daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #701
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Sports Arena Demolition Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #702
Bonjourtoledo

Rossford Downtown Redevelopment News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #703
Bonjourtoledo

Woodland Mall Redevelopment News

Bowling Green is part of the Toledo MSA, and it is located about 20 miles south of Toledo and it's the home of Bowling Green State University. Its population is nearly about 30,000 residents.

There are changes in store for Woodland Mall in Bowling Green
By GREGORY L. VAN VORHIS
Sentinel Staff Writer

At 20, the Woodland Mall is beginning to show its age, and Woodland Mall Holdings of New York City is taking steps to make updates.
They’re trying to make it more competitive with other malls and work in a new more classy logo, mall manager Corrina Warren said.
Some progress has been made since the first of the year, including taking down the canopies across the front of the mall, and removing the trees inside, which blocked visibility for mall customers, making it difficult for them to see what stores are down each wing.
Additional interior changes that can be expected include repainting, lighting changes, and a shift in the kind of Muzak that is played through the mall’s speakers.
“They’re talking about new landscaping and changing the marquee,” said Warren.
The mall recently hired the leasing company CB Richard Ellis, Inc., of Cleveland to attract more stores. David Ralls, a representative of the company, also has shared ideas to expand the improvements to help draw both businesses and customers.
“We suggested looking at some wi-fi setup of some sort where students or people eating there would have online access,” he said. “The whole idea is to make it more user friendly so more people will want to come there and when they are there want to spend more time there.”
There is no word whether or not that idea will be implemented.

Having just signed an agreement with Woodland Mall Holdings, CB Richard Ellis is in the infant stage of drawing new businesses.
Ralls said that one focus will be on adding more restaurants “to draw traffic, which will help any existing shops and draw any future shops that may decide to come. The entertainment component is an important aspect at any mall.
“We’re going to start marketing the property to national and regional retailers,” he continued. “We’re going to try to capitalize on some of the opportunities that are available at the mall and help drive traffic there. If you look in the market right now, the other (south) end of town is where some of the boxes have popped up. They anchor the other end of town and the mall anchors the north end of town.
“We need to see if there are some box opportunities that are not in the area right now,” Ralls continued. “We are fortunate that they are the only theatre in the town right now. We’ll talk with the cinema and see if there are opportunities to maybe add more screens.”
“It’s in a great location at a main intersection in Bowling Green,” said Ralls. We’ve got to capitalize on the entertainment and the student population that are there.”
Ralls said there is a plan of action, and that they are in discussions with some potential businesses. However, he declined to name what stores they are. Instead, he spoke of them in generalities.
“We’re going to go stores that cater to the student population and accumulate some space to accommodate some larger box stores, and contact some businesses who were in the area and see if we can bring them back to the market.”
“Some of these are very big — college-drawn, high school-drawn,” said Warren. “Older people, too. I would shop at these stores.”
Ralls said that this is a slow process, and big changes should not be expected soon.
“It takes a minimum of six to 12 months to begin talks, to go through negotiations, to reaching an agreement to building a store,” he said.
“There’s a huge chain of procedures and protocol that we have to go through,” agreed Warren.
But it’s all part of the task to continue to make the Woodland mall successful.
“It has to do with good ownership,” said Warren. “The owners are determined to fill this mall to capacity. With CB Richard Ellis aboard, they are going after some well-known chains. If any company can do it, CB Richard Ellis can. They’ve been around for many, many years.”

Mall has had six owners
The Woodland Mall has had six owners since it opened May 13, 1987. The following is a list of those owners.
• The Mall Company, Birmingham, Ala., 1987 to 1990
• The Bank of New York, managed by J.J. Gumburg Co., Pittsburgh, 1990 to 1993.
• THF Realty, Inc., St. Louis, Mo., 1993 to 2001
• Green and Prephan, LLC (Al Green and Scott Prephan), local owners, 2001 to 2004
• Woodland Towne Centre, LLC, Eidi Properties, Toledo, 2004 to 2005. The name of the mall was changed to Woodland Towne Centre during this time.
• Woodland Mall Holdings, New York City, 2005 to present.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #704
Bonjourtoledo

Snapshot from the Bridge 8-16-2007

To credit the two sources, these two photos was taken by an anonymous photographer who sent it to our local WTVG 13 ABC local affiliate. The shots was taken from the Hi-Level (Anthony Wayne) Bridge and I thought it looks great. I don't know how this photographer did it, but I certainly couldn't do it at that height. Enjoy them.

Old August 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #705
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

^WOW at those two photos. I've always wanted to ascend the cables, but it looks scary. Is this illegal?
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #706
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
^WOW at those two photos. I've always wanted to ascend the cables, but it looks scary. Is this illegal?
That is why ABC Channel 13 is respecting the photographer as anonymous person, so I have no idea if it's illegal or not. Maybe he's one of the light crew from ODOT?
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #707
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

I had a buddy who lived in the condos that used to be where OC is now. One night we were drunk and climbed the high level bridge(I would guess we were about 19 at the time). Probably not the smartest thing I've done in my life, but it was lots of fun! By the way, it was WAY TOO EASY to get up there(granted that was years ago) without getting caught.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #708
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
I had a buddy who lived in the condos that used to be where OC is now. One night we were drunk and climbed the high level bridge(I would guess we were about 19 at the time). Probably not the smartest thing I've done in my life, but it was lots of fun! By the way, it was WAY TOO EASY to get up there(granted that was years ago) without getting caught.
times 100
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #709
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
I would have been right there with you! Not anymore. But back 14 years ago.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #710
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
I would have been right there with you! Not anymore. But back 14 years ago.
Isn't time for both of you to come on home?
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #711
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Redevelopment Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #712
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Redevelopment Update: Costco

Old August 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #713
Bonjourtoledo

UT Campus Retail Development

This is long overdue for the UT campus area since it lacks nearby retail developments at the UT main campus. Currently, UT main campus population (on-campus only) is nearly 4,000 with 20,000 students being enrolled.

Old August 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #714
Bonjourtoledo

Mud Hens Nondevelopment News

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #715
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Isn't time for both of you to come on home?

Each time I come back, I leave again. Just happens that way.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #716
Bonjourtoledo

Arts District Development 8-22-2007

Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM   #717
Bonjourtoledo

One Seagate Tower News Update 8-22-2007

Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM   #718
Bonjourtoledo

CSX Intermodal Development Project 8-22-2007

Good news to make way for an $80 million project of Intermodal facilities and railyard which will create jobs due to the overload in the Chicago area. It will be located in Henry Township which is the most southwest part of Wood County in the Toledo MSA.

Roads vacated for CSX facility
Posted on BG Sentinel-Tribune website
By JAN LARSON
Sentinel County Editor

The Wood County Commissioners voted Tuesday morning to vacate two roads on the southern edge of the county to make way for a railroad facility that would cost up to $80 million to build.
The commissioners agreed to vacate portions of Potter and Wingston roads in Henry Township at the request of CSX Transportation. To calm the concerns of residents who use those roads, several conditions are being met by the railroad:
• The railroad will cause no acreage to be landlocked in the area, by buying all the affected land between Ohio 18 and the CSX tracks.
• At the request of Henry Township, CSX has agreed to pay for the building of cul-de-sacs at the south ends of Potter and Wingston roads.
• Since the railroad facility will have direct impact on four county ditches, CSX must work with the county engineer’s office to coordinate maintenance of the waterways.
During the public meeting with the county commissioners on Tuesday, some of the neighbors voiced concerns about the two roads being closed, since the nearest detours have bridges with load limits that would prevent them from pulling heavy farm equipment across them.
According to the commissioners, the county engineer stated those bridges with load limits are due to be replaced with structures that will accommodate heavier loads. Those bridges will be constructed before the roads would be vacated.
Concerns were also expressed by local residents about stopped trains blocking crossings. But Wood County Commissioner Jim Carter said CSX officials have made it clear that their goal is to keep the trains moving.
“They don’t want stopped trains,” Carter said. “They are going to do everything they can to keep the trains moving.”
Carter said the roads will not be officially vacated until after CSX has bought all the acreage it needs and has made a commitment to build in Henry Township.
Though CSX has not made a formal announcement that it will build on the 500-acre site between North Baltimore and Hoytville, Tuesday’s road vacation by the county was another step forward in the process, according to Dan Murphy, director of public projects for CSX. The railroad is continuing to work on an environmental review of the site and on drainage issues with the county, he said.
If CSX officials decide to locate the intermodal facility on the Henry Township site, they hope to have all the necessary acreage purchased by the first quarter of 2008, then start construction by mid 2008. The facility will take an estimated 18 to 24 months to build.
“We’d like to be operational in the fourth quarter of 2009 or early 2010,” Murphy said.
The site is expected to employ approximately 100 workers, plus employ up to 300 during the construction period, according to Wade Gottschalk, associate director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission.
The intermodal facility would stretch from Liberty Hi Road on the east to one-quarter mile of Range Line Road on the west. The Henry Township site will work well for the facility since it is on CSX’s main line to the Northeast, according to Gottschalk.
“The trains are on those tracks already,” he said.
An estimated 20 trains will come to the facility each day, where containers will be removed from the trains that originated further west, then be sorted out and put on the appropriate trains headed east to such destinations as Baltimore, Boston and New York City. That container transfer process happens now in the Chicago area, but may take up to two days for the move from one train to another, Gottschalk said.
“They sit there because Chicago is so busy,” he said.
Gottschalk said the containers will be picked off the train with large forklifts and then be moved by truck to long parking strips, where they will be picked up again to be placed on the appropriate trains. The process will be relatively quiet, he said.
“This is not a hump yard, they will not be slamming cars together,” he said.
The facility is expected to create a lot of spin-off development, such as distribution centers, warehouses and industries dependent on rail intermodal services, Murphy said.
“We think this would be a great benefit for Wood County,” Gottschalk said.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:55 AM   #719
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

You seemed to be so dialed in on everything in the city. You should take Marty's job!

Old August 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #720
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Bonjour...I am back in Toledo living in Westgate area.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed with the new Barry's Bagels at Westgate. Everything that made that place a great deli-style shop has been taken away! Oh yeah, and they don't make the World's best chicken salad anymore---I actually used to have my parents send it to me when I lived in Phoenix. Shame on you Barry!
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote