daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #361
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Southwyck Mall Latest Development 12-11-2006

- edit

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #362
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee River Crossing/I-280 Bridge Update News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
That bridge is the balls.
As of right now it looks like that the bridge will be completed by Spring of 2007 and from the view from my rooftop townhouse it looks awesome and its really defining the skyline of Toledo. I cannot wait until they light this bridge up at night. I hope to post current pictures of this bridge and its progress soon.
Old December 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #363
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 5

can someone shoot me a number by dollar amount of the total value of projects within the city of Toledo?

please
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #364
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffCity View Post
can someone shoot me a number by dollar amount of the total value of projects within the city of Toledo?

please
Here are the ongoing projects (posted in this thread), their costs, and total amount of investment within the city of Toledo:

1) Southwyck Mall & Reynolds Road corridor--$125m
2) Toledo Hospital expansion--$156m
3) Westgate Shopping Center redevelopment--$30m
4) Westfield Franklin Park Mall's second expansion--$15m
5) General Motors Powertrain expansion--$500m
6) Veteran's Glass City Skyway Bridge (I-280)--$250m
7) Wastewater Treatment Plant new facility--$100m
8) Downtown Arena--$85m
9) St. Vincent's Mercy Medical Heart Center & Cherry Street corridor--$100m
10) Marina District--$250m
11) American Biodiesel Plant--$17m
12) Pilkington land redeveloped for new housings by I-75/Maumee River--$22m
13) U.S. Coking Plant--$800m
14) Water Street Station--$20m
15) New and Rebuilding of Toledo Public School Buildings--$635m
16) Merge of UT and Medical of Ohio campuses new buildings--$130m
17) Triangle Warehouse Building convert to lofts--$15m
18) Berdan Warehouse Building convert to mixed lofts--$15m
19) Toledo Area Regional Paratransit Offices and Facility--$10m

Total investments within the city of Toledo: $3,295 billion

Other projects in the Toledo's suburbs:
20) Shops at Fallen Timbers (Maumee)--$60m
21) Levis Commons's second expansion (Perrysburg)--$50m
22) St. Luke's Hospital Diabetes Center (Maumee)--$15m

Projects completed that were mentioned in this thread:
23) Glass Pavilion--$30m opened August 2006
24) Owens-Illinois World Headquarters--$40m opened in September 2006
25) Jeep Plant and Suppliers Park--$3.3 billion to date as the plant is still expanding

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; December 12th, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #365
Bonjourtoledo

Shops at Fallen Timbers Update 12-19-2006

- edit
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #366
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Coking Plant Project 12-19-2006

- edit
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM   #367
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Development Update

- edit
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #368
Bonjourtoledo

Holiday Inn Water Park Development

From previous posts in this thread, here are the updated pictures (supplied by our local ABC station) of the new Water Park hotel in Maumee which is right at the exit of I-80/90 Ohio Turnpike and U.S. Route 20:

Old December 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #369
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Lofts/Condos Market News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #370
_ttam_

Likes (Received): 3

I thought Ohio's economy was horrible? But from the looks of the Toledo thread there are many hundreds of millions of dollars being invested in dozens of expensive new projects. Is Toledo in the booming part of the state?
_ttam_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #371
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ttam_ View Post
I thought Ohio's economy was horrible? But from the looks of the Toledo thread there are many hundreds of millions of dollars being invested in dozens of expensive new projects. Is Toledo in the booming part of the state?
Ohio's economy is horrible; we are the 3rd highest tax burden state in the country and 2nd highest public college/university tuition costs in the country, the list go on and on. With government corruption of outgoing Governor Bob Taft, Tom Noe, Bob Ney, Betty Montgomery, etc, etc. The state had a one-party rule for number of years which has not been good. However, Toledo has been going through a renaissance period since the mid-1990s and will continue for the next decade because of the manufacturing jobs will be diversified and slimmed down due to globalization as professional and high-tech jobs jobs will grow in the long-run. With all the significant investments and developments going on it will pay off by giving this region a bounce.

We have a new democratic governor starting in Jan. 2007 and the state house is now split with two parties as many of the Republican incumbent swere voted out this past November (no more one-party rule). Although I suspect that we have no where to go but up and the urban areas of Ohio will be given more attention (i.e. public transit, infrastructure, high-tech jobs, brownfield developments, public schools, etc) which will help the economy. For far too long the state has been pouring money and investments into Columbus which leaves all the other urban cities like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Canton, Mansfield, Lima, Youngstown, Akron, and even Toledo with little or no money.

As far as Toledo booming in this part of the state, I would say 50/50 because we are losing the blue collar jobs as it being replaced by professional/high-tech jobs as to why the population of our region in stable. The blue collar families and individuals are moving to states like North Carolina, Georgia, Nevada, and Tennessee to seek employment. It's a matter of time for this region to go through the transition of globalization since majority of the midwest was the dominate maunfacturing region in the world.
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #372
Bonjourtoledo

One Seagate Tower News Update 12-29-2006

There are several posts in this thread in regards to this project and our tallest building in the region, which will soon to be 2nd tallest since the new Glass City Skyway (I-280) Bridge will surpass it as #1. There are several major local businesses (i.e. insurance, finance, engineering) are on the verge of expansion in the next year which will be nice to see them occupy some vacant office spaces around downtown.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #373
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome Updates! Can't wait for all the new developments for 07. Happy New Year!
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #374
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

There is quite a bit of redevolpment on Sylvania and Douglas thats in conjunction with the rebuilding of the junior high Deveaux...

There is a new starbucks going in @ reynolds rd. and airport hwy.

A new McDonalds being built @ Southwyck.

And of course westgate is coming together quite nicely.
I will get some pictures and post them.

Cheers!
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM   #375
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25 View Post
There is quite a bit of redevolpment on Sylvania and Douglas thats in conjunction with the rebuilding of the junior high Deveaux...

There is a new starbucks going in @ reynolds rd. and airport hwy.

A new McDonalds being built @ Southwyck.

And of course westgate is coming together quite nicely.
I will get some pictures and post them.

Cheers!

Are you referring to the Deveaux Shopping Center? If so, I'm anxiously awaiting what they are going to do with the last piece which is the vacant Food Town Plus store because it could be redeveloped for more retail space due to the high-soaring rental cost around the Westfield Franklin Park area.

I noticed the development at the corner of Airport/Reynolds and I'm surprised it's going to be Starbuck's considering the new and improved widened road of Airport Highway from Reynolds to Byrne Road.

The new McDonald's at Southwyck rendering/architectural style will match with the new redeveloped "open-air" mall of Southwyck Mall. I was kind of bummed when they wanted to rebuild it since it was a bank previous but modified it to McD's which was big and nice. Southwyck redevelopment project will begin in a couple of months; however, I think Dillard's will be gone as they go off to Shops at Fallen Timbers unless they plan on having two stores with four miles in between. With the redevelopment of Southwyck and Reynolds Road corridor will improve this area (long overdue IMO) which is badly needed since the area around Westfield Franklin Park is too congested.

As far as for Westgate, I cannot wait for Chipotle Mexican Grill to open up because their wraps are to die for. There will be a Starbuck's as well with a drive-thru. I anticipate Showcase Cinema to reopen and redevelop the vacant theatre on Secor Road since they have not put the building/property up for sale. There will be a definite feel of a urban renewal in this part of Westgate with Costco coming in. I'm sure there will be more new additions to this corridor...let's say Whole Foods Market? *fingers crossed*
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #376
Bonjourtoledo

Woodville Mall Redevelopment Update

Such good news that the developers and city finally have the brains to figure out that there is a need for more access road to the oldest and first ever enclosed mall of the Toledo region. This will provide access to Meijer, Bay Park Hospital, Great Eastern Shopping Center, additional ramp to the I-280 interstate, and the proposed Menards store.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM   #377
Bonjourtoledo

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #378
Bonjourtoledo

Map of the Water Street Station which is a loft/townhouse/apartment project:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
On the move again! You can see previous posts in this thread in regards to this project.

Developer: Steam plant ‘moving forward'
By Justin R. Kalmes
Toledo Free Press Metro Reporter
[email protected]

A local real estate developer wants Toledo's mayor to know he's doing everything he can to move forward on a prominent Downtown project.

David Ball, president of STS Property & Facility Management Inc. and one of the lead developers of the conversion of the vacant Toledo Edison Steam Plant on the Maumee River's west bank into upscale townhouses and apartments, said his project is moving forward despite a letter from Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner stating otherwise.

“The mayor thought the day my tax credits were approved, I would dig a hole in the ground,” Ball said, noting Finkbeiner accused him in the letter of having priorities other than finishing the steam plant development. “He's pushing the wrong guy. I'm one of the guys out there trying to do stuff.”

Ball sent out full bid packages to contractors Oct. 27 after receiving word in early August from the National Park Service that it had approved the project's historical tax credits as submitted.

Ball said contractors must submit their bids by Nov. 17.

“This isn't like I'm not doing anything,” Ball said. “Every detail of this building is designed.

“We're on schedule,” he said. “This is just a big project.”

Ball initially hoped construction on the development, dubbed Water Street Station, would have begun this fall, but said delays pushed the start date to March 1. He said he did not budget to work through winter.

“This delay hasn't helped me,” he said, noting steel and concrete prices have risen significantly since he first projected costs. “There's only so much I can do and I'm doing it.”

Brian Schwartz, Finkbeiner's spokesman, did not return calls seeking comment at press time.

Ball said his past projects should be evidence enough to show he's committed to making Downtown Toledo a better place. His company's recent endeavors include renovations at the Woolworth Building, which houses First Merit Bank and TalentTrack, Fort Industry Square, a building at 601 Monroe St., that houses The Blarney Irish Pub and Grill and soon-to-be offices for Toledo Free Press, and the Ohio Building.

“The demand for Downtown housing has increased,” Jimmy Jackson, a Toledo native and 14-year NBA veteran who is partnering with Ball, said in August. “We feel that because of what has been going on Downtown, we have the best product in the market based on its location.”

Jackson said he believes people associate activity with seeing cranes and other common construction symbols. He said new construction is necessary to continue to breathe new life into Downtown Toledo, but people should be patient because it will eventually come.

“Perception-wise it's tough,” Jackson said of Toledo residents' view of their community. “But if we continue to do things like this, slowly that perception can change.”

Construction on the steam plant development, which will contain 75 units in the existing building and 34 townhouses in a new structure to be constructed on the plant's south side, should take 12 to 14 months, Ball said. He expects tenants to move in sometime in March 2008.

Ball stressed his relationship with Finkbeiner is a good one, despite the mayor's letter.

“The mayor has the right to be pushing all these projects, but we're on ours,” Ball said. “My priority has been about keeping jobs in Toledo and I've done that.”
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM   #379
Bonjourtoledo

Map of Holiday Inn Development Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
From previous posts in this thread, here are the updated pictures (supplied by our local ABC station) of the new Water Park hotel in Maumee which is right at the exit of I-80/90 Ohio Turnpike and U.S. Route 20:

Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #380
Bonjourtoledo

Map of Bass Pro Shops

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:33 PM.