daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM   #21
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

Ahh Brass Eye, the best current affairs progtamme of the '90s.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 31st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #22
Dicky Sam's
Lifer Pol

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigie_Mann
anyone drink in west derby village?

Not anymore, as Gareth said, its full of plazzy gangsters in their Paul & Shark cardies, who have just been dropped off outside the Sefton by mummy driving her latest fella's BMW.

I do frequent the Jolly Miller regularly though....
Dicky Sam's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:02 PM   #23
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Sam's
I do frequent the Jolly Miller regularly though....
Nice pub the Miller is.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #24
General Zod
General Zod

Keep kids out

IN response to Paddy Shennan's comments and apparent disapproval of the George Hotel (pub) policy of no children allowed (ECHO, August 1): I am a pensioner and have the odd drink locally in the pub or club. Having witnessed the unacceptable behaviour of children while doing so, I disagree with your columnist on this issue.

Just recently, while having a quiet pint in a local pub bar, some kids - watched by their parents - started throwing the pool table balls around the table, picking up the cues and running amok around the bar room.

All this was witnessed by the bar staff who appeared unconcerned. I finished my drink vowing not to return to that hostelry again.

Name and address supplied

This letter was in the Echo today. He's not just a miserable old man he has a point, I can't stand kids in bars. Parents should know better. Years ago kids were not allowed in pubs full stop but now it seems to be the case that if a pub serves food then kids are allowed to run all over the place and get up your nose. I don't have a problem with designated family pubs such as the 'Wacky Warehouse' where it is made clear it is for kids to run around whilst the parents eat their £5.99 chicken Kiev and chips. When they are in your local boozer messing your pool balls around and spilling your pint that is out of order.

Can you tell I don't have kids of my own ?

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #25
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Kids no. But dogs yes. Not much seen nowadays. I think the decline of the tradition of the British pub dog, happily snuffling around and snaffling crisps, peanuts and discarded pork scratchings is a great pity.

When I first went to the pub, old blokes would come in with their hound, order a pint of mild and a saucerful of the same "for the dog". Dogs love beer and they love pubs, maybe even more than men do. They shouldn't be denied them.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #26
General Zod
General Zod

Yeah, there used to be a few in the Birkey in Crosby. No one seemed to mind this black labrador roaming around getting fussed over. Health and safety will have us believe that stroking dogs and drinking beer at the same time will kill us.

www.generalzod.net/
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #27
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Frig, the Birkey. Haven't been there for a while. Had a mate who worked behind the bar their c.1989. Still got a middle class/couples: smellies apartheid divide between the bars?

The Crows Nest is a nice old pub. Surely you could get away with a dog in there. The Merchants/St Mary's rugby old boys posse in their used to piss me off a bit though. Also when I was about eighteen some public bar low-life had a go at me for "sitting in his seat". Like he owned it: "Listen lad, I've been drinking in this pub since I was fourteen". My response of "well, doesn't that make you a sad ****?" did little to ameliorate the situation.

I used to like Waterloo for pubs, the Volly (ie. the Volunteer Canteen), Victoria, drinking with octagenarians in the Marine ,where I had my first pint of Cains. (think that one's closed now). Coupla "trendy wine bars" on South Road nowadays aren't there? Not like my day.
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #28
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

Zod,

I know what you mean about kids in pubs. It's fair enough when it's one of those 'Jungle Bungle', Wheatsheaf stylee's. There are some chain pubs I have been in where there have been toddlers and other kids screaming and running around. Nothing could possibly put me off my pint more. To be fair, my parents used to take myself and my sister to some places- but we were under strict orders to behave ourselves. Fortunately, the pubs I tend to drink in (those serving proper, cask ales) don't attract young families.
Iwent to a really vile place in Leeds called the Lawnswood the other week on my way home from work. I felt ashamed to be in there- it was like a ******* infant school.- one with no teachers or discipline.
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #29
General Zod
General Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo
Frig, the Birkey. Haven't been there for a while. Had a mate who worked behind the bar their c.1989. Still got a middle class/couples: smellies apartheid divide between the bars?

The Crows Nest is a nice old pub. Surely you could get away with a dog in there. The Merchants/St Mary's rugby old boys posse in their used to piss me off a bit though. Also when I was about eighteen some public bar low-life had a go at me for "sitting in his seat". Like he owned it: "Listen lad, I've been drinking in this pub since I was fourteen". My response of "well, doesn't that make you a sad ****?" did little to ameliorate the situation.

I used to like Waterloo for pubs, the Volly (ie. the Volunteer Canteen), Victoria, drinking with octagenarians in the Marine ,where I had my first pint of Cains. (think that one's closed now). Coupla "trendy wine bars" on South Road nowadays aren't there? Not like my day.

Just to update you on the Crosby Waterloo scene. The Birkey has been done up and is a bot cozier but as you say, it still has that divide from middle class couples/posh kids/old men who want to read a book alone and the smellies/biker/student thing. I still go there and oddly enough enjoy both sides.

The Crow's nest has never changed and never will. Been in there a few times but I have never had the 'You are in my seat' thing. I would just tell him that he was in the wrong western.

The Volley in Waterloo is the same as ever with waitress service. A nice old pub. The marine has been done out and the old men totally evicted. It's now a bar that attracts a similar crowd as the Liver. Couples in their 30's and 40's and a few drunken singles sniffing around for scraps. Hmmm nice. Music too loud and crap and a trendy but windy beer garden. There are a few so called 'Trendy bars' now down South Road which are totally forgettable and could be from anywhere in the country. Late teens/early 20's folks enjoying their early years drinking experiences with no real conversation going on. They are called Stamps 2, Wilson's and Parnells. You can still get a cheap pint and a fight in the Raven or the Lion and Unicorn if you are that way inclined. I am !

www.generalzod.net/
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #30
General Zod
General Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbernsmoke
Zod,

I know what you mean about kids in pubs. It's fair enough when it's one of those 'Jungle Bungle', Wheatsheaf stylee's. There are some chain pubs I have been in where there have been toddlers and other kids screaming and running around. Nothing could possibly put me off my pint more. To be fair, my parents used to take myself and my sister to some places- but we were under strict orders to behave ourselves. Fortunately, the pubs I tend to drink in (those serving proper, cask ales) don't attract young families.
Iwent to a really vile place in Leeds called the Lawnswood the other week on my way home from work. I felt ashamed to be in there- it was like a ******* infant school.- one with no teachers or discipline.

If you are a bar manager and want to keep kids out the answer is simple; don't serve food, don't make the place child friendly, encourage cigar smoking, leave broken glasses on the floor, allow prostitutes to use the bathroom facilities, don't have any parking spaces so families in their 4X4's can't just pull in and experience the delights, have Liverpool and Everton memorabilia over the walls in a mish mash pattern to stimulate debate leading to fights, have pictures of women dressed in fettish gear in the bogs (See Wilson's bar on South Road), ensure there is always one Gin hag in her late 40's in a short dress at the bar as the local bike, mess the coins up on the pool table so the scally's don't know who's go it is next resulting in a Burt Reynolds style bar fight, put death metal albums on the duke box, allow pikeys in to sell Mach 3 blades and socks and have a sign on your door that say's 'No children'. Then and only then may the kids stay away. Anyone got any other ideas ?

www.generalzod.net/
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #31
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
Just to update you on the Crosby Waterloo scene. The Birkey has been done up and is a bot cozier but as you say, it still has that divide from middle class couples/posh kids/old men who want to read a book alone and the smellies/biker/student thing. I still go there and oddly enough enjoy both sides.

The Crow's nest has never changed and never will. Been in there a few times but I have never had the 'You are in my seat' thing. I would just tell him that he was in the wrong western.

The Volley in Waterloo is the same as ever with waitress service. A nice old pub. The marine has been done out and the old men totally evicted. It's now a bar that attracts a similar crowd as the Liver. Couples in their 30's and 40's and a few drunken singles sniffing around for scraps. Hmmm nice. Music too loud and crap and a trendy but windy beer garden. There are a few so called 'Trendy bars' now down South Road which are totally forgettable and could be from anywhere in the country. Late teens/early 20's folks enjoying their early years drinking experiences with no real conversation going on. They are called Stamps 2, Wilson's and Parnells. You can still get a cheap pint and a fight in the Raven or the Lion and Unicorn if you are that way inclined. I am !
Cheers for getting me back up to speed Zod. I'm having an weekend on the booze this week back on the auld sod. Waterloo might be involved.

I've been in the Lion and Unicorn once. Filled me with fear.

Might go and sniff around for scraps in the Marine. All said, a very useful briefing Zod!
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #32
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Zod, you know it is not fair to fight in pubs down South Road. You know that your dense molecular structure is far greater on earth than it is on Krypton, therefore no scallys will be able to kick your head in.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #33
General Zod
General Zod

Ok, I will rephrase that - I would give the scally's an arse kicking. A fight would imply these lacoste wearing yahoos were evenly matched to me. This is not the case. I would sweep them aside with one swift stroke. Then order a pint of guiness and hog the pool table all night.

www.generalzod.net/
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #34
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Quote:
Cheers for getting me back up to speed Zod. I'm having an weekend on the booze this week back on the auld sod. Waterloo might be involved.

I've been in the Lion and Unicorn once. Filled me with fear.

Might go and sniff around for scraps in the Marine. All said, a very useful briefing Zod!
Kids in pubs properly piss me off. Went in the Red Lion in Litherland last year and there was a pure scumbag family in there with 2 toddlers and a 10 month kid in a pram, they were all pissed and smoking tons of ciggies right over the baby in the pram, I swear to god I thought I saw them put Stella in its bottle!. The 2 kids were the usual hyperactive lot who get bored so then feel it is ok to piss everyone off in the pub by shouting and rolling around on the floor. Of course their parents do nothing about it cos they are too busy getting gassed. No kids should be allowed in pubs at busy times. When I was a kid I would be fascinated by pubs only cos of juke boxes and fruit machines but was never allowed in one so had to wait until I was 15.

As regards South Road, its getting a lot better down there, soon it will end up like Lark Lane as every empty shop seems to turn into a bar or restaurant.

Awayo, don't go to Esperanto's though, its shit, full of women who look & act like the knicker sewers in Baldwins' factory in Corrie and the guy who owns it grabs the Mike and thinks he's Waterloo's answer to Tony Bennett.

The Alex over the road is rough, been in there and seen a few fights, plus I think you have to pay to get in which is a load of bollocks.

If you want to go "fishing for scraps" the Late Lounge in Moor Lane Crosby is great, even John Merrick can pull in there.

Most of the other pubs in South Road are much of a muchness, the Raven is still rough, the Old Bank is ok after it has been done up, the Liver is crap unless you are a regular and know the bar staff who treat "strangers" like they are Mirage's. Parnells and Sixty South are ok, if a little poncey, in sixty south there is an upper floor like in Edwards in Matthew Street and you can look up all the birds' skirts from the ground floor. Wilsons is dead pretentious with "Fashion TV" on all day and is never ever full. The Marine is ok but again the bar staff are shite and only serve the regulars. The Lion & Unicorn can be scary but there are a few decent loose women in there so thats all good but General Zod will be in there kicking scallies heads in this weekend I think. Touchwood, down the road is quiet, no scallys and has a decent selection of ale but the bands they get are obsessed by Crowded House and only play music from 1992.

I hope that this report is of some use to you. Maybe I should write a book!
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #35
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Red Lion in Litherland

Another ten minutes walk and you could've had one of the best pints of your life in the Jubilee on Hatton Hill Rd, or looked uber_trendy in the Bar Brookie-esque Priory.

Sorry, but what posessed you to even consider the Red Lion as a watering hole?
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #36
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix 1985
Kids in pubs properly piss me off. Went in the Red Lion in Litherland last year and there was a pure scumbag family in there with 2 toddlers and a 10 month kid in a pram, they were all pissed and smoking tons of ciggies right over the baby in the pram, I swear to god I thought I saw them put Stella in its bottle!. The 2 kids were the usual hyperactive lot who get bored so then feel it is ok to piss everyone off in the pub by shouting and rolling around on the floor. Of course their parents do nothing about it cos they are too busy getting gassed. No kids should be allowed in pubs at busy times. When I was a kid I would be fascinated by pubs only cos of juke boxes and fruit machines but was never allowed in one so had to wait until I was 15.

As regards South Road, its getting a lot better down there, soon it will end up like Lark Lane as every empty shop seems to turn into a bar or restaurant.

Awayo, don't go to Esperanto's though, its shit, full of women who look & act like the knicker sewers in Baldwins' factory in Corrie and the guy who owns it grabs the Mike and thinks he's Waterloo's answer to Tony Bennett.

The Alex over the road is rough, been in there and seen a few fights, plus I think you have to pay to get in which is a load of bollocks.

If you want to go "fishing for scraps" the Late Lounge in Moor Lane Crosby is great, even John Merrick can pull in there.

Most of the other pubs in South Road are much of a muchness, the Raven is still rough, the Old Bank is ok after it has been done up, the Liver is crap unless you are a regular and know the bar staff who treat "strangers" like they are Mirage's. Parnells and Sixty South are ok, if a little poncey, in sixty south there is an upper floor like in Edwards in Matthew Street and you can look up all the birds' skirts from the ground floor. Wilsons is dead pretentious with "Fashion TV" on all day and is never ever full. The Marine is ok but again the bar staff are shite and only serve the regulars. The Lion & Unicorn can be scary but there are a few decent loose women in there so thats all good but General Zod will be in there kicking scallies heads in this weekend I think. Touchwood, down the road is quiet, no scallys and has a decent selection of ale but the bands they get are obsessed by Crowded House and only play music from 1992.

I hope that this report is of some use to you. Maybe I should write a book!
Ace! Another top notch briefing. Cheers Arnie, I'll print that and take it out with me.

My fave pub in the Waterloo area was always the Victoria which is a couple of streets south of South Road, across from the Royal Hotel - nice mix of people, or at least it did have years ago.

The plan is start at (God knows why - we're not 18 any longer) 5 O'clock in Formby and Miseryrail it southwards throughout the night. I think at least six hours drinking and a foul-stinking combination of curries and kebabs along the way will deter even the pitiful scraps we could have hoped for, even in this intriguing-sounding Late Lounge.

Off topic anecdote: Half Man Half Biscuit planned to call on their albums "Merseyrail Stinks of Shit". They didn't in the end though.
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #37
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman

Another ten minutes walk and you could've had one of the best pints of your life in the Jubilee on Hatton Hill Rd, or looked uber_trendy in the Bar Brookie-esque Priory.

Sorry, but what posessed you to even consider the Red Lion as a watering hole?
The Priory is ok but its more like Litherlands' answer to the George in Crosby. As far as the Red Lion is concerned, I only go there cos I go the gym above it and I know Sid the owner. Other than that I probably would not have gone in there. Its the only pub in Seaforth/Litherland I feel safe in!

Ma Kents and the "Assalty" are not the best either
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #38
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Quote:
Ace! Another top notch briefing. Cheers Arnie, I'll print that and take it out with me.

My fave pub in the Waterloo area was always the Victoria which is a couple of streets south of South Road, across from the Royal Hotel - nice mix of people, or at least it did have years ago.

The plan is start at (God knows why - we're not 18 any longer) 5 O'clock in Formby and Miseryrail it southwards throughout the night. I think at least six hours drinking and a foul-stinking combination of curries and kebabs along the way will deter even the pitiful scraps we could have hoped for, even in this intriguing-sounding Late Lounge.

Off topic anecdote: Half Man Half Biscuit planned to call on their albums "Merseyrail Stinks of Shit". They didn't in the end though.
Quality stuff, if you are out down South Road, you should finish in the Gate of India aka "the gate of death" - you will get served all night too. You should venture to the Late Lounge at some point as it is a pure meat market. It is like a modern day Crosby Squash Club. The "Squashy" is on the place where Hearts health club is now and was populated by Crosby characters on the sniff and the same "bikes" in there every week!, it closed in the early 90's though after I worked there for about a year. The squash courts and pool room used to come in handy for lads who could not take girls back to their parents house!

As regards to your Miseryrail journey, have you ever done the Liverpool-Southport piss up? Buying a saveaway and stopping off at every station on the way? - you have to miss a few out like Bank Hall, Hall Rd and Blundellsands cos there are no pubs near the station. Went the Railway in Formby as its a close stagger from the station, after Formby my memory of pub names became a bit hazy, I even had to walk from Southport up to Freshfield on the way back as I couldnt get a taxi to take me back to Crosby!

Its a quality piss up, well worth doing if you have a full day and a load of cash!
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #39
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Quote:

The Vic is not bad, quite quiet but never any trouble, the Waterloo Tavern is rough and had the illegal substances warnings on the walls last time I went in.
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #40
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 935

Saltbox isn't that bad. Is Jimmy Banks still the landlord? Queens on Knowsley Rd has to be the worst pub in the area.

Tags
public houses, pubs