daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #721
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
You seemed to be so dialed in on everything in the city. You should take Marty's job!
Do you mean Carty? Oh...oh...oh...maybe some day but I like where my life is right now.

If I had more time, I would spin off from this site as a full-time blog on Toledo area development news and opinions. It sounds like a good idea to me but maybe or maybe not, we'll see in the near future.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #722
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Bonjour...I am back in Toledo living in Westgate area.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed with the new Barry's Bagels at Westgate. Everything that made that place a great deli-style shop has been taken away! Oh yeah, and they don't make the World's best chicken salad anymore---I actually used to have my parents send it to me when I lived in Phoenix. Shame on you Barry!
Welcome home. I love the Westgate area, I lived there for several years before moving downtown.

Barry Bagels certainly did changed from the old place, and from my understanding keeping up with salad bar and its content is the most expensive operation. But I thought their plasma screen menu board was quite cool.

I'd love to see Whole Foods Market or Trader's Joe move in the space next to Stein Mart.

Also another news to the Westgate area, the former Krispy Kreme store on Secor will be taken over by Del Taco restaurant which is very popular on the west coast. Costco will be opening August 29, 2007, which I anticipate a huge influx of consumers into the area to create a revitalization effect for redeveloping of the former Showcase Cinema and Food Town Plus space. Stay tune......
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #723
Bonjourtoledo

FedEx Expansion Development News

This is speculation at this point as I have posted several posts in regards to this development project which began with city of Toledo mayor accusing Perrysburg Twp/Wood County for "poaching" and "pirating" jobs out of the city. If it comes down to the final decision of location, I am all for keeping jobs and expanding jobs within the region instead of losing the jobs out of the region. Good thing the top 3 choices for locations is all in Ohio which in the past the rumors indicated of moving FedEx to Michigan. The expansion of jobs will go from 600 to 1200 which is very, very good news for this region. I will post any further updates to this project.

FedEx expansion plans
Posted on WTVG website August 24, 2007

Federal Express appears to be close to making a decision concerning its northwest Ohio expansion plans. Of the three local sites under consideration one seems to be the preferred location. The Reynolds Road site in Toledo, the Buck Road site in Wood County and the Toledo Express site in Lucas County are in contention. It appears, this site at the Ampoint Industrial Complex in Wood County has emerged as the prime location. 13abc action news has learned Federal Express has sent site plans to the Wood County engineer, which is the next most serious step in choosing a new location.

Sources tell us that the Federal Express wants to grow into southeast Michigan so access to I-75 is important, which means the site at Toledo Express and the turnpike is not ideal. Expanding their current location at Reynolds Road is not likely, which means Toledo could lose 600 jobs. A source tells us while Federal Express has not made an official announcement, forwarding the site plans to Wood County indicates the company is leaning that way.

A FedEx spokesman told 13abc that all three locations are still under consideration, but access to a major highway like I-75 is valuable. He says FedEx hopes to make a final decision in September.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #724
Bonjourtoledo

Town Center at Levis Commons Development News

I posted two articles in this post in regards to the development news at Levis Commons in Perrysburg. I am encouraged by the growth and expansion of businesses in our region, but I hope the population is growing in the MSA region of Toledo to support the expansion of businesses and influx of new businessess, not so much in taking "piece of the pie" from elsewhere of the region which will cause businesses to close.

Regional businesses find homes at Levis Commons
Posted on BG Sentinel-Tribune website 8-25-2007
By DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Arts & Entertainment Editor

PERRYSBURG — When the Town Center at Levis Commons opened, it rounded up some of the best known names in national retailing.
For its most recent expansion, though, it didn’t need to look that far.
On Friday Larry Dillin, president and CEO of Dillin Corp., the Levis developer, announced new tenants for the Entertainment Annex of the 393-acre development.

The businesses will be located on the western end of the development near the Hilton Inn and Conference Center.
They are:
• St. Julian’s Fitness Center.
• Nagoya Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi.
• Fat Fish Blue, which will include a Funny Bones Comedy Club.

Only Funny Bones, with 16 other locations, is a national franchise.
The others are regional enterprises for whom the Levis projects will be each’s second location.
Nagoya started in Port Clinton. St. Julian’s in Bowling Green. And Fat Fish Blue in Cleveland.
Dillin said that the move to regional retailers was intentional.
The regional shops will bring a new dimension to the Town Center, and help distinguish it from other lifestyle centers.
Last week, Dillin announced the development of Preston Place that will feature local businesses.
He said the company spent two years putting together this package of businesses.

Dillin officials studied each venture carefully, looking at its operations, to make sure it would fit with the Levis project.
Tom St. Julian said the St. Julian’s at Levis would be “a real upscale club” with an emphasis on one-to-one The decor will be like a country club, not a gym, and the amenities will include a cafe and a weight management facility directed by Shirley St. Julian, his wife.

The couple’s son, Shane, will continue to operate the Bowling Green gym.
The location, St. Julian said, is ideal because of both the growth in Perrysburg and because of the facility’s proximity to the hotel.
Steve Zamborsky, the founder of Fat Fish Blue, said the club opened in 1991, and opened to its current downtown spot 10 years ago.
The club features New Orleans cuisine and blues six nights a week.
The Funny Bones club will operate on weekends, Thursday through Sunday.
Fat Fish Blue in Cleveland has hosted such veterans as Koko Taylor and Taj Mahal as well as up-and-coming artist Janiva Magness.
Having a club in Perrysburg will make it easier for both clubs to attract talent, since it enables Zamborsky to book acts traveling from Chicago to New York City.
The club will also bring in performers from Detroit’s blues scene.
The music is not strictly blues, he added.
The venue features blues and world-music, but is open to other edgy music acts.

The comedy club will also attract national acts to the area, Dillin said.
The first of the new ventures to open will be Nagoya, scheduled to start serving Nov. 1. St. Julian’s will open by Jan. 1, and Zamborsky said his club will start operations in spring.
As part of the festivities marking the opening of the Entertainment Annex, the management is inviting people to sign the last beam that will be put in place on Tuesday.

Dillin adds businesses to Levis Commons
By JON CHAVEZ BLADE BUSINESS WRITER
Posted on Toledo Blade website 8-25-2007

In developer Larry Dillin's mind, his Town Center at Levis Commons retail center and adjacent housing complex in Perrysburg are "all about building a great community."

To that end, Mr. Dillin yesterday announced details of a $15 million entertainment annex that will be a key part of his second phase at the already successful Levis Commons, located off of State Rt. 25, just south of the U.S. 23/I-475 interchange.

The new annex's tenants are Nagoya Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi, which features chefs who entertain with knife and spatula tricks while cooking; Fat Fish Blue, a Mardi Gras-themed restaurant that features live blues acts; the Funny Bone, a national comedy club chain with seating for 300 that will be connected to Fat Fish Blue, and St. Julian's Fitness Center, a locally owned upscale fitness center to serve the Levis Commons area and Perrysburg residents.

Mr. Dillin is also constructing an outdoor amphitheater, a seven story, 184-room Hilton Garden Inn with a 25,000-square-foot conference center, more stores, offices, and residential lofts. The second phase will cost $55 million.

The restaurants, comedy club, and fitness center will be open by next spring.

Toledo already has an existing comedy club, Connxtions, on Heatherdowns Boulevard at Reynolds Road, plus plenty of clubs where live music is played. But veteran Toledo entertainment industry executive Kip Diacou, whose clubs feature live rock and country acts, thinks the Levis Commons entertainment annex will be a success.

"Really, there's nothing like that around here," he said. "I don't see why it can't be successful. I think it's a great idea." He said the Toledo market is big enough to support another comedy club and a blues venue. An upscale site like Levis Commons should tap into a market other sites in town can't. "There's nothing for us older people to go to be entertained," he said. "I don't have any place to go to. I would go there."

Fat Fish Blue has a successful location in downtown Cleveland, but owner Steve Zamborsky said Toledo intrigued him and Levis Commons cinched the deal. His restaurant will have live regional and national blues artists six days a week. Promoters like the idea that name acts will be able to play Toledo in between weekend gigs in Chicago or Cleveland, he said. Funny Bone will be connected to Fat Fish Blue, and the restaurant will serve food to the comedy club's patrons.

"When I met [Funny Bone owner] Mitch Kutash, I knew I wanted to team up with him," Mr. Zamborsky said. "We agreed that this really makes sense. Most comedy clubs don't have a real established restaurant connection and it's never been done before. Levis will be the first," he said.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; August 25th, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #725
Bonjourtoledo

National Jeep Ad Showcasing Toledo

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #726
Bonjourtoledo

MLK Jr. Memorial Bridge Redevelopment News

I don't have much to say on this because I am at loss of words and so furious of the so-called possible delays about this historic bridge and IMO it needs to be done period. Without any bullsh_t involved, they need to just GET IT DONE and move on for the love of the Lord!

Gotta love the Blade reporter for writing this article because he love to speculate about the bridge that could or could not be done. This type of tactic usually rattles the residents of community that may be reading this. We know with the constant moaning from about lack of funding to blaming Mother Nature to engineering screw-ups to endless of media overhype to the political games to the citizens groaning, etc, etc, it just doesn't help this project's image or even complete it.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #727
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

Likes (Received): 0

thats very creepy to be on from the passengers seat. looks to be a problem for quite awhile :/
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #728
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post
thats very creepy to be on from the passengers seat. looks to be a problem for quite awhile :/
Not really since I've driven over it almost every day, but for some people maybe. I love this bridge because of it's historical design and location, and I wish they would just finish it if Mother Nature would cooperate for once.
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #729
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment Update

Not surprised here, but this is the time for Dillard's to sell the property to Mr. Dillin so he can proceed the redevelopment plan for Southwyck. Southwyck still has the most viable location in the region but it's being hurt by the ignorant land owners who refuses to keep up with the competition. It's time to move on and let Mr. Dillin do his thing.

Old August 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #730
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Do you mean Carty? Oh...oh...oh...maybe some day but I like where my life is right now.

If I had more time, I would spin off from this site as a full-time blog on Toledo area development news and opinions. It sounds like a good idea to me but maybe or maybe not, we'll see in the near future.
Yeah, sorry. I don't know what I was thinking! Good catch
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #731
Bonjourtoledo

Congrats to Mud Hens 2007!!!!

There are two articles about our beloved team Mud Hens for clinching the West division title as they head to the playoffs.

Mud Hens Win 4-1 - Clinch The IL West Division For the Third Straight Year!!!
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (August 26, 2007)
Posted on Toledo Mud Hens website

The Mud Hens did it again. A 4-1 win at Victory Field in Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon clinched the IL West division for Toledo. The Hens will celebrate and then get geared up for the IL South division winner in the first round of the Governors' Cup playoffs.

Way to go guys!!!

Toledo got on the board first in the 2nd inning when Andres Torres slapped a base hit into right field to bring home Jason Perry.

Erick Almonte upped the lead to 2-0 in the fourth frame when he singled to left and brought home Andrew Graham.

The IL West champs would get some insurance in the sixth inning when Andrew Graham singled home Jason Perry and then Almonte squeezed home Graham with a bunt and the Hens were up 4-0.

The Indians would get a run in the bottom of the sixth but that would be as close as they would get on this day.

RHP Virgil Vasquez (12-5) was brilliant again in the victory as he tossed 7.0 innings and yielded just five hits and one run while striking out five.

Jason Karnuth and Macay McBride held the Tribe in check before Aquilino Lopez came on in the ninth to earn his 24th save of the season.

The Hens will now travel to Louisville to begin a two-game series with the Bats on Monday night. RHP Jordan Tata is the probable starter for Toledo. Tune in to 1470-AM or listen live online at www.minorleaguebaseball.com for all the play-by-play action from Jim Weber.

Notes:
Toledo will play either Durham or Richmond in the first round of the 2007 IL Playoffs...The Hens have won the IL West division four of the past six years...Toledo finished the year with a record of 11-5 against Indianapolis...former Mud Hen, Don Kelly, made the final out of today's game for Indianapolis ...Mike Hessman and Jason Karnuth were the only two players in today's game that were also with Toledo when they won the 2005 Governors' Cup at Victory Field.

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #732
BGFalcon

Not sure why the site at Toledo Express is not ideal because they want access to I-75. A short trip east is I-475 and I-75. They would also have direct access to the turnpike for their triple trailers.

Quote:
Sources tell us that the Federal Express wants to grow into southeast Michigan so access to I-75 is important, which means the site at Toledo Express and the turnpike is not ideal. Expanding their current location at Reynolds Road is not likely, which means Toledo could lose 600 jobs. A source tells us while Federal Express has not made an official announcement, forwarding the site plans to Wood County indicates the company is leaning that way.

A FedEx spokesman told 13abc that all three locations are still under consideration, but access to a major highway like I-75 is valuable. He says FedEx hopes to make a final decision in September.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #733
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
Not sure why the site at Toledo Express is not ideal because they want access to I-75. A short trip east is I-475 and I-75. They would also have direct access to the turnpike for their triple trailers.
I thought that too, but if they want to serve Southeast part of Michigan, then Buck Road at I-75 is more viable. But again, they could expand next to the airport by having air flights coming into Toledo Express, however, they are flying into Metcalf Field from what I understand. They have access to the turnpike from I-75 Buck Road as much as if they were to be by the Toledo Express Airport.

Also keep in mind, they hire college students to handle the distribution labor just like UPS and BAX Global, so my best guess is by having the advantage of I-75 with the proximity to Michigan but they are considering the location next to the campus of Owens State Community College which has over 20,000 students. It's a no-brainer IMO.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #734
BGFalcon

Quote:
I thought that too, but if they want to serve Southeast part of Michigan, then Buck Road at I-75 is more viable. But again, they could expand next to the airport by having air flights coming into Toledo Express, however, they are flying into Metcalf Field from what I understand. They have access to the turnpike from I-75 Buck Road as much as if they were to be by the Toledo Express Airport.

Also keep in mind, they hire college students to handle the distribution labor just like UPS and BAX Global, so my best guess is by having the advantage of I-75 with the proximity to Michigan but they are considering the location next to the campus of Owens State Community College which has over 20,000 students. It's a no-brainer IMO.
That does make sense and there seems to be little doubt that is the way they will go. The Toledo Express site does seem like a good one, however. Maybe DHL will set up shop there. It is waste for it to sit there empty.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #735
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
That does make sense and there seems to be little doubt that is the way they will go. The Toledo Express site does seem like a good one, however. Maybe DHL will set up shop there. It is waste for it to sit there empty.
I would not doubt if FedEx does leave Reynolds Road site (it is one of the three considering sites), it would occupied immediately because of the infrastructure and location of the region. Toledo is one of the most viable location rail-wise, highway-wise and shipping-wise that many companies are now finally realizing.

With the overflow of the Chicago metro, many shipping and distribution companies are looking at the Toledo area, but you could ask why not Detroit metro? IMO, Detroit is located out-of-the-way and it's geographically fragmented away from accessible transportation network. If and when FedEx do leave Reynolds Road, I can see DHL or even an expansion of BAX Global to move in. As a regional standpoint, we have to constantly improve and expand freeways, rails, and shipping to allow companies to move in; and from what I've been observing the past few years they are doing it. But I firmly believe it will pay off in the long run as they realize that Toledo region is a viable and accessible location. Interesting fact that within 500-mile radius of Toledo, we have a population of over 93 million.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #736
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Bakery Building Redevelopment

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #737
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment Update

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #738
Bonjourtoledo

Wood County Hospital Expansion Development

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #739
Bonjourtoledo

Bass Pro Shops Development Update

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #740
Bonjourtoledo

Pardon my dust. Skip this post.