daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #341
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

LOT is replacing the Embraer E175 with CRJ900´s from Nordica on all 3 daily departures to and from Copenhagen from the 26th of March, resulting in a capacity increase of 7%.

SAS is also using the CRJ900 on their 3 daily departures, so from that date its all Bombardier. :-)
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #342
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7710

Warsaw < Prague
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #343
SoboleuS
Homo Josefoviensis

Likes (Received): 2619

Yeah sure, but Warsaw has two airports, and total number of passengers was almost 16 million last year, so Warsaw > Prague

SIMSI, FEJM, rakcancer, Dzigańskyj liked this post

Last edited by SoboleuS; January 14th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
SoboleuS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #344
mateusz.el
Legenda Północy

Likes (Received): 10035

A380 Emirates, yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainboss View Post
tak na szybko z wizyty grubasa na WAW

pogoda byla PERFECT! ludzi bylo z pół tawzena na górce przy 11,
a na paluchu na odlotach nie mniej!

ogólnie dzien spoterski 9/10!! - pozdrawiam!

Moje wątki zdjęciowe:
[Polska] Wspólne zwiedzanie [Europa] Wspólnie podróżowanie - aktualnie relacja z Jerozolimy!
[Trójmiasto] To lubię! [Łódź] Miasto obiecujące [Słowacja] Zaskoczy i zauroczy

SRC_100, FEJM, Brum X, Леонид liked this post
mateusz.el no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #345
SoboleuS
Homo Josefoviensis

Impressive growth in january: more than 30% year to year:

https://www.lotnisko-chopina.pl/en/n...szczegoly.html

Quote:
The best January in the history of Warsaw Chopin Airport.

In the first month of 2017 Warsaw Chopin Airport recorded an increase in passenger traffic of more than 30 percent compared to the same period of last year. The airport handled 962.7 thousand passengers.

EasySeven liked this post
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #346
Slodi

Likes (Received): 5766

A bit older news but so true

Quote:
Clients of the Priority Pass program salon have decided that Preludium Executive Lounge at Warsaw Chopin Airport was the best airport lounge in the world in the Best Business Facilities category.
Feb 2017 statistics according to:
https://www.lotnisko-chopina.pl/pl/a...szczegoly.html

939k passengers (+26,6% compring to Feb 2016)

SoboleuS, SRC_100, Urbanista1 liked this post
Slodi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #347
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2187

source : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...555058&page=53
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #348
The Polman

Likes (Received): 801

These 30% growth numbers are pretty impressive (even though WAW is increasingly becoming a real airline hub in a growing economy), time for some good expansion?

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

mashine1984 liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #349
SoboleuS
Homo Josefoviensis

Unfortunately our new government is planning new "central" airport, between Warsaw and Lodz, so the future of WAW Airport is uncertain...
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #350
Slodi

and so is of our new government
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #351
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboleuS View Post

Unfortunately our new government is planning new "central" airport, between Warsaw and Lodz, so the future of WAW Airport is uncertain...
I don't know how you want to build a hub for 40-50mln pax anually 15 kms away from the city center where there is severe night operating restrictions and no possibility for future expansion.

Cargo is key in a 'hub' airport and unfortunately most cargo operations take place at night, which is absolutely impossible at WAW.

On top of this areas around WAW have been built up with housing developments, office buildings, rail and road infrastructure.

WAW WILL BE EXPANDED (the terminal facility at least) however, even with this the max capacity will probably not exceed 20 mln which is NOT ENOUGH 8-10 years from now.

This is sufficient for the next 5-8 years however, after that the airport would find itself with it's thumb up it's a** and the people criticizing the current government would then criticize it and blame it all on them regardless for 'not thinking ahead'.

Unfortunately in Poland people have a mentality of constant complaining and no matter what happens, they will find something to complain at. This can be both positive and negative in my opinion.

A perfect example of this is LOT. When the EU put restrictions on the airline which forced them to shrink, close routes and minimize their fleet, people complained that it should just be shut down or sold to Lufthansa (after all Poland is colonized by Germany in many ways lol). Now that the airline has ambitious plans people still criticize it and accuse it of being unrealistic due to it's ambitious plans which btw include the new Central Airport in the future.

IMHO the Central Airport is critical for Poland if Warsaw want's to become a real hub in the future. It is important to remember that this is not gonna happen over night with WAW shutting down. I am sure it will be gradual and the first effects will not be witnessed until 10-12 years from now.

I forgot to mention two more things, first the worst runway layout an airport can have is two intersecting runways (which is the case in WAW). This restricts the amount of landings and take offs per hour SIGNIFICANTLY !! It is the former PO-PSL coalition government that failed to design the western highway ring around Warsaw (S8 I believe) in a way that would allow for the construction of a parallel runway 15/33. But even if this was to be possible at this moment, the night restrictions would still exist due the the proximity of the airport to the city and the developments around.

Second, what is most interesting is Lufthansa's critical stand and opposition to Poland's idea of building a Central Airport capable of handling 40-50 mln pax annually. Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder why? In this case I can be certain that no EU grants will be devoted towards the construction of this airport and we will not see any German or western development companies building it as was the case with most of the highways (all money from the EU floated back west).

I don't support the current government nor do I support the opposition parties, politics is dirty all around. All I want to see is LOT and WAW repeat the success story of Finnair and HEL or Turkish and IST. That is the bottom line and regardless of who is in power or who is not in power, I support these ambitious plans as without them, LOT and WAW will always be marginalized.

Cheers,

Proterra liked this post

Last edited by [email protected]; April 30th, 2017 at 05:36 PM.
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:01 AM   #352
Slodi

Some stats
Quote:
For the first time in the entire history of Chopin Airport, the number of passengers served during the last month of winter exceeded one million. The highest historical figure was also reported in Q1 2017, which surpassed Q1 2016 result by 28 percent.

A record March and Q1 2017 at Warsaw Chopin AirportMore than one million passengers served by the airport in March yields a figure which is 28.4 percent higher than the corresponding past year’s result. Between January and March 2017 the number of passengers served at Warsaw Chopin Airport approximated 3 million, 28.5 percent higher than the figure reported last year.

The achieved results can be attributed to the airport’s operating policy and its focus on handling connecting traffic/air transfers which optimise the structure of overall passenger traffic. In Q1 2017 more than 2.5 million international passengers (+23.3 percent) were served. Meanwhile, in the case of domestic traffic the number of passengers handled at Warsaw Chopin Airport over that period was 439.8 thousand (+69.2 percent).

“According to our estimates, this year we are going to serve a total of over 14 million passengers,” claims Mariusz Szpikowski, Director of ‘Polish Airports’ State Enterprise, the operator of Warsaw Chopin Airport.

Warsaw Chopin Airport is the largest airport in Poland. The airport handles 43 percent of all domestic air traffic. In 2016 it served 12.8 million passengers.

mashine1984 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #353
Slodi

Quote:
The Routes Europe 2017 Marketing Awards ceremony in Belfast turned out to be a happy one for Chopin Airport. We received a high commendation in the ‘4 to 20 Million Passengers’ category of airports.

Commendation for Chopin AirportThe Warsaw airport had a very strong competition - airports in Budapest, Bonn-Cologne, Larnaca and Marseille. The winner in this category was the Birmingham airport. This year's Routes award was given to Chopin Airport for the third time, earlier in 2011 in Cagliari and in 2012 in Tallinn.

"We will continue to make further efforts to repeat the achievements of 2017 in cooperation with our existing partners and to convince new customers whose business profile and target markets are relevant to Chopin Airport's development strategy as a strong regional hub," said Grzegorz Michorek, Commercial Office’s Director, receiving the award at the conference in Belfast.

We were distinguished for launching a cooperation with two new carriers offering long haul flights from Warsaw: Air China - to Beijing and Air Canada Rouge - to Toronto. There was also a dynamic increase in the number of passengers (year on year) at 1.6 million and the total number of new routes in 2016.

The Routes Marketing Awards have been awarded for 20 years as a result of voting by airlines. It is the carriers that select the airports that provide them with the best marketing services, including the elements such as the provision of relevant information, data, the quality of the collaboration, and the use of innovative technologies to launch or develop connections.
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:48 PM   #354
laurus

Likes (Received): 5

Very well said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't know how you want to build a hub for 40-50mln pax anually 15 kms away from the city center where there is severe night operating restrictions and no possibility for future expansion.

Cargo is key in a 'hub' airport and unfortunately most cargo operations take place at night, which is absolutely impossible at WAW.

On top of this areas around WAW have been built up with housing developments, office buildings, rail and road infrastructure.

WAW WILL BE EXPANDED (the terminal facility at least) however, even with this the max capacity will probably not exceed 20 mln which is NOT ENOUGH 8-10 years from now.

This is sufficient for the next 5-8 years however, after that the airport would find itself with it's thumb up it's a** and the people criticizing the current government would then criticize it and blame it all on them regardless for 'not thinking ahead'.

Unfortunately in Poland people have a mentality of constant complaining and no matter what happens, they will find something to complain at. This can be both positive and negative in my opinion.

A perfect example of this is LOT. When the EU put restrictions on the airline which forced them to shrink, close routes and minimize their fleet, people complained that it should just be shut down or sold to Lufthansa (after all Poland is colonized by Germany in many ways lol). Now that the airline has ambitious plans people still criticize it and accuse it of being unrealistic due to it's ambitious plans which btw include the new Central Airport in the future.

IMHO the Central Airport is critical for Poland if Warsaw want's to become a real hub in the future. It is important to remember that this is not gonna happen over night with WAW shutting down. I am sure it will be gradual and the first effects will not be witnessed until 10-12 years from now.

I forgot to mention two more things, first the worst runway layout an airport can have is two intersecting runways (which is the case in WAW). This restricts the amount of landings and take offs per hour SIGNIFICANTLY !! It is the former PO-PSL coalition government that failed to design the western highway ring around Warsaw (S8 I believe) in a way that would allow for the construction of a parallel runway 15/33. But even if this was to be possible at this moment, the night restrictions would still exist due the the proximity of the airport to the city and the developments around.

Second, what is most interesting is Lufthansa's critical stand and opposition to Poland's idea of building a Central Airport capable of handling 40-50 mln pax annually. Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder why? In this case I can be certain that no EU grants will be devoted towards the construction of this airport and we will not see any German or western development companies building it as was the case with most of the highways (all money from the EU floated back west).

I don't support the current government nor do I support the opposition parties, politics is dirty all around. All I want to see is LOT and WAW repeat the success story of Finnair and HEL or Turkish and IST. That is the bottom line and regardless of who is in power or who is not in power, I support these ambitious plans as without them, LOT and WAW will always be marginalized.

Cheers,
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #355
Slodi

April 2017 - 1.1 million pax (+24.3%)
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #356
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:

The real problem for LOT will not be EU politics but the fact that the airline industry is already oversaturated on many of the money making long haul routes and increasingly undermined by low cost airlines. Another problem is that Russia and Poland has really shitty diplomatic relations and LOT has to fly over Russian airspace which can shut down really quickly if the Polish government isn't rubbing the Russians the right way.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #357
Dema Kowalenko
BANNED

Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
The real problem for LOT will not be EU politics but the fact that the airline industry is already oversaturated on many of the money making long haul routes and increasingly undermined by low cost airlines. Another problem is that Russia and Poland has really shitty diplomatic relations and LOT has to fly over Russian airspace which can shut down really quickly if the Polish government isn't rubbing the Russians the right way.
So Poland will close its airspace for Russian planes.

They already tasted it when Ukraine and Poland closed their airspace for Sergey Shoygu. It will cause problem for russia too as their economic and demographic centre is in western parts of country.

Besides when airspace is closed for Polish planes i believe EU will intervene.

mashine1984, ascariss liked this post
Dema Kowalenko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #358
phohien

Likes (Received): 114

The airport is not bad and is very convenience and I love the train that link to the downtown or central.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocentX View Post
phohien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #359
Slodi

Quote:
In May, Warsaw Chopin Airport has handled 1.32 million passengers - 22 percent more than in the same period of last year.
Two-digit growth in traffic in MayAfter five months of 2017, over 5.46 million passengers were handled by the Warsaw airport - 26 percent more compared to 2016. Currently the most popular route in regular traffic is London and in charter traffic - the Canary Islands.

In the first months of this year freight traffic has also increased dynamically. Between January and May more than 32 000 tons of cargo were handled - almost 22 percent more than a year ago.

Warsaw Chopin Airport is the largest airport in Poland. In 2016, the port handled 12.8 million passengers –14.4 percent more than in 2015. The airport is managed by the “Polish Airports” State Enterprise, which employs more than 1.5 thousand people.
Old July 9th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #360
tere_fere

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I totally agree with this statement. It is a matter of time, but a new airport will be needed.

Quote:

I think having concerns about LOT is legitimized. Let's not forget why the EU put restrictions - because LOT was about to be bankrupt and only massive transfer of funds from the government saved it. One of the reasons why LOT fell into trouble was because it was overly ambitious relative to its financial abilities. I am optimistic about the plan put forward by the previous CEO and continued by the current one, but let's not be too optimistic in light of LOT's past. Now that fuel is cheap again, it is not too difficult to be profitable. The question is, will this remain the case once the economic situation deteriorates and/or fuel prices rise significantly.

Quote:
Cheers,
I don't want to be any government's spokesman, but the contract for the design of S79, that is the road you probably have in mind, was signed in late 2004 under SLD-UP government, and the actual design works began in 2005, when the PiS-LPR-Samoobrona government came into power. The PO-PSL government later built this road, but the supervision of the design plan where the particular placement of the highway was decided in a way that it would limit the possibility to construct a parallel runway, was under the PiS-LPR-Samoobrona. To be precise, the location decision was signed by the then deputy voivod of Mazovia, Mr. Jacek Sasin of PiS. (the document can be found here http://siskom.waw.pl/materialy/s2/s2_siwz/opis_PB.pdf)
tere_fere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european hub airport, warsaw