daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #261
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Westgate Development Update with Pics 7-18-2006

Here are the update pictures of the Westgate redevelopment construction, you can see previous posts in this thread in regards to this project:

Soon to be demolished with Costoc; about 25 stores exist in the remaining of the old shopping center:

This area is under construction; this used to be the east side of the shopping center which was demolished in late spring and once it's completed the existing stores and new stores will be making its move for Costco:

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #262
Bonjourtoledo

Neighborhood Spotlight: East Toledo

I took some snapshots around East Toledo which gives you a clear view of what the folks see everyday; I did several posts in this thread about this neighborhood with other pictures:

Peering through the International Park's greenery:

Another greenery shot from this neighborhood:

S.S. Willis Boyer Museum Ship and the Warehouse District skyline behind it:

Hi-Level Bridge (a.k.a. Anthony Wayne):

One of the East Toledo streets go under the Hi-Level Bridge which I thought it looks cool:

Anderson's Grain Elevator with one of the European liners:

Skyline shots from Miami Street along the river:

New housing developments which are the riverview homes called "Starboards":

Railroad Bridge over the Maumee River:
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #263
Bonjourtoledo

Neighborhood Spotlight: Lagrange

Lagrange neighborhood is the Polish area of Toledo with a strong heritage and busy annual festival; the residents take huge pride of their ethnicity as they embrace all race:

Looking down on Lagrange Street:

Saint Aldabert Catholic Church:

Streetscape of Lagrange:

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #264
Bonjourtoledo

Suburb Showcase: Maumee

Maumee is one of Toledo's suburb which right on the south side of the city limits. The population is about 15,000 and it's considered as a "job center" city since there are more employees who work in this town than the number of residents. Maumee was acknowledged as "All-America City" this year as they pride themselves on schools, neighborhoods, businesses, and quaint-like ambience to their community. I have several posts in this thread that showcases Maumee:

Old Linc Inn which has been renovated and now has small offices and an Italian bistro:

Maumee Theatre:

City Hall:

Downtown Maumee looking south on Conant Street:

Downtown looking east on Wayne Street:

Old Depot Station:

Various of historic homes:

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #265
Bonjourtoledo

Suburb Showcase: Perrysburg

Perrysburg, Ohio has about 17,000 residents and it's growing like mad in the southern metro area of Toledo. The Town Center at Levis Commons made its debut in late 2004 and many expensive homes are crowding this community because of good schools. I don't particularly care for this suburbia town but I love their downtown which is filled with shops and cafes. I have many posts in this thread in regards to Perrysburg, O-I World Headquarters, and Levis Commons:

Perry's Landing:

City Hall:

Downtown:

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #266
Bonjourtoledo

Suburb Showcase: Rossford

Rossford sits on a bluff of the Maumee River which is southeast of downtown Toledo. Rossford was known for it's Libbey-Ford-Owen Glass companies and many other glass factories. The residents definetly pride themselves with small-town atmosphere and their schools. Their population is over 6,000 and growing as they annex many open lands south of the "old" Rossford; the "new" Rossford has many hotels, restaurants, and big box stores nestled in an area known as "Crossroads of America" (I-80/90, 75, U.S. 20 and S. R. 795):

Former Libbey-Owen-Ford headquarters which specializes in glass-making:

Looking down on the main drag of the town:

Downtown buildings:

One of the glass factories:
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #267
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Hospital Construction Latest Update

Here is the latest update on the expansion project of the Toledo Hospital; you can see several posts in this thread in regards to this development:

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #268
Bonjourtoledo

St. V's Contruction Picture Update No. 4

The latest update on the expansion project at St. Vincent's Medical Center as they build a Hearts Center:

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #269
Bonjourtoledo

Bonus Snapshot

You want density? You've got it!!!!

Old July 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #270
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District: Ice Rink project

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #271
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

Likes (Received): 0

Always had a thang for Maumee.

Yet I hate Sprawlsburg. Which is exactly what it is.

And yep, we ALWAYS used to go ice skating at the outdoor rinks, and they were always PACKED, especially around primetime.
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #272
Bonjourtoledo

UT Savage Hall Arena Redevelopment News

Forget about UT Rockets joining the venture of the new proposed downtown arena which means the plans of a downtown arena will move on without UT; they've received over $5 million for renovations and expansion of their existing on-campus arena from their alumni. I have two articles (The Blade and The UT News) that talks about the latest development. I'm still hunting for the rendering of the proposed expansion of Savage and I will post as it becomes available to me.

The UT News:
UT announces $6 million gift with $5 million to fund Savage Hall project
By Paul Helgren
Jul 17, 2006

The University of Toledo today announced a $6 million gift, $5 million of which is earmarked for new construction and additions to Savage Hall. The donation from Charles and Jacqueline Sullivan is the largest single gift ever made to the UT Athletic Department.

UT Athletic Director Mike O’Brien said that Savage Hall will retain its current name, but naming opportunities in honor of the Sullivans for the entire athletic complex in and around Savage Hall will be explored. That complex will include a renovated Savage Hall, new offices attached to the current building, the UT Track, the Varsity Tennis Courts, and may also at some point in the future include an indoor practice facility.

“We cannot say enough about the generosity of Chuck and Jackie Sullivan,” O’Brien said. “Their donation for the athletic facilities project is truly inspiring. Their gift initiates the ‘Building Champions’ athletics capital campaign. In turn, their gift will help Savage Hall become one of the premier campus arenas in the Mid-American Conference.”

In addition to the gift for Savage Hall, the Sullivans also will donate an additional $1 million to the University in the form of $500,000 for the Charles A. Sullivan Scholarship Fund in the College of Business Administration and $500,000 to the Patricia Ann Sullivan Alumni Honors Scholarship Fund.

Longtime supporters of UT, the Sullivans made the first major gift of the University’s current capital campaign by donating $1.2 million to the Athletic Department in 2003 for the renovations of the track, tennis courts and soccer field, bringing their total contribution to the capital campaign to more than $7 million. Their overall contribution to UT over the years amounts to more than $12 million, making them the second-highest donors in school history.

The media turned out en masse for the press conference.
“This wonderfully generous commitment from Chuck and Jackie Sullivan speaks to a tremendously important aspect of campus life,” said UT President Lloyd Jacobs. “This gift is transformative in that it greatly improves our ability to accomplish our mission, which is ‘to improve the human condition.’ I expect the Savage Hall project to move forward forthwith.”

Chuck Sullivan, a 1959 graduate of the UT College of Business, is the retired chairman, CEO and president of Interstate Bakeries Corp. He serves as the vice chairman of the UT Foundation Board of Trustees and was chairman of the UT40 Campaign, UT’s last capital campaign, which exceeded its $40 million goal.

“I am proud to make this donation to help the athletics capital campaign,” Sullivan said. “I feel strongly that UT needs a first-class arena on its campus. The students deserve to be able to walk to basketball games and other events held in Savage Hall. Hopefully, this pledge will inspire others to step up and contribute to the athletics capital campaign.”

Although O’Brien said it is too soon to know the exact details of the entire project, the most recent study commissioned by the University calls for dramatic changes both inside and outside of Savage Hall. That plan, submitted by the Columbus architectural firm of Moody•Nolan Inc., includes:

• A new two-story athletic complex that would be built as an addition to Savage Hall. The addition would include a brick and glass building that would be connected to Savage Hall on the north and east sides. Features of the this building would include new locker rooms, a new weight room, a new training room, a pro shop, a hall of fame area, a new ticket office, as well as new coaches and administrative offices.

• A complete renovation of the Savage Hall basketball arena. Features would include new spectator seating, luxury suites, a renovated Joe Grogan Room, and a state-of-art video scoreboard and sound system.

O’Brien noted that the Savage Hall project is the first phase of an overall plan for an athletic complex that also may include an indoor practice facility for football and other sports.

“We feel this is just the first step toward the creation of an athletic complex that will be unrivaled in our conference,” O’Brien said. “When completed, the new athletic complex will be one of the real jewels of our campus.”

Savage Hall, formerly Centennial Hall, opened in 1976. In July 1988, The University of Toledo Board of Trustees voted to rename the building John F. Savage Hall. Savage, a 1952 UT graduate, was instrumental in the campaign to raise funds for the arena, as well as the Glass Bowl Renovation Project. He died in 1993.

One of Savage’s contemporaries involved in both of those fund-raising projects was Chuck Sullivan, who said, “I knew John Savage, and it is important to me that the arena continue to bear his name.”

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #273
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District: Ship Terminal Development News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #274
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Update News

According to our local paper The Blade, the Marina District now has a local developer to take this project to full steam. Larry Dillin, head of the Dillin Corp. created the Town Center at Levis Commons (debut in 2004) which is a open-air mall with residential and commercial mixture. Now with the expansion of the Levis Commons underway and the renovation/overhaul of Southwyck Mall, he will now do the Marina District which will be a full plate for our homeboy. I have several previous posts in this thread in regards to various of development projects (i.e. Southwyck, Levis Commons, etc) that can give you a background of what we are seeing here in our region. I will post more updates and changes as it becomes available in regards to the Marina District.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #275
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Latest Update 7-29-2006

Latest update in regards to the cost of constructing the new downtown arena. It was interesting to read bias in this article about "it's a blow to the arena proposal that University of Toledo would not be part of"--BULLCRAP! The downtown arena will do phenomenal without the UT sports since the current arena already hosts plenty other sporting and entertainment events. I've heard through the grapevine that UT will use the downtown arena for NCAA Playoffs and other national-coverage events.

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #276
Bonjourtoledo

Expansion development in downtown Toledo 7-29-2006

Such welcoming news for creation of new jobs in the Toledo region especially in downtown. I work in similar fields as SSOE and I have a very high respect to the firm because of its quality of work and employees they provide. I will update as soon as it becomes available in regards to whether they've got tax credits to expand or not. Their offices is located in between the downtown and uptown area near the Main Library on Madison.

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #277
Bonjourtoledo

Hickory Farms Development News

As much as I don't agree with the logic of building a distribution center in Illinois (hence the Ohioan bias), Hickory Farms is well known throughout the midwestern region. Hickory Farms also has a rich history in our region as well as city of Maumee. As they propose to build a new distribution facility but will keep head office here--I'll believe it when I see it. Toledo region has one of the better transportation connection in the country and I strongly believe they should remain here in the Northwest Ohio region. Even building it toward the Indiana stateline along the Turnpike would be better, but the CEO is using the logic of being close to vendors behind this decision.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #278
Bonjourtoledo

Mercy Hospital Cancer Center Plans 8-4-2006

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #279
Bonjourtoledo

Regional Office Vacancy Report 8-4-2006

OFFICE VACANCY RATES: (As of June 30, 2006)

Metro Toledo: 13.3% (June '05--13.9%)
Suburban: 12.1% (June '05--12.1%)
Downtown: 15.1% (June '05--16.4%)

U.S. Suburban: 14.6%
U.S. Downtown: 12.2%

Source: CB Richard Ellis/Reichle Klein

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #280
Bonjourtoledo

SSOE Expansion News 8-4-2006

SSOE has going to expand in downtown Toledo instead of at the other firm in Midland, Michigan. This is the second post in regards to news as to whether if the state grants tax credit to the firm for expansion and job creations. The current downtown firm has nearly 300 employees and will be adding 120 new jobs.