daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old November 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #121
Stanley Park

Likes (Received): 2

It's supposed to be the unit next to Cafe Nero. It was supposed to open at the beginning of November but I walked past it yesterday and the signage just said 'Fu Fu'. The plan is to start with 250 different beers and work up to a selection of 450!
Stanley Park no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #122
Damon

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Park View Post
The plan is to start with 250 different beers and work up to a selection of 450!
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #123
Dav.e.doff

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Park View Post
It's supposed to be the unit next to Cafe Nero. It was supposed to open at the beginning of November but I walked past it yesterday and the signage just said 'Fu Fu'. The plan is to start with 250 different beers and work up to a selection of 450!
Yep, that's the one! It's a very small unit, so god knows how on earth they will stock 250-450 beers. I was thinking of opening something like this, but in South Liverpool. Get the right supplier and enough turnover and you can get pretty good trade prices on the 'foreign stuff'.

Dav.e.doff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #124
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Yep, dav.e. It's long overdue. Right now I'm forced to travel to Southport to find a decent beer shop (admittedly the excellent Inn Beer Shop at the north end of Lord St) and that kils a part of me every time.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #125
Dav.e.doff

I know mate, not much to ask for is it!! But instead we just get bargain booze and Tesco. It's certainly something i would like to start up!

How's things with you anyway? I see Chris had a good time in Amsterdam, lucky sod, ha ha!
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #126
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Yeah, fine here. Hope you are as well. Crissy and I had a beer-sodden trip to Manchester the other Sunday. Kept on missing trains by having a beer in Pi before getting on at Mossley Hill. Doh! Next to try is the Dovedale (Dovey), which looks from its website to have the same decor theme (attractive as it is) as Bier on Newington.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #127
Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav.e.doff View Post
I was thinking of opening something like this, but in South Liverpool. Get the right supplier and enough turnover and you can get pretty good trade prices on the 'foreign stuff'.
Ha ha - me too. Well... in the sense that I never would have done it, but definitely thought about it. Oddbins on Allerton Road started to have a reasonable beer range two or three years ago - not huge, but you could find stuff you didn't find elsewhere in the city. Since the Oddbins collapse though, and the salvaging of that store by new owners, they haven't had any interesting beers in, though the guy in there tells me they should be sorting something with Liverpool Organic. That's only one brewery though - I want craft beer obscurities!

I actually had a dream about this Ship & Mitre shop the other night - I was in a terrible state because I couldn't carry all my purchases home on the bus.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #128
GLCBanana

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
I actually had a dream about this Ship & Mitre shop the other night - I was in a terrible state because I couldn't carry all my purchases home on the bus.
If only there were an eshtablishment where one could pubicly drink such berevages in a convivivial atmoshpere... HIC!
GLCBanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #129
Damon

Well yeah, of course - but sometimes you can't be arsed getting baby sitters and just need to quaff something delicious while watching The Killing (Danish version, natch). My front room's pretty convivial anyway.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #130
GLCBanana

T'was a joke, I'm actually slober...
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #131
Damon

In which case, I prescribe a serving of Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin to rectify that unfortunate state of affairs.

http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #132
GLCBanana

32% - no wonder you've been having beer-themed nightmares!

I remember back in the day when the Frog & Parrot in Sheffield used to lay claim to brewing the world's strongest beer at merely half of that %age!

Cheers!!!

Last edited by GLCBanana; November 17th, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #133
Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLCBanana View Post
the Frog & Parrot in Sheffield used to lay claim to brewing the world's strongest beer at merely half of that %age!
The Frog and Parrot! Really, don't get me started...............
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #134
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

In my first year at university, it still had a parrot. But not a frog. That would be cruel.
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #135
Dav.e.doff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Yeah, fine here. Hope you are as well. Crissy and I had a beer-sodden trip to Manchester the other Sunday. Kept on missing trains by having a beer in Pi before getting on at Mossley Hill. Doh! Next to try is the Dovedale (Dovey), which looks from its website to have the same decor theme (attractive as it is) as Bier on Newington.
Cool sounds good, i've never been to Manchester for the beers! Dovey is good by the way, just very expensive. It's something like £3.75 just for a decent ale. Supposedly quite a few people have been caught sneaking vodka because it's so expensive. They've also opened another pub on Lark Lane, were Low Bar used to be. They sell Weistephaner on draught, which i absolutely love.

Probably see you soon for a few beers if you're around.

Dave
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #136
Dav.e.doff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
Ha ha - me too. Well... in the sense that I never would have done it, but definitely thought about it. Oddbins on Allerton Road started to have a reasonable beer range two or three years ago - not huge, but you could find stuff you didn't find elsewhere in the city. Since the Oddbins collapse though, and the salvaging of that store by new owners, they haven't had any interesting beers in, though the guy in there tells me they should be sorting something with Liverpool Organic. That's only one brewery though - I want craft beer obscurities!

You're just like me! I like to go out and have a good quality drink in friendly surroundings, but if i can't, i still want a good quality drink in the comfort of my own home.

But as we know there is hardly anywhere (in terms of retail) that sell world beers. Oddbins at Allerton Road used to be great and like you said, a few years back they sold some really obscure stuff. I used to get the 750ml bottles of La Chouffe, and also hoegaarden before the supermarkets got in on the act.

Another idea i had was to set up a Beer co-operative, were members would contribute a set amount and then buy direct from the supplier. The difference in price compared to the pubs and even supermarkets is astounding, delivery is free if an order is 10 crates or more.

I always thought the now vacant Hampers sandwich shop(think that's what it is called) on Allerton Road would make an ideal location to open a specialty beers shop.

Anyhows here is the James Clay trade list if you want to have an idea as to what you can get

http://www.filedump.net/index.php?pi...1321538122.pdf

Dave
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #137
Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav.e.doff View Post
I always thought the now vacant Hampers sandwich shop(think that's what it is called) on Allerton Road would make an ideal location to open a specialty beers shop.

Anyhows here is the James Clay trade list if you want to have an idea as to what you can get
Are we egging each other on here?

"You do it."
"No, you do it."
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #138
Stanley Park

Likes (Received): 2

The Ship and Mitre's bottle shop is now open for business and is called....'Ship in a bottle'. Great name.
Stanley Park no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #139
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1867

That is a great name I love it.
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #140
GLCBanana

With extended opening hours (or 'Sailing Times') on Thursdays and Fridays till 8pm.

Tags
public houses, pubs