daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #421
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

I am glad to see that Toledo is getting a new arena. That should help the vitality of the downtown and more concerts will go to Toledo instead of skipping the city for Detroit or Cleveland. More businesses may open near the arena too. It will be something for the sports teams and the city residents to be proud of. The current Toledo Sports Arena is awful.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:35 AM   #422
cjr2

Likes (Received): 0

I was just reading on another forum that FedEx has purchased 200 and some odd acres adjacent to the Toledo Express Airport. I drive by there every now and again and I have noticed they have a lot of land cleared over that way. I was wondering if anyone knows what they plan on doing.
cjr2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #423
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Anyone have drawings or plans of the new Glass city marina? I drove by today and saw a sign with what the layout is but i couldn't get a good enough look.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:29 AM   #424
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
I am glad to see that Toledo is getting a new arena. That should help the vitality of the downtown and more concerts will go to Toledo instead of skipping the city for Detroit or Cleveland. More businesses may open near the arena too. It will be something for the sports teams and the city residents to be proud of. The current Toledo Sports Arena is awful.
The city/county has enlisted the minor baseball Mud Hens organization to bring an indoor football, hockey, and other pro sports to the arena in order to have events all year round. I am more interested in the indoor football since I love football and I think it will do well in the Toledo market. The updated, state-of-the-art arena for Toledo is far overdue and I cannot wait till the day the door opens for the first time.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #425
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr2 View Post
I was just reading on another forum that FedEx has purchased 200 and some odd acres adjacent to the Toledo Express Airport. I drive by there every now and again and I have noticed they have a lot of land cleared over that way. I was wondering if anyone knows what they plan on doing.
I have heard this as well from different varies of website forums but nothing's been confirmed. I am very curious of what the opportunities lies within this development project.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #426
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Anyone have drawings or plans of the new Glass city marina? I drove by today and saw a sign with what the layout is but i couldn't get a good enough look.
I saw the renderings last fall when a design group called Poggemeyer (out of BG) introduced this project at a professional gathering. The ferry terminal will be all dark reddish brick to match the exteriors of the Waite High School and the former Acme Power Plant. It is to blend in the surrounding area of the neighborhood. To my understanding, Poggemeyer did not post this project on their websites nor did any of the media outlet. So you will need to back to the site and look at the actual sign to see the project.

However, this past weekend, there was a developer that is very interested in building a hotel and a waterpark for the Marina District; but nothing's committed as of yet.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #427
Mudhen419

Just heard on WTOL that Oregon may be getting a lifestyles center similiar but smaller than the levis commons center in Perrysburg. They said the location of the proposed site is on the south side of Navarre Ave but they wouldnt say where.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #428
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Just heard on WTOL that Oregon may be getting a lifestyles center similiar but smaller than the levis commons center in Perrysburg. They said the location of the proposed site is on the south side of Navarre Ave but they wouldnt say where.
Like we don't have enough of them? LOL! We have Levis Commons, soon-to be Shops at Fallen Timbers, and the overhauled Southwyck and Woodville "open-air" malls. IMO Oregon does not need a lifestyle center because they need a downtown first since it is a very odd town the way it's set up. In Oregon case, I would just focus on fancy streetlighting, landscaping, bricks, sidewalks, pedestrian access, public transit access, underground electrical wires, and ground-level signages along the entire Navarre corridor which would definetly enhance the community's look.
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #429
Mudhen419

I agree with that Bonjour. If Oregon does this it will hurt any chance of woodville mall ever making a come back. I have also heard about national amusments wanting to put a theatre in next to the ball works which would kill off sun dance drive in. Oregon is doing fine how it is we just need to start using what we already have before we start expanding out past pearson park
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #430
Bonjourtoledo

Fifth Third Offices moves into One Seagate

From many previous posts in this thread about the One Seagate redevelopment, Fifth Third Bank is moving a few blocks to be in the signature tower of Toledo. They've announced last night of the move which will consolidate 400+ employees from Sylvania and other downtown location to one site. This is a good thing considering the new arena will be starting the construction very soon.

Current 5/3 Center on Madison/Huron Streets:

Soon-to-be-new-home for 5/3 Center @ One Seagate Tower:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #431
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Developers Announcement

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Old January 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #432
Bonjourtoledo

Port Clinton Waterfront Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Old January 27th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #433
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

IMO Oregon does not need a lifestyle center because they need a downtown first since it is a very odd town the way it's set up. In Oregon case, I would just focus on fancy streetlighting, landscaping, bricks, sidewalks, pedestrian access, public transit access, underground electrical wires, and ground-level signages along the entire Navarre corridor which would definetly enhance the community's look.

Ain't that the truth! Oregon is a poorly planned community. It does desperately need a downtown- at least something as big as Sylvania's (which still sucks comared to Maumee or Perrysburg's). Toledo needs to STOP the damn lifestyle center craze. I'll be surprised if more than one of those ****ers is around in another 20 years (and let's hope it's the one in the city limits- Southwyck)

I'm very happy to see the One Seagate Tower fill up again, but Fifth Third's plan to plaster their ugly name across the top of the tower disgusts me. If there is one skyscraper that was not built for corporate logos, it's One Seagate. The corporate logo will ruin the sleek, all-glass look of the building. It's a completely classless move on Fifth Third's part (then again, they were thinking of needlessly tearing down two historic buildings on Huron, so classy and Fifth Third don't exactly go together).

btw, thanks for posting Port Clinton news. There's a lot of action out there.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #434
vader

Likes (Received): 0

As for the downtown multipurpose complex Im hearing commisioners are pushing for some retail establishments to be place inside so people can walk and shop while events arent happening. Im not sure if placing retail in a sports arena is a new concept or not but it sounds like a good idea.

As for 1 seagate I hope they put some new decorative lighting on it like other cities do with thier tallest buidings. I noticed new pink lighting was installed on one of the towers last year and it did wonders. I know new lights are being reinstalled on the Hi-level bridge too. I wouldnt be surprised if some new lighting will be used to brighten up One Seagate when 5/3 moves in.
vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #435
Pilliod Njaim

I noticed new pink lighting was installed on one of the towers last year and it did wonders.

That was the National City Tower (Toledo's 3rd tallest at 370 feet). The pink lights were originally put up for breast cancer awareness month, and they decided to leave them up since they looked so good. The pink and orange lights on the National City Tower looked awesome at night. The original lighting looked good too- a bright green and light blue. I (and many people) consider it Ohio's best art deco skyscraper, particularly at night.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; January 27th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #436
Bonjourtoledo

I wish the Catholic Diocese would re-install a new steeple on the St. Patrick's Church on Avondale since it was destroyed in a storm during the early 80s. This church is absolutely beautiful and it would be a wonderful addition to the downtown skyline if the steeple would return. However, last year there was a deceased, dedicated church member left millions to the church with a promise to rebuild the steeple to this church specifically. Now is the perfect time since this church is lighted up brightly at night time.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #437
Mudhen419

Got a chance to go to the zoo today. Took advantage of the free admission for Lucas county residents with ID offer they have (Mondays 10-12 stay all day) Havent been there since the section across the trail was added. Prtty impressed even though its winter and not much going on. I like how they have it set up over there. The aquarium badly needs renovation. Hopefully that gets put on the ballot again and passes this time because it really needs some work or addition.

Took a ride down Front and stopped at the MRC observation area.Looks like there going to start putting the lights up the side of the pylon here soon.

Also...... Was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Packos expansion over on Consaul. They aquired a lot of property, demolished atleast a building and were supposed to try and reroute an alley. There's been one of those orange plastic fences along the property they demolished for a while now.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #438
Bonjourtoledo

Fiberglas Tower Update News

I am crossing my fingers on this building and last thing I would want to see is this building to be demolished. It has a lot of potential since the new downtown arena will be built next door. From many other local news outlet, there has been strong interest in purchasing the building and redeveloping recently; so I have a strong feeling this building will be loved again very soon. You can see previous posts in this thread about this building's history, photos, and developmental updates.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #439
Pilliod Njaim

"Whether for service industry, office, whatever, that building will be in demand," Mr. Ferrara said.

Good to hear.

To tell the truth, almost every large city in Ohio has an empty office tower similar in age to the Fiberglass Tower (Cleveland and Dayton certainly do, not sure about Bustown or Nati).

It should be our new state motto, "Ohio: the heart of vacant skyscrapers!"
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #440
Bonjourtoledo

Shops at Fallen Timbers Development 2-4-2007

From previous posts in regards to two seperate projects: Shops at Fallen Timbers and Southwyck Mall. It will be interesting of what the outcome will be and what stores will be aligning themselves at these two locations. Southwyck is a viable location and it's surrounded by a large population; it's too bad the actual owner (from KC area) of the mall is dragging the entire area down because all he is interested is the rent money and using the site as a tax write-off. I think it's time for the city's zoning department to start writing up tickets to death against this mall; and for Dillard's to decide once and for all what the heck they are planning to do so we all can move on. As for Fallen Timbers project, I am not that thrilled for an "open-air" mall which is nothing more than a fancy a la shopping center.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling error