daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #121
Blunther
Kebab Whore

Likes (Received): 1

Watch him grind.

The only downside bio, is that they breed like bacteria.
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #122
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 64

I know... I know...

They'll all become infertile soon
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #123
Usherling
Birmingham IS Second City

Likes (Received): 0

*I'm loving Angels instead* Welcome Engels no Angels Engels Angels it's Angels No Engels, oh fuck off how am I supposed to know
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #124
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1229

Scott Engels?

Became a Walker Brother with 2 people who were not his brothers.
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #125
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 92

eddie the eagle
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #126
Steve-e-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson
It's a terrible thing to say....
.. but I'm going to say it.

It's strangely comforting to know that people who smoke on busses probably WILL die a slow and painful death at an early age.
The best "No Smoking" sign I've ever seen was one in the waiting room of my GP's surgery it read:

No Smoking
Maximum penalty for ignoring this notice: bronchitis, heart disease, lung cancer, death
Steve-e-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #127
Usherling
Birmingham IS Second City

Ha Ha, I like that sign that's inventive
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #128
Tetsuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
It's not terrible to say that. What IS terrible is that they feel they can inflict themselves on others.

They are the kind of people that get drunk and fight, they sleep around, they don't have REAL friends (just their 'posse'), eat junk food etc etc.

So they will be riddled with STI's, some will cop it fighting, they'll get lung/heart diseases and have liver problems.

Those that live longest will have arthritic knuckles (from fighting), basic pension (well, they won't have a proper job) and live out a lonely existence till they snuff it.

It's funny how life balances itself out in the end.

I agree... what goes around, comes around! I certainly hope so in their case, people like them symbolise all that is wrong about this country!!

Almost amusing, I was on a but other day and saw a sign, can't remember exactly how it was worded, but it said something on the lines that tehre was cctv and anyone caught vandalising would be prosecuted etc.... However, there seemed to be more graffiti on this bus than any other I had ever seen... including on the actual notice!! Hmmmm, an effective deterrant, TWM,eh?
Tetsuro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM   #129
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic

Hi Engels (Any relation to the singer? )

Fear not! In about 15 years' time you might be able to catch the tram into the city centre from your home!

We rely on you to make vocal your support for trams down the Hagley Road!
Definitly gets my support but i plan to move out during the construction then ... to Holland where they've aready got them lol...

What singer? I'm out of touch with all that modern Rock &/or Roll stuff.

Thanks for the welcome all

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #130
Nacho

Likes (Received): 46

>

Date: 25-Oct-05
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Category: News : Midland Metro
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Council support for Midland Metro expansion follows outcome of Birmingham underground study

Birmingham City Council has reaffirmed its commitment to expansion of the Midland Metro and voted for work to proceed on a route through city centre streets from Snow Hill to Five Ways and Edgbaston.

The formal decision at a Cabinet meeting on Monday (24 October) follows an announcement by council leader Mike Whitby at a press conference earlier.

It will allow Centro to press on with its plans that had already cleared the significant hurdles of securing provisional Government funding and getting Secretary of State approval following a public inquiry.

Following the press conference, Cllr Gary Clarke, chairman of the Passenger Transport Authority, which sets policy for Centro said:

“We believe the extension of the Midland Metro from Snow Hill to Five Ways will bring huge benefits to the city and make great strides towards giving Birmingham the world-class public transport system the city needs and deserves.

“Our task now is to work with the city council and other partners to submit the outline business case to the Government as soon as possible. We already have provisional funding approval and the powers to build the extension, which were granted by the Secretary of State following a public inquiry last year.”

The 3.2km tramway through the centre of Birmingham would enable people to journey from Snow Hill to Hagley Road in just 13 minutes. There would be ten, easy-access stops at street level and the route would serve the main shopping and business areas, as well as provide easy interchange with other forms of public transport.

The first Midland Metro line opened six years ago. It now carries a growing number of passengers and has the enviable record of being the region’s most reliable public transport system – but it was always envisaged as part of a much wider and integrated network. Another route from Wednesbury, through Dudley, to the Merry Hill Centre was approved six months ago following a similar public inquiry process to that for Birmingham city centre.

The next step will be to submit an outline business case to Government to confirm funding for both Metro phase one extensions. This could still be on target for completion by the end of the year. It envisages construction work to start in 2008 with the first trams running by 2011.

The implications of the Birmingham City Council decision for future phases of Metro expansion will be considered by the Passenger Transport Authority at its next meeting on Monday 31 October.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM   #131
Metrolink

NEW ROW EMERGES ON MIDLAND METRO CITY CENTRE EXTENSION
Sunday 30 October 2005
It has been claimed this week that the Tory-Lib Dem Cabinet of Birmingham City Council are attempting to prevent the two-way running of trams along Broad Street. If this went ahead it is believed that the project would not be feasible enough to go ahead with.

Labour have been doing the accusing this week with Kath Hartley, Labour Transportation spokeswoman saying she had evidence that the Council were intent on restricting the use of Broad Street to out of city trams only. She claimed that the initial City Centre extension to Five Ways would have to use a new route through streets parallel to Broad Street. If this was true then a new TWA order would be required as would a new Public Inquiry.

The cabinet agreed on Monday (24 October) that they would press ahead with the street level extension in conjunction with the West Midlands Passenger Transport Authority. Councillor Len Gregory, Cabinet Transportation member, accused Ms Hartley of scaremongering and denied that he had a secret meeting with the PTA last week to discuss Broad Street. However, he did not rule out possible alterations to the proposed extension from Snow Hill to Five Ways via New Street.
Source: icBirmingham
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:04 PM   #132
pirlo_21

bloody hell!!
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:10 PM   #133
Nacho

Yes,the papers were pushing that news last week.Seems like a last ditch effort to scupper things once again.
Metrolink,as a tram enthusiast I think you would be quite interested in developments of late in Seville where I'm based at the moment.The first line with 5km of tunnel will be opened in 2007.Plan was devised in 2001,brought forward in 2002 and work commenced at the end of 2003.A full on street line was announced six months ago,it's gone out to tender with work due to start in spring.It too will be up and running by 2007 .Last week they announced two more lines.These should be operational by 2009.Regional government have a lot of clout and it clearly shows.I despair at public transport progress in England.If you need any more info on tram/underground in Spain fire away.
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM   #134
Metrolink

Nacho - there are similar stories in places like Lyon (3 lines since 2000 and another 3 coming soon) and much closer to home, Dublin - 3 lines built another 6 (yes SIX) coming very soon.

How on earth a city like Dublin (no disrepect to anyone from Dublin) has managed to get in a position to confortably be able to claim they will have 9 lines in the near future, whilst cities like Manchester and Brum struggle to move forward with one more line is a total embaressment to this nation.
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM   #135
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 266

Slight change of subject - Currently here in the San Fernando Valley, there is the Orange Line just opening - an old rail track which has been turned into a 2-way bus-only road with activated traffic lights on every intersection. This bendi-bus will travel at 50mph and connect with the Underground Red Line at North Hollywood - it's also a GAS bus. So much better than me getting a bus on Roscoe Boulevard travelling for an hour to the same destination - and I wont feel like the guy on the movie Speed!

here's the link (they had an open day this weekend and 30,000 tried it out for free)
Why can't Brum find space for bus-only roads through the swathes of ex-industrial landscapes? So much cheaper than laying down tracks and erecting elec wires. Doesn't this make more sense?
http://www.mta.net/projects_programs...nteractive.htm

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #136
Pete2005

Thats what i said. But it seems buses do not attract as many people as trams, guess its the novelty factor. When it comes to cost, that does not matter to centro, its only taxpayers money they are spending, pleanty more where that came from!
Pete2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM   #137
Metrolink

Over the long term you'd be surprised how expensive such schemes are.

Once trams are costructed they are very cheap to run, buses however, are a totally different matter.

Miles more staff required to run them, average tram carries 5 or 6 times more people than a tram, therefore less drivers.

The average tram can be driven many millions of miles, the average bus needs replacing after a few hundred thousand miles.

Not only do the actual vehicles last longer, but compare the individual components, how many hundred thousand miles will a stell wheel last? Compare this with a rubber wheel.

Yes, trams tend to be more expensive as a start up (not as much more than buses as you may imagine) - however, these costs will be more than made back in savings over the first 20 or 30 years of operation of the transport system. (So long as there is sufficient demand on that particular transport corridor).
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:07 PM   #138
Metrolink

Have a gander at http://www.publications.parliament.u...8/37805.htm#a7

Sorry for it being Manchester figures, but you get the idea, you'll notice that the operating costs are less than revenues for trams, but not so for buses.

You'll also notice the price difference is probably less than you'd have imagined.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM   #139
Nacho

Today's Metro news.

Call for all parties to pull their weight as metro deadline looms Nov 1 2005
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Transport bosses say they face a tough deadline to progress with plans to build a metro extension in Birmingham city centre.

Last month the city council finally agreed its desire to run the line underground was not currently feasible and reaffirmed its backing for the street level option from Snow Hill to Five Ways.

Meanwhile, the Passenger Transport Authority and executive Centro had been waiting for the decision in order to submit a final business case to government for both this and another extension to Brierley Hill in December.

Centro believes this timetable is essential to have both lines running by 2011.

A steering committee has been set up so the city council and Centro-PTA can thrash out remaining differences over the exact route of the city centre line.

Last week Birmingham transport cabinet member Coun Len Gregory refused to rule out making alterations to the route, although this might delay the project further.

At a meeting of the PTA yesterday, Centro managing director Rob Donald admitted time was tight but reassured PTA councillors that Birmingham was committed to the plan.

"Two months to get an agreement is shorter than we would have liked but there is a true belief in Birmingham at cabinet and officer level in metro as part of their future transport plans."

He was responding to comments from PTA councillors imploring all concerned to "get on with it".

Coun Renee Spector (Lab Erdington) said: "How ready are we to start this timetable of work?

"December is not that long from now, it is a very short period of time and in my experience if you do not begin on time you do not finish on time."

Coun Roger Horton (Lab Soho and Victoria), the PTA spokesman on metro matters, added: "I hope Birmingham will cooperate with this because everything else has come together. As far as I am concerned 2011 is too far away, I'd have the thing built tomorrow if I could but the first deadline is December and we simply must meet it."

The PTA agreed to welcome Birmingham's renewed commitment to the on-street metro line and noted the fact the city council would like to progress the Birmingham Airport/NEC route as the next priority line.
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:08 PM   #140
pirlo_21

"the Birmingham Airport/NEC route as the next priority line."
bollocks sureley there are are routes that are in more need of trams, the airport is already well served

Tags
centro, network west midlands, roads, trains, tram, transport, wolverhampton metro