daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM   #221
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

My Town

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM   #222
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Latest Update 5-22-2006

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM   #223
Bonjourtoledo

Metropark near downtown

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #224
bungalowbuck

Likes (Received): 0

bonjour, bonjour toledo. i am impressed by your exhaustive documentation of toledo development stories. i have enjoyed your photos of toledo very much. i wonder if you would kindly consider an extensive photo portrait of the olde west end, the old south end, vistula and the ottawa hills areas of toledo? i remember fondly my visits to toledo a number of years ago. i live in florida, so it's not exactly a sunday afternoon drive for me to visit toledo anytime soon. i remember toledo having one of the finest collection of late victorian and arts and crafts era homes in the united states. i would love to see so much more of toledo. again, thanks for all your hard work. it's always a pleasure to read your posts.
bungalowbuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #225
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Actually, I have a library of over 1000 photos of Toledo on film. The problem is getting them scanned!

Be on the lookout for more Toledo photo threads in the future.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #226
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbuck
bonjour, bonjour toledo. i am impressed by your exhaustive documentation of toledo development stories. i have enjoyed your photos of toledo very much. i wonder if you would kindly consider an extensive photo portrait of the olde west end, the old south end, vistula and the ottawa hills areas of toledo? i remember fondly my visits to toledo a number of years ago. i live in florida, so it's not exactly a sunday afternoon drive for me to visit toledo anytime soon. i remember toledo having one of the finest collection of late victorian and arts and crafts era homes in the united states. i would love to see so much more of toledo. again, thanks for all your hard work. it's always a pleasure to read your posts.
Many thanks bungalobuck..however I do have some pictures in the previous posts of the Vistula neighborhood. I will be going to the Old West End festival on June 3-4, 2006 and will definetly be taking pictures of this neighborhood. Once again, thanks for your compliments to this thread.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #227
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim
Actually, I have a library of over 1000 photos of Toledo on film. The problem is getting them scanned!

Be on the lookout for more Toledo photo threads in the future.
I certainly would be waiting for them Pilliod.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #228
Bonjourtoledo

Latest Development News for Levis Commons 5-25-2006

Good news for development expansion of Town Center at Levis Commons with the close access of I-75, I-475, and I-80/90. This will be a welcome addition to economic improvements of our region. There are numerous of past posts in this thread about the Levis Commons development for more details.

Here's another tiny news bit from our local NBC station about this development:

Levis Commons Gets $177.5 Million for Expansion Projects

(Perrysburg, OH) --- A brand new hotel, convention center, and two more retail centers. That's what's in the works for a $177.5 million dollar expansion at Levis Ccommons.

The ink is barely dry on the deal approved by the Toledo Lucas County Port Authority on Thursday.

Its a bond package that will surely change the face of Levi's Commons and Perrysburg.

We're talking to the tune of almost $200 million dollars.

The money will go to build 175 room hotel and convention center, and two more retail centers at the Perrysburg site. The funds come from the sale of bonds, and would partially be used for improvements to streets and sidewalks.

Perrysburg City Council still has to approve the deal at their next meeting on June 6th.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #229
Bonjourtoledo

Follow-Up Development News for Levis Commons 5-26-2006

Old May 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #230
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Latest Update 5-27-2006

Old May 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #231
MgoBlue91

Holy Toledo!

I've been visiting this sight for awhile and never even bothered to look for anything about Toledo. Good job. I check out the bridge every now and again, I'll post some pictures next time I go.

Also, I just got in from Florida and can't believe what they did to Westgate while I was gone!
MgoBlue91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:58 AM   #232
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

^the bridge will be amazing when it's completed (easily the landmark bridge of Ohio). It will be sad to see the beautiful Anthony Wayne Bridge overshadowed, but hey, it's being shown up by a very worthy bridge. Anthony Wayne will probably still be my favorite though...

Glass City Skyway is behind schedule, but it's better done right than done early. Every time I visit home, I go check it out. It reminds of a something that would be in a major Asian city, but it still looks great in the Glass City.

Also, I just got in from Florida and can't believe what they did to Westgate while I was gone!

Westgate is being leveled. Southwyck might be too!

Both are slated for major redevlopments though, so they should be better than their old selves. Let's face it, both were pretty ugly, suburban-styled malls. I'm glad they're being rebuilt. I just hope they are more urban...and do something a little more creative than a "shopping towne."
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #233
Bonjourtoledo

Congrats to Maumee

Congrats is in order of Toledo's southern suburb for one of the ten winners of the 2006 All-American City which they won last night in Anaheim. Maumee has about 15,000 residents but over 30,000 employment population which in Myron Orfield's book it is categorized as a "Job Center" city. Here is a historical synopsis I got from the city's website:

Since pre-historic times, Indians (notably the Ottawa) were the first to utilize the rich resources at the present site of Maumee, Ohio, in the Maumee River Valley. Throughout much of the eighteenth century, French, British and American forces struggled for control of the lower Maumee River as a major transportation artery linking East and West. A decisive American victory over the British and their Indian allies at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794 (see Historic Landmarks in the Recreation, Entertainment and Special Events section) and the conclusion of the War of 1812 (see Fort Meigs in the Recreation, Entertainment and Special Events section) opened the way for American expansion and attracted Eastern emigrants intent on making a fortune in western lands.
A town plat was laid out in 1817 at the Foot of the Rapids of the Maumee River and within a decade, the settlement was gaining recognition as a major trans-shipment point connecting Lake Erie and the far west. The opening of the Wabash and Erie Canal in 1840 further stimulated the economy and led Jessup Scott, a noted town promoter, to predict that Maumee would become the "great city of the West," surpassing all rivals. By mid-century Maumee was indeed a flourishing center of river trade, commerce and shipbuilding. Nearly twenty mercantile establishments crowded along the three miles of ship docks competing for the retail and wholesale trade. Maumee was chosen as the county seat in 1840 and jurists came from miles around to practice in the imposing Greek Revival Lucas County Courthouse erected by private subscription from local citizens. The federal custom house and post office also were located in Maumee.

Dreams of greatness began to fade in the 1850's as larger ships too deep to navigate up river were introduced and the railroad proved a faster and cheaper means of transportation. Population expanded westward and Maumee lost the county seat designation in 1854. A "gas boom" in the 1880's was short lived and Maumee became, as one observer noted, " a sleepy little town."

It would be nearly a century later; in the 1970's that Maumee would experience a real economic renaissance. Today, Maumee is home to one of the largest business centers in Northwest Ohio. Together, Arrowhead Business Park and Maumee's historic business community (a National Register Historic District) contribute to the 30,000 plus jobs located in the community. Over the years Maumee's original boundaries have expanded and the population has grown from the small group of promoters who applied for a municipal charter in 1838 to over 15,000 residents. Although Maumee has experienced many changes, its neighborhoods retain their small town ambiance and many of the historic homes and buildings of the early residents sill grace the tree lined streets of the architectural districts. For more information about Maumee's history, please browse the Historical Landmarks section under the Recreation, Entertainment and Special Events link.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #234
Bonjourtoledo

Interesting Development Fact

Old June 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #235
Bonjourtoledo

Daimler-Chrysler Development News

Old June 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #236
Bonjourtoledo

Daimler-Chrysler Development News No. 2

As of this date, I could not find the follow-up newstory in regards to this development. But the employees of the plant has unanimously approved the changes as they felt they would have to adapt to the changes. It's either vote yes and keep the plant in the region or vote no and Chrysler would shut down the plant. It's not really a win-win situation, but the redevelopment of the plant and the long-term committment to stay in the region is better than having a plant shut down permenantly.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #237
Bonjourtoledo

Pro Bass Sports Update 6-14-2006

Interesting article in regards to a win-win situation for Bass Pro Sports to land in our region which will benefit Toledo and its suburbs (a no-brainer; go-figure):

Toledo could reap windfall from Rossford Bass Pro
By Tony Gonzalez
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer
[email protected]

Toledo may have failed to court Bass Pro this spring, but an agreement forged in 1992 will benefit the city if the sporting goods and outdoors retailer builds in Rossford.
Guided by attorney and former mayoral candidate Keith Wilkowski, Toledo and Rossford formed a joint economic development zone agreement in 1992. To fulfill the agreement, Toledo provides water to a designated area in Rossford. In return, Rossford pays Toledo for the water services and gives Toledo a substantial portion of income tax revenue — 27 cents of every dollar generated from employee income tax and net business profits.
Rossford has made regular payments to Toledo since 1992, but Mayor Carty Finkbeiner said the agreement will bring more money if Bass Pro builds within the zone known as the “Golden Triangle” between Interstate 75 and the Ohio Turnpike (south side of Route 795, bordered by I-75 and Deimling Road). Wilkowski estimated Toledo receives $50,000 per year from Rossford.
“With Bass Pro going [to Rossford] we anticipate more income tax,” said Bob Reinbolt, Finkbeiner's chief of staff.
Rossford City Administrator Ed Ciecka declined comment concerning talks between Bass Pro and Rossford. Although Bass Pro has not announced a Rossford location, and the number of potential employees and salaries is undetermined, Reinbolt said Toledo would receive a substantially larger amount of money from Rossford.
“It doesn't cost us anything — we're not putting any infrastructure in and we get a portion of the JEDZ,” Reinbolt said, calling the agreement a “win-win situation” for both cities.
The JEDZ faces review May 2008 and every five years, but a clause in the agreement reads, “The intent herein being that so long as Toledo supplies water to the JEDZ area, then this JEDZ contract shall be in full force.”
Wilkowski said the received money goes into Toledo's general funds for investment or city improvements.
Finkbeiner said Toledo will be in a good position even though Bass Pro did not choose the Marina District. He estimated it would have cost Toledo approximately $40 million in underwriting and tax abatements to satisfy Bass Pro.
“We are really excited we didn't have to spend in excess of $32 million,” Finkbeiner said.
Reinbolt agreed.
“When we dealt with Bass Pro they wanted everything including the kitchen sink, which we threw in,” he said.
Finkbeiner said a Bass Pro in Rossford would attract customers to other Toledo and Wood County businesses.
“While I would have loved them [Bass Pro] to come to Toledo ... now we can keep our fingers crossed their decision is to come into Wood County,” Finkbeiner said.
“If Bass Pro selects a Rossford site within the JEDZ, the city of Toledo will share in income tax,” Ciecka said. “Any type of new development in the Crossroads Centre area, Toledo would share income tax.”
Ciecka said Rossford has paid Toledo increasing payments since 1992 at approximately $100,000 in recent years. Ciecka said Bass Pro has not provided a payroll estimate, so the potential increase in payments to Toledo cannot be estimated.

Income tax
Wilkowski said the JEDZ pays Toledo out of employee income tax, so payments to Toledo would not decrease because of numerous tax breaks Bass Pro may request from Rossford. He said one tax credit, which rebates employers for a portion of employees' income taxes, could apply to Bass Pro if the company creates a designated number of jobs. Wilkowski said Rossford has not used such a credit.
“I don't see the JEDZ not working as everyone intended it,” Wilkowski said. “It was a very forward-looking agreement that gives Toledo a significant share of the regional economic development pie.”
“If there was a tax incentive on the income tax, it could possibly affect the JEDZ, but there haven't been talks of that,” Ciecka said.
Toledo has formed other JEDZ agreements with surrounding cities. Wilkowski said the 1992 agreement with Rossford was “definitely cutting edge” at the time.
The city formed a similar agreement with Perrysburg Township, but the township has not annexed land that would trigger exchange of services. Toledo continues to exchange services with Maumee from a 1991 JEDZ that faced litigation for technical defects, but which was revised in 2002 for enforcement until 2087. Toledo, Maumee and Monclova operate on another JEDZ.
Wilkowski estimated that as of last year Toledo had received at least $2.5 million under existing JEDZ agreements, with funds coming into Toledo at a rate of about $600,000 per year.
“JEDZs are wonderful tools for regional cooperation and tax-sharing,” Wilkowski said. “If we're ever going to approach regionalism it's going to be through individual contracts and collections of agreements where we cooperate with each other like a JEDZ.
“Right now we have a water agreement with the city of Toledo. Our contract will expire, and as we go into negotiations, the city of Rossford will have to consider alternatives,” Ciecka said. “We have to look at alternatives as time goes on — nothing's permanent. It was a logical and fair, proportionate sharing in 1992, but in 2006 ... or 2008, it might not be appropriate.”
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #238
Bonjourtoledo

Jeep Boom Update 4-15-2006

Very good news for this region as Daimler-Chrysler has forgoe to hire back the 750 laid-off or new workers for the expanded Jeep plant. I have two articles in regards to this story which broke out today; I guess this is an upswing on the contrary to the other plant in Perrysburg downsizing/converting which I posted in this thread:
This article is from our local CBS affiliate:

DaimlerChrysler to Add Third Shift to Build Dodge Nitro
June 15, 2006 11:37 AM EDT

TOLEDO (AP) -- About 750 jobs are being added at an auto assembly plant in Toledo later this year. The Chrysler Group says today that the jobs are being added to start production on the Dodge Nitro, a new mid-sized SUV. Nearly all of the jobs on the new third shift will be filled by current or laid-off Jeep workers at the Toledo North Assembly Plant, which opened in 2001.

The plant also produces the Jeep Liberty, Wrangler, and will make the 4-door Wrangler once it goes into production.

DaimlerChrysler is spending $600 million dollars to developand produce the Nitro. "Its presence will go a long way to expand the Dodge brand," said Byron Green, DaimlerChrysler's vice president of truck and activity in a story first broadcast on WTOL last fall. "There's nothing on the market quite like it."

The Dodge Nitro will use the same frame, engine, suspension, and transmission as the Jeep Liberty, but the Nitro is a little bit roomier than the Liberty, so drivers who find the Liberty a bit cramped might like it more.

Toledo Jeep currently has 3,800 workers and 200 on a rotating layoff. Initial Nitro test vehicles were built in Detroit this year. Toledo Jeep has been home to early prototypes for about five months.

A 2007 Dodge Nitro had an unlikely unveiling on a Toledo street back in May. One of the prototypes, driven by a Chrysler worker, bumped into the back of a semi truck on a public street. Police ticketed the Nitro driver for ignoring a stop sign. A company spokesman says DaimlerChrysler employees routinely drive new vehicles between the Toledo plant and headquarters in Auburn Hills.

If you like what you see here and want to buy one, you'll have to wait. The Nitro won't be available until later this summer.

Experts say diversifying the Toledo North plant makes good economic sense. Veteran workers tell News 11 they are "ecstatic" about the expansion of products and jobs in north Toledo. "It's very exciting. It's going to offer us opportunity for volume," said John Vannetta, a 22-year Jeep employee, in a story first broadcast last fall. "Should be good for the workers. Bring back some laid off workers that are laid off at this time."

"It's not a huge SUV, it's a smaller SUV, so in this market it will be good," said Rick Shortridge, a 21-year Jeep employee, in that same story from last fall. "The larger SUV market seems to have gone soft."

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #239
Bonjourtoledo

Plans for the vacant Fiberglas (Hytower) Tower?

Thank goodness there are talks and possibility of plans for this vacant 30-story Hytower Building. It's been vacant for nearly 10 years since Owens-Corning moved into their new riverside world headquarters; I'm excited of what's next with this building--so we'll stay tune:

Various pictures of the Hytower Building:

This article is from our local FOX affiliate in regards to this possible redevelopment project:

Future Of The Fiberglas Tower
Dated: 06/16/2006 04:51:17 PM

On Thursday the Fiberglas Tower was mentioned for the first time in years. That's because firefighters from around the country were training inside the vacant skyscraper. But the building's owners say eventually new life could be coming to this Toledo landmark, bringing it back to its former glory.

On May first 1967 a ground breaking was held for what was going to be the cities tallest skyscraper. The construction took over two years and when it was completed the Fiberglas Tower stood four hundred feet tall and housed thirty floors, many of which were occupied by Owens-Corning Fiberglas.

So what went wrong? Ten years ago the building became vacant and it hasn't been filled since. But it’s now owned by the Eyde Corporation out of Michigan. Mark Clouse with the company says, "We held it down for eight years or so and are still hopeful for the transition, but it just hasn't happened yet."

But a lot of work has been done. All but three of the floors are completely gutted. Clouse also says, "We abated all of the mold, we removed carpet and ceilings tiles and a great deal of dry wall in the building." As for the asbestos it is contained but needs to be removed which will cost over $2 million.

So the possibilities are endless for the property. The Eyde Corporations just put the building on the market. The county appraises the North Saint Claire property for $4 million but the price tag on the land, parking garage and building is $7 million.

As of right now there are three out-of-state parties interested in the property. They are looking to turn the building into a multi-purpose facility with restaurants, shops, a gym and condos.

Tearing the building down was another option. But it would have to be de-constructed floor by floor which would cost around $15 million.
Old June 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #240
Zuelas

I was in Toledo a couple months ago and I wondered why there were no lights on in that bldg. From my perspective it seemed to be the tallest skyscraper in that area and seemed very odd that there was no life in it. I really like Toledo and hope it sees the redevelopment it deserves.