daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #81
Usherling
Birmingham IS Second City

Likes (Received): 0

Waheh the city center is getting trams oh yes

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #82
Nacho

Likes (Received): 53

Yes ,great news about the Metro.Here is news about the Dudley line.See if you can pick out the whopping mistake.

Tram plan to be finalised
By Heather Loat
Oct 14, 2005
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Council taxpayers will have to stump up £100,000 towards the cost of bringing the Midland Metro to Brierley Hill, it was revealed.

The bid for a £139 million route from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill is now in the final stages. But in order for the tram to roll into town it will have to cross the proposed bypass being built to take traffic away from the High Street.

Bosses at Centro, which is behind the scheme, said a level crossing would be needed if the line is to cross the new road.

The seven-and-a-half-mile line is designed to have 113 stops including Great Bridge, Dudley and Merry Hill. At a meeting tonight councillors will be asked to rubberstamp funding for the work from its budget.

Centro spokesman Mik Barton said: "What councillors are being asked to approve is something it agreed to in 2003.

"But now we are in the final stages of the Metro bid we have to formalise that agreement.

"If there were no plans to build a bypass in Brierley Hill the cost of the Metro line would be cheaper but £100,000 of the cost of the plan will be spent on putting in a level crossing."

The Metro is billed as being a big boost for business with Merry Hill owners Westfield pledging £35 million towards the project.

Councillor Angus Adams lead member for transportation said: "The Metro scheme will have to cross the new Brierley Hill bypass.

"This is the preferred option as other options of building a bridge over the road or a tunnel underneath would run into millions of pounds.

"The council will want to shoulder the extra cost as it believes the Metro will be a massive boost for the town.

"Currently, there is no rail link to Brierley Hill from Dudley or Stourbridge and it's important to get that link to take traffic off the road and ease congestion."

For the scheme to reach fruition, the Government insists that local funding makes up a quarter of the cost which will include the £100,000. Work is set to start on the extension by 2007.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #83
Usherling

Eh, isn't it so that work is to commence in 2008 well that is the city center
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #84
Nacho

Both are to start at the same time more or less.The big mistake is '113' stops in 7.5 miles!!!!!!!.Work that out somebody!
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #85
Usherling

I was thinking that how many stops do they bloody want
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #86
Nacho

More on the transport front.Taken from .....er.....tomorrow's news.

Public transport the answer to jams – says expert report
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
EMBARGO: Not for publication or broadcast before 00.01 hours, Tuesday 18 October

Better buses, trains and trams are the only way to prevent gridlock in the West Midlands, a survey has found.

A ‘State of the Nation’ report by the Institution of Civil Engineers, published today, includes a new public opinion survey to canvass views on transport problems. It found that nearly three-quarters of people believed improved public transport was the best way to beat road congestion – and only one in ten said the answer was to build more roads.

“People are willing to get out of their cars if sensible transport options are available,” said Christina Jackson, who chaired the State of the Nation panel. “It’s time for decisions and actions – especially on public transport. Without this, the region’s transport will continue to decline and potentially inhibit economic development.”

The West Midlands conurbation has already made significant progress according to public transport promoter Centro. In the Birmingham rush hour, commuters on buses, trains and trams already out-number motorists stuck in traffic jams – but the Passenger Transport Authority, which sets policy for Centro, agrees much more could be done.

This week Birmingham City Council reaffirmed its commitment to the next phase of Midland Metro expansion allowing Centro to press on with plans to deliver the Government-approved project for trams on city centre streets.

Transport Minister Derek Twigg is also opening the latest park and ride expansion at Stourbridge. Centro’s free park and ride provision is the largest scheme of its kind and now takes more than 2½ million car journeys a year off the region’s congested roads.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #87
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
More on the transport front.Taken from .....er.....tomorrow's news.
you are a naughty Nacho - I won't ask where you get these from

Good work though!

That says it all really - there are more people on public transport than private stuck in traffic. Well I bet they'll all appreciate that!
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #88
Nacho

Biosonic,check the general thread for more Metro information.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #89
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I have done - excellent news. Rare as well - BCC getting on with Centro

Woe betide the government if they try to put the kybosh on this one! Bath Row should be getting some improvements then if they are going to shut down Broad Street for tram lines?
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #90
Nacho

It's a short route and not too expensive.I can't see too many problems with funding.It should dovetail nicely with the New St Station and Arena Central developments too.I'm looking forward to it.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #91
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

snds great news.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #92
Usherling

WAHEH bring the good times on
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #93
Nacho

Very poor report by the BBC.Plagued with mistakes this one.

Underground Metro line plan axed
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Plans to run the next phase of the Midland Metro under Birmingham city centre have been scrapped after the publication of a feasibility study.
The Metro is a key part of Birmingham's vision for transport into the future and abandoning the underground section is seen as a setback for the planners.

Now, a new strategy is being launched, proposing a metro expansion from Snow Hill to Five Ways at street level.

A second line to the airport would go underground, but will cost £2bn.

Embarrassing

The Government has already refused to provide funds for tram schemes in other parts the country, so finding the money will not be easy, said the BBC Midland transport correspondent, Peter Plisner.

He added that the scrapping of the original underground project was an embarrassing u-turn for the council, which is now having to do a re-think on the next phase of the project.

The first phase of the Metro service runs from Birmingham's Snow Hill station to Wolverhampton St George's along the A41. It opened six years ago.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

New overground stategy!?!? The Airport line will not be costed at 2 billion.If tunnelled it will be 1 km at the most,taking it out of the immediate centre.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #94
Biosonic
Second Citizen

The BBC have been incredibly lazy of late.

EK - it is like you are texting responses
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #95
Usherling

BBC is just the BBC that's why it's lazy
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #96
Nacho

> NEWS RELEASES > DETAILS

Date: 18-Oct-05

Rail shake-up looks positive for the West Midlands
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Public transport bosses in the West Midlands have welcomed a greater focus on local rail services following an announcement by Transport Secretary Alistair Darling this morning.

“This looks like positive news for the rail industry, now we have to make sure it leads to good news for passengers,” comments Cllr Gary Clarke, chairman of the watchdog West Midlands Passenger Transport Authority.

In a written statement to Parliament the Secretary of State set out a new structure of rail franchises for the Midlands, which will take effect following the end of the Central Trains franchise in Autumn 2007.

From this date there will be a new West Midlands franchise to operate regional and local services, as well as ‘outer suburban’ services to and from London Euston. There will be an option to transfer Central Trains services through Birmingham Snow Hill to Chiltern Railways if this proves to offer better value for money.

“This suggests we will have a Birmingham-based train company with a clear focus on the conurbation’s journey to work area,” comments Rob Donald, director general of the region’s public transport body Centro. “The idea of having a single operator for the Snow Hill Line could also lead to greater efficiencies and better services for passengers,” he says.

The importance of rail services to cutting congestion and supporting the economic growth of the West Midlands cannot be underestimated. The region has shown faster passenger growth than London and the South East, with around one in five Birmingham rush hour commuters now travelling by train.

Councillors on the West Midlands Passenger Transport Authority, which sets policy for Centro, will be keen to see a franchise structure that provides for continued growth as well as more reliable services.

“This new franchise map could provide a solid foundation for improving rail services, but what will be really crucial is the franchise specification that will now be set by the Department for Transport,” says PTA chairman Cllr Gary Clarke. “We still need the reassurance that the new train operator will be required to provide the same routes and frequencies as Central Trains at the very least – and we will be looking for better performance and quality too.”

As well as the West Midlands franchise announced today, the Secretary of State said there would be a new East Midlands franchise and a new Cross Country franchise, to replace that currently operated by Virgin Rail Group. Discussions are still taking place with Transport for London about the inner-suburban services operated by Silverlink Metro and there is a possibility that Nottingham-Sheffield-Liverpool services could be switched to TransPennine Express.

“It does look as if the Department of Transport has taken on board many of the comments made by Centro-PTA and our colleagues in the Passenger Transport Executives Group (pteg),” adds Rob Donald. “That shows how we have all been creating good working relationships as the new structure of the rail industry falls into place.”

Centro boss Rob Donald currently chairs the pteg group, which represents passenger and regional interests in all the major metropolitan areas outside London.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #97
Nacho

Transport policy is best left to experts Oct 19 2005
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

We can have a Metro but no bus lanes and road pricing but no congestion charge. Alun Thorne wonders if Birmingham's transport chiefs know what day it is...

Right, let me make this quite clear. I am not a fan of buses. In fact I would go so far as to say that I detest them.

They are slow, uncomfortable and invariably smell. Indeed, when my car gave up on me some weeks ago and it came to weighing up the alternatives for getting into the city, catching the bus did not even figure in the equation.

I've tried it before and it just didn't agree with me - it was as the bus stopped for what seemed like the 100th time during the nine mile journey from Walsall to Birmingham city centre that my soul started to ebb away.

Instead, living in the centre of Walsall, I had the option of snubbing the bus and catching a train, which has thus far delivered me to work and home again on time and with the minimum of fuss. I did spend one evening stuck somewhere between Hamstead and Perry Barr for the best part of an hour but it was raining very heavily...

But as much as I would rather roller-skate along the A34 than go by bus, I realise that they are an essential transport tool in any modern conurbation, particularly one where many lack any viable alternative.

Like I said, I do have a viable alternative but I live within ten minutes walk of a train station with reasonably regular direct trains to New Street Station. For how many others across the West Midlands is this true. I would hazard a guess that it can be no more ten per cent.

Now, after years of procrastinating, Birmingham City Council is finally throwing its weight behind a viable alternative, the Midland Metro, that, when all its proposed lines are operational, could replace the bus along various arterial routes into the city.

But that is years away so in the mean time many thousands of people will have to rely on buses whether they like it or not. And they probably don't.

So why then is Birmingham City Council 'reviewing' the status of the city's bus lanes? Well, according to the council motorists hate them and they add to congestion by taking up much needed road space. Remove the bus lanes, free up road-space for more cars and everyone's a winner, right? Wrong.

It doesn't work like that, it never has and it never will and the quicker the city's transport policy is taken out of the hands of vote-hungry politicians and left to the experts, the better.

The only thing that will happen if the bus lanes are removed is that more people will be encouraged to use their cars to travel into the city. It is what always happens when a new road is opened or an existing road is widened. Just look at the M6. It is now actually carrying more traffic than before the M6 Toll opened because people believe that it is quieter and whereas before they may leave the car behind or try an alternative route, now they are more likely to take their chances.

The upshot is more traffic. It happens every time and there is nothing that Coun Len Gregory, the city's transport supremo, can do to change that.

Of course I am working on the assumption that the city council wants to encourage people to leave their cars at home. I can't be absolutely certain about it but considering Birmingham's dire traffic situation costs the city billions of pounds a year in lost working hours and is the main gripe of just about everybody who works in the city, I would hope it is top of their agenda.

Birmingham and the surrounding conurbation just cannot handle any more cars, it is as simple as that. Although it is a coalition held together by a thread, the very fact that the seven West Midland councils have united to apply for Government cash to carry out a feasibility study into congestion charging proves they are well aware of this.

Birmingham City Council should be doing everything in its power, bar nothing, to dissuade people from using their cars. How is making those who use the bus sit in the same congestion as car drivers encouraging people to leave their cars at home. If you are going to sit in traffic anyway it may as well be in your own car rather than on a bus wondering if you're about to get 'happy slapped' by the weed-smoking youths at the back.

And it should be remembered people use buses, and trains for that matter, for a variety of reasons but one of the main reasons is they have nowhere to park.

In this office alone we have around 800 staff but less than a quarter of that number in parking spaces. Do the maths. That's at least 600 people a day who rely on public transport every day just to come to this office, one of dozens like it across the city.

Close the bus lanes or cut back on train services or increase the cost of public transport and you are attacking the majority of people who travel into this city every day for work and leisure. Make their journeys longer or more expensive and they will either grit their teeth and bear it, because they have no choice, or they will revert to using their cars and we are back to square one.

And it is difficult to come to any other conclusion when listening to the current administration at the Council House that they don't really care either way. As long as the car lobby keep voting for them they'll be happy. And as for those using public transport, let them eat cake.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #98
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 110

great article some very valid points especially about local routes not being catered for properly
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #99
Nacho

Buses and trains 'Brum's best hope' Oct 19 2005
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

BETTER buses, trains and trams are the only way to prevent gridlock in the West Midlands, a survey has found.

A 'State of the Nation' report by the Institution of Civil Engineers, published today, includes a new public opinion survey to canvass views on transport problems.

It found that nearly three-quarters of people believed improved public transport was the best way to beat road congestion - and only one in ten said the answer was to build more roads.

People are willing to get out of their cars if sensible transport options are available," said Christina Jackson, who chaired the State of the Nation panel. "It's time for decisions and actions - especially on public transport.

Without this, the region's transport will continue to decline and potentially inhibit economic development."

The West Midlands conurbation has already made significant progress according to public transport promoter Centro. In the Birmingham rush hour, commuters on buses, trains and trams already outnumber motorists stuck in traffic jams .
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #100
Usherling

I love catching the bus and train to work, I enjoy it and efficency is all. We need more Trams witch were getting, more modern less pollutionised Buses and fabulous glamour trains that run regularly. Birmingham needs better transport it's title of Secodn City depends on it

Tags
centro, network west midlands, roads, trains, tram, transport, wolverhampton metro