daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #501
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Water Street Steam Plant Update 3-15-2007

There are two articles with pictures (one from The Blade and the second from ABC-TV 13, the first one indicating the letter from the city and the other was the after-math which spells out the current progression on the Steam Plant project. You can see previous posts in this thread in regards to this project. As I said before, politicians, media, and citizens needs to be PATIENT because planning and development takes take time and money. They all have to remember things do not build and rebuild over night with all sorts of zoning rules, permits, grants processing, public meetings, approvals, etc, etc. to consider. David Ball and Jimmy Jackson are good guys which they have redeveloped and developed other projects around the city. The Steam Plant project is by far the biggest for them as of today and I give them credit to invest in the city.

Proposed:

Current:

Steam plant project moving forward
WTVG ABC local affiliate (credit to www.13abc.com)

Developers of the steam plant project along the Maumee downtown say they are on track. There is not much change on the outside of the steam plant just yet, but developers say plenty of work is being done and they add it is important to remember that you only have one grand opening. They want to make sure this project is done right even if it takes longer than expected and costs more money.
Mayor Carty Finkbeiner fired off a letter to steam plant developers Dave Ball and Jimmy Jackson last week telling them they were behind schedule on the much anticipated multi-million dollar downtown housing project and that he expects progress.

Mayor Finkbeiner's spokesman Brian Schwartz says, "The purpose of the letter is to put them on notice that we expect to see some work getting done."

Ball and Jackson were surprised to get the letter without so much as a phone call from the Mayor.

Dave Ball says, "When I got the letter I was offended and shocked. We are doing everything we can do to make this happen."

Jim Jackson says, "When there's talk of nothing being done, it's disappointing what being done internally to the property."

The project is moving forward slower than expected but Jackson and Ball say that is due in part to higher than expected construction costs and they have to wait until July to apply for a state tax credit to help cover those costs.

Here is a timetable for the project: construction on the new flats and townhouses should get underway this fall and be finished in late 2008 or early 2009. There will be more than 70 units in the old part of the building and 32 new townhouses.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #502
nickw311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
An official Apple Store would be great but I am surprised they didn't open one up at the Westfield Franklin Park Mall since that's where the money is.
I keep my eyes open on http://www.ifoapplestore.com/ and I have never seen any mention of an Apple store in Toledo. It is kind of surprising since the closest one is Detroit (Novi, MI) in a mall that is comparable to Franklin Park.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #503
nickw311

The Steam Plant looks like it will be incredible when it is done, I didn't know anything about it.

How much would the apartments cost in it once it is finished?
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #504
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
The Steam Plant looks like it will be incredible when it is done, I didn't know anything about it.

How much would the apartments cost in it once it is finished?
Here is the direct link to the Water Street Plant; from what I've understand these apartments and condos will be market rate especially if it's by the river:
http://www.waterstreettoledo.com/
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #505
nickw311

Wind power plan for lake gains speed; efforts totaling over $1M seek to win new industry

More than $1 million could be spent in the coming months pursuing offshore wind power in Lake Erie, even though the region just lost out on a bid to have East Toledo host the nation’s first testing laboratory for offshore wind turbine blades.

A $250,000 wildlife study, funded by a grant the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority obtained from U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D., Toledo), recently began along the western Lake Erie shoreline.

The goal of that study is to get the region’s clean energy and wildlife proponents on the same page over the risks posed to birds and bats.

The next phase would involve putting two or three wind turbines along the western Lake Erie shoreline as early as the summer of 2008 to see just how lethal the devices might be.

Sites have not been selected, but they likely would be between Toledo and Lorain, Ohio.

The turbines themselves would cost several more million dollars, said Steve Watts, wind programs manager for Green Energy Ohio, a nonprofit group coordinating the study.

Called the Northwest Ohio Coastal Wind Initiative, the study looms big for a region looking toward renewable energy for jobs.

Western Lake Erie potentially is the Great Lakes region’s cheapest place to develop offshore wind power because of its shallow water and access to transmission lines.

But it also has two of North America’s largest migratory bird flyways.

Thinking even bigger are some Cleveland-area officials who claim they are on their way toward securing $800,000 for a feasibility report with a dual mission:

wExamining the viability of spending up to $50 million to install two to eight offshore wind turbines in Lake Erie north of Cleveland.

wConsidering a proposal to spend up to $10 million for a new research facility in Cleveland to be called the Lake Erie Wind Energy Center.

The University of Toledo would be part of that center, a facility that would “attract research talent for what will be a global offshore wind project in northern Ohio,” said Richard Stuebi, the Cleveland Foundation’s BP fellow for energy and environmental advancement.

“Five to 15 years from now, [offshore wind power] will be a huge industry,” he told 170 people yesterday at a clean energy workshop in Maumee. “Northern Ohio to offshore wind could be what Houston is to oil and gas.”

The foundation has been working with Cuyahoga County commissioners and Cleveland-area officials to secure funds, he said.

“We think the Great Lakes is a great place to do offshore wind, better than the oceans,” Mr. Stuebi said.

Offshore wind turbines typically are twice as large as their land-based counterparts and produce four times as much power.

Several exist in Europe. The United States has none, although Massachusetts and Texas — the two finalists for the lab East Toledo was trying to get — now have permit applications under way.

Mark Shieldcastle, an Ohio Department of Natural Resources biologist who runs many of the state’s migratory bird programs from the Crane Creek Wildlife Research Station in Ottawa County, said he can’t imagine wind turbines going up along the western Lake Erie shoreline in the summer of 2008 — let alone the prospect of offshore wind power any time soon.

He said the state DNR is seeking a study that costs in excess of $2 million and lasts at least three years. The Toledo-to-Lorain region should not be studied for less than $750,000 a year, he said.

“Migration is variable. You can’t go one year and say this is the way it is,” Mr. Shieldcastle said. “If you’ve got $250,000, you’re not going to be doing any studying.”

He said he has not seen any wind power studies to date that have adequately addressed the wildlife issue.

Megan Seymour, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist who sits with Mr. Shieldcastle on the state’s wind-power advisory panel, said turbines should not be installed within three miles of the shoreline without extensive avian research.

Yet there was loads of enthusiasm yesterday over the potential of having Cleveland install the Great Lakes region’s first offshore wind turbines.

“This is cutting edge,” Bill Spratley, Green Energy Ohio executive director, said at the Maumee event.

Miss Kaptur, who was in Washington, said during a telephone interview that northwest Ohio’s wildlife issue will be researched adequately by the port authority study.

The region is “absolutely headed into the wind,” she said.

“We have a massive industry to give birth to here,” she said. “God gave us the resource. We just have to capture it.”

The Toledo Zoo is one of several new sites under negotiation for installation of tower gauges to help measure the region’s wind velocity, Mr. Watts said.

The upcoming research is in addition to a $1 million grant Miss Kaptur secured last year for the wind-wildlife issue to be studied at Bowling Green State University’s Firelands campus in Huron, Ohio, via the construction of one or two wind turbines.

Jim Smith, the campus dean, told yesterday’s forum he is eager for electricity to be generated.

“When I’m not buying electricity from FirstEnergy Corp., I’m lowering tuition costs,” he quipped. “When I’m lowering tuition costs, Governor [Ted] Strickland thinks I’m a good guy. So do the students on campus.”
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #506
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
The only thing that interests me with Fallen Timbers is if there will be an Apple Store there. Apple has a store in the new Open Air mall in Columbus, and it would be nice if we could get an official Apple Store here in Toledo.
There's no Trader Joe's in Toledo either, is that right?
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #507
nickw311

Yeah you are right, and I really wish there was one.

Just 2 weeks ago I went to Detroit to visit their Trader Joe's.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #508
ddp

Fallen Timbers new web site up

Quote:
Yeah you are right, and I really wish there was one.

Just 2 weeks ago I went to Detroit to visit their Trader Joe's.
Jsut a heads-up -- the Fallen Timbers web site is now up. It's thin on content, but at least it's an indication of progress.

http://www.theshopsatfallentimbers.com/

General Growth Partners' site has a few new renderings up (at least from what I've seen) as well, along with a revised bit of sales copy.

http://www.ggp.com/properties/ndFallen_timbers.htm

I'm not sure why GGP is being so coy with the remaining retailers. I know they were preliminarily announced many months ago (Gap, etc.) but they aren't confirming them. With 192 days left to opening, any new additions would be coming to the building party very late in the game.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's my list of currently-missing and desired stores/eateries for our area (in no particular order). I hope that some of these places are in Fallen Timbers' plans, now, or in the future:

- Apple Store
- Anthropologie
- Whole Foods
- Trader Joes
- Patagonia (it gets COLD around here!)
- Crate and Barrell
- Cafe Express (www.cafe-express.com -- if you're ever in Houston, TX, seek it out)
- La Madaline (www.lamadaline.com.com -- if you're ever in Houston, TX or Old Towne, VA, seek it out)
- Design Within Reach
- Urban Outfitters
- The Cheesecake Factory (food)
- Maggiano's Little Italy (food)
- Macaroni Grill (food)
- Restoration Hardware
- Rockfish Seafood Grill (food)
- William Sonoma Home
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #509
Bonjourtoledo

I like to see the Apple Store, Whole Foods Market, Crate & Barrell, Cheesecake Factory and Urban Outfitters in our region.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #510
Bonjourtoledo

A few years back, Macaroni Grill were to open up in the Franklin Park area but was unsuccessful due to lack of available land. Some of the new restaurants and others beat them to it perhaps they are still waiting for the opportunity. I know that Lone Star restaurant closed up on Monroe Street next to the vacant Pizza Hut--that would be a potential for them.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #511
nickw311

Marina District plans move forward

A proposed $320M mixed-use development agreement between The City of Toledo and Dillin Corp will go before Toledo city council in April. In the proposed agreement, Dillin Corp will provide the leadership, private funding and management of the Marina District Development. The city's role is to capture public funding from the state and federal government as well as create a TIF district and support the project going forward.

"The difference between this agreement and agreements the city has had in the past is that the developer isn't saying, 'give us the land, give us some money and wait and see what happens.' In this agreement, Dillin Corp has to bring private investment and the riverfront park to the table before the city turns over the land or any public dollars," explained Mayor Carty Finkbeiner.

After Dillin solidifies private funds of $50 million for vertical buildings and $15 million to fund the balance of the Riverfront Park area, the city will deed the land to Dillin Corp and invest $10 million in the Riverfront Drive and Park area.

"This is always the role we wanted Larry to play in the development of the Marina District," said Don Monroe with the City of Toledo. "Dan Steingraber and I originally called Larry to recruit him back to the project  that's when the City gave him a consulting agreement, but this way is better for everyone." "Better for the City, better for Dillin and better for Toledo as a place to live," Steingraber agreed.

Dillin is currently in negotiations with users on several parts of the site both commercial and residential. "When the Waterfront Park is delivered, there are several other interested developers for other areas of the land," stated Sarah Penner, project manager of the Marina District for Dillin Corp. "The backbone of this agreement is the Riverfront Park." The Riverfront Park would typically be funded as a "Public Works" project. In this case, the City, State and Dillin will all participate in the expenses.

The City, the citizens of Toledo and Dillin Corp benefit from the agreement. The most obvious are that the City gets a first class development, predominantly privately funded, with little risk for the City and the City will be able to collect taxes on the property. On the other hand, Dillin Corp has the opportunity to create a third regional attraction in northwest Ohio, keep local control of the property and the development, and possibly be the "tipping point" for the way people think about Toledo.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #512
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

I'm really looking forward to the Jim Jackson projects in Toledo. The guy's a stud and his lounge downtown really kicks ass.

I'm torn on the Larry Dillin thing. I'm not a fan of Levis Commons (too many surface lots), and I hope the Marina District is not another suburban development masquerading as an urban development. I was really hoping Tom Chema would work on this project. That man understands truely urban development better than anyone in the state of Ohio.

Either way, private funding is a must given the financial situation in Toledo and the upcoming arena downtown. I personally am not too worried about competition out in Perrysburg or Maumee/Monclova. If done right, The Marina District will offer quite a unique (better) experience in the Toledo market. On top of that, Toledo's consumer market is roughly 1.2 million people, and Levis Commons/Fallen Timbers are a safe distance from the Marina District. Does anyone have recent renderings?

The Southwyck project is where Dillin will really have his work cut of for him, given the fact there will be two other lifestyle centers/shopping townes only a couple miles away...

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; March 28th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #513
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Fallen Timbers shops

I don't understand why they wouldn't announce more tenants for the Shops at Fallen Timbers either. On one of the television station web sites a while back they had a big list of the tenants, but who knows if they were correct. Plus, I can't remember which station it was. So far I am not too excited about stores, but Barnes and Noble should be nice. I don't see why another National Amusements theater is necessary though.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #514
Pilliod Njaim

^I think National Amusements nearly has a monopoly on the Toledo market. Toledo is one of the most expensive cities to see a first-run movie. I now go to the Maumee Indoor to see flicks. There may only be two theaters, but the sound system is top-notch and I like the old-school experience.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #515
Pilliod Njaim

More Toledo news:

For those interested, I have an inside source saying that Andersons is looking at building a store in Bowling Green. Andersons has been expanding the last couple of years and posted record profit in 2006. I think a store in Bowling Green would be a great addition. Andersons has outstanding beer and wine selections (best in Ohio), great meat/deli, and lots of other products unique to their "general stores". I would assume that Bowling Green is large enough for a store and it shouldn't compete with the Maumee location which is good distance away (over a 20 minute drive).

As far as future expansions? Who knows, but I would expect a general store in Southeast Michigan (maybe Bedford or Monroe) and a smaller store in downtown Toledo if the population continues to increase.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #516
nickw311

Pilliod, do you know anything about the Lima Anderson's? I am originally from Lima and I know that over the last few years there has been speculation about the store because the mall it is in is not doing well.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #517
Bonjourtoledo

Promedica Development News 3-29-2007

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #518
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development News 3-28-2007

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #519
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
I don't understand why they wouldn't announce more tenants for the Shops at Fallen Timbers either. On one of the television station web sites a while back they had a big list of the tenants, but who knows if they were correct. Plus, I can't remember which station it was. So far I am not too excited about stores, but Barnes and Noble should be nice. I don't see why another National Amusements theater is necessary though.
It was NBC 24 and I posted it awhile back in this thread which I believe it was last fall. Shops at Fallen Timbers will be more geared toward middle-class customers compared to Levis Commons which focuses on up-scale consumers. Barnes & Noble is much needed in the southern part of the region and I love P.F. Chang China Bistro which I cannot wait for it to open.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #520
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
More Toledo news:

For those interested, I have an inside source saying that Andersons is looking at building a store in Bowling Green. Andersons has been expanding the last couple of years and posted record profit in 2006. I think a store in Bowling Green would be a great addition. Andersons has outstanding beer and wine selections (best in Ohio), great meat/deli, and lots of other products unique to their "general stores". I would assume that Bowling Green is large enough for a store and it shouldn't compete with the Maumee location which is good distance away (over a 20 minute drive).

As far as future expansions? Who knows, but I would expect a general store in Southeast Michigan (maybe Bedford or Monroe) and a smaller store in downtown Toledo if the population continues to increase.
Andersons would do well if they build one in Fremont, Tiffin, Findlay, Defiance and even Bowling Green. Their reputation and quality exceed's the expectations of the NW Ohio consumers. I'd love to see a smaller Andersons in downtown Toledo and they should open one in North Toledo to replace the vacant North Towne Square Mall--they have enough population to support it from Michigan and North Toledo area. There is a new Andersons Market building right now on Sylvania Avenue and King Road in Sylvania Township which will be a Whole Foods Market-like store. There are several posts about it in this thread with information and pictures.