daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

LONDON | One Blackfriars | 163m | 52 fl | U/C

==============================================================================================================

Previously:

http://www.property-week.co.uk/story...de=3054337&c=2

Beethams big idea

A north-west group’s 68-storey tower is set to dominate the London skyline.
By Heather Greig-Smith

this week Liverpool-based developer the Beetham Organization submitted plans for a mixed-use tower that could cap off the renaissance at London’s South Bank.

The £500m glass tower will rise 68 storeys and contain a 440,000 sq ft (40,892 sq m) hotel, 310,000 sq ft (28,800 sq m) of residential space and a public viewing gallery on the top floor.

To be built on the site of the former Sainsbury’s headquarters at the junction of Blackfriars Bridge and Blackfriars Road, the Ian Simpson-designed tower will be 740 ft (226.5 metres) high. This would make it the highest living space and public gallery in the UK.

The scheme would also herald the arrival of Beetham and Simpson in London. The privately owned group is well known in the north-west, where it is developing residential-led towers that are beginning to dominate the Liverpool and Manchester skylines. And Simpson is one of Britain’s best emerging architects but is still better-known in the north of England.

If it wins planning permission from Southwark Council the tower will also illustrate the explosion of high-rise living across Britain.

Out of office

Sainsbury’s and Stanhope had earmarked the site for a Foster & Partners-designed 375,000 sq ft (34,840 sq m) office scheme, and a board on its perimeter still advertises it as such. But Beetham has gone for a radical change of use.

The ‘slender glass tower’ will contain a ‘six-star’ hotel, the operator of which has not yet been decided. On the 28th and 29th floors there will be a restaurant and bar, together with a health spa, gym and swimming pool with views across Westminster and the City.

Above the hotel, 220 flats are planned. With construction costs estimated to be in the region of £250m, it will be funded by equity and debt.

The Beetham proposal also represents a significant height difference from the rest of the South Bank. However, the developer is convinced that the plans are right for the location. Its founder and chairman Hugh Frost says: ‘Clearly the scheme previously approved for the site did not meet market demand.’

Beetham bought the site from Sainsbury’s for £48m last November. It was vacated when Sainsbury’s moved to Holborn in 2000. The supermarket group originally intended to redevelop the site for its own occupation and move back, but changed its mind.

Last year it abandoned an attempt to develop the site with Stanhope, after publisher IPC decided not to relocate there; it moved instead to Land Securities’ Bankside 123 scheme, 200 yards to the east.

Frost says: ‘Whilst we will look at other exciting opportunities in London and elsewhere this project will be our prime focus for some considerable time to come.’

Beetham Organization is a family company owned by Frost and sons Simon Frost and Stephen Beetham. Frost’s big break came in the 1980s when he bought a residential investment portfolio, converted Victorian houses into flats and sold them off.

Its first big development was the £40m, 39-storey Beetham Tower at 111 Old Hall Street in Liverpool which has 134 flats and a 200-bed Radisson SAS hotel. It opened last year and is soon to be followed by the £35m 40-storey West Tower, also on Old Hall Street. This has been dogged by controversy: Liverpool City Council initially refused planning permission, but then granted permission when the developer threatened to mount a legal challenge.

In Manchester, Beetham’s £150m 47-storey tower on the Hilton hotel site at 301 Deansgate is due to be completed in 2006. The 515 ft (157 metre) glass tower will be extended to 561 ft (171 metres) by a glass ‘blade’. It comprises 219 flats and a 285-bed Hilton, with a bar on the 23rd floor, underground parking and 100,000 sq ft (92,900 sq m) of offices.

“The scheme previously approved did not meet market demand
hugh frost, beetham”

At 10 Holloway Circus in Birmingham, Beetham is developing a £70m tower, this time of 39 storeys, designed by Ian Simpson Architects, with 152 flats above a 218-bed Radisson SAS hotel. The hotel opens this autumn, and the flats will be ready in 2006.

Yet the Beetham model does not always work. In May, Brighton City Council rejected its plans for a 42-storey tower, designed by architect Allies & Morrison. The planning subcommittee said: ‘It was not considered that concerns could be addressed either by amendment or by imposition of additional conditions.’ Among the objections was that the site was not an ‘appropriate’ location for a tower. Beetham has six months to appeal.

For the most part, however, the group’s plans have sat well with a residential boom that has allowed it to accede to planners’ desires for good architecture, as well as a relaxation in attitudes towards tall buildings. ‘The Blackfriars site is perfectly located to repeat the hotel/residential Beetham model which has been very successfully developed in Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham,’ says Frost.

Prices for the flats will start at £500,000 for a one-bedroom flat, rising to £2.5m for a penthouse suite. ‘This will be the highest publicly accessible space in London and we are confident that it will become one of the capital’s major tourist attractions,’ says Beetham director Stephen Beetham.

The developer dismisses any fears of an oversupply of high-end residential property. ‘The building will be recognisable worldwide and will be marketed internationally where the top-end residential market remains strong,’ says Frost.

The scheme will include affordable housing, as well as 109 affordable homes in an adjacent building. The developer says these will be designed to a standard in keeping with the rest of the site. The emphasis on quality is the cornerstone of Beetham’s application, as it believes Southwark Council’s dedication to good-quality design is an important Criterion in deciding planning permission.

‘Southwark Council’s ambition to promote regeneration with highest-quality architecture was entirely compatible with our aspirations to expand our concept of mixed-use tower developments into London,’ says Frost.

Attention to detail

Malcolm Kerr, founder of project planning adviser DP9, says the application was only submitted after detailed discussions with planning officers at the council and consultation with the local community.

‘The proposal will accord with the emerging Southwark tall buildings policy which is likely to recommend that tall buildings be located at the north end of Blackfriars Road,’ he says. Beetham hopes to have a positive response to the application by the end of the year so it can start on site early in 2006.

As well as consulting Southwark planners, Beetham says it has had positive responses from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, English Heritage and the Greater London Authority. The proposed building is not in the St Paul’s strategic views corridor.

If the London tower does go ahead, it will be the latest in a stream of tall buildings planned for the capital. Deputy prime minister John Prescott last week approved plans for St George’s 591 ft (180 metre) Vauxhall Tower, part of the £200m St George Wharf scheme.

The planning inspector was opposed to the tower, saying it was out of keeping with the existing environment and would have a detrimental effect on the riverscape, but Prescott approved the plans after additional affordable housing was added to the scheme.

Now the north-west’s biggest players are gatecrashing the London party.

Last edited by desertpunk; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Beetham is a quite relyable firm, I'm looking foward for a reality of this one

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #3
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

I don't like it.

Too tall for such a sensitive site, way too close to the river, and the shape doesn't inspire me.

Maybe I'll see some better renderings, but I'm rather disappointed by what I've seen so far.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #4
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Its beautiful - slender, bright and the shape is amazing, but the best bit about it for me is the Glass top - Thats gonna look superb.

AND OH MY GOD -

Quote: Skyscrapernews

..."The Beetham Organization has also announced it has selected Alejandro Zaera-Polo of Foreign Office Architects to design a new office block for it in the City of London on a site assembled in Minories, EC3.
The three acre site will be taken up by a 95,000 square metre office development, the first development of its type planned by the company and a solid indication of the expectations that the London office market is set to rapidly improve but more so that after success in the regions, Beetham are now looking to London big time. " ...

Thats 7,000 sqm bigger then the 307m Bishopgate tower - Thats another 60+ storey tower for London at least - Could London get its first 350m tower

LONDON IS ROCKING

Highcliff liked this post
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

a very sexy tower, but as Will said, I'm not to sure on the location, to close to the river, we'll soon have a skyscraper alley alongside the SouthBank and the city edge.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Javi
A Freak From Hell

Good shape and facade. I like the top of the tower, but I need more pics.
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #7
spxy

Love it
spxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #8
GangstaD

Likes (Received): 1

I like it, need to see better renderings though.
GangstaD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #9
MandarinManMark

Wow, I'm impressed... it seems that skyscraper developments in London started relatively late, but all of its projects have been very modern looking.... I like the architecture... just hope that these new large developments don't destroy that old, classical feel that London has.
MandarinManMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #10
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah, the location is iffy, but I like this one! What are the odds of it being built?
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #11
londonindiboy
wassup

i dont like it it looks very odd.
londonindiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #12
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1498

Hard to say Pottebaum

Pro - Made my Beetham, very respected in the UK.
Con - Out of place and rubbish location.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #13
tommygunn

its nice imagine a night time shot when its built.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #14
birminghamculture
BANNED

I think in the bigger picture its going to be a fantastic addition to London. The river banks seem to be littered with skyscraper proposals. Imagine riding a boat up the thames with towering 700footers surrounding you, and thats before you even get into the city. I like it. that bridge needs changing though.

Pottebaum. Beetham already have skyscrapers being built in Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool - this will start very soon if it gets planning consent.

Like I said before though this office tower which Beetham are also working on is gong to be litterally MASSIVE - 95,000sqm is easily twice the size of Arena Central at 187m and Im looking forward to this more then anything - its a 3 acre site so only 1 tower can really be implemented into the scheme so im expecting a very big bastard here - great news for London.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #15
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25253

that tower looks pretty cool...I hope it's all glass like in the rendering
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #16
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer
that tower looks pretty cool...I hope it's all glass like in the rendering
Oh its all glass - Beetham only do all Glass

Beetham Tower Birmingham

[img]http://www.**************************/php-cgi/gallery/albums/CityBuildings/29CH45_202.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.**************************/php-cgi/gallery/albums/CityBuildings/29CH45_225.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.**************************/php-cgi/gallery/albums/CityBuildings/29CH45_194.jpg[/img]
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #17
Phobos

I like it,but it should be located in a cluster.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #18
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
I like it,but it should be located in a cluster.
Its a big discussion on the UK Boards, as to whether or nto they want another cluster. behind this 226m tower, there is another 170m proposed. so you already have the start of quite a significant cluster, not to mention LBT is pretty close.
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #19
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

I, too, am not too sure about the location. Mabye a location in the city would be better? Anyone else think so.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain
Butcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #20
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 249

Another nice one for LONDON!!
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, one blackfriars