daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #761
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Just what we need... Another strip mall surrounded by a parking lot
It would be more attractive if the stores were upfront to the main road and put the parking lot behind it. I would think it makes sense by making it more inviting beyond private vehicles such as pedestrian, biking, and transit, but all in all, it shows you that the developers and the planning of Rossford/Wood County are simply lazy.

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #762
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Can i just say I am HATING all of these open air malls why cant we come up with something that is more community driven and more of a "complex" of living/working/playing in. All of these open air malls are just glorified strip malls. And the one thing toledo doesnt need more of is more strip malls..... oh and restaurants. Anyways, carry on Exciting news about the church finally getting its steeple. That is a beautiful church inside.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #763
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Project Development

Yeah Baby!!!! I love it, love it, love it, aaaaand love it!

Here is the actual link to the new downtown arena with bells & whistles baby:

http://lucascountyarena.com/
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #764
Bonjourtoledo

Holy Toledo! New Proposed Downtown Arena

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5#post15287465

Go to the link which takes you to the Sticky Thread of Toledo Developments in regards to the actual website of the new proposed downtown arena which open in Fall of 2009. The website has all the bells and whistles with real-time cam on the construction and renderings of the arena.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #765
Bonjourtoledo

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #766
Bonjourtoledo

I've posted an online article that was posted today after the 10am press conference of the downtown development of a new arena with an extra picture in the Sticky thread of Toledo development forum.

Here is the link again: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...240455&page=39
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #767
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

HOLY TOLEDO!
Thats amazing!
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #768
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Any word on what the capacity would be? From the renderings it looks like it might be similar, or a bit larger than, the Resch Center arena that openend a couple years ago here in Green Bay. Looks very nice, way to go!
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #769
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
Any word on what the capacity would be? From the renderings it looks like it might be similar, or a bit larger than, the Resch Center arena that openend a couple years ago here in Green Bay. Looks very nice, way to go!
From my understanding, it will be 9,000 seating for basketball, arena football and hockey, then for concerts and others will be 12,000.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #770
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

w00t

Fantastic design! Hope it goes a little more "modern" when the final design is complete... however.. this arena is going to be amazingly terrific. Can't wait to see some shows in it!!!!
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #771
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Completely satisfied with whats on the drawing. Maybe some glass sections on the roof so you can see up to the sky or view the skyline from your seat?
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #772
Bonjourtoledo

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #773
Bonjourtoledo

Design Perspective Article 9-11-2007

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post15305382

In this morning's article, it explores the design perspective and how it will mesh in with the surrounding architecture of downtown. The link will take you to the Sticky Thread of Toledo Development forum.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #774
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

FYI, It is very confusing when you start a new thread that is a link to another thread.

Question. Is the arena going to require the teardown of any of those great loft buildings in the warehouse district? Also could someone post a birdseye view map or plot of the street grid pertaining to the new arena?

Thanks
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #775
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
From my understanding, it will be 9,000 seating for basketball, arena football and hockey, then for concerts and others will be 12,000.
Sounds very similar to the Resch Center. If it's 9,000 for basketball, expect it to hold fewer for hockey, as the playing surface is so much larger. For example, the Resch holds about 11,500 for concerts, 9,729 for basketball, and about 8,000 for hockey (and I'd imagine the Arena Football 2 team).
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #776
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Here's A Quick Question

How does Toledo's urbanity compare to say Indianapolis? I've never been there but from what i've seen i am quite surprised. Especially all the older buildings you seem to have. So may some perhaps answer that for me? It would especially help if you've been to Indy yourself. Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #777
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
How does Toledo's urbanity compare to say Indianapolis? I've never been there but from what i've seen i am quite surprised. Especially all the older buildings you seem to have. So may some perhaps answer that for me? It would especially help if you've been to Indy yourself. Thanks!
I just moved from suburban Indy to a small town near Toledo, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the setting and physical setting of downtown Toledo. The area between the new I-280 bridge to the Anthony Wayne suspension bridge is really amazing for a city its size. The bridges, the new Corning (?) headquarters along the river, the existing parks and boating recreation opportunities here mean that downtown Toledo has a much better setting to work with than Indy. Unlike Indy, Toledo is a shrinking city and a barely growing metro area - like old Indy, Toledo has lost about 90,000 people since the 1960s.

Like Indy, Toledo has lost a lot of its historic core, and it has not recovered its commercial vitality, despite some attempts with Portside. Indy has a thirty-year headstart on downtown revitalization, but the amount of public and private funds flowing into Indy cannot be matched in Toledo - it is the fourth largest city in Ohio, and perhaps the sixth largest metro area - most of what will be corralled here will have to come locally and regionally, especially given the tight Ohio economy. The recent attempts to reestablish sports and concert facilities right in the center of town is a welcome change. Improved hotels will also help. However, many of the large old downtown buildings are empty or nearly so, and outside of the arena areas, there is very little activity after business hours. Toledo has a long way to go, but its existing assets and current investments bode well for its recovery.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #778
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
FYI, It is very confusing when you start a new thread that is a link to another thread.

Question. Is the arena going to require the teardown of any of those great loft buildings in the warehouse district? Also could someone post a birdseye view map or plot of the street grid pertaining to the new arena?

Thanks

Thanks for the FYI but if you continue to click on the links, it will lead you there. My purpose was to attract newcomers to the Arena Thread and integrate it into the Toledo Development Sticky Thread.

The only thing that they are tearing down or have already torn down is the : Subway restaurant, Bijou Theatre, Golden Lily Restaurant, vacant of Superior Street in between Jefferson/Madison Streets, and a row of storeftront old buildings along Huron and the rest of the two blocks is surface parking. They were very careful of where they wanted to place the new arena due to historic buildings and to figure the area with least amount of demolitions.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #779
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
Sounds very similar to the Resch Center. If it's 9,000 for basketball, expect it to hold fewer for hockey, as the playing surface is so much larger. For example, the Resch holds about 11,500 for concerts, 9,729 for basketball, and about 8,000 for hockey (and I'd imagine the Arena Football 2 team).
The non-profit organization which is overseen by the county owns the famous AAA Toledo Mud Hens, earlier this year they had bought a ECHL Hockey team (Toledo Storms), and they are currently seeking a NBA Development team and an Arena Football team. At least we don't have to deal with a private owner who perhaps would threat to leave if money is not raised for their profits and the game revenue of Mud Hens and Storms would stay locally.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #780
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
I just moved from suburban Indy to a small town near Toledo, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the setting and physical setting of downtown Toledo. The area between the new I-280 bridge to the Anthony Wayne suspension bridge is really amazing for a city its size. The bridges, the new Corning (?) headquarters along the river, the existing parks and boating recreation opportunities here mean that downtown Toledo has a much better setting to work with than Indy. Unlike Indy, Toledo is a shrinking city and a barely growing metro area - like old Indy, Toledo has lost about 90,000 people since the 1960s.

Like Indy, Toledo has lost a lot of its historic core, and it has not recovered its commercial vitality, despite some attempts with Portside. Indy has a thirty-year headstart on downtown revitalization, but the amount of public and private funds flowing into Indy cannot be matched in Toledo - it is the fourth largest city in Ohio, and perhaps the sixth largest metro area - most of what will be corralled here will have to come locally and regionally, especially given the tight Ohio economy. The recent attempts to reestablish sports and concert facilities right in the center of town is a welcome change. Improved hotels will also help. However, many of the large old downtown buildings are empty or nearly so, and outside of the arena areas, there is very little activity after business hours. Toledo has a long way to go, but its existing assets and current investments bode well for its recovery.
I would second most of what cjfjapan mentioned above. But however, the only two buildings around the arena that I know of are empty are Fiberglass Tower on St. Clair/Jefferson and Madison Building on Huron/Madison. They are both for sale and ripe for major job market to move in or expand into. The Lake Erie Center on Huron/Jefferson, Ohio Building on Madison/Superior, National City Bank Building on Madison/St. Clair, Western Union Building on Jefferson/Huron, Commodore Perry on Jefferson/Superior, Hotel Secor on Jefferson/Superior, Gardner Building on Superior/Madison, and Spitzer Building on Madison/Huron which surrounds the entire proposed arena are either full or almost full with mixed establishments (commercial, retail, residential, arts studio, education, law firms, misc. firms, etc, etc, etc).

Coming soon with the near completion of MLK Jr. Bridge, the Marina District, downtown arena, Water Street Steam Plant Lofts, Triangle Building Lofts, Swan Creek distribution/headquarters, redeveloped Promenade Park, ongoing redevelopments of the Warehouse District and Uptown District, Old Wonderly Bread Plant Lofts, TARTA/TARPS Paratransit Facility, Downtown Metroparks, and many more in the central city will give a huge boost in the long run for Toledo for many years ahead.