daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #621
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 4

That's a sweet bridge!

I'm sure it's in the article, but I really didn't feel like reading it ... but how long did it take to build it? ... and how many lanes is it in each direction?
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #622
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Just drove over the new bridge and it is spectacular! They only have two lanes open in each direction, but it is an unbelievable improvement over the old drawbridge. The view North is one we have never really gotten to experience before.
I drove it this morning for the first time about 4 times and then later in the day I went back out again. The view 360 degrees around the new bridge is phenomenal. I can see Davis Besse Nuclear Power, UT Clock Tower, the new Toledo Hospital Tower, Monroe County Power Plant, and the new Jeep Plant smoke stacks.
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #623
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
That's a sweet bridge!

I'm sure it's in the article, but I really didn't feel like reading it ... but how long did it take to build it? ... and how many lanes is it in each direction?
The bridge project began in early 2002 which came out of a long-range planning of 10+ years to make it a reality and it's 3 lanes each way.
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #624
Paule

Likes (Received): 943

Toledo, home of Sanctus Real. I saw them this Saturday and they rocked!!!
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #625
Bonjourtoledo

Savage Hall Redevelopment Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #626
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Any chance they do anything with the Glass Bowl? I don't even know how they draw for the games anyway.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #627
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I dont think anything will be done to the glass bowl. I believe they updated that in 1990 and the seating capacity is around 26 to 28000 and I remember that at one of the BG Ut games the attendance was over 35000. They draw pretty good numbers every game and play a lot of weeknight games that are on national tv
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #628
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
I dont think anything will be done to the glass bowl. I believe they updated that in 1990 and the seating capacity is around 26 to 28000 and I remember that at one of the BG Ut games the attendance was over 35000. They draw pretty good numbers every game and play a lot of weeknight games that are on national tv
So where did the other 7 to 9,000 people sit?

Old June 29th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #629
Bonjourtoledo

Buckeye Biopower Ethanol Plant Development

Port Authority approves ethanol plant proposal
By David Steffen
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer
[email protected]

The Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority approved June 28 the construction of an ethanol plant on the Maumee River.

If built, the plant would be the first ethanol plant with direct access to the Great Lakes.

“We are very pleased that the Port Authority feels that an ethanol plant would be a great addition to the City of Toledo and the region,” said Bob Spitler, an attorney for Buckeye Biopower. “We anticipate that the ethanol plant would have a significant positive economic impact on the region and help lead Toledo in the alternative fuels arena.”

The Port Authority, which owns the 120-acre site on the Maumee River, consented to Midwest Terminals of Toledo's request to sublease the property. Buckeye Biopower in turn will build the 30-acre plant on the site. Midwest Terminals President Alex Johnson said groundbreaking would likely happen between October and December.

“The land in the port has been underutilized,” Johnson said.

When completed, the $240 million plant will produce ethanol from corn and the grain Milo.

Johnson said it would be the first ethanol plant with direct access to the Great Lakes. The plant would have access to highway, railway and water connections, he said.

“Most of the ethanol plants are out in the country,” Johnson said. “I think this is the first ethanol plant with all forms of transportation.”

Deichert said the plant would be able to continue ethanol production during the winter season on the Great Lakes.

“It'll provide year-round employment opportunities for our employees,” Deichert said. “The shipping industry in the Great Lakes is a seasonal business.”

Johnson said the plant could result in more offshoot jobs in addition to those created directly at the plant.

“I think it's a great opportunity for East Toledo to improve the employment situation,” Johnson said. “There's not only the 40 to 50 direct jobs from this plant, but there are other opportunities that will create jobs that are support for the ethanol plant.”
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #630
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
So where did the other 7 to 9,000 people sit?
The Glass Bowl does not have individual seatings, they have benches which you can basically cram as many people as you want in the stadium.
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #631
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

I've driven by a bunch of times, but never actually looked at the stadium. Does the school make enough from football and other sports to possibly add capacity? Is it open ended on both sides?

Old June 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #632
Bonjourtoledo

Buckeye Biopower Ethanol Plant Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #633
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
I've driven by a bunch of times, but never actually looked at the stadium. Does the school make enough from football and other sports to possibly add capacity? Is it open ended on both sides?
The Glass Bowl is beautiful with the cobblestone exterior all around the stadium and the entrance is on all sides. The UT games is consistently one of the highest attended games in the MAC league which averages between 25,000-35,000.
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #634
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Last year, the Rockets averaged just over 20,000 fans per game, but it was also a down year. 26,248 is the capacity and it was expanded in 1990.

The problem that Toledo and Bowling Green both have is that they sit right in the middle of Ann Arbor, South Bend, and Columbus. I actually live about a mile and a half away from UT, but I drive the forty-five minutes to Ann Arbor to watch the Wolverines play. My parents, who live right between UT and BGSU, drive two hours to see the Buckeyes play. And my neighbor drives two hours to see the Irish play. Even with the driving time, most people I know around Toledo hit the road during college football season rather than watching the local teams.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #635
b1gh0u5e

The Port Authority, which owns the 120-acre site on the Maumee River, consented to Midwest Terminals of Toledo's request to sublease the property. Buckeye Biopower in turn will build the 30-acre plant on the site. Midwest Terminals President Alex Johnson said groundbreaking would likely happen between October and December.

“The land in the port has been underutilized,” Johnson said.

This guy should run for local government...he seems to understand something our elected officials can't grasp.
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #636
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Quote:
Last year, the Rockets averaged just over 20,000 fans per game, but it was also a down year. 26,248 is the capacity and it was expanded in 1990.

The problem that Toledo and Bowling Green both have is that they sit right in the middle of Ann Arbor, South Bend, and Columbus. I actually live about a mile and a half away from UT, but I drive the forty-five minutes to Ann Arbor to watch the Wolverines play. My parents, who live right between UT and BGSU, drive two hours to see the Buckeyes play. And my neighbor drives two hours to see the Irish play. Even with the driving time, most people I know around Toledo hit the road during college football season rather than watching the local teams.
Did you read the news that they are expanding the "Big House"?

Old June 30th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #637
b1gh0u5e

Yes, the headline is a little bit misleading though. Actual seating capacity is only increasing by 500-2,000 seats. The big news is they are installing four story press/luxury boxes that run the length of the field on both sides of the stadium. In the bowl, they are going to widen the aisles, put in railings, and actually remove seats for added comfort. You will still see attendance figures stay at around 111,000-112,000 for games. My hope is the added press boxes will help to keep the crowd noise inside the stadium making the Big House much louder than it is now.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #638
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Quote:
Yes, the headline is a little bit misleading though. Actual seating capacity is only increasing by 500-2,000 seats. The big news is they are installing four story press/luxury boxes that run the length of the field on both sides of the stadium. In the bowl, they are going to widen the aisles, put in railings, and actually remove seats for added comfort. You will still see attendance figures stay at around 111,000-112,000 for games. My hope is the added press boxes will help to keep the crowd noise inside the stadium making the Big House much louder than it is now.
That's a tough task considering most of the larger stadiums are built out much more now.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #639
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

They're movin dirt over at the menards site in Oregon. They must have started it last week sometime. Noticed it goin to maumee before i went to detroit saturday for the game. Heard Cracker Barrel wants to put a restuarant over there as well. Does anyone know when the indoor water park in maumee is supposed to open?
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #640
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
They're movin dirt over at the menards site in Oregon. They must have started it last week sometime. Noticed it goin to maumee before i went to detroit saturday for the game. Heard Cracker Barrel wants to put a restuarant over there as well. Does anyone know when the indoor water park in maumee is supposed to open?
Yep, and Menards are moving dirt at the Alexis Road location across from Meijer as well. Cracker Barrel doesn't surprise me since now that the new I-280 bridge is open and you will see much more development in the next 10 years along I-280 to State Route 420 then U.S. Route 20 into Fremont.

The indoor water park of Maumee has been mentioned with photos in this thread, you will have to look back. The water park will be a Holiday Inn hotel which will be a huge boost to the interchange of U.S. 20 and Turnpike, a lot of out-of-towners stay in hotels along Reynolds Road and Dussel Drive all year-round.

Here are some photos of the Indoor Water Park in Maumee:

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; July 3rd, 2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Adding photos