daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #141
ChiPsy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
I heard that when Rubloff built Sandburg Village that the concrete was mixed with antifreeze on the first phase buildings, and that's why they are crumbling down now.
Good speculation, MWR, but doubtful -- I've watched these repairs firsthand and can make a couple observations: (1) they're all superficial/near the surface, and (2) they're distributed randomly across the floors of the buildings, which wouldn't happen if they poured some floors with an antifreeze mix and others without (i.e., based on weather conditions) back in 1964. When I asked a CAF speaker about this issue once, I think he said it had to to with rebar oxidization and that more recent concrete buildings, reinforced with coated rebar(?), would experience fewer problems.

Good to know, especially since the NWU Hospital Streeterville campus is almost entirely concrete and it's loud AS HELL when they make these repairs.

I know zip about concrete, though, so feel free to correct me.

Last edited by ChiPsy; February 23rd, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #142
MWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Good speculation, MWR, but doubtful -- I've watched these repairs firsthand and can make a couple observations: (1) they're all superficial/near the surface, and (2) they're distributed randomly across the floors of the buildings, which wouldn't happen if they poured some floors with an antifreeze mix and others without (i.e., based on weather conditions). When I asked a CAF speaker about this issue once, I think he said it had to to with rebar oxidization and that more recent concrete buildings, reinforced with coated rebar(?), would experience fewer problems.

Good to know, especially since the NWU Hospital Streeterville campus is almost entirely concrete and it's loud AS HELL when they make these repairs.

I know zip about concrete, though, so feel free to correct me.
Well, we were not talking about repairs to the concrete, but rather concrete construction......Nevertheless, repairs are usually done with epoxy cement. Rebar is the reinforcement bars used to strengthened the concrete columns and floors. If it is not coated it rusts (oxidizes), and can cause/contribute to concrete disintegration. In the case of Sandburg Village, it is my understanding that antifreeze was used for the concrete construction and it probably had an adverse effect on the concrete composition.

Last edited by MWR; February 23rd, 2007 at 09:33 PM.
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM   #143
ChiPsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
Well, we were not talking about repairs to the concrete, but rather concrete construction......Nevertheless, repairs are usually done with epoxy cement. Rebar is the reinforcement bars used to strengthened the concrete columns and floors. If it is not coated it rusts (oxidizes), and can cause/contribute to concrete disintegration. In the case of Sandburg Village, it is my understanding that antifreeze was used for the concrete construction and it probably had an adverse affect on the concrete composition.
Thanks MWR. I assumed that your mention of SBV "crumbling down" was in reference to the recent concrete facade repairs there, in which case my observation (that the repairs were dispersed across floors and were necessitated by oxidizing rebars, not by a failed mix/pour back in 1964) stands. If there's other evidence of SBV crumbling I withdraw it, but that would come as a surprise to those of us living here, so I hope not.

I appreciate your summary of rebar coating, though -- that squares with what I now remember the CAF speaker saying.

P.S. I just realized you may have been saying that an antifreeze mix issue might have made SBV's concrete more susceptible to the rebar oxidization problem (that we're told is now resolved). If so, I get it now.

Last edited by ChiPsy; February 23rd, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #144
MWR

The Sky is Falling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Thanks MWR. I assumed that your mention of SBV "crumbling down" was in reference to the recent concrete facade repairs there, in which case my observation (that the repairs were dispersed across floors and were necessitated by oxidizing rebars, not by a failed mix/pour back in 1964) stands. If there's other evidence of SBV crumbling I withdraw it, but that would come as a surprise to those of us living here, so I hope not.

I appreciate your summary of rebar coating, though -- that squares with what I now remember the CAF speaker saying.

P.S. I just realized you may have been saying that an antifreeze mix issue might have made SBV's concrete more susceptible to the rebar oxidization problem (that we're told is now resolved). If so, I get it now.
Yes, the antifreeze mix may have made the concrete composition less strong and more susceptible to deterioration. Would you really expect the CAF speaker to tell you that your building is falling? Pollution also affects concrete, and it would exacerbate any disintegration already started. I used to live in the Bryant House and it was full of external and internal concrete cracks (Can you imagine trying to restore an internal concrete column?). External concrete restoration repairs were and are still necessary every five years there. At one point the repairs were even more frequent. (It was not nice!)
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #145
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Rebar is the reinforcement bars used to strengthened the concrete columns and floors. If it is not coated it rusts (oxidizes), and can cause/contribute to concrete disintegration.
Actually, the concrete doesn't disintegrate - the oxidation causes the rebar to "expand," so to speak, thus "pushing" the concrete away and, eventually, breaking pieces of it off. This is called "spalling."
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #146
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

How is that not disintegration? Does not the word dis-integrate mean to not be one piece? I suppose it does not matter either way as far as the structural integrity of the member. All the tensile forces are carried through the rebar and the concrete has virtually no structural integrity. The only problem I suppose is falling chunks of concrete! Spalling in concrete pavement and/or sidewalks due to the concrete mesh is typically bad workmanship from workers yanking up on the mesh as it is poured instead up placing it on chairs and thus putting it too close to the surface.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #147
MWR

The Sky is Falling!

I can also tell from my own experience at Sandburg Village that the cracks usually come back after they are repaired.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #148
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, I'm not going to argue with you about symantics.

At any rate... MoMo is topped out.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #149
prelude91

I work in the Unitron building (State and Wacker) and there is a guy about
2/3rds of the way up the MOMO threatening to jump. State street is shut down!
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #150
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Saw this on Edward Lifson's blog

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #151
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I'm surprised no one has posted shots of MoMo. The cladding looks so good.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #152
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Have they added a lot more onto it since the last photo update?
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #153
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
Have they added a lot more onto it since the last photo update?
Not a whole lot, but probably the first 4 floors.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #154
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...frey08.article

Joffrey Tower going up on Randolph St.

March 8, 2007
BY HEDY WEISS
Dance Critic

If construction goes as planned, by early 2008 the dancers of the Joffrey Ballet will be performing almost daily for all of Chicago to see, with "tickets" free of charge.

Pedestrians standing in front of the Borders bookstore at State and Randolph, as well as students peering out of the windows of their School of the Art Institute of Chicago dormitory immediately next door, will be able to look into the glass-walled third and fourth floors of the company's new 45,000-square-foot permanent headquarters -- part of a 33-story, mixed-use condominium building at 8 E. Randolph that has been dubbed the Joffrey Tower. In the meantime, they will be able to watch as the dancers move through their daily technique classes and intensive rehearsals.

Details of the new company-owned facility were revealed Wednesday as the Joffrey launched its Center Stage Campaign -- the troupe's first Chicago capital campaign, with a goal of raising $35 million for the facility's construction and an ongoing endowment. To date, $19 million has been raised toward the needed $21 million for construction alone.

"The Joffrey Ballet moved here in 1995 and is now coming to the end of its 50th anniversary celebration," said James J. O'Connor, chairman of the Capital Campaign Committee. "And I like to tease Gerry [Gerald Arpino, co-founder and artistic director of the Joffrey] about his overnight success.

"This is the final piece in Mayor Daley's vision of a Loop cultural district," O'Connor said. "It also is the final piece in the city's cultural profile. We already had a world-class symphony, opera and theater community. Now we have a ballet company."

Arts advocate Bruce Sagan, one of those instrumental in bringing the Joffrey to Chicago, beamed as he pointed to supports already in place for the 44-foot-tall Joffrey Tower sign to be attached to the building's Randolph and State Street corner.

"The Joffrey Ballet is about to become a real institution," Sagan said. He enthusiastically described the layout of the two double-height floors that will house seven studios for the company's classes, rehearsals, educational activities, small-scale performances, offices and "green roof."

The Tower has been developed by Smithfield Properties and designed by Booth Hansen. Major features of the Joffrey's headquarters will be:

• A dedicated entrance and elevators on Randolph Street, with a lobby box office selling tickets to company events.

• A "black box" theater space that will serve primarily as a full-company rehearsal space but, with its lighting booth and fully foldable seating for 144, also can double as an intimate showcase for open rehearsals, works-in-progress viewings and more. When unused, the studio also can be rented to visiting dance companies for rehearsal space.

• An additional six rehearsal studios with high ceilings and no obstructions. These might also be used for classes if the Joffrey starts a school here. For now they will be the site of activities related to the Joffrey's extensive outreach school programs.

• Locker rooms, dressing rooms, showers, wardrobe and laundry suites, a lounge, physical therapy areas and artistic and executive staff offices.

--------

It will be very cool if you are actually able to see the dancers perform or practice from the street. It will certainly add a lot to State Street and downtown.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #155
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

March 13, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #156
ChivDevil

From today-
image hosted on flickr
ChivDevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #157
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

From today

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #158
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

The building is turning out good. But it could've been great. They totally ****ed it up when they reduced the void from 4 floors to 3. Check out these original renderings from page 1 to the current pics and see what I'm talking about.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #159
Frumie

Perhaps its the different angles, but I don't see enough difference to mar the appearance. I wonder if the final agreement with Joffrey and their need for more space brought about the redesign. Just a guess, of course.
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #160
robituss

Likes (Received): 1

The renders look awesome. I was real excited to see this one, I remember. But now that its taking shape, its a bit of a let down, at least the portion near the base and by the void. I dont know if its the reduction of floors from 4 to 3, or the opaque-ness of the glass, or both. It just looks different from what i was expecting. I guess it could still turn out looking good though, I dont want to judge too early.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote