daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #81
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Bit bland. Green tartan carpets also. The interior is not as old as some might think. Those famous snob screens look like modern facsimiles to me. At least they bothered I suppose. Surely this pub was multi-roomed until the 70s perhaps. Better and nearby is the art deco-style, and not ruined, Duke of York. And better as a place to drink (or eat in the unfortunate modern fashion) are the Perseverance, the Marquis Cornwallis, the Harrison (C20th Kings Cross estate pub gone gastro) or the Queens Head off Gray's Inn Road. All more or less mangled (although the QH less so) but one is not invited falsely to think they they aren't and the clientele consist of a widely variety of folk than the Lamb, which is dominated by whiffy London business types in their late middle years bitching.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #82
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by the golden vision View Post
The thing about London pubs was/is that there was wider mix of people,especially round the central area, east end/city in particular.
You took the words out of my mouth. To be fair to London, where I've lived also but liked less than you did, their pubs do indeed have more of a mix. Right in the centre however, they can be anonymous. Let's face it though London is seldom the most convivial place.

Also lacking nowadays at least the the Liverpool-style ald fellas' pub. Similar blokes down their died out/moved out/been priced out I guess.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #83
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
You took the words out of my mouth. To be fair to London, where I've lived also but liked less than you did, their pubs do indeed have more of a mix. Right in the centre however, they can be anonymous. Let's face it though London is seldom the most convivial place.

Also lacking nowadays at least the the Liverpool-style ald fellas' pub. Similar blokes down their died out/moved out/been priced out I guess.
I used to like Whitechapel rd, the London Hospital. A mix of locals and young doctors. You get a decent conversation going there,also round the back of the hospital itself, bit eerie, always reminded of John Merrick(the elephant man)
the golden vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #84
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

I went for a drink there once although back in the 90s. Big pub straight across the road from Whitechapel Tube. Was impressed by the large number of pretty nurses amongst other things, although I was a younger man then.

Nowadays I find few things bring me greater cheer than a pub that allows a dog in. Not that I have a dog myself mind but y'know some else's friendly hound, snuffling around, vaccuuming peanuts and interacting with oneself and other customers.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #85
the golden vision

Quote:
I went for a drink there once although back in the 90s. Big pub straight across the road from Whitechapel Tube. Was impressed by the large number of pretty nurses amongst other things, although I was a younger man then.

Nowadays I find few things bring me greater cheer than a pub that allows a dog in. Not that I have a dog myself mind but y'know some else's friendly hound, snuffling around, vaccuuming peanuts and interacting with oneself and other customers.
Well the nurses were a factor agree about the hound but as a non-drinker i'm seldom found in pubs these days.(mind you i left London in 95 and i honestly avoid it like the plague,even though i have family there.)

Last edited by the golden vision; January 18th, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #86
the golden vision

Quote:

There were a number of those back st local pubs around Bethnal Green rd. They used to attract the voyeuristic middle class. The types that used to smoke roll ups and sit at the bar and eavesdrop.Little did they know, the locals thought they were 'Old Bill'

Last edited by the golden vision; January 18th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #87
Cheyelle

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
The Dispensary (Renshaw Street) let me take my dog in. He’s too old to walk down there these days. But I will always be really grateful to them [the proprietors] for letting me bring him in – there’s nothing like drinking with good friends. Good boozer, that.
Cheyelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #88
the golden vision

Quote:

Awayo, for God's sake, it's one 'c' in vacuuming are you talking about the dog there or did you meet me in the London Hospital after my advances to one of the nurses had been knocked back
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #89
the golden vision

Quote:
There were a number of those back st local pubs around Bethnal Green rd. They used to attract the voyeuristic middle class. The types that used to smoke roll ups and sit at the bar and eavesdrop.Little did they know, the locals thought they were 'Old Bill'
Now the middle class just watch 'Secret Millionaire' instead. Off topic here but whilst on the east end i also remember the 'Jack The Ripper Walks' round the corner from Whitechapel. There was actually a pub called the 'Jack The Ripper' on Commercial St in the vicinity of the murders. Tower Hamlets Council forced a name change.

What is the psychology of someone who wants to walk in the footsteps of a serial killer. Relive the vicious murders of tragic victims. The darkest recesses of the mind are much more scarey than any serial killer.

Last edited by the golden vision; January 18th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #90
cambrian

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Off topic here but whilst on the east end i also remember the 'Jack The Ripper Walks' round the corner from Whitechapel. There was actually a pub called the 'Jack The Ripper' on Commercial St in the vicinity of the murders. Tower Hamlets Council forced a name change.

What is the psychology of someone who wants to walk in the footsteps of a serial killer. Relive the vicious murders of tragic victims. The darkest recesses of the mind are much more scarey than any serial killer.
That might have interested me,but know you have put me off and I feel I need to get my mind checked

Back on topic I like the Baltic fleet but apart from the outside paint job I cannot agree with Evertonian's comment that it has been very well looked after, Inside I doubt a penny has been spent on it for years.
There has been some sympathetic re-furbishments namely The Railway Tithebarn st and more recently The Excelsior on Dale St.
cambrian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #91
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Didnae know about the Excelsior, Camb. Thanks for the heads up there. Last I'd heard it was closed and before that it appeared to be in terminal decline. Have to pop in.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #92
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 10893

Quote:
Bit bland. Green tartan carpets also. The interior is not as old as some might think. Those famous snob screens look like modern facsimiles to me. At least they bothered I suppose. Surely this pub was multi-roomed until the 70s perhaps. Better and nearby is the art deco-style, and not ruined, Duke of York. And better as a place to drink (or eat in the unfortunate modern fashion) are the Perseverance, the Marquis Cornwallis, the Harrison (C20th Kings Cross estate pub gone gastro) or the Queens Head off Gray's Inn Road. All more or less mangled (although the QH less so) but one is not invited falsely to think they they aren't and the clientele consist of a widely variety of folk than the Lamb, which is dominated by whiffy London business types in their late middle years bitching.
You are such a queen.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #93
openlyJane
Human Being

The Lamb was multi-roomed in the 80s. At that point the 'business' types you speak of hadn't discovered it. It was peopled by a wide variety of locals - which at that time included a large squatting community.

Last edited by openlyJane; January 18th, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #94
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Troll.

And by that I don't mean anything to do with the internet. I mean that you are monstrous, misshapen, green-skinned and slimy and live under a bridge.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #95
cambrian

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Didnae know about the Excelsior, Camb. Thanks for the heads up there. Last I'd heard it was closed and before that it appeared to be in terminal decline. Have to pop in.
Yes went in just before xmas and just over a week ago -very nice.
cambrian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #96
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Troll.

And by that I don't mean anything to do with the internet. I mean that you are monstrous, misshapen, green-skinned and slimy and live under a bridge.
You still looking in that mirror of yours?
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #97
Damon

Likes (Received): 113

I was picking my son up from Hope Street on Thursday evening last week and noticed that the ornate Philharmonic pub gates were padlocked shut - this at about 7pm. Driving past yesterday afternoon, it again looked as if it was closed. Anyone heard/know anything?

(I then began to fantasise that, if it's in trouble, the Everyman Bistro lot could take it over. But that's how baseless rumours start, so I'll keep that to myself).
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #98
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

About a year ago, Camra publications were reporting that the pubco, Nicholsons (or the evil mega-combine behind that brand, whatever that may be) planned to close the Phil for an extensive refurb. This sounded good. Their recent spruce up of the Wellington on the Strand in London was very well done.

I was hoping for the cheesy (60s) substitutions of "Brahms and Litz" for the Smoke Room and News Room and "Grand Lounge" (shoudn't that be "grande"?) for the Billiard room would go as well as the crappy, anachronistic mirrors above the fireplace there. However, they put it on the back burner. Maybe business projections have declined.

Or perhaps the refurb is back on. Dunno.

Also, for whatever reason, the pub has closed down for the odd day over the last few months before opening again. Not sure what that's all about.

Last edited by Awayo; June 27th, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #99
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

I scoped it out earlier. The Phil is still closed but there was a sign on of the doors reading 'wet paint' and signs of work going on inside. It looks like it is getting a spruce up but probably not the major renovation promised a year ago.

The fixtures and fittings were looking a bit careworn and so it needs a bit of tlc but I imagine it will be open again in a few days. If a big job were planned, they'd probably have signs outside explaining why the pub was closed.
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #100
Damon

Likes (Received): 113

Cheers Awayo. Well scoped.

Tags
public houses, pubs