daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:56 AM   #301
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25
Cool with me. hehe

Here are just some of my ideas... some will never happen i am certain, but hey it's fun to dream right?

1) Indoor/Outdoor Water Park on the river…heavily themed with a connecting resort that provides transportation by water (water taxi/people bridge) to Other side of river to 5/3 field, the new Arena and or The Docks. I was actually working on possibley creating a biz. plan / proposal for Carty back before he was re-elected, however the massive size of the project would have rendered me insane to do by myself.

2) Adding a lot of vibrant/colorful LCD billboards ala times square, Giant Posters of Toledo events/functions from The Opera House to Mudhens Games to Jamie Farr Classic… selling advertising for local/regional/national companies in the downtown area. (revenues for the city)

3) Arts & Entertainment District (Adams St.) for live concerts / clubs / diners / theater / gallery’s. A hip contemporary “themed” district which appears to be like a page from bladerunner, a completely different experience than any other city can offer. From the look and feel to the design of the block. Something that says “This is the city of the future”

4) Indoor Entertainment complex that houses Theaters / Shopping / Dining late at night, the city currently shuts down at 9pm – 10pm. People need an alternative to clubs/bars after 9pm.

5) Incentive to young Toledo Residents / Graduates for starting a small business, providing young people under 30 grants/start up funding.

6) Advertise Toledo, get a professional film crew to Toledo… to make a “QUALITY” film / commercial (ala Michael Bay or Tony Scott) to film a :30 – 1:00 commercial to show what Toledo has to offer, use it as part of the presentation to potential investors/companies…the problem with Toledo is there aren’t enough “Futurists” living/working in decision making roles. We need to sell ourselves as a “new city” a place for businesses to come and grow/evolve with the “City of the future”. Show Toledo as a beautiful, accessible, convenient and cutting edge place to live and work.

7) A Rollercoaster / Ferris wheel / Observation attraction in the downtown vicinity to boost visitors and tourists to the downtown region. Not building a theme park, but in the entertainment district (Fifth Third Field / New Arena) having people passing through actually stop and experience Toledo maybe on their way home from work or Cedar Point or on their way to Michigan / Chicago / Cleveland / Columbus / Pennsylvania . We are the Epicenter/Hub of the Midwest.

8) Recruiting different businesses that this region of the country doesn’t have hardly any of i.e. “Fatburger” “IKEA” “Microsoft” “Google” “Apple” “Gucci”

9) Become one the first cities to have free wireless internet city wide.

10) FILM FESTIVAL that brings people to the downtown area annually.

In order for the city to stay alive we have to be able to move past the “historic landmark” of what was and become a city that Will Be. Creating a downtown experience like non other will create jobs, a place to live, a place to visit. Our city needs to become “an experience” vs. just a downtown city area, from a living/working perspective it has to be a place that is desired by many to come to and our college graduates to stay in. Toledo can be great again. We need to move forward and begin today, not tomorrow.
1. With Sandusky having 3 waterpark resorts, I don't see why Toledo cannot have one even though there is one building right now in Maumee next to the Turnpike.

2. I love the LCD Billboards, it cost $1 million each which there are six of them around our region. There is one a few blocks from me in downtown which I think it is very innovative.

3. There is an event that starts Sept. 2--the Artomatic 419 and will be held every Saturday in the month of September (4), which will showcase artists/musician work and demo with integration of the Adams Street businesses. Here is the link Artomatic 419 to this event--I encourage you to attend along with your family and friends. This will not be the typical art festival like you see in Old West End, Ann Arbor, Crosby Gardens or Bowling Green. This type of an event is to promote arts and music in the midst of urban renewal.

4. I agree--hopefully this will be at the Marina District or even add on to The Docks which would be a good adventure. The Docks has 5-6 restaurants and if they add a cinema next to it--it will be very popular. Shopping will happen if the residential population is higher.

5. I agree

6. I agree

7. Do you know Opal Covey???? LMAO!

8. With the merger of UT and MUO I expect to see a flurries of tech industries boom on the horizon along with the revitalization of downtown.

9. Last year, Toledo was ranked in the top 20 most wired city in the U.S. There are a lot of places around Toledo whether it's bookstore, coffeehouse, library, restaurants, hotels, schools, convention center, etc. are all wireless wired friendly.

10. Film Festival--pitch that idea to the Arts Commission of Greater Toledo ACGT (ACGT) , BGSU and UT. I love that idea and that would be wonderful with the collaboration of those three organization. They've done a great job with the program called Art in TARTA and here is the link: Art in TARTA which integrates poetry writing and graphic arts designs which are displayed on public transit buses.

You've got some great ideas!

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:14 AM   #302
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks for the feedback on them And thanks for info on Artomatic i havent heard anything about it until this post. I will be attending (this time as just a spectator, next year hopefully as a performer). I will definitley be in contact with ACGT regarding a film festival... would be neat if we ended up becoming a hotspot for hollywood/indi films ala Sundance or Tribecca.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM   #303
Bonjourtoledo

Glass Pavilion Project Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM   #304
toledo25

That building is absolutley beautiful. Totally Futuristic, looks like something out of Minority Report, brilliant.
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #305
Bonjourtoledo

Glass Pavilion Update--Grand Opening! Part 2

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #306
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development: Swan Creek Candle

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of the warehouse was sold and the crews were cleaning inside the building. Then a few days later they posted a sign of "To Be Coming Soon...", I was curious of what the actual plans will until I read this morning's article. This will be located right in between the Fifth Third Field and the Erie Street Market, which I'm glad to see another warehouse building being restored and converted. I will post pictures of the building as soon as the rain let up in my area.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #307
Bonjourtoledo

Jeep Job Boom: Supplier Park Debut

The boom continues at the Jeep plant and supplier park right off the I-75/I-280 interchange which is one of a kind in the nation. I am thinking of looking for a new car to replace my 1998 vehicle and the new 2007 Jeep Wrangler is looking pretty good right now. It's time that I break my piggy bank to see how much money I can spend.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #308
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Latest News 9-3-2006

Bass Pro Shops is finally coming to the Toledo region--they will be locating at I-80/90 and I-75 which is about 10 minute drive south of downtown Toledo. I anticipate a lot of commercial and hotel developments to follow once this project is completed. I will post further updates as it becomes available to me.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #309
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Wow, there's a lot going on in Toledo for a town of its size. It's funny this is one of the threads I always thought were stupid... I should have taken a look in here long ago.
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #310
Bonjourtoledo

A Good Night to Celebrate!

I will break the rule about releasing a non-skyscraper/development news. But anyways, while the famous Toledo Mud Hens won International League Championship (Minor AAA) last year, tonight the Mud Hens clinched the Western Division champs by beating Indianapolis Indians 4-0. Back-to-back western division champs give us a much needed boost to the region's moral. I'm so excited the Mud Hens did it and looking forward to the playoffs. I will post more from the local news as they become available to me. GO HENS!!!!!

As the Mud Hens is the #1 farm team (AAA league) for the Detroit Lions--I am waiting to see if the Tigers make it to the playoffs since their golden year of 1984 with Kirk Gibson that gave Detroit the World Series Champ title.
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #311
toledo25

w0000t Go Hens!!!! I was downtown for Citifest on Saturday night to see the fireworks they were AWESOME because halfway through them... the 5/3 Field fireworks started going off. hehe It was a great time, I remember back in the day when they used to have "Party In The Park" and it was wall to wall people down there every friday... that was so much fun.
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #312
Toledo_Programmer

Likes (Received): 0

Go Hens!!!!

Whoops, double post.
Toledo_Programmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #313
Toledo_Programmer

Likes (Received): 0

Go Hens!!!!

Hey all, I'm new to the board and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Steve, I'm 22 years old, and I live in Sylvania with my parents while I finish up my two associate degrees at Owens Community College. I'm engaged with a three year old future step-son, and we're looking at a few houses on the West End. I work at Buckeye Cable System as a computer operator, and hopefully when finished with my degrees, I'll move up to the Tier I Technician position. I've lived in the Toledo area pretty much my whole life and love the area. I've only recently (past 3 years) been hardcore about re-developing the Toledo area and going out and enjoying everything the city and area has to offer. I'm seriously obsessed, it's ridiculous.

Like Toledo25, I like coming up with ways Toledo can improve and developing suggestions. I'd like to eventually start my own business in the downtown area and I'd actually like to see a group developed of young Toledoans with like-minded goals of seeing Toledo improve and meeting just to talk. Go grab some coffee at the Downtown Latte and just talk, throw ideas out, network, whatever. There's something similar that I've been trying to attend, the Community Voices Forum.

Anyways, great work on the reporting Bonjour. I check the forum out daily for anything new. And yes, GO HENS!!! I wasn't able to make it to the game, but I watched it on the internet through minorleaguebaseball.com. Hopefully next year I'll have season tickets.

Maybe I'll go out and take some photos around town and post them here. I have a folder of about 200 photos of downtown, the parks, the museum, the zoo, architecture, concerts, etc.
Toledo_Programmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #314
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
w0000t Go Hens!!!! I was downtown for Citifest on Saturday night to see the fireworks they were AWESOME because halfway through them... the 5/3 Field fireworks started going off. hehe It was a great time, I remember back in the day when they used to have "Party In The Park" and it was wall to wall people down there every friday... that was so much fun.
Hey TOL25, I was at the fireworks as well and boy was it great?!!! The fireworks show off the river started 9:25p.m. while the Mud Hens fireworks started at 9:35p.m. and ended at 9:45 while the river's show ended 9:55p.m.--talk about doubling up the pleasures. It was a great time for my family and friends to view it from our downtown rooftop patio.
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #315
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo_Programmer
Hey all, I'm new to the board and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Steve, I'm 22 years old, and I live in Sylvania with my parents while I finish up my two associate degrees at Owens Community College. I'm engaged with a three year old future step-son, and we're looking at a few houses on the West End. I work at Buckeye Cable System as a computer operator, and hopefully when finished with my degrees, I'll move up to the Tier I Technician position. I've lived in the Toledo area pretty much my whole life and love the area. I've only recently (past 3 years) been hardcore about re-developing the Toledo area and going out and enjoying everything the city and area has to offer. I'm seriously obsessed, it's ridiculous.

Like Toledo25, I like coming up with ways Toledo can improve and developing suggestions. I'd like to eventually start my own business in the downtown area and I'd actually like to see a group developed of young Toledoans with like-minded goals of seeing Toledo improve and meeting just to talk. Go grab some coffee at the Downtown Latte and just talk, throw ideas out, network, whatever. There's something similar that I've been trying to attend, the Community Voices Forum.

Anyways, great work on the reporting Bonjour. I check the forum out daily for anything new. And yes, GO HENS!!! I wasn't able to make it to the game, but I watched it on the internet through minorleaguebaseball.com. Hopefully next year I'll have season tickets.

Maybe I'll go out and take some photos around town and post them here. I have a folder of about 200 photos of downtown, the parks, the museum, the zoo, architecture, concerts, etc.

Hey Steve, welcome to the Toledo region thread! Thanks for the compliments for myself posting development news and other snapshots. I can't wait to see your pictures on this thread and look forward to engage conversations about developments and issues around the region. And like yourself, I am obsessed as well about redevelopments and new developments around our region like Westfield Franklin Park, Westgate, Toledo Hospital, Fallen Timbers, Coking Plant, Bass Pro Shops, Ferry Terminal in the Marina District, Glass Pavilion, Dorr Street Brownstone Homes, TPS school buildings, I-280 Bridge, Keil Farm proposed Metropark, etc, etc.

It's interesting you brought up about meeting at Downtown Latte, they have a group that meets periodically there called the "New Urbanist" or something like that which they talk about what ways to improve in our city. The latest developmental grassroot process they did was to advocate in converting the current two one-way streets of Jefferson and Madison into two-way streets which will take place sometime by end of this year into early next year. Also the city and TARTA will be tearing down the Promenade transit station soon which blocks the view of the river in between Summit and St. Clair streets. The reason is to "open" up the area to provide friendliness atmopshere for pedestrian and have traffic convert from Summit street into the downtown area. This is a huge bonus for new small businesses to open up around the downtown area with friendly traffic pattern and wayfinding. These are all good news and I cannot wait for these small developments to take place.

Once again, welcome Steve!
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #316
Bonjourtoledo

Shops at Fallen Timbers Development 9-12-2006

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #317
toledo25

I was ULTRA excited about Fallen Timbers back when it was an enclosed mall and was talked about being placed near Arrowhead park (right near Levis Commons) back in the day before either project started construction... at anyrate another open air mall is for the birds... too long of winters here and not to mention its like a more elaborate strip mall and the one thing toledo and surrounding areas DONT need are more strip malls... however, it will be cool to see 4 major shopping centers in and around the T-Town area..> Westfield / Southwyck (once that starts) / Fallen timbers / Levis Commons. w00t

I am looking at starting a small business actually downtown... Like with most things in life it's a big risk. I think I will wait until we actually break ground on the new arena before I set up shop, because once that goes in/up t-Town will be off the charts for tourism / events / shopping / living etc... can't wait.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #318
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
I was ULTRA excited about Fallen Timbers back when it was an enclosed mall and was talked about being placed near Arrowhead park (right near Levis Commons) back in the day before either project started construction... at anyrate another open air mall is for the birds... too long of winters here and not to mention its like a more elaborate strip mall and the one thing toledo and surrounding areas DONT need are more strip malls... however, it will be cool to see 4 major shopping centers in and around the T-Town area..> Westfield / Southwyck (once that starts) / Fallen timbers / Levis Commons. w00t

I am looking at starting a small business actually downtown... Like with most things in life it's a big risk. I think I will wait until we actually break ground on the new arena before I set up shop, because once that goes in/up t-Town will be off the charts for tourism / events / shopping / living etc... can't wait.
What kind of small business/shop are you thinking of? I've always thought a coffeehouse with used/new books and a bakery in one that opens from 5:30a.m. to midnight 7 days a week would be a great hangout. Even a Jamba Juice would be great as well, I'd be the first customer there if they open one.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #319
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Latest News 9-14-2006

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #320
Bonjourtoledo

Fly to the Big Apple from Glass City? (Update)

From past post in this thread, there was a rumor a few months ago about establishing a direct flight route from Toledo to NYC. I heard from the local news last night that Toledo-Lucas Port Authority will be making an announcement about a direct flight to NYC will be a reality. This is very good news and I will post further information as soon as it becomes available to me.