daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #481
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Pilliod, the retail space will be the portion of the arena similar to the Fifth Third Field concept along with a transit center since they are receiving transit federal dollars to pay the portion of the construction.

So are they tearing down the buildings on Huron or not?

There seems to be enough space between Frogtown Alley and the Port Lawrence Parking Garage to avoid any teardowns except for Bijou, Golden Lily, and Subway. I honestly don't think anything more has to come down.

If it's supposed to be like Fifth Third Field, that would mean the Huron buildings would be saved, correct?

I believe the current structures of the Huron Street will be torn down; however, they will incorporate the new street-level retail spaces in the arena infrastructure. This is what I know as of now from what I've gathered from the designing side but it could go the other way by saving the Huron structures. Hopefully we will see the final plans within a couple of months if not sooner.

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #482
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I saw something on WTOL tonight about how a building down town is for sale but I didn't catch the whole story. Is there any information available on the internet? I searched the WTOL site and the Toledo Blade but didn't find anything.
Which building downtown? I don't usually watch the news on the weekends and their internet updates are poor on the weekends as well. Let me know what it's about if you get a chance.

I'm assuming the sale of the Fiberglass Tower?
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #483
nickw311

I dont think it was the fiberglass tower but it could have been. I will try to find out more information.

Last edited by nickw311; March 5th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #484
UWMilwaukeeJay

I was watchin' U of Toledo play at my campus (LA Tech). That was random, but midwest teams are so much better than southern teams!
UWMilwaukeeJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #485
nickw311

Toledo won the MAC West this year so their basketball team is doing very well. Hopefully they keep it up.

Their football team this year wasn't so great but hopefully next year will be better. They got a highly recruited incoming freshman that has potential.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #486
nickw311

Does anyone know about the LaSalle Apartments? Are they rent controlled? The building looks nice and the rent prices are affordable but I don't qualify for the subsidized housing.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #487
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMilwaukeeJay View Post
I was watchin' U of Toledo play at my campus (LA Tech). That was random, but midwest teams are so much better than southern teams!
GOOOOOOO ROCKETS! They won the MAC division first time in 23 years--a sweet way to end the long-dry drought.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #488
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Does anyone know about the LaSalle Apartments? Are they rent controlled? The building looks nice and the rent prices are affordable but I don't qualify for the subsidized housing.
LaSalle is market-rate apartments. They have a good reputation and it's a gorgeous place to live. I saw a sign indicating they still have some vacancies as of right now when I went by this morning after getting my coffee.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #489
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

anyonw been by the marina district lately? today i saw some kinda of new power line tower... not sure what it is but i know it wasnt there a few days before.... And since u guys are talkin Rocket basketball...... When is the renovation on savage hall supposed to start?
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #490
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
anyonw been by the marina district lately? today i saw some kinda of new power line tower... not sure what it is but i know it wasnt there a few days before.... And since u guys are talkin Rocket basketball...... When is the renovation on savage hall supposed to start?
I was over there last weekend, the new power line is to replace the monstrous, rusty, ugly power lines that runs in the middle of the Marina District from Oregon over the river to downtown. With this new line, it will be running along side of Front Street and other lines will be underground to achieve the "ambience" of the new development.

Here is the link to the story about the Savage Hall redevelopment and a virtual fly-through video on the "new-look, expanded" Savage Hall: http://utrockets.cstv.com/genrel/071706aaa.html

I believe they are going through the bidding process of who will be doing the construction. As far as the day they begin construction, I'm assuming anytime during the non-basketball season.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #491
Bonjourtoledo

Arts Community in Toledo

Cool story and very interesting concept in ways to "infill" the urban life of a typical midwestern city. There is a very strong arts community here in Toledo which has been displayed in previous posts of this thread.

Collingwood Arts Center:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #492
Bonjourtoledo

Central Catholic HS Campus Expansion Plans

I'm all for an expansion of any type of icon within the community if it focuses on redevelopment or enhancement for the long-term. Central Catholic High School sits on the north side of the St. Vincent Mercy Medical Campus along Cherry Street and it's a beautiful school. I look forward in the expansion to help improve the surrounding neighborhoods and businesses.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #493
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

^the parking lots are certainly a bad thing.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #494
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
^the parking lots are certainly a bad thing.
If they are expanding the school building, expanding the football stadim and adding on more athlectic fields--you would assume they are going to need to expand parking lot to accomodate. The proposed parking lot will be next to the brand new Heart Unit of St. V's Mercy Hospital where they will be tearing down 4-5 old houses and a vacant Rite Aid store since it moved up the street few years back.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #495
Bonjourtoledo

Alternative Energy Development News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #496
cjr2

Likes (Received): 0

Wyndham to get a face lift----new name

Wyndham Hotel is getting a face-lift
WTVG_ March 11, 2007 - The Wyndham Hotel in downtown Toledo is about to go under an extensive face-lift.

The Wyndham Hotel in downtown Toledo is about to undergo an extensive face-lift. As of last Tuesday, they are calling themselves Toledo Riverfront Hotel, but that will eventually change too.
A Los Angeles based developer named Andy Kim bought the property and will fund a year long renovation of the former Wyndham Hotel and by December, his management company hopes to officially become a Crowne Plaza Hotel. Crowne Plaza is a high end franchise owned by the Intercontinental Hotel Group and has locations world wide.

Changes at the hotel include renovating all the rooms, adding flat screen televisions, building coffee kiosks and redoing the hotel lobby. In addition, the hotel will feature a 19 thousand square foot meeting and banquet room, an 11 thousand square foot ballroom, and a brand new restaurant and lounge area. The renovation is also expected to give a boost to some local businesses. Right now, the hotel's management company says the plan is to increase the number of staff at the hotel and to add anywhere from 20 to 40 new jobs.

cjr2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #497
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr2 View Post
Wyndham Hotel is getting a face-lift
WTVG_ March 11, 2007 - The Wyndham Hotel in downtown Toledo is about to go under an extensive face-lift.

The Wyndham Hotel in downtown Toledo is about to undergo an extensive face-lift. As of last Tuesday, they are calling themselves Toledo Riverfront Hotel, but that will eventually change too.
A Los Angeles based developer named Andy Kim bought the property and will fund a year long renovation of the former Wyndham Hotel and by December, his management company hopes to officially become a Crowne Plaza Hotel. Crowne Plaza is a high end franchise owned by the Intercontinental Hotel Group and has locations world wide.

Changes at the hotel include renovating all the rooms, adding flat screen televisions, building coffee kiosks and redoing the hotel lobby. In addition, the hotel will feature a 19 thousand square foot meeting and banquet room, an 11 thousand square foot ballroom, and a brand new restaurant and lounge area. The renovation is also expected to give a boost to some local businesses. Right now, the hotel's management company says the plan is to increase the number of staff at the hotel and to add anywhere from 20 to 40 new jobs.

Here is the The Blade's version of the story in regards to the Wyndham Hotel redevelopment project:

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #498
Bonjourtoledo

Shops at Fallen Timbers Update 3-15-2007

As the Shops at Fallen Timbers moves on......more retails sign on to make its debut this fall. If you ask me, I could care less for an "open-air" mall because I do not want to shop in rain or snow, but again, it's just me.

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #499
nickw311

The only thing that interests me with Fallen Timbers is if there will be an Apple Store there. Apple has a store in the new Open Air mall in Columbus, and it would be nice if we could get an official Apple Store here in Toledo.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #500
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
The only thing that interests me with Fallen Timbers is if there will be an Apple Store there. Apple has a store in the new Open Air mall in Columbus, and it would be nice if we could get an official Apple Store here in Toledo.
An official Apple Store would be great but I am surprised they didn't open one up at the Westfield Franklin Park Mall since that's where the money is.