daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #541
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Steam Plant developers sued

The City of Toledo is suing the developers of the steam plant in toledo due to a lack of progress at the site.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=6354955
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #542
vader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
The City of Toledo is suing the developers of the steam plant in toledo due to a lack of progress at the site.

seems like a double standard considering i havent seen Dillin make any progress on southwyck for about a year.
vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #543
nickw311

Likes (Received): 1

redacted
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #544
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
seems like a double standard considering i havent seen Dillin make any progress on southwyck for about a year.
No it isn't, the developers for the Steam Plant received taxpayers' money of $300,000 to use for the project from former mayor Jack Ford. Since they currently have the money, they have not done anything with the project as of today. I can see why the city had no choice but to file lawsuit since the developers did violate the contract and its agreement.

The developers (Dillin) for Southwyck has not received any money from the city nor state as of yet so it is not the same situation as with the developers with Steam Plant. The progress on Southwyck is in Dillard's court because they own portion of the Southwyck Mall. Dillard's have yet to make a decision of what to do with their property which is not Dillin nor city's fault. Dillin has been pretty proactive on the Southwyck redevelopment which they've been working with the Toledo-Lucas County Planning offices in the last twelve months to apply for TIF grants and other grants to redevelop surrounding infrastructures (i.e. roads, street lights, sidewalks, sewer/water lines, etc).
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #545
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:

Which is justified because the developers have accepted the taxpayers' money of $300,000 when Jack Ford was mayor.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #546
nickw311

So what is the possibility of the development completely falling through?
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #547
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
So what is the possibility of the development completely falling through?
It depends on who's doing the development, if the city wants David Ball and Jimmy Jackson (current developers) out of the project and if the city has someone else to redevelop it then it won't fall through. But if there is no one else to redevelop it then the project falls through. It saddens me that if the current developers treat the Steam Plant as a top priority then they would do everything to communicate with the city to ensure that even the project is delayed yet it is still on track. With the $300,000 taxpayers money being involved, the developers must be responsible reporting and communicating the progress at all times which is normal in most public entity projects (i.e. constructions of roads, bridges, subsidized homes, schools, etc that involves public dollars).

If you read the actual document posted on nbc24.com which they provided the direct link to the original document of the lawsuit, it clearly states that the developers did not meet the agreement clauses in the contract. Best bet for the developers is to return the public dollars back to the city if they cannot meet the criteria in redeveloping the steam plant.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #548
Bonjourtoledo

Steam Plant Redevelopment News 4-12-2007

Here's the Blade's version on the story, it's funny how councilman Szollosi defends the developers since it was the former mayor's project and he's J Fo's cheerleader. All I can say to Szollosi is...pot calling its kettle.......

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #549
Bonjourtoledo

HCR Manor Development News 4-12-2007

Title of this article is a bit misleading but it's encouraging to read it after knowing that this company is very solid and a huge part of our region. Let's hope their success continues and perhaps expand their business/workforce in Toledo in the near future.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #550
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena/Sports Development News 4-16-2007

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #551
vader

[QUOTE=Bonjourtoledo;12624365]Here's the Blade's version on the story, it's funny how councilman Szollosi defends the developers since it was the former mayor's project and he's J Fo's cheerleader. All I can say to Szollosi is...pot calling its kettle.......QUOTE]

In a way i agree with szollosi. I could see if the Mayor has someone lined up for the development but he doesnt. So few decide to invest in Toledo, and as soon as someone does we make it as difficult as possible (see Costco). We can either get no development or be patient and possibly get development. I think anyone with average intellegence would take the latter.
vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #552
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Here's the Blade's version on the story, it's funny how councilman Szollosi defends the developers since it was the former mayor's project and he's J Fo's cheerleader. All I can say to Szollosi is...pot calling its kettle.......

In a way i agree with szollosi. I could see if the Mayor has someone lined up for the development but he doesnt. So few decide to invest in Toledo, and as soon as someone does we make it as difficult as possible (see Costco). We can either get no development or be patient and possibly get development. I think anyone with average intellegence would take the latter.
The reason I say "pot calling its kettle..." because recently Szollosi voted to take business from private ambulance companies in favor of city ambulance service. I agree that the politicians make it difficult for Costco for an example; IMO it's up to the voters to decide in whether we keep them in office or not. But also it is also up to us to pick up the phone or write letters to the elected officials to voice our concerns; however, I've done this in the past and they've responded to my concerns every time. I see and hear people b*tch all the time yet they don't make time to vote or voice their concerns about their community.

I think the development projects in Toledo is extremely underrated, unappreciated, and underwhelmed by the local media and negative residents of our region. We have a quite a bit of developments in this region more than a lot of places in the country. That's my two cents on this topic.
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #553
nickw311

Park Lane Apartments

I looked at Park Lane Apartments today to possibly move into them this summer. Does anyone here know anything about the place? The rent seemed reasonable and it seemed nice but there were a few concerns I had.

First: New owners just took over, and I didnt get the impression that it was by a company that was experienced in doing this. I think it is run by individuals. This concerns me because I don't want them to go bankrupt or run into issues that will disrupt my quiet enjoyment.

Another thing that made it seem unprofessional was that there were a lot of differences from apt to apt. For example, the doors are all different and the guy showing the place said that he got them from the attic and they were original doors. This concerns me again because I know there are fire regulations - I would assume that they would be required to have fire-proof doors. These didnt seem fire proof.

I then asked him about the sprinkler system and he didn't have a lot of information about it or whether it was in operation.

There were a few other minor things that I wondered about but aren't worth mentioning.

Overall I will say that I liked the place, it seemed quiet and was reasonably priced. I just want to get more information on all places before I commit. Any information would be great.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #554
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I looked at Park Lane Apartments today to possibly move into them this summer. Does anyone here know anything about the place? The rent seemed reasonable and it seemed nice but there were a few concerns I had.

First: New owners just took over, and I didnt get the impression that it was by a company that was experienced in doing this. I think it is run by individuals. This concerns me because I don't want them to go bankrupt or run into issues that will disrupt my quiet enjoyment.

Another thing that made it seem unprofessional was that there were a lot of differences from apt to apt. For example, the doors are all different and the guy showing the place said that he got them from the attic and they were original doors. This concerns me again because I know there are fire regulations - I would assume that they would be required to have fire-proof doors. These didnt seem fire proof.

I then asked him about the sprinkler system and he didn't have a lot of information about it or whether it was in operation.

There were a few other minor things that I wondered about but aren't worth mentioning.

Overall I will say that I liked the place, it seemed quiet and was reasonably priced. I just want to get more information on all places before I commit. Any information would be great.

Yes, it was taken over by new owners (local) about a couple of years ago who were from Bedford Twp., MI area and they are committed in the building (according to the papers). However, I do have an article posted in this thread somewhere, you may want to hunt it down. The previous owners sold it due to bankruptcy and I don't think you need to be worried about the new owners.

Unprofessional could mean inexperience, as I stated above they are local and new to this type of venture but very committed to the building. I've heard through the neighbors throughout the Old West End neighborhood that they are pleased with the new owners and their involvement. The owners have hosted tours for the OWE festivals and other antique events in the building.

About the doors and fire sprinkler, they have to be up to code despite of the person's lack of knowledge because the building wouldn't be able to change owners without a proper permit through the city as it is required to do an thorough inspection. I would contact Park Lane again and speak with the actual owners with your concerns.

From other people that I know who knows other people that lived or have lived in that building have had good experience.

Hope this helps.
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #555
nickw311

The guy that helped me may have been the owner's son. He was pretty young. He was very helpful and all, I just thought he could have known a little more.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM   #556
Bonjourtoledo

Water Street Steam Plant Update 4-23-2007

An in-depth article at looking the Steam Plant project, and it gives all sides of the story of how stressful it is to redevelop an older/historical building. I am all for redeveloping but if the developers are to receive public dollars, they must and I mean MUST communicate with the government about the progress of the project consistently.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #557
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development News 4-23-2007

WOW, let's say I am surprised considering that the Mud Hens have bought the hockey team, now talking with the NBA minor league basketball, and the arena football. This arena will definetly be a sure-fire hit with all-year round sporting/concert events in the downtown area. IMO, having the Mud Hens organization get teams for the new arena is by far the smartest move since the city/county officials have decided to move the arena from east side to downtown.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM   #558
Bonjourtoledo

Most Friendly Business by fDi Magazine

This will be announced today by our mayor and U.S. Representative by this reputable magazine that gears on globalization, economics, investment, and bio tech industries. Toledo has been named as most friendly business and here is the link to the site: http://www.gdi-solutions.com/fdi/200...rge_cities.htm. I will post for further news story on this thread.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #559
BGFalcon

Stautzenberger College to Arrowhead not Southwyck

Seems it took too long for Southwyck to get going, so Stautzenberger is moving to Maumee.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=6424676
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #560
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Seems it took too long for Southwyck to get going, so Stautzenberger is moving to Maumee.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=6424676

Yep I agree with you, but the two buildings Stautzenberger College occupies were being leased and the existing buildings were sold recently which the new owner was not renewing their lease according to the WSPD Talk Radio show this evening. With the lease not being renewed and Southwyck still in the planning phases, they really had no choice but of course the naysayers and the doom-and-gloom folks are groaning that it's Carty's fault and the sky's falling like its the end of the world.

Ultimately, I don't understand how this owner of Southwyck from KC name Sherman (don't remember his last name) can get away with this when Larry Dillin of Dillin Corp. and the city is trying to assist in redeveloping the area. This Sherman guy is still the ultimate owner of this neglected mall along with the Dillard's owner, so where is their responsibility???? Sherman has shown us for years that he's using this property as a tax write-off and IMO the city should be sending every available city inspectors to fine him to the sky's limit for everything that wrong which is violating the building codes. This would force him to sell the mall since he is the real culprit of Southwyck being an eyesore. He could perhaps sell it to Dillin Corp. and they can develop it to its glory because the location is still viable and it's located in a high populated area.

Good riddance if the city would use my advice about using the city inspectors and drive Sherman to sell the mall. Enough of my two cents for the night.