daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old December 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #121
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
do you have any other coloured cats?
Shall I start a new thread called "West Midlands cat chat"??

I have the black cat that was trying to catch your avatar and a tortoiseshell cat in beige and brown with a bit of pink on her nose and pads.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #122
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
I heard something about a station at the Fort. Not sure what came of it though.

The Public thing is that a broken window cost £40k to repair. A snip!
The architect designed the windows but did not take into account the cost of a broken one. There was a picture in the Metro and The Times of it. Aparently the local authority are seething, rightly so too.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #123
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paulo View Post
I think there's also an extra bit of hope for that line. Aren't they hoping to reopen services to Sutton from Walsall and then onto Walmley, joining the Nuneton line back into Brum (with a station at the Fort)?
Great, something to keep me awake at night!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #124
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 749

It's Sandwell council, it will end up costing £40k for a window anyway.

Here it is...
Quote:
Copyright 2006 Midland Independent Newspapers plc
All Rights Reserved
Birmingham Evening Mail
December 6, 2006, Wednesday
Black Country Edition
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 19

LENGTH: 354 words

HEADLINE: I'm paned by lies about 'pounds 40k glass';
WEST BROMWICH: Window repair will be more like pounds 2,000, says council chief

BYLINE: Steve Johnson

BODY:

A FURIOUS Sandwell Council leader today hit back at claims that a controversial pounds 54 million arts centre in West Bromwich had been landed with a pounds 40,000 bill to replace a single broken window.

Coun Bob Badham, cabinet member for regeneration and transport, said that the reports were "utterly ridiculous" and "grossly misleading."

It had been claimed that the massive bill at The Public, in the town centre, had resulted from the trendy design of the futuristic pink and purple building, which meant workmen had to dismantle part of a wall to get to the broken glass.

But Coun Badham said today that the actual cost of replacing the glass was likely to be about pounds 2,000.

"The claim that a single window at The Public will cost pounds 40,000 to replace is utterly ridiculous and grossly misleading.

"The cost of replacing the glass will depend on a number of factors, but we would expect it to be in the region of pounds 2,000.

"We have not yet had a quotation for this particular repair as the council is currently in the process of taking over responsibility for the completion of the project following the parent company going into administration."

Coun Badham added: "The pounds 40,000 figure in fact refers to the contingency budget built-in for the repair of any damage to all of the windows at The Public over a three-year period.

"Any project on this scale requires such contingency budgets to allow for repairs likely to be needed over the life cycle of the building."

Coun Badham said that a full assessment of the building's condition would be made when work was ready to re-start on the site and it was therefore more economical to delay replacement of the broken window until all work needed was identified.

"The glazing panel in question was broken some time ago through vandalism.

"Laminated glass has been used throughout the building and the damaged panel does not present a danger," he added.

Work on The Public was halted in March because of a cash crisis and the project was out in the hands of administrators.

Sandwell councillors hope that work on the striking building will re-start in the New Year.

GRAPHIC: CONTROVERSIAL... The Public arts centre with its smashed window (bottom right). Inset, Coun Bob Badham

LOAD-DATE: December 6, 2006

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; December 7th, 2006 at 12:11 AM.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #125
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Shall I start a new thread called "West Midlands cat chat"??

I have the black cat that was trying to catch your avatar and a tortoiseshell cat in beige and brown with a bit of pink on her nose and pads.
Aw I like cats

Anyway, back on thread:

From Construction News.

Quote:
Go-ahead for Brierley £27 million road scheme

Transport Minister Gillian Merron has given the go-ahead to a £27 million road improvement scheme for Brierley Hill in the West Midlands.

The Government will contribute £20.32 million of the cost to the Brierley Hill Sustainable Access Network which will aim to reduce congestion away from the Brierley Hill shopping area.

Gillian Merron said: “This is good news for the people of Brierly Hill. The improvements will help to ease the problem of heavy through traffic in and around the shopping area, improving safety, especially for families with young children, and make the area a far more attractive place to live, work and shop.”

Construction is set to start in February 2007 and will take around 18 months.
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #126
Garcha
S1NGH

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know when the New Wolverhampton Shopping centre is going to be started? When do the Bull Dozers come in? Has the funding been approved? Are the architects plans in place, are tenants registering their interest yet? I know nothing about the place these days. I even fly back every 3/4 weeks but I normally run straight through town to the train station off to Bham, or in the car down the Birmingham New Rd.
Garcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #127
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I don't know anything about what goes on there and I permanently live about 4 miles away.
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #128
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 19

Garcha,

Not sure on start dates but I know Debenhams are signed up as the anchor, gives them quite a presence in the Midlands with stores at the Bull Ring, Merry Hill, Walsall and soon Wolvo.

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #129
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 1

Can anyone point me to an informative website!
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #130
Garcha
S1NGH

Likes (Received): 0

Thank you Hammerb24, perhaps when the boards start appearing and the existing tenants in the areas start closing down I will believe. Not that I refuse to believe, I'm sure things will happen. It seems like big plans are made to arouse interest and support and media attention. Then plans get scaled down when reality (i.e. Budgets/Cost Analyses etc) finally hits home. A Debenhams might not be too bad, as long as its a little more compact. I don't think it needs to be the same size as Beatties. And if Wolverhampton could bring in another well known Department Store it would anchor the development more. I'm sure a John Lewis wouldn't go down too badly, especially if more Grade A/B office space can be provided around the St.Johns development. Something for planners to consider maybe. I'm sure they have.
Garcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #131
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Speaking to some of the tenants, they do not know themselves.

I heard a few months back the money had run dry, architects may pull the designs. Also, Wolverhampton is struggling in the retail sector (counted 17 shops empty), so may not be a good thing to build within the next 5-10 years.

There is not much interest for office space either. City is going the same way as Dudley IMHO.
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #132
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Debenhams are anchoring the new shopping centre in Telford too (or was it Lichfield...?)
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #133
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
Speaking to some of the tenants, they do not know themselves.

I heard a few months back the money had run dry, architects may pull the designs. Also, Wolverhampton is struggling in the retail sector (counted 17 shops empty), so may not be a good thing to build within the next 5-10 years.

There is not much interest for office space either. City is going the same way as Dudley IMHO.

I do wonder if in a year or two when they introduce car parking charges at Merry Hill things may improve a bit at Dudley and Wolverhampton with people not wanting to pay at Merry Hill and therefore returning to the "original" towns, but not always the best.
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #134
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

You have to pay in Dudley though mate. Is free this xmas time though.
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #135
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Yeah I know, but Dudley and Wolverhampton would then be more equal with Merry Hill - in terms of parking fees of course - so a few peeps might return cos the free parking at Merry Hill won't lure them anymore. But of course parking isn't everything.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #136
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Nice pic of the Oysters Building that goes with this - we have have it on this thread already.

From the Birmingham Post:

Quote:
AWM cash will trigger £50m for waterfront

The multi-million pound Walsall Waterfront project - the flagship regeneration scheme aimed at transforming the heart of Walsall town centre - has moved a step closer after Advantage West Midlands approved a key package of funding.

The regional development agency's injection of £13.8 million will be the catalyst for the first major phase of construction on 2.9 acres of vacant and derelict land.

A programme of clearance work will make way for a vibrant, high-quality mixed-use development that will include 103,000 sq ft offices, 34,000 sq ft of retail and leisure space, 154 apartments and 630 car park spaces.

First phase construction work includes plans for the iconic Oysters buildings - so called because of their shape - which are in effect a single oval-shaped multi-storey building cut in half by the canal.

The scheme also includes a four-storey office building on stilts, innovatively designed commercial buildings and a 'living green' car park covered in plants.

Walsall Council has already granted planning permission to the scheme, which is being delivered by award-winning developers Urban Splash and promoted by the Walsall Regeneration Company.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #137
Biosonic
Second Citizen

More good news for the Black Country (from the Evening Mail):

Quote:
WORK is finally set to start on a US-style leisure and retail complex creating 1,750 jobs - ten years after the huge scheme was first mooted.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott gave his seal of approval to The Junction project at Oldbury in November 2004 after "calling in" the £100 million scheme and ordering a public inquiry.

The Junction is modelled on a scheme in Los Angeles which revived a rundown area.

It has taken until this month to finalise details of the scheme, and the developers of the complex have announced that work will start in the summer.

The massive complex on a derelict 32-acre site near the A457 Dudley Road will boast skating rinks, a football centre, shops, restaurants and bars. Developers hope it will finally be up and running by November next year.

The Junction has been given planning consent for revised proposals which will breathe new life into land bounded by Dudley Road, Roway Lane, West Bromwich Street, Bromford Road and Fountain Lane.

Ian Harris, director of development at The Junction, said today: "We are going to have a mix of national retailers, sports facilities, football pitches, bars and restaurants and offices.

"We are delighted with the Sandwell Council decision to approve our enhanced proposals for regenerating Oldbury town centre and the team is now hard at work to take this scheme forward.

"We hope to start work on site this summer with November 2008 as the target for completion.

"The Junction Oldbury Shopping Park will link into the town centre, significantly improving the retail and leisure facilities on offer in the area while creating considerable employment, economic and social benefits for the community.

"The re-submission for planning consideration was in response to changes in the national retail market and our planned amendments support the deliverability of this exciting proposal."

Coun Bob Badham, of Sandwell Council, said: "I welcome the fact this important scheme is finally getting off the ground.

"The scheme now proposed is in keeping with the spirit of the original development and even an improvement on it."
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #138
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I remember hearing about this ages ago and I drive past this site every time I drive into Birmingham and always wonder when they're gonna start this. So thanks for that Bio.
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #139
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Debenhams are anchoring the new shopping centre in Telford too (or was it Lichfield...?)
Not us mate, we've had Debenhams for about 15-20 years.
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #140
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Ah. 'tis Lichfield then!

Tags
walsall, wolverhampton