daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #681
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Former I-280 Bridge Development

This is such a good thing to be able to reunite the neighborhoods that was ripped apart due to the birth of national interstate freeways during the 1950-60s.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #682
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post

$80 MILLION EXPANSION PROJECT
FedEx offered incentive to stay
Mayor proposes 3-trailer rigs on busy Reynolds Road
The secondary option of land near the airport with direct access to the turnpike might be the best way to keep Fed Ex in Lucas County. I don't think I would want to see triple trailers on Reynolds anyway.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #683
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
The secondary option of land near the airport with direct access to the turnpike might be the best way to keep Fed Ex in Lucas County. I don't think I would want to see triple trailers on Reynolds anyway.
ITA considering that most of the land at and around the airport is owned by the City of Toledo. Perhaps this is the time for Toledo to start annexing the airport right through Springfield and Monclova Townships.
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #684
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #685
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

What's going on with the spot Jimmy Jackson and associate bought? I remember reading about it in the paper before I left. Any updates on that?
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #686
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
What's going on with the spot Jimmy Jackson and associate bought? I remember reading about it in the paper before I left. Any updates on that?
Due to the Water Street Steam Plant being the historic designated preserved building, they have to abide the rules of the Ohio State Historic Society commission. Plus they are seeking permission to take out a wall to add on the extension of the newer townhouses toward the river according to the state regulations and awaiting for award in grants to cover some expenditures. So they mentioned the last time with all the hurdles, they will begin the construction this fall since the historic society commission have finally speed up the process.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; July 27th, 2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #687
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Do you believe that? That it will be track for construction during the fall?

Old July 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #688
Bonjourtoledo

I have to say yes, because they received $300K from the city as a contribution to the project and the city has put them on noticed to ensure that the money was not used for other purpose (outside of the Steam Plant project). David Ball who is one of the developer with Jimmy Jackson is a huge downtown booster since he owns quite a bit of properties and rehabbed them as well. When redeveloping any historic building with the Ohio State Historic Committee is truly a bitch to the max because they are the worst kind of bureaucrat on this planet (in my professional opinion). So with the delays and hurdles that Jackson/Ball had to deal with, it did not surprise me one bit.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #689
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

What's the timeline like for the finished product if it gets on track in the Fall? Are these apartments, condos or lofts?

One other question while I'm thinking about Toledo. What are they going to do with the old Arena property? That should be pretty key, I would think.

Old July 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #690
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
What's the timeline like for the finished product if it gets on track in the Fall? Are these apartments, condos or lofts?

One other question while I'm thinking about Toledo. What are they going to do with the old Arena property? That should be pretty key, I would think.
Here is the website to the Steam Plant development and hopefully you could contact the developers for the timeline which they will assist potential homeowners: http://www.waterstreettoledo.com/

The old arena is being demolished on August 8th and it is to make way for the Marina District project. It is to bring and/or connect the International Park and The Docks together by removing the old arena. If I recall according to the renderings, the section of the old arena land will be for high-density residential development.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #691
Bonjourtoledo

Levis Commons Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #692
Bonjourtoledo

Science & Technology Corridor Development News

Grant spurs action for tech corridor
By Duane Ramsey
Toledo Free Press Staff Writer
[email protected]

The Science and Technology Corridor and University of Toledo received additional financial support with a federal grant of $1.95 million from the U.S. Economic Development Administration for infrastructure improvements at the Health Science Campus.

Rep. Mary Kaptur announced the federal grant at a special ceremony held Aug. 6 on the site of a future research and development center on UT's Health Science Campus. The funds will be used to build a new road and improve the infrastructure at the site on Arlington Avenue.

“The corridor is already creating new economic opportunity in our community,” Kaptur said. “With this new impetus, the corridor can act as the main driver for new jobs and new businesses in growth industries.”

The corridor facilitated alternative energy and tech-based business development through its connection with educational expertise and new business incubation facilities at UT. Plans include development of additional biotechnology and mixed-use incubators through partnerships between the University and local businesses.

“New technology is the foundation stone for new jobs. The corridor is a pathway for collaboration between the University, the private sector and governmental agencies,” Kaptur said.

UT President Lloyd Jacobs called it a “great day as we begin a more concrete phase of this undertaking.”

“It's not about buildings or infrastructure. It's about the spirit of cooperation among UT, other educational institutions and community partners, which bodes well for Northwest Ohio,” Dr. Jacobs said.

UT's leadership in the Science and Technology Corridor involves connecting the knowledge resources with business and government for economic development in the Northwest Ohio region.

“We must brand our region as one for research and technology. It will take time and effort, but this opportunity could have a significant impact on this entire area,” said Richard Stansley Jr., chairman of UT's board of trustees.

“This is what Northwest Ohio's future is all about. This is it,” said Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner. “We will play a leadership role in economic development. This University is the engine that drives the economy of our region.”

Finkbeiner said the area needs to extend the corridor and these partnerships across the border into Michigan. He cited the University of Michigan, one of the largest research institutions in the country, and the automobile industry as potential partners.

“Research and innovation means business. We need to keep that focus narrow to make the science and technology corridor a success. We're on our way,” Finkbeiner said.

The future looks very bright for Toledo and the university, said C. Robert Sawyer, director of the Chicago Regional Office of the U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration. The government expects a return on its investment in this area, he said.

“This project makes a lot of sense to help the city and region diversify the economy,” Sawyer said. “The spirit of cooperation with the UT and City of Toledo partnership is critical for the region's success in the global economy.”

The federal funding of the project was supported by both of Ohio's U.S. Senators, Sherrod Brown and George Voinovich. Representatives from the offices of both senators read statements from them about the significance of the corridor to further economic development in the region.

The steadfast support of Congresswoman Kaptur, Brown as both a representative and now senator, and Voinovich as a mayor, governor and now senator made the funding of this project possible, according to Sawyer.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #693
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Project Development

Sounds like they need to proceed the proposed project of the Erie Street Parking Garage which was to be constructed in between Adams and Madison Streets on Erie few years back. Now is the time boys, let the demo begin!

Old August 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #694
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment News Update

Old August 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #695
Bonjourtoledo

HCR Manor Development News

The latest rumor I heard was that Indianapolis is "poaching" and "pirating" this company to move into their city. Let me politely warn those Indy folks, you are in the fight of your life because you will be not only fighting with Toledo, but Lucas County and the state of Ohio as well.

Old August 16th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #696
Bonjourtoledo

Biodiesel Development News

Old August 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #697
Bonjourtoledo

One Seagate Tower News Update

Old August 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #698
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee Interchange Development News

Dussel and Salisbury road interchange multi-million dollar facelift

WTVG--August 14, 2007 - Major roadwork is on the way for a major intersection. The Dussel and Salisbury road interchange on I-475 and US 23 is about to get a multi-million dollar facelift.

Tens of thousands of cars pass through there every day. If you have been through there at rush hour you know what a mess it can be. Everyone we talked to thinks the construction project will help alleviate some of the traffic troubles. Some local business owners are concerned about the time it will take to finish the project. Getting from one side to the other isn't always easy at the Salisbury Road - Dussel Drive interchange.
Michael Stormer, the ODOT district planning engineer, says, "The original interchange opened in 1987 and some would say that it was outdated back then because there was so much traffic to Arrowhead Park at the time. If you ever travel this stretch of road you can definitely see what's going on."

A massive construction project will help cut down on the congestion...

"Right now construction is set to begin in April or May of 2008, so about nine months from now. It will take two years to construct the interchange."

The construction includes a widening of the road and new ramps.

"The interchange itself will end up having two cloverleaf ramps and then we will increase capacity in the driving lanes. It will be three lanes in each direction. We will also add turn lanes and in some cases, dual turn lanes."

Mary Ellen Helminski lives and works near the busy interchange. She knew nothing about the upcoming project, and while she thinks it will be a major improvement, she worries about businesses in the area.

"If it improves that will be great, but for two years it's going to be horrible."

The project will cost about $35 million. People like Mary Ellen are banking on that being money well spent.

Just to get an idea how busy the area is, on the Dussel Drive side of the interchange more than 38,000 cars pass through every day. That number is expected to jump to nearly 52,000 in the next twenty years.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #699
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment News Update

Toledo mayor frustrated about Southwyck

WTVG-- August 14, 2007 - Toledo is trying to push the Southwyck project forward by spending $3 million over the next four months, but none of that money will change the mall.

When talk of redeveloping south Toledo began many years ago, at the heart of it was redeveloping Southwyck Mall. Well now, that mall is at the heart of the problem. There are signs of change along Reynolds Road, a new McDonalds, a new strip mall and even new potted plants. Not everything is going into the Marina District. Today, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner is pushing for more change with plans to spend $2.7 million to make the stretch of Reynolds more beautiful with new lights, street signs and even more potted plants between Glendale and Heatherdowns, but Southwyck Mall is still the same.
Developer Larry Dillin began working with the city on the Southwyck project more than a year ago.

"I have been encouraging the city to take positive steps, including the renovations along Reynolds Road because that helps everyone along this corridor, not just the Southwyck property."

Dillin now has an offer on the table to buy Southwyck Mall.

"Within 30 days, it is my hope that we will have new ownership or ownership that is committed to moving forward with the redevelopment of the mall."

If not, the mayor is prepared to take legal action to get the property. The cosmetic changes the mayor is proposing will take place along Reynolds Road from Glendale to Heatherdowns. The work would start immediately and be done by December 31. As for Dillard's, The mayor is giving the company and the mall 30 days to either come up with a plan to redevelop the mall or accept a buyout offer from Larry Dillin.

After those 30 days, the mayor will look into possible legal actions to take the property. Finkbeiner wants to avoid a deadline to impose eminent domain because laws for that will change in October. It will then be tougher for governments to take control of property and the legal battle would get even harder for the mayor.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #700
Bonjourtoledo

Wind Energy Expansion of Bowling Green

Bowling Green to Add 33 More Wind Turbines
Aug 15, 2007 on WTOL.com

More Wind Turbines Coming to BG

BOWLING GREEN -- Bowling Green already has four wind turbines generating electricity -- and has had them since 2003. Dozens more may be on the way, reports News 11's Dick Berry.

The tall, twirling turbines are easy to spot along US 6 near the Wood County landfill. If everything falls into place, rows and rows of wind turbines could be in place by 2009. And Bowling Green could become "Blowing Green."

Bowling Green and the company responsible for building the original four turbines are looking at adding another 33.

"Bowling Green and a number of other municipal electric utilities are looking at increasing the amount of renewable energy they use," explains Kevin Maynard, BG's utilities director.

The wind farm will generate 49 megawatts of power placed on an electric grid shared by members of a co-op in northern Ohio. Land for the turbines will be leased from local landowners.

"People around here are familiar with the wind turbines. It's not an unknown to them. We believe people are more accepting of the renewable technology here," says Maynard.

Both George Cole and and Eric Gray, Waterville zoning officials, are researching the placement of turbines in their community.

"I've just been to Europe. And they're all over Europe and so I think we're a little behind times," said Cole.

"And it makes a lot of sense to use a resource that is already there rather than gas and all that sort of stuff," said Gray.

Ohio U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) praises Bowling Green and says the area has the potential of becoming the Silicon Valley of alternative energy.

"It helps wean us from Middle Eastern oil. It helps with our trade deficit. It helps with the environment and job creation," Brown said.

Word should come within six months if the wind farm is a go for a town some people now refer to as "Blowing Green."