daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM   #121
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Congratulations. You just named cited three horrible post-modern buildings as examples. This, my friend, is the distinction between modernism and post-modernism - doing things just for the sake of doing them. Please don't ever become an architect.
I happen to love those buildings, they blow the hell out of the overall boring Momo with the minimal detailing, one setback, a hole in it, and a few plants; IMHO. If you like modernism, where less is more, then I could see why you would like this building. But I think we have enough of that here, as well as the post-modernism, which I like and you don't. What I would like to see are newer and more daring designs. As we know, Chicago is a skyscraper museum, where you can see works from all schools and eras. We need some 2007 designs not some re-hashed modernism, IMO. Especially in the loop where building opportunities are limited. I'm afraid I will look back in 20 years and not see an example of what is the current the style, which is some of the most amazing designs the world has ever seen. And why don't we have these in DT Chi? We were too busy building modernism. Let's get with the times people or Chicago architecture will lose prominence.

Last edited by Chi649; January 1st, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM   #122
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
I don't know about a gabled roof but something other than an uncreative box top. I do not follow your logic that since everything in the lower portion of the building takes the form of a right angle, there cannot be a different geometric shape at the top. 123 N. Wacker Drive, 225 West Wacker Drive, and 900 N. Michigan Ave. are great examples of a building that does just that. There are limitless possibilities of what could be done to make the top more interesting. Heck, if you wanted to stay with the vegetation theme, line the top with pine trees. The facade reminds me a little of 340 OTP. Oh well, it's still a nice building overall.
I'll side with Geoff on this one... All three buildings you mentioned were completed in the 1980s. Personally, my calendar says it is 2007. I don't live in the 1980s, not even the 20th century. They were a product of their time.

All architecture has some form of historical reference. PoMo referenced the classical, just as New Modernism is referencing Mid-Century Moderism. That doesn't mean that New Modernism is not new, just as PoMo was new at one time. There was good PoMo and bad PoMo, such is the case for all styles. A well designed New Modernist building will stand the test of time just fine. Look at Daley Center, it is more than 40 years old, and it still holds its own.

As for MoMo, I agree the jury is still out on the facade... I hope that once the white protective plastic is peeled off of the stainless steel panels, it will come to life, much like the UBS Tower and the Hyatt Center did. But, I am not completely convinced yet.

One thing that saddens me is that the "hole" originally had four floors and they shortened it to three floors to save a few bucks. Now that the top is effectively lower, it doesn't have the same effect.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #123
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
If you like modernism, where less is more, then I could see why you would like this building.
Thus the name, the design, and the entire marketing concept for this building.

When a building is named "Modern Momentum," it seems odd to criticize it for being modern.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #124
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Not to mention, I would hardly consider MoMo a rehash of typical mid-twentieth modernism. The facade is far more articulated than Mies, for example, woudl have ever allowed and are we forgetting about how interesting, visually, the void is? I certainly can't think of any examples of twentieth-century modernist buildings with a large void in their belly.

Oh, and thank you Devyn for pointing out that the white was just protective film - my eyes told me it was white laminate and was here to stay! I don't have any doubts about the facade any more (although, it might still be a little too articulated.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #125
Chi649

Quote:
The facade is far more articulated than Mies, for example, woudl have ever allowed and are we forgetting about how interesting, visually, the void is?
If the facade turns out good, this should be a good looking building. The void is definitely a great feature. I'm still not convinced that a box top is the best termination for Joffrey. Here she is:

Old January 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #126
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

If you need more convincing regarding the top, just try to rough out something you like better. I promise... unless you're blind (or just completely lacking taste) you won't be able to find anything you like better.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #127
ChiPsy

Quote:
If you need more convincing regarding the top, just try to rough out something you like better. I promise... unless you're blind (or just completely lacking taste) you won't be able to find anything you like better.

Yes, that's the issue, isn't it? I've tried too (mostly in my mind), and I keep realizing this is better than the alternatives. It's going to be an excellent building, and its top will keep in step with the roofs of most State Street buildings. So far, so good.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #128
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

January 9, 2007

January 12, 2007
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #129
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

The top of the tower doesn't need to be contextual to be right... it needs to be appropriate to the rest of the building it belongs to - not to the neighborhood.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #130
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #131
Retrograde
Chicago

February 15, 2007

Old February 19th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #132
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

A friend of mine and I have been trying to figure out what the hold-up is on this one. She hasn't budged in quite some time (they haven't even been working on the facade).
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #133
Chi649

Maybe it's the cold spell we have been going through but they should still be able to work on the facade I think.
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #134
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
A friend of mine and I have been trying to figure out what the hold-up is on this one. She hasn't budged in quite some time (they haven't even been working on the facade).
I just passed the site about 20 minutes ago and activity has resumed. A construction worker with whom I spoke told me that work was suspensed for two weeks due to the cold.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #135
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

That's nuts. All of the other towers were still moving.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM   #136
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

They can't pour concrete when its as cold as it has been recently. Not sure of the exact minimum temp, but I would imagine below freezing. The same situation at Trump.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #137
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoop View Post
They can't pour concrete when its as cold as it has been recently. Not sure of the exact minimum temp, but I would imagine below freezing. The same situation at Trump.
Been at least 75 years since Chicago invented the technique of introducing steam into the concrete so as to pour in the severest winter temperatures.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:15 AM   #138
Retrograde
Chicago

February 21, 2007

Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM   #139
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoop View Post

It probably has more to do with the unions than the concrete setting! With today's technology, there are admixtures you can add to the mix that can allow you to work in extreme conditions. Or you can encase a section for work, use steam, or cover the new concrete with cloth to keep the bleeding from freezing. I believe according to IDOT that if the temperature drops below 45 degrees, you have to provide some sort of protection (insulating material, straw, housing around the concrete, etc).
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #140
MWR

Antifreeze!

I heard that when Rubloff built Sandburg Village that the concrete was mixed with antifreeze on the first phase buildings, and that's why they are crumbling down now.

MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote