daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #441
LBoogie773

Likes (Received): 0

You Must Really Love it here..... And after all these prospective projects to be completed, Toledo has a 1.7 Million Dollar budget deficit, which could lead to more people leaving Toledo like they already are including myself who left Toledo for our big city neighbors in Illinois.....
LBoogie773 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #442
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoogie773 View Post
You Must Really Love it here..... And after all these prospective projects to be completed, Toledo has a 1.7 Million Dollar budget deficit, which could lead to more people leaving Toledo like they already are including myself who left Toledo for our big city neighbors in Illinois.....
Huh?! What baggage are you bringing yourself into this forum? First of all, I was born and raised in this area and I am proud of it. This is my "real" home. We may not be perfect like other a la' places of America but I have nothing but good things to say about this region. IMO Toledo is truely a renassaince region with all the developments changing the cultural/economic landscape.
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #443
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Yes we have some budget problems right now... and we will until these projects are completed. Gotta spend money to make it. New arena, Docks, etc... will all help to bring in cash. I have TOLEDO PRIDE and moved from outside toledo (perrysburg) to into the heart of west toledo.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #444
Bonjourtoledo

Ira Apartments Building Update News 2-16-2007

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #445
Bonjourtoledo

I-280 Bridge Update News 2-16-2007

Old February 17th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #446
Bonjourtoledo

Skyway Center @ Marina District Development

Skyway Center developers hope for 2007 groundbreaking
By Megan Schmidt
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer

After some initial setbacks, the developing team behind the proposed Skyway Center hopes to break ground sometime this year.
“We've been locked and loaded for three years,” said Michael Drew Shaw, who created the concept for Skyway Center, a $10 million venue for shopping, dining and entertainment to be built in the Marina District development near the Veterans' Glass City Skyway bridge.

Shaw's company, American Retrospects, was hired in 2002 to produce a documentary about the construction of the new bridge when he realized there were no plans to include a welcome center to attract tourists to Toledo.

Since then, Shaw has teamed with three developers before settling on the Dillin Corporation, worked on four potential building designs and considered four different Marina District site locations for Skyway Center.

Despite having many different options, questions remain as to exactly where the site will be and how the building will look.

Shaw said it could be weeks or even months before the site selection is made, which will also determine which building design the developing team uses.

“I personally favor a site behind the Acme plant adjacent to the marina and passenger terminal, mainly because the infrastructure is already in,” Shaw said, referring to one potential site for which a three-story building design has been drawn.

Bob Reichert, a member of the Skyway Center advisory board, prefers another option for the welcome center — a 16-story design Shaw says would be built “closer to the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge.”

“I think the high-rise building would be a lot more striking for the Toledo skyline, even if it's not as practical,” Reichert said.

Uncertainties about when and where Skyway Center will open may cause hesitance among possible tenants, Shaw said, although 30,000 square feet have been reserved for prospective businesses so far.

“It's been difficult to talk to our investors and our tenants in a serious way because the ground keeps coming up from under us,” Shaw said. “But I believe we now have the right people steering the ship to make progress.”

One tenant eager to move in is Bruce Rumpf of Rumpf Development Corporation LLC, who has been searching for a site for a Toledo historical center for more than six years and believes he has found a site for the project in Skyway Center.

“It makes perfect sense for us to put a historical museum here,” Rumpf said. “When tourists come into Toledo, we send them to places like the zoo or the art museum — but those places don't say who we are like a history museum will.”

Shaw also said future visitors of Skyway Center can expect to see businesses such as an upscale restaurant, a jazz café, a virtual golf center and plenty of retail shops.

Instead of including hotel suites in the center as was once proposed, Shaw said the developing team is now concentrating on how to build a corporate and residential condominium complex so the SkyWay Center area becomes “a little community in itself to help support the surrounding businesses.”

“I think it's going to be a very sexy address to have,” Shaw said.

Still, Shaw said there is difficulty in being one of the first to build in the still-developing Marina District, but he remains optimistic because lately his “phone has been ringing” from a variety of business sectors interested in taking part in the welcome center.

“Nobody wants to be the first. Everyone wants to be the first to be the second to build in a newly developing area,” he said. “But I think the SkyWay Center will bring a lot of diversity to the area. If you build it, they will come.”
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #447
Bonjourtoledo

Johnny's Lunch set their eyes on Toledo

Hot-dog chain sets its sights on Toledo
Johnny's Lunch to headquarter its training here

Old February 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #448
Bonjourtoledo

Various Business News of the Region

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #449
nickw311

Here is an article that I saw in the Blade a few days ago about Bartley Lofts:

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS16/702270355

Bartley Lofts developers buy 4 units to remove lien

By TOM TROY
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Developers of Bartley Lofts, one of the most visible of downtown Toledo's loft condominium and apartment projects, have had to buy four units to pay off a construction contractor and get a lien removed.

Joseph Swolsky and Bob Gersten, partners in Bartley Lofts Investors LLC, which converted the seven-story warehouse at 745 Washington St. into a residential building, each bought two units for a total of just under $1 million in January.

Lathrop Co., of Maumee, filed an application for a mechanic's lien with the Lucas County recorder Jan. 19, citing nonpayment of $185,470 for work performed last year.

Steve Klepper, vice president and general manager of Lathrop, said the lien was filed as a business necessity. "This is not adversarial," he said. "This is just to protect ourselves.

"Within a matter of a week or so, we had an agreement and we've been paid a significant portion of it, so much so we've taken it off our books in terms of its being a debt," Mr. Klepper said.

He said Mr. Gersten and Mr. Swolsky bought the four units to provide Bartley Lofts Investors with the cash to pay him and other contractors.

The 52-unit, $10-million Bartley Lofts project overlooks downtown Toledo near Fifth Third Field with balconies, large windows, a rooftop pool, and enclosed parking.

So far, 29 units, including Mr. Gersten's and Mr. Swolsky's, have been recorded as sold by the Lucas County auditor for a total of $6.4 million in sales.

Mr. Swolsky said the project is in good shape financially, but that the real estate market has hurt sales. "We lost 15 sales because people couldn't sell their houses," he said.

In addition to the 29 sold units, another four units are ready to close, leaving 19 units still to be sold. He said an issue with the residents is the need for a second passenger elevator, which is in the works.

Mr. Swolsky's and Mr. Gersten's business, Park West Realty LLC, and Timberstone Group Inc. teamed up for the project.

Mike Denman, vice president of Timberstone Group, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Bartley Lofts Investors bought the building from Willis Day for $1,070,000 in July, 2004.

It was the largest project to that point in the movement to convert offices and warehouses to condominium lofts. Units so far have sold for between $106,000 and $444,000. The building opened in 1913 as a warehouse for the Bartley Co., a grocery wholesale firm.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #450
Bonjourtoledo

Bartley Lofts is a very sweet place to live. I checked out the models and it is gorgeous especially with the view. In previous posts, the Bartley Lofts developers got the "green light" to proceed in redeveloping the Triangle Building which sits on the same block as the Bartley. The Triangle Building will be converted from warehouse to 75-unit market-rate apartments and will begin this spring.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #451
Bonjourtoledo

Praises of the Glass Pavilion

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #452
nickw311

Thanks for all your information on Toledo, bonjurtoledo. I live near the university now but hopefully I will be moving to an apartment in the city soon.
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #453
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Thanks for all your information on Toledo, bonjurtoledo. I live near the university now but hopefully I will be moving to an apartment in the city soon.
You are looking at an apartment junkie for the longest time like myself until a year ago as soon I bought my very first home. Perhaps I can give you some recommendations of which apartments to look at around the city and what amentities you look for.
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #454
nickw311

Well I am a law student at UT so I am on somewhat of a budget. I would like a place that is reasonably quiet, and nice but also somewhat inexpensive to rent. I like the idea of having a place down town within walking distance of the Mud Hens stadium and the various restaurants and bars.

I have a friend who lives in the Hillcrest and it seems nice, what other places are comparable to there?
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #455
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

I just checked out Bartely Lofts myself. They are beautiful lofts to see indeed. I just came from San Diego and it was nice to see it starting to happen here as well. I'm talking downtown living and loft living.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #456
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Well I am a law student at UT so I am on somewhat of a budget. I would like a place that is reasonably quiet, and nice but also somewhat inexpensive to rent. I like the idea of having a place down town within walking distance of the Mud Hens stadium and the various restaurants and bars.

I have a friend who lives in the Hillcrest and it seems nice, what other places are comparable to there?
Hillcrest is a great place and too bad I wasn't able to rent there before because I had a large dog.

Several places to check out with reasonable rent ($250-500) near the downtown/uptown area:

1) Park Lane Luxury Apartments on Jefferson/23rd
2) Riverview Apartments on Summit/Madison
3) Executive Towers on Collingwood/Woodruff
4) Westminster Row on Locust near Summit

Of course Hillcrest fits in the $250-500 range as well.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #457
nickw311

I think I will be looking at those places in the coming months.
What do the demographics of people that live there like? Is it a lot of younger people like young professionals? Are there students? Also what is the occupancey rate? Are most downtown apt. builidings close to full or closer to empty?
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #458
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
I think I will be looking at those places in the coming months.
What do the demographics of people that live there like? Is it a lot of younger people like young professionals? Are there students? Also what is the occupancey rate? Are most downtown apt. builidings close to full or closer to empty?
I think all downtown apartments are close being full but not full nor it is close to being empty. I think younger, professional people are at places like Hillcrest, Riverview and Executive Towers. Park Lane Luxury Apartments are pretty known for UT students. Younger, professionals are more apt to pay more money for rent at places like Museum Place (Collingwood & Monroe), Sunflower Loft Apartments (Ontario & Lafayette), and LaSalle Apartments (Adams & Huron). All the apartments that I have mentioned in this post and the previous are worthy to check out. The ones that I haven't mentioned you should not bother at all if you know what I mean.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #459
nickw311

Bonjourtoledo:
Do you know anything about the apartment building across from Mano's Cafe and Pub St. George?
They look to be relatively new rather than a remodeled warehouse but nonetheless they still look decent.

Sorry I don't know the name of them or address, I just noticed them once when I ate at Mano's Cafe.

Thanks for your help and sorry I haven't done this research myself, I have been very busy with class these last few weeks. Fortunately I get a break next week and I will be able to do a lot of this on my own.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #460
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Bonjourtoledo:
Do you know anything about the apartment building across from Mano's Cafe and Pub St. George?
They look to be relatively new rather than a remodeled warehouse but nonetheless they still look decent.

Sorry I don't know the name of them or address, I just noticed them once when I ate at Mano's Cafe.

Thanks for your help and sorry I haven't done this research myself, I have been very busy with class these last few weeks. Fortunately I get a break next week and I will be able to do a lot of this on my own.
Ohhhh..I forgot that place which is called Cheney Flats (across from Mano's), you could check that out and I think they do rent rates based on your income. Also up a few blocks from Cheney Flats on 14th Street in between Adams and Madison there is an apartments called "Art Square" something. You could check that place out. Both Cheney Flats and Arts Square are fairly new and were built in the early 2000s.