daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #41
Tetsuro

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21
how to solve the problem of overcrowded train services through new street??

SIMPLE LETS PUT THE ******* FARE UP TO DISCORAGE PEOPLE !

HAVING JUST READ THIS IN THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS, I CANT BELIEVE THEY THINK THIS IS THE ANSWER, PEOPLE USE THE TRAIN AT PEAK PERIODS FOO A REASON
I am new to this forum and I couldn't agree more!!!
Tetsuro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #42
Tetsuro

Quote:
what about us poor sould on the birmingham to coventry line??? we have to suffer those annoying tv screens
What about us who live where there is NO train service (despite being in a big commuter belt in south B/ham and the existance of a perfectly useable railway line practically next to my house) and have to use the buses instead! Would no be so bad, but they ARE a disgrace, smell of p***, covered in graffitti, strewn with litter....
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #43
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

Hi Tetsuro, glad to welcome you aboard. I take it you mean the Kings Heath, Moseley line? I read not long ago about the prospect of the Woodbridge Station being re-opened in the future ready for the line to be re-introduced. When I lived in Balsall Heath 10 yrs ago I was saying then, that the Metro should run along it from K Norton and from Camp Hill, ramp down onto Digbeth for road transit.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #44
Tetsuro

Thanks!

Yes indeed, I do mean that line!! Last I heard a proposal to re-open Moseley station had been jepordised by a decision to site an extension to a car showroom on what would be the site of the station..... oh the irony! This was also a proposal apparently backed by the majority of councillors too, who were perfectly aware of the implication the plans would have on the reopening of the station... says it all really! Although Moseley was just one station proposed for reopening on teh line, along with Kings Heath, Balsall Heath and Stirchley... services would have run to Moor Street and a viaduct would have needed to be built at Camp Hill, to allow trains to connect with line to Moor St.

I like the idea of the Metro too!
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #45
Nacho

Likes (Received): 52

Welcome to the forums Tetsuro.

They really should open up that line and the Metro would be an ideal solution.Five years ago this line along with ten others were looked at for possible Metro use.Unfortunately it wasn't selected.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #46
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 329

You can bet if this line was in Manchester or Sheffield or Nottingham or Croydon (the other tram cities) it would have been equal first for developing. The south side of the city is crying out for an alternative to the 50 bus service.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #47
Nacho

It's a poor show.Mind you every city is finding it incredibly difficult to get any light rail plan endorced.The last government policy promised 25 light rail lines to be built before 2010(around the country).Unfortunately,none ,with the exception of Liverpool ,will be built.A sharp contrast with Spain;the plan is produced,money is found,and the line is built.This normally takes three years.Amazing!
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #48
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 76

I don't really know whether this is the right thread to place this thought in, but I think we already have enough odd threads, so...

I think it would be a good idea to create a new canal basin with bars/restaurants & cafes somewhere in the city centre. Maybe near Brindley House or at the back of Broad St? Maybe even demolish the council flats at the back of Centenary Square and redevelop the area near the Flapper & Firkin?

It would boost tourism and would provide an oasis (pun intended) of calm amidst the bustling city centre.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #49
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 110

but isnt spain able to do all this because of the massive money it recieves from the EU?? face it we just have not got the money to build new rail lines, although i'm sure they could always find a way
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #50
Nacho

Quote:
but isnt spain able to do all this because of the massive money it recieves from the EU?? face it we just have not got the money to build new rail lines, although i'm sure they could always find a way
I think it's a question of what each country thinks is important.Central Europe has always invested in public transport (also many countries didn't get rid of their trams they upgraded them) and now Southern Europe is quickly catching up.Metro systems in Madrid and Barcelona are in constant expansion (Madrid is currently adding six new lines to its 12 line network).More importantly Seville,Malaga,Alicante,Tenerife,Vitoria,Zaragoza,Mallorca,and Granada will have new systems before 2009.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #51
Biosonic
Second Citizen

We also forget that Spain and France and others have lots of space in which to build railways and roads, whereas we are a crowded island.

The laws are stacked in the landowner's favour here aswell - compulsory purchases are much easier to obtain in many countries on the continent.

And we have NIMBY's

Last edited by Biosonic; September 9th, 2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: change smily
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #52
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
I don't really know whether this is the right thread to place this thought in, but I think we already have enough odd threads, so...

I think it would be a good idea to create a new canal basin with bars/restaurants & cafes somewhere in the city centre. Maybe near Brindley House or at the back of Broad St? Maybe even demolish the council flats at the back of Centenary Square and redevelop the area near the Flapper & Firkin?

It would boost tourism and would provide an oasis (pun intended) of calm amidst the bustling city centre.
There were plans circulating about this about four years ago.It would be a marvellous idea.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #53
Nacho

Quote:

And we have NIMBY's
British Nimby's operate here in Spain too.They are trying to block the development of many villages but of course they didn't object to their own residences going up.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #54
Biosonic
Second Citizen

One best ones in Brum is an apartment block (King Edwards Wharf) was built near a jazz pub - one of the selling points.

Once the blockw as built and people moved in, one of the residents complained and even though more residents came out in favour of the pub, it had to close because they couldn't afford the sound proofing.

It has lain empty for 2 years now I think.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #55
Nacho

Quote:
We also forget that Spain and France and others have lots of space in which to build railways and roads, whereas we are a crowded island.

The laws are stacked in the landowner's favour here aswell - compulsory purchases are much easier to obtain in many countries on the continent.
Quite true.Spain is twice the size of Britain but has a population of 42 million.Cities are extremely dense;Seville has a metro population of 1 million but you can cycle from the centre to the outskirts in 15 minutes.
Building metro systems is an uncomplicated business.The new Seville underground was concieved in 2002,monies obtained in 2003,and construction began in 2004.It will be completed by 2007.More suprisingly the local government announced plans for a new tram too.This was announced last November and construction begins next year to open at the same time as the new underground.AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #56
Nacho

Quote:
One best ones in Brum is an apartment block (King Edwards Wharf) was built near a jazz pub - one of the selling points.

Once the blockw as built and people moved in, one of the residents complained and even though more residents came out in favour of the pub, it had to close because they couldn't afford the sound proofing.

It has lain empty for 2 years now I think.
Yes,I remember that.I have heard that it's going to open again.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #57
elliott

Likes (Received): 11

Same up here in Newcastle, the bars and clubs have been there for years and then developers create new housing areas. The residents then complain, but i dont think any bars or clubs have shut, but that maybe due to the fact that many of Newcastle's bars, clubs and restaurants are owned by about three main companies (less so restaurants) which have a big voice and alot of cash to allieviate problems.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #58
brum2003

Likes (Received): 101

I think the fiddle and bone is to reopen soon, unfortunately it was closed down due to noise, and I agree this is awful, but they did have 200 warnings !!!! and plenty of time over 2 years to try and compromise with residents

I recently went to Paris & Brighton and bars and restaurants coexist happily together, they play music lower at night although some had insulation

I used to like the fiddle and bone but live in the city and can also sympathise with residents as it was very noisy in the summer, its worth noting that the Flapper is a live music bar surrounded by Flats and has never had a problem !!!

I think the F&B took the piss !!!
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #59
brum2003

Likes (Received): 101

ps, soemone has applied for a new licence (9TH June) and surveyors are measuring up the F&B building !!!
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #60
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003
I think the fiddle and bone is to reopen soon, unfortunately it was closed down due to noise, and I agree this is awful, but they did have 200 warnings !!!! and plenty of time over 2 years to try and compromise with residents

I recently went to Paris & Brighton and bars and restaurants coexist happily together, they play music lower at night although some had insulation

I used to like the fiddle and bone but live in the city and can also sympathise with residents as it was very noisy in the summer, its worth noting that the Flapper is a live music bar surrounded by Flats and has never had a problem !!!

I think the F&B took the piss !!!
But the F&B was there before! The people at Brindley Point never had a problem with it, it was 1 resident at KEW that started it.

I know F&B used to get noisy (I used to go quite a lot) but it didn't have a late licence so it never went on that long. The Flapper is surrounded by flats but let's face it - the residents of those flats are not likely to complain to the council whereas some of the snottier types in KEW are. I'm just bitter!!

And it is a listed building so it would be expensive to modify. It's good news that it may be coming back - it's a cracking spot for a boozer.

Tags
centro, network west midlands, roads, trains, tram, transport, wolverhampton metro