daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #321
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Lagrange Neighborhood Redevelopment News

If you are familiar with this thread, I have posted pictures and texts that showcases a Polish neighborhood of Toledo. This neighborhood is located 2 miles north of the downtown area and it's known for it's rich ethnic history, annual festival, and abundance of great architectures. I post an article from the local paper in regards to the redevelopment of their "downtown" in the neighborhood which is nothing but welcoming news. I am all for redevelopment in the old/central part of any urban cities in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #322
Bonjourtoledo

Fly to the Big Apple from Glass City? (Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo
From past post in this thread, there was a rumor a few months ago about establishing a direct flight route from Toledo to NYC. I heard from the local news last night that Toledo-Lucas Port Authority will be making an announcement about a direct flight to NYC will be a reality. This is very good news and I will post further information as soon as it becomes available to me.

"I have been bamboozled, hoodwinked, and lied to..." quoted by Al Gore during the outcome of 2000 General Presidential Election. Apparently the rumor was half-true, we are getting additional direct flights at the airport but not to New York City as indicated by the local media. The Port Authority has announced direct flights from Toledo to St. Petersburg/Clearwater starting this December and vice versa. As much I believe there is a huge demand for a direct flights between NYC and Toledo, I will be patient and hope for the best, however, another connection to the sunny state of Florida is still a good thing.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #323
Bonjourtoledo

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM   #324
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome!! It really does feel like we are on the verge of something amazing happening really soon... It feels like all the pieces are coming together finally and this city will be in the next stratosphere.

As far as what kind of business I want to start... a version 2.0 on the old "internet cafe" concept... focused on art with gormet lunches/healthy foods for the young professional.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #325
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25
Awesome!! It really does feel like we are on the verge of something amazing happening really soon... It feels like all the pieces are coming together finally and this city will be in the next stratosphere.

As far as what kind of business I want to start... a version 2.0 on the old "internet cafe" concept... focused on art with gormet lunches/healthy foods for the young professional.

That would be a great thing to add in the downtown/Warehouse District area. Be sure it's open till midnight and every day because you would get that demand from the young professionals in the area.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:22 PM   #326
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment News Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #327
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development Update News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM   #328
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

c i t y o f the f u t u r e

The more and more I hear about Larry Dillin the more and more this guy sounds like "The man who saved Toledo" or "NorthWest Ohio" for that matter... I have wanted to do a LOT of the things Mr. Dillin is making happen... So that is great news for Toledo because we need more of a COMMUNITY here. Alot of us don't even know our own neighbors because we dont have the sense of Community anymore. I remember back in the day there would be almost weekly Block Parties throughout toledo.

If anyone on here knows the best way (with the least amount of risk possible) for starting a business please message me or email me with tips or advice, I have about 9 ideas that I would love to make a reality.... several big ones...

My main questions are
1. How do I go about getting financing for one or all of these business Ideas?
2. What is the best way to start a business with the least amount of risk to me (Basically i dont want to loose my house if the business fails) ?

Thanks.. i love this site so much it gets me all energized for the future of this great city!

toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #329
vader

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25
The more and more I hear about Larry Dillin the more and more this guy sounds like "The man who saved Toledo" or "NorthWest Ohio" for that matter... I have wanted to do a LOT of the things Mr. Dillin is making happen... So that is great news for Toledo because we need more of a COMMUNITY here. Alot of us don't even know our own neighbors because we dont have the sense of Community anymore. I remember back in the day there would be almost weekly Block Parties throughout toledo.

If anyone on here knows the best way (with the least amount of risk possible) for starting a business please message me or email me with tips or advice, I have about 9 ideas that I would love to make a reality.... several big ones...

My main questions are
1. How do I go about getting financing for one or all of these business Ideas?
2. What is the best way to start a business with the least amount of risk to me (Basically i dont want to loose my house if the business fails) ?

Thanks.. i love this site so much it gets me all energized for the future of this great city!

1. Most people get start-up funds from friends/investors, savings, SBA loans, home equity loans, or credit cards...Likley in that order.

2.You should probably look into seeing if you can get some tax incentives. Im not sure if downtown is councilmen Mike Ashfords or Mike Craigs district but they may be able to give you a direction assuming you present to them a good BUSINESS PLAN thats approved by a bank or some other financial institution. If your looking to reduce your risk you may want to look at buying a franchise like Chick-Fil-a or something an putting it beside 5/3 Field (I say this only because Chick-Fil-a is so popular in Westfield Mall and Toledo lacks any other locations).

As for Dillin Im starting to think he's buying a bit too much. If everything goes according to plan he'll own practically half the city
vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #330
Bonjourtoledo

The downtown area is District #4 with Michael Ashford representing. Here is the link to the webpage of City of Toledo that can give you information about starting up a small business within the city limits or even the downtown district:

Local tax incentives

Loan Programs

Grant Programs
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #331
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #332
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Latest News 9-24-2006

Old September 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #333
Toledo_Programmer

toledo25...I think a coffee house 2.0 would be a great idea. I think several start up businesses could be successful downtown, and if I were in the position to do so I'd jump on the opportunity. I too have been wanting to open shop downtown. We should all meet up sometime down at downtown latte or grab a beer at night or something and talk. I think my enthusiasm for the transformation of downtown would rival yours . I think my family, fiance, and her family are all sick of me touting the downtown area haha. Email me sometime: [email protected]. If Toledo is to transform, it needs us ambitious young people to take charge.

Last edited by Toledo_Programmer; September 28th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.
Toledo_Programmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #334
Toledo_Programmer

Also check out this link on the Toledo Blade: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS16/609240303

There is no doubt that there is increased foot traffic downtown. One thing I think is missing is advertising. Three-quarters of the people in the burbs no nothing of whats going on downtown except when that the Mud Hens have a bad ass ball field. Also, in that article it mentions a UT student who even says that the only thing they promote on campus are campus bars.

Toledo25, email me or AIM me: FurbysAnExorcist. I'd like to hear more about some of your business startup ideas.
Toledo_Programmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:09 AM   #335
bhagavadgita

Thanks for the great work on keeping us up-to-date on Toledo. I'm an avid reader.
bhagavadgita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #336
Bonjourtoledo

One Seagate Tower Latest Development

Old October 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #337
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Development News No. 12

Oh boy while Westgate Shopping Center is undergoing massive redevelopment, some of the existing tenants are bailing out to the nearest vacant space around the Westgate neighborhood. I guess the construction project is taking a toll on the businesses.

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #338
Bonjourtoledo

East Toledo Gateway Project

A new day and a somber moment for the East Toledoans as we remove an ugly, tight bridge which will be replaced by a new biking/hiking trail bridge. It will certainly be wider and open up the view from East Toledo toward the skyline of downtown.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typical editing
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #339
Bonjourtoledo

Ira Apartments Redevelopment

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #340
Bonjourtoledo

Perrysburg/Rossford: Urban Sprawl Developments

From the newsdesk of FOX 36 our local affiliate reported more retail developments in the Perrysburg/Rossford area. Of course there is no proper land use plans or even a planning concept to ensure green space and pedestrian-friendly access in that area. This area will be a repeat of the "other mess" which is on Airport Highway in Holland which is west of Toledo. Good riddance!

More Retailers Plan To Build On US-20

Business is booming along US-20 in Perrysburg Township, as more retailers set their sites on open land. And now at least six big name stores are ready to begin building.

They're already building a Super Wal-Mart on US-20. And Bass Pro is nearing a deal with Rossford in the same area. But now Best Buy and Old Navy have decided to join their ranks in a "growing retail jungle."

A piece of land next to Lowes on US-20 and Thompson Road could be the future site of Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Party America, OfficeMax, Marshals, and Best Buy. Township Administrator, John Hrosco says, this addition would be a huge asset to the area, if it's approved. "It's a great thing for Perrysburg Township and its residence. The shopping will be a little closer."

And this additional shopping will draw even more of a crowd, helping local small businesses like Vicky Larrows shop, Health Yourself. "It's interesting cause I'm so busy now, I'm thinking I may have to hire more people."

Business owners aren't the only one's that are excited. Shoppers say they're looking forward to having more choices closer to home.

But with a Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond and even an Old Navy in Holland just minutes away from Perrysburg Township, it did surprise Hrosco that they're interested in setting up shop here. "Unfortunately it impacts other areas where they've been, but we hope that doesn't happen, we don't do that to allow those things to effect other areas."

This plan still needs to be approved through both Perrysburg and Perrysburg Township's Zoning Committees and then the Township Trustees make the final decision. But if all goes as planned the legal work will be finished by November and ground breaking could start in December. Best Buy hopes to open their doors next September.