daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #121
metroscouse

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
According to the NW Enquirer an American journalist who was covering the Open had the misfortune to stay at The Adelphi. It left him so scarred that he left calling your city 'Cesspool'!
As a museum piece the Aldephi is fine, as a 'first impression' for visitors to 21st century Liverpool it is, i'm afraid, an embarrassment and even worse (judging by the Yank jorno's reaction) a liability.
I'm sure iif he had stayed in the Britannia in Manchester he would have had the same view, that hotel is dirty, infested with bugs and smells. A colleague of mine from London stayed there and went home the same night, she was so disgusted. Take a look at the Trip Advisor reviews!! Don't get me started in Sacha's hotel in Manchester which is owned by the same group.....Its the hotel chain that need to get their act together not the city in which they choose to locate.
metroscouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #122
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

I dont lower myself to inter city petty sniping like some of my esteemed fellow Manc forumers so all i'm saying is that the Adelphi is an awful hotel and i dont give a shit where it is or where the head office of the operating group is.
I'll freely admit that there are plenty of shit hotels in Manchester and i'll be glad to name them but if you look at the top of your screen it says "Best/ Worst hotel in Liverpool?" so lets stick to that shall we?
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #123
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Put your hand on your heart and tell me you would be glad to part with hard earned to stay there?
I dont think the yank over reacted - he just stayed in an shit hotel and i get pretty pissed off aswell when i shell out lots of money to stay in a horrible hotel.
The 'Cesspool' comment makes him a **** though but thats not a first for a) a yank and b) a journalist is it?
If its any consolation the Britannia in Manchester is shit aswell and smells of stale piss and the whole organisation is run by fools.
The Adelphi isnt a 'proper' hotel and it is disingenuous to claim otherwise. Just to claim its run badly doesnt reprieve it - a hotel is only as good as the people who run it.
Ergo - its a shit hotel.
Dear Longy,

I have stayed at the Adelphi - the room itself wasn`t bad, clean and comfortable but at the rear of the hotel so no view.

Like any big hotel service depends on just how busy they are and the time of day.

I have had some excellent meals in the carvery resturant and some that could have been better.

My brother and his wife and their two sons have stayed in the `Adelphi` by choice for many years inbetween my nephews being teenagers and now being in their late thirties and with their own partners as the years went on.

Some of the rooms (or suites) and meals were again excellent others left something to be desired.

The key to running any hotel bar or resturant is meeting someones expectations and at the right price.

Get it wrong and you spoil someones special holiday / anniversary etc

Get it right you`ll be remembered for years in glowing terms.

The `Adelphi` can be wonderful and it can sometimes be poor - that`s down to management and staff primarily and also the guest(s).

If you don`t want to end up in someones `Stag night or hen night` choose carefully.

But business is business and the `Adelphi` is like a not so small town.

I wish it every success.

and it is a proper hotel.....unlike so many other bed sheds.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/

Last edited by Pietari; July 29th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #124
Pietari
Just something

Exclamation Customer from hell.....

P.S.

My family, brother (and his family) and my late sister and her husband often used to stay in various Liverpool hotels (as a treat) inbetween staying with other family.

Some hotels did very well and some others didn`t and I always got the ear ache because I used to be a tourist guide for Liverpool - therefore it was always in my own best interest to try and find the best recommended place at that time.

You can`t always please everyone - even family.

and as an aside I`ve stayed in some dodgy hotels in places including Manchester.

I just don`t plaster it all over some `national` or `regional` newsrag.

I do however expect good service and with a smile and if it`s not I tell them to their face and at the time.
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.

Last edited by Pietari; July 29th, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #125
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

PietariFawlty
Yes granted - i see what you mean by 'proper' now.
But sadly The Adelphi is old fashioned for all the bad reasons and none of the good ones!
It simply doesnt cut it in 21st century and it has so much potential its a shame.
The rooms are too pokey and dingy, the common areas are tatty and confused and there is an air of apathy and despair amongst the staff.
I completely blame the operators because as i said their other hotels are the same.
Its only a matter of time (hopefully) that a decent operator takes it on - spends squillions of quid on it and gives Liverpool a proper 5 star hotel.
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #126
Pietari
Just something

Quote:
PietariFawlty
Yes granted - i see what you mean by 'proper' now.
But sadly The Adelphi is old fashioned for all the bad reasons and none of the good ones!
It simply doesnt cut it in 21st century and it has so much potential its a shame.
The rooms are too pokey and dingy, the common areas are tatty and confused and there is an air of apathy and despair amongst the staff.
I completely blame the operators because as i said their other hotels are the same.
Its only a matter of time (hopefully) that a decent operator takes it on - spends squillions of quid on it and gives Liverpool a proper 5 star hotel.
Largely I agree with you Longy, it could do better.

Whilst it still does have it`s quite special and sometime unique clientel and it probably costs a fortune to run day in and day out (although it does have it`s own electrical supply / generator (?))

It would be nice however to think that one day it might get back more of it`s former glory and that it would have the customers to afford it.

Too many suites have been cut down to get more bed spaces and it has also been used for DHS clients etc.

It can nevertheless be a pleasant experience with that `big hotel` feel.
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #127
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

If i had a squillion quid i'd reconfigure the rooms to create larger suites, get rid of the patterned carpets and heavy oak furniture in the rooms and maybe give over a floor or two to serviced apartments, get a 'name' restauranter and take over the main lobby area, get rid of the ******* Overstuffed Pizza and Fridays and stop selling itself as the 'best value hotel in Liverpool'. This should be the best hotel in liverpool not the best value!
It seems they have refurbed the rooms and the health club but it still looks really old fashioned and a bit tacky IMO.
You just have to go to the Brittania website to see what sort of operation they are running.
Malmasion it aint!
Me and the missus once stayed in the Grand in Scarborough and i'm sure they stuck us in one of the maids rooms!
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #128
Pietari
Just something

Oh yeah and who wore the maids outfit
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #129
metroscouse

Quote:
I dont lower myself to inter city petty sniping like some of my esteemed fellow Manc forumers so all i'm saying is that the Adelphi is an awful hotel and i dont give a shit where it is or where the head office of the operating group is.
I'll freely admit that there are plenty of shit hotels in Manchester and i'll be glad to name them but if you look at the top of your screen it says "Best/ Worst hotel in Liverpool?" so lets stick to that shall we?
You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of my post. I was merely making the point that it is Britannia Hotels that are the problem not the places where they choose to locate, as I have not stayed in any other of their hotels other than the ones in MCR then I could only offer an opinion on those partilcular establishments.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #130
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2009

Thumbs up Here's something a bit different for Liverpool.

Come and stay in our pod hotel

POD living is coming to Liverpool at the new-look Parr Street studios hotel.

The new owners, who rescued the studio complex from being sold off to property developers last month, have ambitious plans for the city centre site, starting with an upgrade of the hotel including a 21st century version of Japanese-style pods, which new boss Gary Millar says will "make a bit of a splash internationally".

Pod hotel rooms were invented by the Japanese in the 1990s due to lack of development space in the capital Tokyo.

They were synonymous with so-called "love hotels" frequented by Japanese businessmen.

But Mr Millar, chief executive of Parr Street Studios Ltd, said: "They will be more sophisticated than the Japanese 'love hotels' and their use will be purely for affordable sleep and relaxation - we'll leave the love to the Japanese."

The pods will be installed early next year to extend capacity beyond the current 12 rooms which have largely been used by musicians recording in the adjacent studios, including chart topping bands Echo and the Bunnymen and Coldplay.

Mr Millar said the rooms will be refurbished first, followed by installation of at least five pods.

He said St Helens-based Starbank Panel Products will build the pods which he is designing.

He anticipates each pod will include a single-level soundproofed sleeping chamber with a single bed, storage, internet connection, LCD screen/DVD player, iPod connection, speakers, LED daylight light, air cooler and showerwhere possible.

He said overnight charges are expected to be £25+VAT and support services like laundry, meal deliveries and business services will be offered.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #131
T0M
Scousish

Excellent news, always good to see something inovative being launched in Liverpool, especially in such an important site, and using local companies to do the work!
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #132
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

I probably do know where/what this building is, does anyone have a picture or know where it is...!

Quote:
10/8/2006
Former Liverpool Shipping HQ to be converted into a luxury boutique hotel
Liverpool-based development company Property Regeneration Group has submitted a planning application which will see Union House transformed into a thirty one-bedroom boutique hotel. The building still boasts many of its original features, including a mural, which will be incorporated in the new scheme.

If the plans are successful then work will commence on the £3 million development in autumn, with completion set for summer 2007. The hotel will feature one of the finest cocktail lounges in the city, as well as a luxurious restaurant. The penthouse suites will all include rooftop hot tubs and giant telescopes, which will set this hotel apart from the competition.

City Residential’s Alan Bevan said: “With the increase in overseas tourists visiting the city, the Alexander Hotel will be an excellent addition to Liverpool’s hotel offer. Developments such as this hotel are really helping to put Liverpool on the map as a desirable place to both visit and live.”
Rooftop hot tubs with telescopes.....! The blooming pervs.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #133
metroscouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
I probably do know where/what this building is, does anyone have a picture or know where it is...!

Rooftop hot tubs with telescopes.....! The blooming pervs.
Its located at Union House on Victoria Street, should be a great addittion to Liverpool's growing boutique hotel scene...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM   #134
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 163

Hope St. Hotel

DP reports that planning permission was granted yesterday for the expansion of the hotel with an additional 43 rooms taking it to 82 rooms in total. A spokeswoman for the company said that the enlarged hotel will increase the confidence to branch out and develop the brand around the country. Although the planning committee unanimously passed the plans there has been strong opposition from local residents especially about the level of noise and number of delivery vehicles.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #135
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 1001

It's the middle of the ******* city centre. What do they expect? It was all well and good for the ***** when the city was dead because they could don their overcoats and toppers and ponce around pretending they were in some ******* Dickens novel.

Such a shame the Georgian area in Liverpool is showing ******* signs of regenerating, eh?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #136
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman
It's the middle of the ******* city centre. What do they expect? It was all well and good for the ***** when the city was dead because they could don their overcoats and toppers and ponce around pretending they were in some ******* Dickens novel.

Such a shame the Georgian area in Liverpool is showing ******* signs of regenerating, eh?

Yes Bunnyman the residents have done everything possible over the last year or so to try and scupper this great success story.
Great that they failed in this latest attempt.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #137
T0M
Scousish

This is fantastic news! Having had the priviledge and pleasure of staying in the Hope Street hotel I'm really excited about this expansion, it really deserves the first class reputation it's gained and is exactly the sort of development the city, and this area needs.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #138
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman

Bizzarre, isn't it? Like those ****ers who move to the countryside and then lobby the council to do something about the neighbour who keeps animals!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM   #139
T0M
Scousish

Well it's nice to have an example of common sense ruling over personal stupidity, for once! It's a shame the planning department only seem to apply good logic to buildings under 20 storeys.
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #140
Pietari
Just something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
DP reports that planning permission was granted yesterday for the expansion of the hotel with an additional 43 rooms taking it to 82 rooms in total.

I like the extension too - even though it`s not in keeping with the original building.

In fact it could hardly be more diffrent and the better for it.

It almost looks chicken and egg.....in reverse.