daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #61
adman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Roberts View Post
Baltic Fleet looking great after its re-painting.

Doug,
love the pub pics, but if you think the new re-paint jobby of the Baltic is an improvement, you need your eyes tested. It's so fucking anodyne
adman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #62
General Zod returns

Likes (Received): 94

The outside is deffinately an improvement. Haven't been down there for months but the inside could do with a lick of paint. Also, the bogs need doing up. Beelzebub himself is scared to go in there. Good pub otherwise - nice liner funnel idea with the black and red chimney - Lawrence Llwelyn Bown must have threw in an idea there.

I raised this debate ages ago, nice to see it rear it's head once more. There is an article on the BBC website about local boozers closing down. Noticed it around by mine in Seaforth. Then again, the Castle and the Seaforth arms closing is nothing worth shedding a tear over. Pubs need to move with the times or die off.
General Zod returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM   #63
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

The Masquerade is a good boozer. Tatty, camp and cheesy yes, but genuine and you can often meet nice folk there.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #64
General Zod returns

It's a tatty gay bar alright. The first time I went in there I thought I was going to walk straight into the blue oyster from police academy but it was just a flea pit with two old men with an Alsation. This was straight after work on a Wednseday though. Forshame to all gays for letting me down
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #65
Stanley Park

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod returns View Post
The outside is deffinately an improvement. Haven't been down there for months but the inside could do with a lick of paint. Also, the bogs need doing up. Beelzebub himself is scared to go in there. Good pub otherwise - nice liner funnel idea with the black and red chimney - Lawrence Llwelyn Bown must have threw in an idea there.

I raised this debate ages ago, nice to see it rear it's head once more. There is an article on the BBC website about local boozers closing down. Noticed it around by mine in Seaforth. Then again, the Castle and the Seaforth arms closing is nothing worth shedding a tear over. Pubs need to move with the times or die off.
The new colour scheme is bland. I preferred the previous colour scheme. You're spot on about the inside needing a lick of paint. Talk about a job done on the cheap. It's like some kind of House of Horrors upstairs.
Stanley Park no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:57 PM   #66
General Zod returns

I went to the Vernon on Stanley Street last week which has recently been re-opened. They have re-furbished it to look the way it did about 10 years ago. Aparently it was stripped and used by squatters for the last few years. Not a bad little pub in the business district. Nice to see a good old pub open when so many are closing. Only downside was I only saw three women in there and one included the one I was with. If you need a break from women babble it is a good escape.
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #67
Keayman

Likes (Received): 30

A map from 1875 showing the ugly facts that there are 68 drinking places within 100 yards radius of St. Johns Market and how it is simply a disgrace to the authorities responsible for the licensing of such premises.

The text and map are courtesy of Freddy O'Connors volume one of four of a pub on every corner.

Count how many are there now. Probably not a lot has changed?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Take this corner for instance.

That is the Royal Court theatre on the left and you are lookinbg up Gt Charlotte st past the market on the right. Great Charlotte st now only exists from Lewis's, past Blacklers to the Precinct but used to run right down to Queens Square where the Marriot Hotel now is. There were 4 pubs in a row on Gt Charlotte street on the map (numbered 13-16) and 6 out of 8 properties in a row were pubs.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

As you look down Upper Dawson street past the army stores on the corner, with the books, you look past the grapes and the sticky out bit in the distance is the curved Theatre Royal which became the Union Cold Stores and fronted onto Williamson Sq. When you are in the Precinct, the exists still show the way out to these old streets such as Dawson Way and Houghton Street etc even though they don't really exist as such now.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Yes, I know my arrows are terrible but hope you get the jist.

This view is looking into Queens Square where the fruit and veg were sold at the front of the Stork Hotel which was still there in the very early 70s. The Stork is mentioned on the map.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Houghton Street, looking up towards Cases St. You will notice that pub No.50 on the map is the Belmont as clearly seen on Colin Wilkinson's 1963 Colour photo of the street.

Map and 1st three pics in this reply courtesy of the LRO

1963 pic of Houghton St thanks to Colin Wilkinson

Last pic 2010 is mine.
Keayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #68
Louis1986

i love that picture of gt charlotte street up the side of the royal court, shows what has been lost! Id imagine if the old market had of stayed it would have been like spittlefields now or covent garden!
Louis1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #69
Evertonian
BANNED

Quote:
Pubs are absolutely vital in the fight against public disorder, since they are liscenced and policed/security covered. The staff can also refuse to serve if people are abusive or have drunk too much.

However. It isn't hard to understand why pubs are closing at an alarming rate.

Many have never adapted and took advantage of the smoking ban, to update their image. Most pubs you go in still have yellowed stained walls from tobbacco and have never given their premises a new lick of paint. It would cost next to nothing to whitewash the walls at the very least.

Then there is the outrageous cost of a pint. A round of drinks can cost you 20 quid. You can pick up 2 crates of lager for that from the offie or supermarket. Of course the supermarkets don't watch your behaviour once you're out the door and frankly couldn't give a toss. A publican can at the very least say to a drinker "Come on mate don't you think you've had enough?" and can handle certain situations.

The cynic in me might say that all of this is orhastrated (the raising of the cost of a pint in a pub, compared to the discounting of a pint can in an offie/supermarket) by the breweries.

From their point of view pubs cost money and create a massive wage bill. Also distribution to pubs costs.

Far better to get the supermarkets to distribute the drinks and handle the customer service. What do they care if people get pissed at home as long as they're necking Carlsberg/Fosters?
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #70
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keayman View Post
A map from 1875 showing the ugly facts that there are 68 drinking places within 100 yards radius of St. Johns Market and how it is simply a disgrace to the authorities responsible for the licensing of such premises.

The text and map are courtesy of Freddy O'Connors volume one of four of a pub on every corner.

Count how many are there now. Probably not a lot has changed?

Take this corner for instance.

That is the Royal Court theatre on the left and you are lookinbg up Gt Charlotte st past the market on the right. Great Charlotte st now only exists from Lewis's, past Blacklers to the Precinct but used to run right down to Queens Square where the Marriot Hotel now is. There were 4 pubs in a row on Gt Charlotte street on the map (numbered 13-16) and 6 out of 8 properties in a row were pubs.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

As you look down Upper Dawson street past the army stores on the corner, with the books, you look past the grapes and the sticky out bit in the distance is the curved Theatre Royal which became the Union Cold Stores and fronted onto Williamson Sq. When you are in the Precinct, the exists still show the way out to these old streets such as Dawson Way and Houghton Street etc even though they don't really exist as such now.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Yes, I know my arrows are terrible but hope you get the jist.

This view is looking into Queens Square where the fruit and veg were sold at the front of the Stork Hotel which was still there in the very early 70s. The Stork is mentioned on the map.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Houghton Street, looking up towards Cases St. You will notice that pub No.50 on the map is the Belmont as clearly seen on Colin Wilkinson's 1963 Colour photo of the street.

Map and 1st three pics in this reply courtesy of the LRO

1963 pic of Houghton St thanks to Colin Wilkinson

Last pic 2010 is mine.
Great post
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #71
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Thanks for the compare and contrast, Keayman: very informative, and a bit depressing. Poor old Gt Charlotte Street, and Clayton Square!

Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #72
Evertonian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
Doug,
love the pub pics, but if you think the new re-paint jobby of the Baltic is an improvement, you need your eyes tested. It's so fucking anodyne
I love that pub and it's been very well looked after. Shame the rest of the boozers in Liverpool haven't had as much love and care.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #73
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
I love that pub and it's been very well looked after. Shame the rest of the boozers in Liverpool haven't had as much love and care.
Correction: that some have not. Or perhaps say something like, "it is a pity that all [itself not likely but still...] boozers in Liverpool have not received such tender loving care."

The "rest" of Liverpool's boozers include many of their finest pub buildings in England and some of the best kept. Words matter. If you find it difficult expressing yourself in writing, slow down and read through what you have just written and ask yourself whether it is actually if true or makes sense.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #74
Evertonian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Correction: that some have not. Or perhaps say something like, "it is a pity that all [itself not likely but still...] boozers in Liverpool have not received such tender loving care."

The "rest" of Liverpool's boozers include many of their finest pub buildings in England and some of the best kept. Words matter. If you find it difficult expressing yourself in writing, slow down and read through what you have just written and ask yourself whether it is actually if true or makes sense.
Suck my willy.

*has a think*

Yes....suck my willy.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #75
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

An efficient demonstration of the power of Toni's thought processes at least.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #76
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
Suck my willy.

*has a think*

Yes....suck my willy.
The one on your head?

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #77
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 728

Evertonian has raised a valid point here. There's nothing special about the Baltic Fleet but it's listed. There was a far superior pub just up Corn Hill, that stood until the mid 80's. It was originally called Keanes, i just about remember it. Pevsner described it as "riotous" to me it was a typical mid Victorian inner London pub,which far surpass anything in the provinces. Liverpool has lost some excelent pubs in the last 30 years, and some vey good ones, superior to the Baltic Fleet are currently derelict.

Just to add, pub names in Liverpool i find a bit boring. Pubs i remember from London, The Bacchus, in Hoxton, The Jackdaw and Stump, Homerton, The Flying Scud, Hackney....could go on. (Keanes, was on Park Lane until the mid 80's when it was demolished with a number of other pubs)

Last edited by the golden vision; January 17th, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
the golden vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #78
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 9903

Quote:
Originally Posted by the golden vision View Post
Evertonian has raised a valid point here. There's nothing special about the Baltic Fleet but it's listed. There was a far superior pub just up Corn Hill, that stood until the mid 80's. It was originally called Keanes, i just about remember it. Pevsner described it as "riotous" to me it was a typical mid Victorian inner London pub,which far surpass anything in the provinces. Liverpool has lost some excelent pubs in the last 30 years, and some vey good ones, superior to the Baltic Fleet are currently derelict.

Just to add, pub names in Liverpool i find a bit boring. Pubs i remember from London, The Bacchus, in Hoxton, The Jackdaw and Stump, Homerton, The Flying Scud, Hackney....could go on. (Keanes, was on Park Lane until the mid 80's when it was demolished with a number of other pubs)

The Lamb - Lamb's Conduit Street - Bloomsbury: not for its name, but because it was/is a great pub.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #79
the golden vision

Keanes pub, Park Lane. Demolished in the 1980's
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #80
the golden vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
The Lamb - Lamb's Conduit Street - Bloomsbury: not for its name, but because it was/is a great pub.
The thing about London pubs was/is that there was wider mix of people,especially round the central area, east end/city in particular.

Tags
public houses, pubs