daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #521
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Pilliod, do you know anything about the Lima Anderson's? I am originally from Lima and I know that over the last few years there has been speculation about the store because the mall it is in is not doing well.
The American Mall has always not done well in Lima but what's keeping it open is the Andersons. Back in the 90s and even today, they've only managed to open a cinema but no renovations to the mall. As long as the Andersons is there, the dumpy mall will chug on as usual.

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #522
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
I don't understand why they wouldn't announce more tenants for the Shops at Fallen Timbers either. On one of the television station web sites a while back they had a big list of the tenants, but who knows if they were correct. Plus, I can't remember which station it was. So far I am not too excited about stores, but Barnes and Noble should be nice. I don't see why another National Amusements theater is necessary though.
IMO that the Fallen Timbers will cater to the growing population of Springfield and Monclova Townships along with Waterville, Whitehouse, Wauseon, Napoleon, Maumee, Perrysburg, Swanton, and Bowling Green; because they cater to the middle-class consumers. Hopefully it will alleviate the year-round congestion and thrust of people at Westfield Franklin Park. However, Fallen Timbers' competition are Levis Commons and Spring Meadows because of the location and size; Southwyck is remain to be seen as much as I prefer they be an enclosed mall not open-air because the mall is so mis-managed as they have one advantage that Fallen Timbers, Levis Commons and Spring Meadows does not have which is POPULATION. Last but not least, Westfield Franklin Park Mall is so big they are in a league of their own and it is the death star of the Toledo region retail scene.

Fallen Timbers mall construction underway
March 28, 2007 credit to ABC TV 13 website

A new mall will be open by the end of the year in Maumee and there is new information tonight about what you can expect. We now know more about the stores that will be setting up shop in Maumee, in fact, two new retailers signed on today and construction is right on track for the October grand opening.

The list of stores ready to do business here at the shops at Fallen Timbers is growing. Today, two more retailers were added to the list, Hallmark and Claire's.

Maumee City Administrator John Jezak says, "Now whether or not it is 100 percent leased at the time of opening is a question. They are on the way and they have the major tenants. Now they are just filling in specialty retailers and restaurants."

The multi-million dollar development will create hundreds of jobs and pour money into both Maumee and Lucas County's coffers.

Many have wondered if the new mall is too close to Levis Commons and Southwyck for all three to be successful. Maumee leaders believe competition is a good thing.

General growth is the developer of the project and Maumee leaders say the Chicago based company spent years researching this project to guarantee it's success.

The two anchor stores at Fallen Timbers will be JC Penney and Dillard's.

Some of the other stores and restaurants include:
Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks
Charlotte Russe
Children's Place
The Gap
Lane Bryant
Lids
Limited Too
PF Chang's
Select Comfort
Showcase Cinema
Victoria's Secret
Wet Seal

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; March 29th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #523
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Development News 3-29-2007

This short news bit has been confirmed this morning in the Toledo Free Press as the redevelopment of Westgate continues. This certifies the progress of the redevelopement project as Costco comes to Toledo.

Costco pays $5.5 million for Westgate property
By Justin R. Kalmes
Toledo Free Press Metro Editor
[email protected]

The west Toledo property where discount wholesaler Costco is building a store has officially changed hands, according to Lucas County's online real estate information system.

Costco Wholesale Corp. purchased 13.4 acres of land from the Westgate Village Shopping Center for $5.5 million, a representative of the Lucas County Recorder Jeanine Perry confirmed March 28. The property transfer was notarized March 21.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #524
Bonjourtoledo

Mud Hens/Storms News 3-29-2007

Mud Hens negotiating to purchase Toledo Storm
By Justin R. Kalmes
[email protected]

The Toledo Mud Hens organization is in negotiations to purchase the Toledo Storm hockey franchise, members of the Storm's front office have confirmed.

Toledo Storm Vice President and General Manager Pat Pylypuik said the Mud Hens organization has offered to purchase the ECHL franchise from current owner Tim Gladieux. He said this would be the last season the Storm would play in the Toledo Sports Arena.

“[The Mud Hens] are probably not going to operate the hockey team for the next couple of years,” Pylypuik said.

The Mud Hens would own the rights to the ECHL's membership for the Toledo market, Pylypuik said. But as part of the deal, he said, the organization would drop the Storm name and rename the team when it begins play in the new proposed Downtown sports arena.

“From my understanding, they don't want anything to do with the past history of hockey in Toledo,” Pylypuik said. “They want to do it their way.”

Team president Barry Soskin confirmed Pylypuik's statements, but said he's unsure this would be the Storm franchise's final season after 16 years of existence.

“There's nothing signed,” Soskin said. “I just know Gladieux is negotiating with [the Mud Hens organization].”
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #525
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Project Development 3-29-2007

City offers to delay Arena demolition
By Justin R. Kalmes
[email protected]

The City of Toledo will delay demolition of the Toledo Sports Arena if it means another season of professional hockey without interruption.
According to a March 22 news release, the city “remains open to any discussion that will assist retaining Toledo Storm hockey in our community.” The statement followed news first reported by Toledo Free Press March 21 that the Toledo Mud Hens organization was negotiating to purchase the ECHL Toledo Storm franchise.

The city news release said the Storm's ownership was considering the city's offer to delay razing the Toledo Sports Arena in exchange for another season of Storm hockey, but no final decisions have been made.

Members of the Toledo Storm's front office confirmed March 21 the Triple-A baseball organization is negotiating with owner Tim Gladieux to purchase the minor league hockey franchise. Team president Barry Soskin and vice president and general manager Pat Pylypuik gave conflicting statements as to whether there would be professional hockey in Toledo next season.

“[The Mud Hens] are probably not going to operate the hockey team for the next couple of years,” Pylypuik said.

Soskin, who founded the Storm in 1990, said he's unsure if this would be the team's last season in the Toledo Sports Arena.

“I hope not,” he said.

Joe Napoli, vice president and general manager of the Mud Hens, was unavailable for comment March 22. In a statement issued through his executive assistant, Tracy Evans, Napoli said the Mud Hens organization is actively seeking a hockey franchise, but would not address specific negotiations. More news on the matter should come in two to four weeks, Evans said.

Gladieux did not return calls seeking comment at press time. A representative of the ECHL declined to comment on the possible sale.

As part of the deal, the Mud Hens would own the rights to the ECHL's membership for the Toledo market, Pylypuik said. But, he said, the organization would drop the Storm name and rename the team when it begins play in the new proposed Downtown sports arena.

“From my understanding, they don't want anything to do with the past history of hockey in Toledo,” Pylypuik said. “They want to do it their way.”

Soskin confirmed Pylypuik's statements, but said he's unsure this would be the Storm franchise's final season after 16 years of existence.

“There's nothing signed,” Soskin said. “I just know Gladieux is negotiating with [the Mud Hens organization].”

Soskin has an option to purchase the club from Gladieux as part of a management agreement he signed in September 2005. As part of that deal, Soskin said he was to begin making payments at the start of the fourth season of the agreement with all payments made by the end of the fifth season. The Storm is nearing the end of the second full season under the arrangement.

Soskin won't attempt to exercise his option because he wouldn't have a building to house the team when the Downtown arena opens in fall 2009 as planned. He said Lucas County leaders have made it clear they want the Mud Hens organization to run any team that plays in the new facility.

“I understand their model works,” Soskin said of the Mud Hens. “I just don't see why it can't work with me in the new building.”

Lucas County Administrator Michael Beazley said it is up to the city when the Toledo Sports Arena is demolished to make way for its Marina District waterfront development project. He did confirm the county does want the Mud Hens organization to operate teams at the new arena as the project moves forward.

Beazley said the Mud Hens have created a positive fan experience in Downtown Toledo with Fifth Third Field. He said he hopes that synergy would carry over to the new arena.

“There's not going to be any positive fan experiences in that place,” Beazley said of the Toledo Sports Arena.

Pylypuik said he suspects Gladieux will sell the team at a low price in exchange for a contract that would make his catering company the concessions vendor at the new arena. He did not mention a specific dollar amount, only saying, “It's probably nothing.”

Because Soskin returned the team close to profitability, Pylypuik said he feels Lucas County politicians are driving Soskin out of Toledo.

“They have never contacted Barry Soskin once,” Pylypuik said.

Pylypuik said he and Soskin may work to start up another hockey team in Toledo that would compete at a different level than the team that will play at the new sports arena.

“If you think we're going to roll over and die, we're not,” he said.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #526
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Fallen Timbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
It was NBC 24 and I posted it awhile back in this thread which I believe it was last fall. Shops at Fallen Timbers will be more geared toward middle-class customers compared to Levis Commons which focuses on up-scale consumers. Barnes & Noble is much needed in the southern part of the region and I love P.F. Chang China Bistro which I cannot wait for it to open.
Thanks. I'll look back through the thread.

Last edited by BGFalcon; March 29th, 2007 at 08:09 PM.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #527
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

The American Mall has always not done well in Lima but what's keeping it open is the Andersons. Back in the 90s and even today, they've only managed to open a cinema but no renovations to the mall. As long as the Andersons is there, the dumpy mall will chug on as usual.

That pretty much sums it up.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM   #528
Bonjourtoledo

Ferry Terminal Development 4-1-2007

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #529
Hanker
Hometown Toronto

Hello Toledo

Hello Toledo thread members!
I was ecstatic to discover the existance of the Toledo thread.
For the last while home was on the Toronto threads, being my hometown before coming state side about a dozen years ago.
I'm now in Toledo managing the big building and look forward to participating in this discussion board.
Hanker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM   #530
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Moving to NW Ohio

Howdy partners,
I've been a frequent contributor in other areas; I'm moving to NW Ohio (BG?) later this summer to start a new job. I'm looking forward to to getting to know the region, Toledo, and SE Michigan...and maybe buying a nice old house in the city.

Last edited by cjfjapan; April 4th, 2007 at 07:20 AM.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM   #531
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanker View Post
Hello Toledo thread members!
I was ecstatic to discover the existance of the Toledo thread.
For the last while home was on the Toronto threads, being my hometown before coming state side about a dozen years ago.
I'm now in Toledo managing the big building and look forward to participating in this discussion board.
Welcome! We are looking forward to your discussions and posting of pictures and development news around the Toledo region. What part of Toledo you reside at?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #532
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Howdy partners,
I've been a frequent contributor in other areas; I'm moving to NE Ohio (BG?) later this summer to start a new job. I'm looking forward to to getting to know the region, Toledo, and SE Michigan...and maybe buying a nice old house in the city.
Welcome to our regional thread and looking forward to your postings. This part of the state is considered "NW Ohio" if you are referring to moving to Bowling Green (BG)? Which city are you looking to buy an old house? There are abundance of gorgeous, historical, old homes in Toledo, Perrysburg, Bowling Green, and Fremont that are affordable. I would avoid looking for an old home in Maumee, Sylvania, Ottawa Hills because they are pricey IMO.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #533
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
This part of the state is considered "NW Ohio"
Damn, and embarrassing start - I knew that!
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #534
BGFalcon

Lake Erie West Global Logistics Hub

Regional planners want to turn NW Ohio and SE Michigan into a global logistics center. A major part of this is development around Toledo Express Airport. Land has been cleared in the area north of airport highway, west of the turnpike interchange and south of the railroad tracks. Could this plan work and bring jobs to NW Ohio?

We know that this area has the potential to be a 21st-century transportation, logistics and supply chain center for global sourcing. The Lake Erie West Global Logistics Hub is our vision. The Hub encompasses four major transportation complexes all focused on transportation services, distribution, and value-added operations that take advantage of the unique intermodal terminals in our area and their proximity
to each other. The areas are: the Toledo Express Global Logistics Park (with air cargo, rail accessibility, and direct Ohio Turnpike access for triple truck trailers);
the Golden Triangle Distribution Corridor (with rail accessibility and access to strategic north-south and east-west interstate highways serving all of eastern North America); the Trans-Pacific Inland Port (with direct three-day rail access to uncongested ports in Vancouver and Prince Rupert); and the Toledo Seaport (with direct water access to Saint Lawrence Seaway and European ports).

The above info and more can be found at http://www.tmacog.org/Transportation...da_6_26_06.pdf
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #535
Hanker
Hometown Toronto

Quote:
Welcome! We are looking forward to your discussions and posting of pictures and development news around the Toledo region. What part of Toledo you reside at?
My wife and I are currently looking at a potential house outside of Perrysberg. I have been here now about seven months making a long commute, managing a notable landmark in the city.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #536
nickw311

Quote:
My wife and I are currently looking at a potential house outside of Perrysberg. I have been here now about seven months making a long commute, managing a notable landmark in the city.
I gather that you are the manager of One Seagate from your profile, how is the transition going with 5/3 moving in there? I also heard that they were putting their sign on top of the building, do you have any details about that?

Thanks
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #537
Hanker
Hometown Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I gather that you are the manager of One Seagate from your profile, how is the transition going with 5/3 moving in there? I also heard that they were putting their sign on top of the building, do you have any details about that?

Thanks
That's me. Fifth Third signed their lease last Friday making it official, and their move into One SeaGate will certainly have a positive impact not only on leasing the building (both office and retail) but in making the building the focal point of a revitalized downtown Toledo. We have been making some improvements over the past few months, and the building will be renamed Fifth Third Center at One SeaGate. Their brand will be at the top of the building and I'll post the mock-up online as soon as it's official (unless the Blade bets me to it); their signage looks very good.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #538
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
Regional planners want to turn NW Ohio and SE Michigan into a global logistics center. A major part of this is development around Toledo Express Airport. Land has been cleared in the area north of airport highway, west of the turnpike interchange and south of the railroad tracks. Could this plan work and bring jobs to NW Ohio?

We know that this area has the potential to be a 21st-century transportation, logistics and supply chain center for global sourcing. The Lake Erie West Global Logistics Hub is our vision. The Hub encompasses four major transportation complexes all focused on transportation services, distribution, and value-added operations that take advantage of the unique intermodal terminals in our area and their proximity
to each other. The areas are: the Toledo Express Global Logistics Park (with air cargo, rail accessibility, and direct Ohio Turnpike access for triple truck trailers);
the Golden Triangle Distribution Corridor (with rail accessibility and access to strategic north-south and east-west interstate highways serving all of eastern North America); the Trans-Pacific Inland Port (with direct three-day rail access to uncongested ports in Vancouver and Prince Rupert); and the Toledo Seaport (with direct water access to Saint Lawrence Seaway and European ports).

The above info and more can be found at http://www.tmacog.org/Transportation...da_6_26_06.pdf
Well there has been some "hush hush" about a land transaction recently that FedEx has bought 200+ acres near the airport. I do think this is a smart move with this plan to make it a global logistics center because of the location of where Toledo is in the midwest area. It will definetly bring new jobs depending on who's who is involved in this project and who's moving in. I'm sure we will know soon of what's going on with this project because this is supposed to the next biggest thing in our region since the new I-280 Bridge project.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #539
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
That's me. Fifth Third signed their lease last Friday making it official, and their move into One SeaGate will certainly have a positive impact not only on leasing the building (both office and retail) but in making the building the focal point of a revitalized downtown Toledo. We have been making some improvements over the past few months, and the building will be renamed Fifth Third Center at One SeaGate. Their brand will be at the top of the building and I'll post the mock-up online as soon as it's official (unless the Blade bets me to it); their signage looks very good.
I love this building and I remembered when I was kid as this building was being built. I hope the improvements also involves the underground concorde that connects COSi, Four Seagate, KeyBank, Toledo Edison, multiple parking garages and the former Wyndham Hotel. I remember during the Portside days that there used to be multiple freshwater aquariums and shops to venture which was neat; the murals were cool as well but needs to be touched-up. I'd like to see Starbucks or Caribou Coffee to occupy the One Seagate concorde along with a bakery, Subway, Jamba Juice, a cafe that serves breakfast all day, Walgreens or Rite Aid store, book/magazine store, and a fitness center which could not only serve the employees that work in the building but also serve the downtown residents (like me) all year round.

With 5/3 Bank moving in, it will help other businesses to fill up from outside of the region. You can get businesses who wants to get away from the high cost of the Detroit Metro area. I am also impressed that 5/3 Bank plans to keep their branch office at the Madison/Huron Building which I love old buildings. With a new downtown arena being built the next block over, this building will have no problem filling up.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #540
Hanker
Hometown Toronto

Quote:
I love this building and I remembered when I was kid as this building was being built. I hope the improvements also involves the underground concorde that connects COSi, Four Seagate, KeyBank, Toledo Edison, multiple parking garages and the former Wyndham Hotel. I remember during the Portside days that there used to be multiple freshwater aquariums and shops to venture which was neat; the murals were cool as well but needs to be touched-up. I'd like to see Starbucks or Caribou Coffee to occupy the One Seagate concorde along with a bakery, Subway, Jamba Juice, a cafe that serves breakfast all day, Walgreens or Rite Aid store, book/magazine store, and a fitness center which could not only serve the employees that work in the building but also serve the downtown residents (like me) all year round.

With 5/3 Bank moving in, it will help other businesses to fill up from outside of the region. You can get businesses who wants to get away from the high cost of the Detroit Metro area. I am also impressed that 5/3 Bank plans to keep their branch office at the Madison/Huron Building which I love old buildings. With a new downtown arena being built the next block over, this building will have no problem filling up.
The retail concourse is one of our focuses. You will see a coffee shop and a soup/sandwich place open in the upcoming months, and new furniture (including tables and chairs) is scheduled for arrival in May. There has also been some interest shown by three larger restaurants. We would love to secure a drugstore and florist down here as well, and are looking at making the theater and courtyard destination locations for events, shows or small concerts (and are discussing bringing back the skating rink). By 5/3 coming into the building, the daytime population will increase to over 1,000 and that in itself will be the catalyst to get all this going in the right direction.