daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #41
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman
Saltbox isn't that bad. Is Jimmy Banks still the landlord? Queens on Knowsley Rd has to be the worst pub in the area.
Haven't been in there for ages, last time i went in I was 18 and it was like the start of American Werewolf in London, just drunk my pint and got off. My brother was doing a building survey in there last year and a Chinese guy turned up selling DVD's and a few scallies beat him up and robbed his gear, they even tried to nick my brothers survey gear. Maybe a Chinese gangmaster might turn up there enquiring about who robbed his DVD's.

The Caradoc hasnt been done up since 1966, the Seaforth Castle is full of scumbags, the Manor House got torched a few months back and is now just an open space.

My brother does a rough pub tour of Seaforth/Bootle every few months and says its a good laugh, some pubs in Bootle are a bit rough too.

Sponsored Links

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #42
General Zod
General Zod

Likes (Received): 0

I went on a dodgy pub tour last May - Seaforth through to Bootle. Pure starwars bars in Seaforth. Some Bootle pubs are not too bad. We set off from my house and made our way to the Caradoc. When we arrived it was boarded up ! We found that hilarious. A sign of a pub being dodgy is when it is boarded up. So too was St. Winifreds which has re-opened under the new name 'The Gateway hotel'. A nice but bizare pub. They have a life size statue of Mike Tyson in there and he looks just like the bad guy from Live and let die. Next on the agenda was the Seaforth Castle. I was the only guy in there with no scars on my face. The type of place where they mop up teeth and eyeballs at closing. Onto the Seaforth arms. A nice pub but it has seen better days - hasn't been done up for decades and looks very worn. Still, a lot better than the railway which was a filth pit. The carpets are held together by dirt and ancient chewing gum. The Red lion has a nice function room but the bar is nothing worth of mention. Just a few old men sitting around talking about boxing and football. Ma Kents was a nice pub with a pleasant atmosphere but like a lot of pubs and especially Irish pubs there is an abundance of crap hanging from the ceiling and off the wall. Why have American fire hydrants and half scale effigies of Yoda dangling off the wall ? Salt box isn't worthy of mention. I did start this tour in the early afternoon and I was thankful I visited these places at this time. If I was in these places in the evening I knew I would get filled in. We continued to Bootle. The Pacific, the Linacre, Kingies, Laburnum, The Stanley, the Jawbone, Cat & Fiddle and finished slightly drunk in the Merton. What a day and an eye opener.

I have heard of people doing the northern line with a saveaway- 1 pub to represent each station. Tough in areas like Bank Hall, Hall road etc where there isn't a pub for fair distance. Has anyone else got amazing binge drinking experiences worthy of mention ? I will put the Seaforth to Bootle run forward as part of the capital of culture plans for 2008.

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #43
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

I saw a programme on Bravo on saturday "Britains toughest pubs", there were ones from Glasgow, Buckinghamshire and Portsmouth. Surely there are lots in Liverpool that could fall into this category. If there are any Mersey tour operators on this site, maybe this is a gap in the market. After all, it is part of Liverpools' culture.

I suggest a "rough pub tour game" - you get points for viewing fights, seeing people take drugs, being offered knock off gear and viewing general rough pub behaviour. You get more points for participating in fights, being offered/taking drugs, getting a blow job off the rough barmaid or shagging the "exotic dancers" on stage. Apparently Paul May from Crosby is good at the last 2.

By the way, the pub at Bank Hall is burnt down so you would have to walk down the Dock Road to have a pint on that saveaway pub crawl.
The Penny Farthing is good to do Christmas shopping in too. I knew a lad who went in there and some smackhead offered to rob him a Lacoste shirt that he was going to pay 90 quid for. The smackhead kindly did it for 40. Once in possession of the shirt the lad tried to pull a bag of liquid off the tag put it exploded and went over his shirt, as it made no stains he was not bothered but he still put in the wash just incase. He wore it out to town one night and went under an ultraviolet light which highlighted a massive purple splash all over the back of his nice new lemon shirt!
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #44
General Zod
General Zod

I have heard rumours that there is a mother and daughter strip show in the Caradoc on Friday afternoon. Classy. I need to go on another rough pub tour. I will do Bootle through to Anfield this time picking up from where I left off. I will start in the Munkey.

www.generalzod.net/
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #45
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

I have heard rumours about these places but I got dragged to the Goat on the dock road by my mate once only to find that there were no Yorkshire Rippers but just a bunch of old fellas sitting round talking about the 60's sipping their Mild. It was very disappointing.

I will have to see this performance at the Caradoc. I went past a pub the other day on the way into Old Swan called the Shiel Park and it had adverts for "exotic dancers", this is what should be happening, if you are perverted enough to have live sex shows in your pubs, you should not be coy about promoting the fact.
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #46
General Zod
General Zod

Here here ! There should be more stripping in pubs. I am tired of paying a fortune in Dreamers all the time. I want to see some bargain basement free dancing. Quantity not quality.

Perhaps this is the answer to one of my previous Zod rants about having children in pubs. Any parent who lets there kid go into a boozy, smokey environment with strippers dancing on the table should be made to hand over their children to social services. I'm up for it. Pint, ciggy, boobs, no kids. I would drink in a place like this.

www.generalzod.net/
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #47
Keayman

Likes (Received): 30

Just resurrecting a bit of an oldie thread here. Check these pubs out:

http://pic7.piczo.com/inacityliving/?g=41057337

and

http://pic7.piczo.com/inacityliving/?g=43555768

You've got till 11pm then you'll have to double up
Keayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #48
boychild

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Kids no. But dogs yes. Not much seen nowadays. I think the decline of the tradition of the British pub dog, happily snuffling around and snaffling crisps, peanuts and discarded pork scratchings is a great pity.

When I first went to the pub, old blokes would come in with their hound, order a pint of mild and a saucerful of the same "for the dog". Dogs love beer and they love pubs, maybe even more than men do. They shouldn't be denied them.
There used to be a fella who drank in the Swan on Wood st in the 80s called Dev who used to bring his cat in with him. It used to sit on his shoulder like a parrot .
boychild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #49
Ged
If I come back my ISP will be contacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keayman View Post
Just resurrecting a bit of an oldie thread here. Check these pubs out:

http://pic7.piczo.com/inacityliving/?g=41057337

and

http://pic7.piczo.com/inacityliving/?g=43555768

You've got till 11pm then you'll have to double up

Thats a fantastic website you have there Keayman.
I have not seen a collection of Liverpool pub photo's like that in my life.
Thanks for taking the time to show them.
Ged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #50
Keayman

Thank you Ged, even got a little smiley of you necking a guiness there too
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #51
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 164

Baltic Fleet looking great after its re-painting.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #52
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2025

That's looking very smart.
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #53
Keayman

It does indeed Doug.

The earlier posting about the Strippers in the Caradoc got me to thinking about when I worked in Dale st in the 80s, one of our hauliers shot us along to the Union on the corner of Commercial Road/Sandhills next to the B.A.T.

A stripper invited a punter to rub oil into her bumcheeks then she proceeded to do an elegant forward roll. She looked anything but elegant though when she returned to her feet with used matchsticks and a couple of ciggy butts stuck to her arse - class.

They used to hold Laurel & Hardy nights in the Baltic Fleet but I haven't been there for years now.
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #54
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 1387

Saw the occasional stripper here when I was doing my A levels nearby:

http://flickr.com/photos/dave_sincla...os/2530368607/
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #55
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 164

The Crack.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #56
Martin S

Likes (Received): 618

Does anyone have any memories of the Langton Castle hotel, which is on the corner of Regent Road and Nelson Street in Bootle?

My grandfather was the landlord back in the 1930s and my mother and her three brothers grew up there. In those days, the overhead railway went straight in front of their upstairs windows.

I took my mum and one of my uncles back there several years ago. It was still open but we didn't stay as it was not quite how they remembered it. It has been boarded up for a number of years now and I guess it will be demolished when they get round to it - still it was a great place in its heyday.

Last edited by Martin S; July 15th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #57
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 67

Such a shame, its a beautiful building and would be great if it was saved, though not likely
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #58
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

There are some beauties that have been left to rot and will no doubt eventually be pulled down and too many have been lost already - it seems a bit of a pity that the potential for these buildings to serve as a community resource hasn't been utilised. They would make excellent resource centres, enabling groups to meet, internet and general IT services to be accessed, and so on.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #59
Keayman

The Crack has a small room where some Boer war manoevers were planned.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #60
Martin S

Likes (Received): 618

Just realised that I posted the same photo twice of the Langton Castle - edited now.

It would be nice to see the pub refurbished and put back as the centre of its community but it really belongs to the days when the dock road was buzzing with activity. It is now just by the entrance to the Freeport and it is a very isolated location.

There are pubs like that all over Liverpool, which were once thriving hubs for their locality but are now deserted and awaiting the demolition man.

Tags
public houses, pubs