daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #281
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Marina District Latest Update 8-9-2006

Here's the update to the ampitheatre project in the Marina District and I think by having two of them (one in Marina District and one at the Zoo) will co-exist well in booking and showing various events. With the riverside view and lake breeze at an amphitheatre in the Marina District would provide a full array of ambience to the atmosphere. There has to be more recreational and entertainment activities to correlate with the river which is very popular around the country.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #282
Bonjourtoledo

Bike Trail Project at Int'l Park

Kudos to more enhancement projects on the way around the downtown area. With Metroparks near the Union Station, the new parks/observation decks/walk-ways at the new I-280 Bridge, and now a bike trail in the International Park where the popular The Docks is located is key to enhance our lifestyle. The International Park/The Docks is on the east bank of the Maumee River directly across from the downtown skyline. This enables to enjoy the urbanity scenery; however, I can't wait to ride my bike over there.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #283
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee River Crossing/I-280 Bridge Update News

This is it! We are entering the home stretch zone as the I-280 Bridge is set to complete which the project began in early 2002. From my view from the rooftop patio the bridge is looking phenomenal and will redefine Toledo's skyline IMO.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #284
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Final Proposal

The final plans for the downtown arena is here and now will be revealed today in a press conference. I will post more articles as it becomes available. This is a long, long time coming to build a new arena to replace the older arena on the other side of the river which was opened in 1948. Good riddance!

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #285
Bonjourtoledo

Shops at Fallen Timbers Development 8-9-2006

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #286
Bonjourtoledo

Owens State Community College Development News

With a huge sprawling campus in Perrysburg Township (Wood County) and enrollment of over 20,000, the board of trustees considering sites in Lucas County Wood County's north neighbor) where Toledo is located. I'm glad someone is taking notice about the gas prices and rising tuition, it makes sense to have college classes near the majority of the population. I will post further news in regards to this development as it becomes available.

Old August 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #287
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development News--Sports Venue

With the aftermath of yesterday's press conference and rolling out the plans to build the $80 million arena in downtown, there would be spin-off development news. The media and public has been pretty supportive that this project is finally underway to become a reality.

Old August 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #288
Bonjourtoledo

Fly to the Big Apple from Glass City?

With the internationally dominated airport 40 miles north of us, Toledo Express is like the underdog saying "I think I can...I think I can" as the Detroit Metro overpowers most airports around (Lansing, Flint, Fort Wayne) as it sucks passengers out. I am floored with the possible direct flight to the Big Apple and it would be great if it becomes a reality.

Old August 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #289
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

Likes (Received): 0

that would be amazing it if fell through.
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #290
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774
that would be amazing it if fell through.
Which would fell through? The direct flight or downtown area?
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #291
Bonjourtoledo

O-I World Headquarters Update

The day has arrived after a year-long construction project. As one chapter closes in downtown Toledo another new chapter will open. There has been some rumors of the former space of O-I at the One Seagate Tower will be filled which will be announced after the lease is up in mid-September. Stay tune.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #292
Bonjourtoledo

Central City Redevelopment Projects

Who doesn't love the central city? Central city is not ghetto, it's not bad, it's not poor; it simply needs attention, nurturing, and some love which has a lot of potential sites. To start of this brownstones housing development they are starting with 6 units but it's a 44-unit development project which has between 3-4 bedrooms for each unit. With high gas prices and concerns for the environment green-space this is a way to go by redeveloping central city or infilling, however, the city schools and job outlook is currently improving which is the key to bring people back into the city.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #293
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

absolutley

I am so excited for the development of Toledo and it's progress we have seen in the last year (Thanks Carty!!). We just need to make sure everything that is planned to happen actually does happen. I am a young guy (25) but I really want to get involved in developing Toledo into an amazing city. I have about 234 Ideas for things that could be done to really make T-Town a destination for travel/business/jobs/living. Anyways, Thank you so much for posting all of the info/articles that you do. All of this info makes me giddy with excitment.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #294
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo
Which would fell through? The direct flight or downtown area?
Well the arena will happen, once they get all the kinks worked out. I was actually mentioning the direct flight to NYY. Its definetely a nice start, and hopefully direct flights to/from other major cities wont stop there.
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #295
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25
I am so excited for the development of Toledo and it's progress we have seen in the last year (Thanks Carty!!). We just need to make sure everything that is planned to happen actually does happen. I am a young guy (25) but I really want to get involved in developing Toledo into an amazing city. I have about 234 Ideas for things that could be done to really make T-Town a destination for travel/business/jobs/living. Anyways, Thank you so much for posting all of the info/articles that you do. All of this info makes me giddy with excitment.
Thank you toledo25 and welcome to skyscrapercity.com! I look forward in seeing your ideas and go into full discussions about Toledo area development and redevelopment projects. There's a reason why Carty is back in office with nearly 65% of the votes, his record speaks for himself despite of his every-so-often passionate, silly outbursts.
Old August 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #296
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774
Well the arena will happen, once they get all the kinks worked out. I was actually mentioning the direct flight to NYY. Its definetely a nice start, and hopefully direct flights to/from other major cities wont stop there.

Direct flight to NYC would be fabulous! Even though we have direct flights to Chicago--I'd prefer taking the Amtrak which we go couple of times a year. I love taking the train trip to the heart of Chicago downtown. But a direct flight is much needed from Toledo to NYC and vice versa; so hopefully it will work out soon.
Old August 20th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #297
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

The new brownstones will kick ass!

I'm glad they will be affordable and projects like that interest me more than a new arena- though it's awesome to hear it's finally happening!

There's been a lot of good infill in Toledo lately and the new arena will be built on one of the largest surface lots in the CBD. I think a lot of people are starting to listen to Tom Chema (he consulted on the Mud Hens stadium and has said adamently that the city needs to get rid of its surface lots). I'll really miss Club Bijou (great concert venue and there's a lot of history there), but it's coming down for the right kind of project.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #298
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

There seems to be a fair amount of action in this thread, so I'd like to give it a sticky. Is that cool with you guys?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #299
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

cool

Cool with me. hehe

Here are just some of my ideas... some will never happen i am certain, but hey it's fun to dream right?

1) Indoor/Outdoor Water Park on the river…heavily themed with a connecting resort that provides transportation by water (water taxi/people bridge) to Other side of river to 5/3 field, the new Arena and or The Docks. I was actually working on possibley creating a biz. plan / proposal for Carty back before he was re-elected, however the massive size of the project would have rendered me insane to do by myself.

2) Adding a lot of vibrant/colorful LCD billboards ala times square, Giant Posters of Toledo events/functions from The Opera House to Mudhens Games to Jamie Farr Classic… selling advertising for local/regional/national companies in the downtown area. (revenues for the city)

3) Arts & Entertainment District (Adams St.) for live concerts / clubs / diners / theater / gallery’s. A hip contemporary “themed” district which appears to be like a page from bladerunner, a completely different experience than any other city can offer. From the look and feel to the design of the block. Something that says “This is the city of the future”

4) Indoor Entertainment complex that houses Theaters / Shopping / Dining late at night, the city currently shuts down at 9pm – 10pm. People need an alternative to clubs/bars after 9pm.

5) Incentive to young Toledo Residents / Graduates for starting a small business, providing young people under 30 grants/start up funding.

6) Advertise Toledo, get a professional film crew to Toledo… to make a “QUALITY” film / commercial (ala Michael Bay or Tony Scott) to film a :30 – 1:00 commercial to show what Toledo has to offer, use it as part of the presentation to potential investors/companies…the problem with Toledo is there aren’t enough “Futurists” living/working in decision making roles. We need to sell ourselves as a “new city” a place for businesses to come and grow/evolve with the “City of the future”. Show Toledo as a beautiful, accessible, convenient and cutting edge place to live and work.

7) A Rollercoaster / Ferris wheel / Observation attraction in the downtown vicinity to boost visitors and tourists to the downtown region. Not building a theme park, but in the entertainment district (Fifth Third Field / New Arena) having people passing through actually stop and experience Toledo maybe on their way home from work or Cedar Point or on their way to Michigan / Chicago / Cleveland / Columbus / Pennsylvania . We are the Epicenter/Hub of the Midwest.

8) Recruiting different businesses that this region of the country doesn’t have hardly any of i.e. “Fatburger” “IKEA” “Microsoft” “Google” “Apple” “Gucci”

9) Become one the first cities to have free wireless internet city wide.

10) FILM FESTIVAL that brings people to the downtown area annually.

In order for the city to stay alive we have to be able to move past the “historic landmark” of what was and become a city that Will Be. Creating a downtown experience like non other will create jobs, a place to live, a place to visit. Our city needs to become “an experience” vs. just a downtown city area, from a living/working perspective it has to be a place that is desired by many to come to and our college graduates to stay in. Toledo can be great again. We need to move forward and begin today, not tomorrow.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:40 AM   #300
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen
There seems to be a fair amount of action in this thread, so I'd like to give it a sticky. Is that cool with you guys?
*FAINTS* THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's party time in the Glass City!