daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #461
nickw311

Likes (Received): 1

I wonder how that would work with me seeing as how I am a full time student and do not have any income.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:00 AM   #462
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I wonder how that would work with me seeing as how I am a full time student and do not have any income.
I'm not sure but it's one of the advantage with the rent complimenting to the income. However, if you are a full-time student I think they may have something to offer but you will have to discuss that with the management of each of the properties. There are considerable high number of UT students living in the downtown/uptown area. This is something I guess you will be doing next week when you go apartment-hunting on your break. Good luck and if anything else, let me know.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM   #463
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Bonjour, which area of town do you live in? Was it you that was talking about moving into the lofts downtown? I can remember somebody mentioning that on here. Not necessarily this thread. But one about Toledo.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM   #464
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
Bonjour, which area of town do you live in? Was it you that was talking about moving into the lofts downtown? I can remember somebody mentioning that on here. Not necessarily this thread. But one about Toledo.
I live in the Warehouse District. I did indicated quite some time ago when looking for a house that looking at the downtown lofts was an option.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM   #465
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
I live in the Warehouse District. I did indicated quite some time ago when looking for a house that looking at the downtown lofts was an option.

That's good. So you'll be able to see first hand the changes that are happening and about to happen. When are they supposed to start on the new arena? Also, where exactly are they building it? I read somewhere that it would be near Superior and Jefferson. Are they tearing something down? I just didn't see the room near that intersection.

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM   #466
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
That's good. So you'll be able to see first hand the changes that are happening and about to happen. When are they supposed to start on the new arena? Also, where exactly are they building it? I read somewhere that it would be near Superior and Jefferson. Are they tearing something down? I just didn't see the room near that intersection.

They will be starting the construction after Labor Day this year and anticipating opening the $82 million arena by Fall of 2009. The restaurants and businesses will be relocating around the downtown area this spring and summer to make way for the arena as well. They will be tearing down the Bijou Theatre, Subway building, The Golden Lily Restaurant, Frogtown Alley, abundance of surface parking lots, and the storefront buildings along Huron Street in between Madison and Jefferson as you can see on the map. You can see many previous posts in this thread in regards to the downtown arena project.

They are going to be at location #1 for sure as they've already have oversight committees on construction and design collaborating since a few months ago. The county has already enlisted the management of Toledo Mud Hens to operate the arena and bring in an arena football team which they will manage as they do with the Mud Hens. The hockey issue is still being determined to whether bring the Storms over or start a new one in a higher league which will also be managed by the Mud Hens management. The county officials wants to have an all-year round events at the arena with overflow into the Seagate Convention Centre.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #467
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

They are going to be at location #1 for sure as they've already have oversight committees on construction and design collaborating since a few months ago. The county has already enlisted the management of Toledo Mud Hens to operate the arena and bring in an arena football team which they will manage as they do with the Mud Hens. The hockey issue is still being determined to whether bring the Storms over or start a new one in a higher league which will also be managed by the Mud Hens management. The county officials wants to have an all-year round events at the arena with overflow into the Seagate Convention Centre.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm glad there is someone like yourself in Toledo that I can turn to on these issues. I just hope you don't mind me asking. I'll learn as I live.

I do, however, have one question regarding the sports scene. What type of support does the Storm get around here? Could you envision them prospering in a higher level league(AHL)? Would the locals support it?

I used to attend San Diego Gulls games with my wife. We would go every Saturday night the team was in town. The games would draw roughly 12,000. But they're no longer a team. It was ownership issues. Plus the team couldn't draw during the week to save themselves. Now that's a big city playing in a smaller league. Granted San Diego isn't exactly a hockey town. But I'm afraid that the support wouldn't be there for Toledo at the next level.

Are my fears realistic? Or I am creating something out of nothing?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM   #468
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

The storm used to get great support.... Especially from the east side....But i think now with the combination of bridge construction projects and with this aging arena people are tired of going to the games.... I have pledged not to go to anymore games at TSA unless I get the tickets for free. We should have built this arena 2 years ago. At first i wanted it on the east side. Now i realize it will do more for downtown than it will on the east side. And screw perrysburg takin OI and the damn Bass Pro i was supposed to get in the marina district only a few mins from my house.

Anyhow....... Whose ready for the Walleye run??? I know i'll be out with the die hards at 6 am the first day the water temp is right....... and only about 4 weeks till im back on South Bass workin the DeRivera Park B dock!!! come out n see us!!!!
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:55 AM   #469
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

What's the Walleye run?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:56 AM   #470
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Any artists renderings of the outside of the arena? Or have they not gotten that far yet?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:05 AM   #471
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

They will be tearing down the Bijou Theatre, Subway building, The Golden Lily Restaurant, Frogtown Alley, abundance of surface parking lots, and the storefront buildings along Huron Street in between Madison and Jefferson as you can see on the map.

This really disturbs me. Bijou is one of the best live music venues in Ohio, period. Losing that will really piss off a lot of young people in the metro.

The storefront buildings on Huron don't need to come down either. There should be enough room between Frogtown Alley and the National City garage to put a 10,000 seat arena without tearing down more than just the Bijou, Subway, and Golden Lily.

I persoally prefer the vacant lot of the former Federal Building along Summit Street (location #3 on the map you posted). It'd require NO TEARDOWNS.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM   #472
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Whats the walleye run? If your not into fishing you wont care... But every year from the begining of march till mid/late april, northwest ohio and mainly the maumee river attracts thousands of anglers from around the country even world to fish the annual walleye run (spawn)... People like myself get in our waders and stand in the freezing cold river and try or luck at catchin big walleye or pickerel as some people call it.... Generates lots of money for the area
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM   #473
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Whats the walleye run? If your not into fishing you wont care... But every year from the begining of march till mid/late april, northwest ohio and mainly the maumee river attracts thousands of anglers from around the country even world to fish the annual walleye run (spawn)... People like myself get in our waders and stand in the freezing cold river and try or luck at catchin big walleye or pickerel as some people call it.... Generates lots of money for the area

Thanks. I definitely would have never known about that. I'm a runner and I was hoping that it was an actual race. Thought maybe it was something that I didn't already know was scheduled. Any Toledo residents on here part of the Toledo Roadrunners?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #474
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
The storm used to get great support.... Especially from the east side....But i think now with the combination of bridge construction projects and with this aging arena people are tired of going to the games.... I have pledged not to go to anymore games at TSA unless I get the tickets for free. We should have built this arena 2 years ago. At first i wanted it on the east side. Now i realize it will do more for downtown than it will on the east side. And screw perrysburg takin OI and the damn Bass Pro i was supposed to get in the marina district only a few mins from my house.

Anyhow....... Whose ready for the Walleye run??? I know i'll be out with the die hards at 6 am the first day the water temp is right....... and only about 4 weeks till im back on South Bass workin the DeRivera Park B dock!!! come out n see us!!!!
I second what Mudhen419 is stating about the Toledo Storm hockey team. They currently average 5000 attendance per game despite of the closure of the MLK Bridge due to construction.

Walleye Run is very, very popular here in this Toledo region. You will see litter of people in the Maumee River fishing all weekend.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM   #475
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Any artists renderings of the outside of the arena? Or have they not gotten that far yet?
No renderings as been revealed as of yet because the design committee are still working with the architecture to come up with the "look". From reliable sources, there will be plenty of glass for this arena to signify the reputation of this region.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #476
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
They will be tearing down the Bijou Theatre, Subway building, The Golden Lily Restaurant, Frogtown Alley, abundance of surface parking lots, and the storefront buildings along Huron Street in between Madison and Jefferson as you can see on the map.

This really disturbs me. Bijou is one of the best live music venues in Ohio, period. Losing that will really piss off a lot of young people in the metro.

The storefront buildings on Huron don't need to come down either. There should be enough room between Frogtown Alley and the National City garage to put a 10,000 seat arena without tearing down more than just the Bijou, Subway, and Golden Lily.

I persoally prefer the vacant lot of the former Federal Building along Summit Street (location #3 on the map you posted). It'd require NO TEARDOWNS.

Pilliod, the retail space will be the portion of the arena similar to the Fifth Third Field concept along with a transit center since they are receiving transit federal dollars to pay the portion of the construction. Subway and Golden Lily will be relocating somewhere in the downtown area; however, I like to see Golden Lily somewhere along Monroe Street in between Erie and 10th Streets and for Subway they should be located in the vacant space along Adams Street in between Erie and Huron. The club scene have moved on to Pearl Club and Coyote Joe on the ground floor of the Commodore Perry. Also a new club will be opening in the spring called Club Liquid (I think that's the new name) in the former Club Emporium on Huron Street. I agree with your preference on #3 location because it will be on the former Federal Building land and Promenade Park and I think it is perfect because the arena could be "all or mostly" glass to have the view of the river and the downtown skyline.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #477
nickw311

I went downtown and looked at the Commodor Perry apts and really like them. While I was there I took this picture since it was a nice sunny day.

I wish I would have taken more but it was cold and windy out.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #478
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I went downtown and looked at the Commodor Perry apts and really like them. While I was there I took this picture since it was a nice sunny day.

I wish I would have taken more but it was cold and windy out.
That's a great picture! I'll be down there in the next couple of months taking plenty of pictures myself.

Old March 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #479
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Pilliod, the retail space will be the portion of the arena similar to the Fifth Third Field concept along with a transit center since they are receiving transit federal dollars to pay the portion of the construction.

So are they tearing down the buildings on Huron or not?

There seems to be enough space between Frogtown Alley and the Port Lawrence Parking Garage to avoid any teardowns except for Bijou, Golden Lily, and Subway. I honestly don't think anything more has to come down.

If it's supposed to be like Fifth Third Field, that would mean the Huron buildings would be saved, correct?

If they do that, that could be quite interesting. My personal preference for the design of the place is to make it look like an old warehouse, not a glass box. A lot of the best arenas of yesteryear didin't look like arenas from the outside. Something like Maple Leafs Garden would be very cool.

I do, however, have one question regarding the sports scene. What type of support does the Storm get around here? Could you envision them prospering in a higher level league(AHL)? Would the locals support it?

When I was young, the Storm was very popular and I think they used to Triple-A before the hockey restructuring. Today, attendence has gone down (still average for Double-A hockey though) for two obvious reasons:

A. MLK Bridge construction
B. the current arena is a total shithole

The Toledo Sports Arena and its surface parking lot are a waste of valuable riverfront real estate. Luckily, that will all be remedied by the Marina District project.

I think with a new arena downtown, Toledo could easily support Triple-A hockey. The market is large enough. Toledo has a DMA of 820,000 people and a consumer market of 1.2 million. On top of that, hockey is very popular in the Toledo area. The whole Northwest Ohio, Southeast Michigan, and Southwest Ontario region is hockey rabid.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; March 4th, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #480
nickw311

I saw something on WTOL tonight about how a building down town is for sale but I didn't catch the whole story. Is there any information available on the internet? I searched the WTOL site and the Toledo Blade but didn't find anything.