daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #741
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Westgate Redevelopment Update (Costco)

The Westgate Shopping Center redevelopment project is completed now that Costco opened up yesterday with huge success. We will be seeing a ripple effect through the Westgate area of new developments and redevelopments for a long period of time. It's a good thing that Westgate is back and alive.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #742
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Hmmmm

Now if only we can get a whole foods in the area. I would LOVE it if they positioned themself in a more "neighborhood" setting like at the corner of Sylvania/Douglas in the old Food Town building.. knock it down and build a glorious whole foods store, easy access from 75 and to sylvania/monroe/douglas etc..etc.. anyways... Here's to hoping/wishing.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #743
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25 View Post
Now if only we can get a whole foods in the area. I would LOVE it if they positioned themself in a more "neighborhood" setting like at the corner of Sylvania/Douglas in the old Food Town building.. knock it down and build a glorious whole foods store, easy access from 75 and to sylvania/monroe/douglas etc..etc.. anyways... Here's to hoping/wishing.
I agree with you totally, sites of Secor/Executive Parkway (vacant Food Town), Sylvania/Douglas (you've mentioned above), Laskey/Tremainsville (vacant Farmer Jack), and Laskey/Jackman (vacant Cub Foods) are all excellent locations. They have the population density and income to support in all or either of those locations, Giant Eagle, Monnette's, Whole Foods Market, Trader Joe's would do well because the existing food markets in the West Toledo area are overrcrowded that I avoid it like plague.

I do sense that Whole Foods Market is possibly looking at two locations (based on rumbling rumors in the past year from reputable sources): 1) Westgate next to Stein Mart or 2) The proposed expansion of Westfield Franklin Park which are going to be outlots on Sylvania/Royer Road. The apartments in that location have been razed as of today.

But since we live downtown, we usually go to the weekly Farmer's Market, Monet's on Huron Street (different from Monnette's), Kroger on Woodville Road or Suder Avenue depending if we need fuel fill-up.

My wish is: the new Anderson's The Market which is on Sylvania and King Roads, they could expand a second store to be located in the Erie Street Market or the proposed Marina District. They have such great fresh, quality food and selections.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #744
Bonjourtoledo

UT Science & Technology Corridor Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #745
Bonjourtoledo

Arts District Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #746
Bonjourtoledo

Mud Hens Season Attendance Update

Toledo Breaks Single Season Attendance Record!
Posted on the Toledo Mud Hens website on September 2, 2007

New Attendance Record In Toledo!

The Mud Hens break the all-time record for single season in Toledo baseball history for third consecutive season!

For the fourth time in six seasons, the Toledo Mud Hens have broken the record for attendance in a single season for Toledo professional baseball.

The previous attendance record of 569,380 was set in 2006 at Fifth Third Field. This season, the Mud Hens played in front of 590,159 fans.

Toledo has played in front of 35 sold-out crowds during the 2007 season and have sold-out 175 games in the six-year history of the downtown ballpark.

Top Toledo Professional Baseball Attendance Figures
1. 2007 590,159 Fifth Third Field
2. 2006 559,330 Fifth Third Field
3. 2005 556,995 Fifth Third Field
4. 2002 547,204 Fifth Third Field
5. 2004 544,778 Fifth Third Field
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #747
Bonjourtoledo

Metro Retail News Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #748
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Update

Libbey Glass Renews Erie St. Market Lease
City Pursuing Other Businesses
Posted on WSPD 1370 Newsradio website

Libbey Glass has renewed its five-year lease at the Erie Street Market for its factory outlet store. Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner says it's important to keep what he calls the "cornerstone" of the market, as city officials try to bring in other businesses. The mayor calls the market an "incubator" for small operations trying to get their start in business. Market manager Connie Hoffman says the Louisiana Cajun Seafood Company will sign a lease next week. The mayor says he's also in talks for an exercise facility and a bicycle shop to locate at the market.
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #749
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Express Airport Development

Airport Warehouse to Be Built
Start of Industrial Park

A new warehouse is going up next to Toledo Express Airport. But the port authority's Matt Separa calls it the start of a cargo hub that can move goods by plane or trucks on the Ohio Turnpike. The agency plans to develop 350 acres next to the airport. Separa says the port authority has several prospects to lease the warehouse, which will open next spring. At least two more buildings will be constructed in the next few years.

I'm quite interested in who's who is going there once it is built. The location is one of the three consideration for FedEX Grounds to expand their regional business with new job creation of 600.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #750
DougSmith

Likes (Received): 0

I am a former Maumee resident and hopeful supporter of downtown Toledo, now residing in Columbus. The Short North is an awesome area of Columbus - but it has also taken a long time for a lot of the economic development to come to fruition. I think the idea of an arts distict in Downtown Toledo is a good one . . . but it has to have a long term committment behind it for it to be successful. Beyond the updated storefronts and renovated housing in the Short North, new construction has just begun in the last three years with at least 4 projects either completed or near start that are mixed use housing and retail. This is the success indicator for me . .

Last edited by DougSmith; September 4th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
DougSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #751
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Airport Warehouse to Be Built
Start of Industrial Park

A new warehouse is going up next to Toledo Express Airport. But the port authority's Matt Separa calls it the start of a cargo hub that can move goods by plane or trucks on the Ohio Turnpike. The agency plans to develop 350 acres next to the airport. Separa says the port authority has several prospects to lease the warehouse, which will open next spring. At least two more buildings will be constructed in the next few years.

I'm quite interested in who's who is going there once it is built. The location is one of the three consideration for FedEX Grounds to expand their regional business with new job creation of 600.
I don't think it is the same location. The site FedEx is looking at is north of the airport near the Turnpike. The site where the warehouse, and hopefully other development, is going is south of the airport near BAX Global. Cedar Point Development is also planning a warehouse.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #752
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post
I am a former Maumee resident and hopeful supporter of downtown Toledo, now residing in Columbus. The Short North is an awesome area of Columbus - but it has also taken a long time for a lot of the economic development to come to fruition. I think the idea of an arts distict in Downtown Toledo is a good one . . . but it has to have a long term committment behind it for it to be successful. Beyond the updated storefronts and renovated housing in the Short North, new construction has just begun in the last three years with at least 4 projects either completed or near start that are mixed use housing and retail. This is the success indicator for me . .
Welcome Doug! I think it's a great idea and right now there is a cluster of developments and existing arts gallery/studios and such in the proposed Arts Zone area in Toledo (southern portion of downtown to the Warehouse District). It's a matter of time to organize the area and bring in the entrepeneurs, developers and artists to continue the momentum of the area. There are significant residential developments that are being proposed right now a 4-6 unit condominium on Lafayette in between St. Clair and Depot Streeets, and the redevelopment of Triangle Building on Lafayette and Erie Streets a 7-story former warehouse converting to a market-rate loft apartments. However, there are considerable amount of existing residential areas in the Arts Zone that have opened within the past 3-5 years: 1) River West Townhomes, 2) St. Clair Village, 3) Huron Lofts, 4) Bartley Lofts, 5) Commodore Perry, 6) Ottawa Lofts, and 7) The Event Center on Summit/Perry Streets.

It's a matter of time and I agree with you about long-term committment, but it's being shown over and over from the people who have invested heavily in the Warehouse District in the past 10 years and there are more developments on the way. It is such a good thing.
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #753
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
I don't think it is the same location. The site FedEx is looking at is north of the airport near the Turnpike. The site where the warehouse, and hopefully other development, is going is south of the airport near BAX Global. Cedar Point Development is also planning a warehouse.
Thanks for the insight BGFalcon. Hopefully we will see a story published on this development project to give us a clear indication of where it will be located. Also it's a matter of time within this month, FedEx should be making it's final decision of where they will be.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #754
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Amazing

Well I am absolutely exstatic about this Arts Zone. I was driving in downtown today and saw some signs about an Art something or the other, there was a small sign on the corner of monroe st (across from owens corning). I am not sure if that was just referring to Monroe st (because of the art museum)... However...

I have so many ideas for businesses being started in the Downtown area...

If anyone wants to help me get these started I would greatly appreciate any assistance possible.

1. Record Label
2. A top secret concept idea for an entertainment complex
3. Video Game Design Company
4. New Trendy and High Energy Dance clubs (a Gay and Straight club)
5. Fitness Center
6. A School for the Creative Arts for Graphic Design, Music Production, Video Game Design, Film Production, Special Effects etc...

Some of these are HIGH CONCEPT ideas that would require a TON of money to get started, however, these could bring hundreds of jobs to the downtown area and Toledo area.

If i could have only hit the Mega Millions jackpot last week I totally would have invested a lot of that money to revitalizing DTT.

I need a job w/ the city that will help bring businesses and people to Toledo I have soooo many ideas.

Cheers!
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #755
Bonjourtoledo

toledo25, I have several recommendations: you could contact DTI or the Warehouse District which they are the CDC(s) in the central city to get information on economic assistance. Also look up at the Lucas County Economic Development Corp. which is located at the MLK Jr. Union Station or the City of Toledo Economic Development at Government Center. Even the federal program of SBA loans could be the key which you could contact U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur's office at the Maritime Plaza on Water Street. Good luck in your great ideas!
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #756
Bonjourtoledo

St. Pat's Church Steeple Replacement Project

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #757
Bonjourtoledo

Drury Hotel Development: Findlay

Findlay is about 30-35 miles south of Toledo with a population growing over 40,000. It has a Marathon Oil headquarters, Cooper Tires, abundance of national stores, Best Buy Distribution Center, a new Owens Community College Campus, Whirlpool factory, private college Univeristy of Findlay and among other things. It is a growing city due to its low taxes, low unemployment rate in all of Northwest Ohio, conservative lifestyle, and located on the busy I-75 freeway.

Old September 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #758
Bonjourtoledo

CSX Intermodal Development Project Update

Three articles in regards to the CSX Intermodal project with possible spin-offs in the North Baltimore area which is located in between Bowling Green and Findlay along I-75 freeway. This is an update to the previous post last month as they were proposing this mega intermodal project to be a major economic engine.

CSX plan chugs along
By GREGORY L. VAN VORHIS
Sentinel Staff Writer

(Credit to Aaron Carpenter for the map of Sentinel-Tribune)

NORTH BALTIMORE — Though the CSX intermodal rail yard project has not officially been confirmed, all indications are that plans are full steam ahead.
An intermodal rail yard is a location where trains leave the main tracks and pull off on spurs. There, containers will be removed from the trains and sorted out to different trains and semis headed to other locations for delivery.
In October, CSX announced its interest in 500 acres of property between Ohio 18 and the existing railroad tracks between Liberty Hi and Range Line roads. It is a stretch of property that spans two miles.
“We have nearly got all of the property optioned,” said Dan Murphy, director of public projects for CSX. “There are a couple of smaller pieces that we need to obtain and we’re confident we can work with the landowners to accomplish that.”
He also said that the environmental Phase I review of the site has been completed.
Last month, the Wood County Commissioners agreed to vacate portions of Potter and Wingston roads in Henry Township at the request of CSX Transportation. Two bridges with load limits that would prevent area farmers from pulling heavy equipment across them are said to be due to be replaced before the roads would be vacated. ##M:[read more]## The roads will not be officially vacated until after CSX has bought all the acreage it needs and has made a commitment to build.
“We’re working with the local government groups on permitting issues,” Murphy said of the continuing activity. “I guess we’re going through all of the processes. It’s positive. We’ll probably have an official announcement before the end of the year.”
“We’re about where we thought we’d be on schedule,” he continued. “It’s a long process to develop a facility this large. I’d say we’re right on-track so to speak.”
While he would not commit to the project proceeding in Wood County, he did say that “We’re optimistic that this project will go forward in North Baltimore.”
CSX had also announced in October that an alternative site in Indiana was being considered. Asked if similar work toward land acquisition and site preparation was being done there, he gave a simple, one-word answer: “No.”
North Baltimore Council Member Mike Julien said that it is not uncommon to address these types of issues prior to announcing such a project. “Regardless of what happens, the planning needs to be there,” he said.
Wade Gottschalk, associate director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission, said that CSX “haven’t announced for good reason. There are several things that need to be done before they can locate on that site. Those things take a lot of time.”
“These are all of the necessary things that need to come together before we can have an official go on the project,” said Murphy.
“They have closed on one parcel of property” and have options that are due in October and November, according to Henry Township Trustee Ned Casey. “It’s my understanding that they are going to exercise those options.”
Murphy said that the next steps are to acquire the last two pieces of property and “continue the entire due diligence process so we’re ready to go. We’re in the process of designing the facility to greater specificity.”
If the project is given the green light, Murphy said he hopes construction will begin by mid-2008, with operation to begin by the end of 2009 or the first quarter of 2010.
Construction of the $60 to $80 million yard is expected to create 300 jobs, while the finished facility will create an estimated 100 full-time jobs, including trucking jobs.
“CSX wants to use as many Wood County and local business groups as possible throughout the entire process so we can contribute as much to the local economy as possible,” said Murphy. “Northwest Ohio has an infrastructure of construction and engineering that can contribute greatly to this project.”
Casey said that the Henry Township trustees are “going to work with CSX on some of the project such as a noise barrier and landscaping” and the entrance designing.
In January, Casey described himself as being “neutral” about the project. Now he says that he is “definitely in favor of it. I had some reservations to begin with, but I have worked out 95 percent of it. I want to see the final print of the sound barrier and entrance ... Other than that, I believe we have everything else sorted out.”
“In the long run, we hope it will be a plus for our community,” from spin-off businesses in the next few years, he added.
Julien hopes that the public meetings will continue as the project progresses.
“When CSX announces that it is a definite, then I want (more public meetings),” he said. “The public deserves to know how traffic will be affected and (have a say) in the planning.”

CSX spin-offs possible
By GREGORY L. VAN VORHIS
Sentinel Staff Writer

NORTH BALTIMORE — Two spin-off projects are in the discussion stage for southern Wood County, if the proposed CSX intermodal rail yard is built.
North Baltimore council member Mike Julien said representatives from the villages of North Baltimore and Hoytville, along with the trustees of Henry and Jackson townships have talked about creating a joint economic development agreement (JED) and the creation of a joint fire and rescue district.
According to Julien, property owners in a proposed JED area, along with government entities, and 51 percent of business owners (including CSX, if the project is given the green light) must agree to the agreement.
If approved, businesses would pay a tax to the nearest taxing authority. Residents of the district, however, are not affected financially. A percentage of the tax collected would be withheld for infrastructure work, including roads and electrical service.
Wade Gottschalk, associate director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission, said that a JED would not be “forced on anyone. It only captures employment income, not residential. Only people working in the JED are taxed.”
The money generated in the JED would be split between the jurisdictions. Details of such a proposed agreement have not been worked out yet.
Julien said that a JED development district meeting will not even happen until the proposed CSX project is definite.
“We’re still working through the early process, working with CSX trying to get them to sign onto that,” said Gottschalk. “The other communities are involved know about the idea. We have had some meetings with them. The feedback has been positive.”
“We’re pursuing inquiring into that and hopefully can work with local groups with that and ensure the best economic development for this project,” said Dan Murphy, director of public projects for CSX.
Henry Township Trustee Ned Casey said the trustees have talked about the JED “briefly. It’s barely getting started. There’s been no serious negotiations at this time. We’re all aware of it and fully informed of it. We’re looking at it.”
“That would be a good thing for both the village and the township,” said Henry Township Trustee Tom Gazarek. “That’s a big chunk of money that would go into roads or the emergency system.”
The emergency system, or the joint fire and rescue district, has been discussed as having two locations built at the same time.
Julien said that there has been talk of one being in North Baltimore, and a second being constructed possibly in the area of Ohio 18 and Interstate 75.
“We can jump on I-75 (and get past the tracks),” said Julien, explaining that it will address concerns voiced by area residents that increased train and truck traffic may impede emergency response.
He said the other would be built “wherever the overpass is located, either Range Line or Liberty Hi roads. “Those are the two roads that are being discussed for the location of an overpass.”
“We want to put this at the west end of (North Baltimore) near the facility” to get more people from the area to staff it, said Casey. “So far, everybody has been on the same page.”
“CSX has made it clear that they will not pay for a complete additional facility, but he (Murphy) has been open to sharing in the cost of that,” said Julien. “He has asked several times about costs.”
Murphy confirmed his involvement in this discussion, saying that “CSX is committed to contributing to the development of an emergency response facility.”
Creation of a joint fire and rescue district would require a public vote.
The grade separation, or overpass, Julien referred to, was confirmed by Murphy.
“We’ve had a meeting and preliminary discussions with ODOT (the Ohio Department of Transportation), but other than that, I’m not sure what ODOT may be doing. I think what’s really needed right now is the final go-ahead that the facility will really happen, and ODOT will kick into gear and start the planning process.”
Another road change that has been mentioned is the rerouting of Route 18, along which the proposed facility is located. In fact, the rerouting project was listed as item 12 in the listing of “priority projects” released by the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments (TMACOG).
Casey and Gazarek both said that such a rerouting project would not happen any time soon.
“It’s going to depend on the traffic and they won’t know what that will be until the (facility) is up and running for quite a while,” said Casey.
Julien said he was surprised to see the project included on the report.
“We’ve been members more than 30 years. They didn’t even inform us of an intent to provide a solution for diverting truck traffic,” he said. “In meetings, they told us they should have told us they were going to put it on a list of likely-funded projects.”
“They basically said that they had shot from the hip and didn’t do their homework,” Julien continued. “It was them putting it on paper so if it was decided that (the CSX project) would happen, the paper trail was there to support it.”
Mike Ligibel, spokesman for ODOT, said that while it might have been on the TMACOG report, ODOT has not received any official request to reroute the state highway.

Incentives offered to lure rail yard
By GREGORY L. VAN VORHIS
Sentinel Staff Writer

NORTH BALTIMORE — Several incentives have been offered to lure CSX to Wood County.
In an e-mail from Stu Nicholson, the public information officer for the Ohio Rail Development Commission, “ORDC has committed to $5 million for a grade separation project to eliminate a grade crossing and allow vehicular traffic to be carried over the railroad with an overpass. This, of course, is pending any environmental reviews that would identify the need for a grade separation.
“We have also committed to a $100,000 grant which would go toward the purchase of equipment; in all likelihood a “lift” vehicle which lifts containers on and off rail cars and trucks.”
There are also questions about incentives flowing the other direction — from CSX to local officials. For years, North Baltimore officials have struggled to get CSX to respond to requests to clean up their property and make improvements to the depot downtown.
Since the intermodal rail yard was announced in October, that work is now being done.
Dan Murphy, director of public projects for CSX, insists that the work is not being done to gain support for the project from area officials.
“It’s a new emphasis that CSX not only in Ohio but in our district, work better with communities to address their concerns,” he said. “Certainly as we go into a community to development like this, we become more aware of their needs and concerns and there is naturally an increased awareness and involvement. It’s just natural when you go into a community you become more aware of the needs of a community.
“As we become a greater part of a local community and have a greater presence, we’ll be able to react more quickly to address local concerns,” he continued. “It should pay long-term dividends and benefits to the local area.”
Ken Uhlenhake, who owns property that the railroad is trying to buy, however, takes issue with that statement.
“Murphy made a big deal that he was the one who had to take money out of his budget to paint the depot for the festival,” said Uhlenhake. “It should have come out of the repair budget. To me, that’s a negative, because after he’s gone, we have to deal with the real CSX.”
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #759
Bonjourtoledo

Pretty weak picture of the proposed plaza nearby the under-constructed Bass Pro Shops in Rossford. I'd rather see more high-density residential development in this area to support the retail economy of this area and to enhance a neighborhood "feel" instead of being saturated with big box stores and abundance of parking lots. There's only so many trees and flowers you can cover but enough is enough, do some smart-growth planning!

New shopping plaza in Crossroads receives approval
Posted on Rossford Record Journal website

The first phase of a shopping plaza to be located behind the Giant Eagle grocery store received approval from the Rossford Planning Commission last week.
Jerry Miller, vice president of Miller Diversified, presented a site plan for the Promenade South Retail at Meridian Plaza project at the August 23 meeting.
The development at 27250 Crossroads Parkway will be built on six acres immediately north of Giant Eagle, he said.
The plan shows an L-shaped complex that initially will house as many as five retail businesses and have 199 parking spaces.
Phase one of the project features construction of a building with about 12,000 square feet of space, Mr. Miller explained.
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #760
nickw311

Just what we need... Another strip mall surrounded by a parking lot
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote