daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

DN Archives Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Toledo Development News

To start off the Toledo area development news:

O-I Topic:
Toledo's loss is Perrysburg's gain. Just months after announcing it would leave Toledo, Fortune 500 Owens-Illinois company broke ground Friday (7-29-05) on its new corporate headquarters at the Levis Development Park in Perrysburg.

Company officials turned over the ceremonial first shovels of dirt in a 10:30am event. They also showed off architect's plans for the new global headquarters of O-I. Company chairman and CEO Steve McCracken said the building will be about 100,000 square feet, with a price tag of $20 million dollars. It should take about a year to build, with construction starting August 1st.

The current location of where O-I (downtown Toledo in the leased space of the One Seagate building) and currently they occupy 8 of the 30+ floors:

New O-I world headquarter to be opened in fall of 2006 in Toledo's most southern suburb of Perrysburg--they wanted to be located on their own property with a campus-style offices and to be close to the researchers that currently work in other buildings--they were going to move out of the area to relocate their world headquarter in Paris, France or Miami, Florida, but it came down to this as they felt it was extremely important to stay in the Toledo region:

Town Center at Levis Commons Topic:
J. Preston Levis Commons is a distinctly unique, top quality master planned community built on almost 400 acres in northern Wood County, Ohio . All facets of living and working, including 600,000 square feet of prime retail, entertainment and restaurants, 600,000 square feet of Class A office and over 800 residential units, create the most exciting development in Northwest Ohio in decades.

Built at two main arteries, I-75 and I-475, with over 88,000 vehicles passing per day, the look and feel of the development drives an uncompromised ambiance of understated elegance. The innovative mix of marble, limestone, brick and stucco were chosen to exude warmth and reinforce the welcoming feeling Levis Commons extends. Wide, airy sidewalks and roadways are meticulously landscaped, offering easy access to parking and walking, while pavers compliment the colors and textures of the buildings. Celebrating form and function from Paris, Singapore, Buenos Aires, Milan, Baden Baden and more, Levis Commons meets strict architectural standards established by an architectural review committee. Live. Work. Shop. Dine. Play. - at J. Preston Levis Commons.
This $200-million "Upscale Open-air and lifestyle" mall opened up earlier this past October in Toledo's suburb of Perrysburg with a mixture of retail, residential, commercial developments:

Shops at Fallen Timbers Topic:
The Shops at Fallen Timbers is designed to become an architecturally appealing one million square foot open-air lifestyle center. The striking streetscape design will become a showcase for upscale retailers. The detailed store fronts and freestanding retail will have the characteristics of a quaint, old-style Midwest main street. The 110-acre lifestyle center is designed to feature two department stores, large book store, 16-screen theater, and a village of distinct shops, and restaurants overlooking a feature lake. The Shops at Fallen Timbers is part of a 350-acre mixed use development that will also include additional retail, an office park and single family residential. This project will be headed by General Growth Properties being built in Toledo's southwestern suburb of Maumee. Barnes & Noble, Dillard's, Marshall Fields are being noted to be part of the project and it's slated to be opened by fall of 2007. Here are some pictures of the proposed development:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Adding Infos
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Bonjourtoledo

Water Street Steam Plant development

This is the Water Street Steam Plant development plans:

Proposed residential/retail conversion in the old steam plant; Developers David Ball and Jim Jackson have been tapped by Toledo to undertake a $20 million conversion of the former steam plant on the downtown side of the Maumee River. The renovated facility would house 111 upscale apartments and condominiums. Planned changes and additions are reflected in the above rendering:

Pictures of the current steam plant:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: editing
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Hospital development

Toledo Hospital which is located in between University of Toledo main campus and downtown--they are undergoing a $120 million expansion and renovations of their campus. This the largest hospital in the region of SE Michigan and NW Ohio. It's amazing that they changed their minds at the last minute because they were planning to leave the city by closing this hospital and move their entire campus to a surburb called Maumee:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; August 1st, 2005 at 03:51 AM. Reason: editing
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:01 AM   #4
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District development

This is the vacant Acme Plant that was closed down in the early 1980s--right now this property is going to be transformed into an area called "The Marina District" which consists of Ferry terminal, marina docks, residential, retails, and greenspace. This is located on the east bank of the Maumee River across from downtown. There was numerous of brownfield sites, industrials (will be re-located to north Toledo), and warehouses. It's taken the last four years to get this cleaned up because it's so costly. The Acme Plant would be either converted into a new arena or loft living spaces (has not been decided yet--more people want the new arena on the downtown side by the new 5/3 Field. This entire investment will be over $100 million into this project:

This is the skyline direct view from myself standing on the proposed Marina District which is on the east bank of the river:

This is "The Docks" that is adjacent to the proposed Marina District--The Docks has multiple restaurants, bars, clubs, boating docks, beach volleyball, and fishing area with the view of the entire downtown skyline. This is one of the most successful development in Toledo today and hope to continue expanding the success and take an advantage of the Maumee River:

Shipping is one of the major industries in Toledo--what you see here is ships in the Maumee River heading south to the grain elevators with the Anthony Wayne Bridge in the background:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Adding Infos
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:02 AM   #5
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee River Crossing (I-280) Bridge development

I took the picture from Cherry Street bridge going from downtown to East Toledo--this is the picture of the new Maumee River Crossing Skyway Bridge which is the I-280 freeway. This bridge project started back in 2002 and expected to be completed late 2006 or early 2007. The current freeway bridge has a drawbridge which is heavily used because of the ship liners that goes through Toledo and it creates problems for the freeway traffic. This bridge project cost nearly $300 million and the centerpiece of the bridge with cable will illuminate at night with rainbow colors:

The new I-280 Bridge slated to be completed in late 2006:

The current 1950s built I-280 Bridge:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Adding Infos
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:07 AM   #6
Bonjourtoledo

Glass Pavilion development

This project is slated to open in late summer of 2006 which is across the street from the Toledo Museum of Art. I've enclosed pictures of the architecture, photos, and surrounding area of the pavilion which is located west of the downtown area. Down at the bottom of this thread talks about the details of the Glass Pavilion. Toledo is also known as the Glass City of the World.

This is the rendering of the Glass Pavilion once it's completed:

Glass Architecture Will House Glass Art

The Toledo Museum's Glass Pavilion will be an Architectural Masterpiece

Housing one of the world's finest international glass collections, the new Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art will be an international marvel of its own. The implementation of a new process in glass design and fabrication, the expertise of an internationally recognized architectural firm and a postmodern design built on the belief of social transparency make the building an architectural and social masterwork.

Handpicked by a search committee led by architectural and art historians, community leaders and curatorial staff in 2000, SANAA, Ltd. was awarded the design for the glass center, which will house more than 5,000 pieces of glass from ancient to contemporary times. The Glass Pavilion was the first U.S. commission for SANAA, based in Tokyo, Japan; however, since that time, they have been selected to design the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York. Kazuyo Sejima, one of the premiere women in the international architectural arena, is the lead architect on the project.

At 15 feet tall and 76,000 square feet, Toledo Museum's Glass Pavilion combines the most advanced structural, material, environmental and aesthetic knowledge to create an elegant building that could not have been realized a generation ago. The one-story structure with basement will contain a glassmaking facility consisting of two hot shops as well as studios for lampworking, casting, molding, flat and cold-working techniques. The Pavilion also will include support spaces for loading, storage, administration, conservation and photography along with a multipurpose room for both lectures and seated dinners.

Emphasizing the building's ultimate function, glass will be used in innovative ways architecturally. Curved glass walls will divide the various spaces in the building while creating connections between spaces in a new and unique way. Exterior and interior glass walls are made of two panes laminated together for extreme durability. Although some will be larger, most of the glass wall panels will be eight feet wide and 13 feet, six inches high.

The glass is made by the Pilkington Glass Company and shipped to China for the fabrication process. During this procedure, the raw glass is shaped into the exact sizes needed for the construction of the Glass Pavilion. Since there are no right-angled corners on the exterior of the first floor of the building, much of the glass has to be rounded to fit the corner areas, and other pieces need to be shaped to fit specific spaces. The finished glass will be shipped to Toledo for installation in the Glass Pavilion.
The Glass Pavilion's primary purpose is to provide an in-depth examination of the creative process by presenting the Museum's glass collection within the context of all the visual arts. Within the Pavilion, artists and patrons will explore the creative process of glassmaking through the interpretation of the Museum's collection and by emphasizing the relationship between the art created there and the masterpieces in the collection. Some museums focus on the history of glass, and a few others contextualize works in this media by integrating them within the history of art. The Glass Pavilion will be unique in featuring the close physical relationship between its glass collection, related works in other media, and its glassmaking facilities.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:25 AM   #7
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Topic (Continue)

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:28 AM   #8
Bonjourtoledo

Sports Arena development

Toledo Sports Arena was built in 1948 with 5200 seating and still being USED as of today. The arena hosts many national events and the ECHL Toledo Storm hockey team (farm team for the Detroit Red Wings NHL hockey team)which is very popular in this area. Right now it's being proposed to replace this aging facility with a 12,000+ seating arena in the downtown area:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Adding Infos
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM   #9
Bonjourtoledo

St. Vincent Mercy Center development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:16 AM   #10
Michi
about

Likes (Received): 0

Thought I would include some pics of the new Glass City Skyway I found on its website. I LOVE this bridge!

Ramp A, Greenbelt Parkway to southbound I-280, is progressing with thirteen spans complete.

Ramp D, northbound I-280 to the Greenbelt Parkway, is underway. Ramp D is the last of four ramps to be completed on the project.

All 3,045 segments have been cast, including all 42 delta frames.

All 181 piers are now complete.

Looking north on I-280 at the erected pier segments.

Looking north on I-280 from the main span approaches.

Pier segments are being erected south of the Maumee River.

The Integral T-Piers have a unique design due to their location.

The first of five Integral T-Piers in progress.
Michi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:01 AM   #11
the pope
unRegistered User

Likes (Received): 0

but no, 280 is closed now! (well not all of it)

anywho,

bonjour, are you a member of urbanohio.com yet?
the pope no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
but no, 280 is closed now! (well not all of it)

anywho,

bonjour, are you a member of urbanohio.com yet?
I think I-280 should've been closed as soon as the construction began due to the magnitude of the project.

I am not a member of urbanohio.com
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Bonjourtoledo

I-280 Bridge

Michi--thanks for the great pictures of the I-280 Bridge construction. It will be surreal once it's completed because many folks here thinks this will redefine the skyline of Toledo.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; August 7th, 2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: wording choice
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #15
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development No. 2

This is the Bartley Lofts development which is 7-story lofts priced in between $180,000-350K. Right now about half of the units has been sold-mostly the unit with the full view of downtown has been snapped up quickly. This building is 2 blocks from the 5/3 Field which host baseball games of the Toledo Mud Hens since 2002. The first move-in for residents is slated later this fall and the development team is still renovating and retrofitting the building over period of time.

Pre-construction of the Bartley Lofts:

View of Washington Street going eastward:

View from the rooftop of the Bartley Lofts looking northward:

Architecture drawing of the completed Bartley Lofts:
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #16
Bonjourtoledo

Sports Arena Development No. 2

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #17
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Redevelopment

Big development news for this week in west Toledo was the re-construction of the Westgate Shopping Center to accommodate Costco and other stores to co-exsist with the other remaining stores. This shopping center is a popular area since it's close to the affluent neighborhoods and the university. The Westfield Franklin Park Mall just re-opened the newly expanded wing and new stores with over $120 million investment is about a mile north of Westgate so the ripple effect of redevelopment in this area is happening. Down below is a good article describing the center's history and plans to redevelop.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #18
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Update!!!!

Here is the drawing of the finalized $160+ million Marina District project that is underway starting this coming spring. Be aware this article is very politically challenged due to the fact the incumbent mayor is running for re-election this November against a 2-term (1994-2001) former mayor which makes this race lively.

Proposed Amphitheatre:

Marina Apartments:

Marina Boat Slips:

Marina Ferry Terminal:

Marina Town Shops (Retail):

Marina Town Square with mixture of market-rate homes & retail space:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #19
Bonjourtoledo

O-I World Headquarters Update!!!

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #20
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee River Crossing (I-280) Bridge Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.