daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #781
Pilliod Njaim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 947
Likes (Received): 2

1. Record Label
2. A top secret concept idea for an entertainment complex
3. Video Game Design Company
4. New Trendy and High Energy Dance clubs (a Gay and Straight club)
5. Fitness Center
6. A School for the Creative Arts for Graphic Design, Music Production, Video Game Design, Film Production, Special Effects etc...


I got news for ya, Toledo already has a record label (actually more than one label). Toledo's Doghouse Records includes Meg & Dia, All-American Rejects, Get-Up Kids, etc.

Number 6 will never happen (other than what's at the Toledo School for the Arts, which is one of the top charter high schools in America). The reason for this is simple. Only one good school like you describe exists in all of the Midwest, and that's Ohio University's Scripps College of Communication. All the top Video Production, Music Production, Photography, Journalism, Film, Graphic Design, Computer Animation and Video Game programs in the Midwest are at Ohio University. Bowling Green has the second best such programs in Ohio (though, it's FAR behind OU). Toledo is not about to compete with that. None of the major cities can. Athens beat them to the punch and OU is untouchable as far as Midwestern schools go. The producer of Sublime, Long Beach Dub All-Stars, and Pennywise teaches audio production at OU. The creator of "Scrubs" went to OU. The animator for "Chronicles of Narnia" is a professor there. Tons of Emmy Awards have been won by faculty and students. The Film school also is internationally-acclaimed and holds Ohio's best festival. "How Ohio Pulled It Off" and "The Guatemalan Handshake" were made by OU students. Then there's Matt Lauer too.

I go to OU, and it's completely unmatched in Ohio. The Video Production, Journalism, Photography, and Film majors blow everything in Ohio clear out of the water. Lots of students from Chicago, Pittsburgh, and DC come to OU just for the video and audio production. It's one of the largest Tcom schools in the world, and also holds the top journalism and advertising programs in the Midwest. None of the large urban schools in Ohio (Toledo, OSU, Cincinnati) have anything remotely comparable. OU is well-known as a HUGE party school (also pretty unmatched in that category), but its Communication and Film students are serious about their work.

Number 4 should happen soon. There are some good clubs/bars in downtown Toledo, but most are hip-hop and rock clubs. With the birthplace of techno 55 miles away (Detroit), there is no reason Toledo should be lacking in techno/electronica clubs. Toledo's scene has always traditionally been hip-hop, hard rock, and punk. Jazz also has a good showing, and Murphy's is one of the best jazz clubs in America, period. I do wish Toledo had more techno though. It's right by Detroit.

I just moved from suburban Indy to a small town near Toledo, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with the setting and physical setting of downtown Toledo. The area between the new I-280 bridge to the Anthony Wayne suspension bridge is really amazing for a city its size. The bridges, the new Corning (?) headquarters along the river, the existing parks and boating recreation opportunities here mean that downtown Toledo has a much better setting to work with than Indy.

I agree. Toledo's has a great core with awesome architecture, and very good geography. Plus, there's no highway running along the river like in most cities! Waterfront access in Toledo is great, and improves by the day. It's very maritime, and it feels a lot bigger than it's metro/market size would lead you to believe. Its media market (DMA) is about 850,000 people, but I've been to cities with 2 million people that felt smaller.

Toledo's also has lots of diversity with Ohio's highest concentration of Arabs, Mexicans, and Poles. I've always been a fan of the Toledo's food, culture, women (there are a lot of hot chicks in Toledo), local music, art museum, zoo, independent stores, etc. And Toledo's got Muddy the Mud Hen. You can't hate on that.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; September 15th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #782
Pilliod Njaim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 947
Likes (Received): 2

Wow, those new arena renderings look ten times better than what we saw earlier in the summer. I'm glad they made the brick red, and I hope they keep a decent amount of glass.

However, I really was hoping Toledo would build a Maple Leaf Garden (Toronto) type hockey arena. It's in an area with lots of great historic architecture, and it'd be cool if it blended into the old office buildings (kind of like how the Hen House blends in with the warehouses).
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #783
Pilliod Njaim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 947
Likes (Received): 2

Man, the Bass Pro Shop renderings look like ass. How sprawltastic. Maybe it's best they didn't come to the Marina District with their disgusting surface lots and all. The Marina District needs to be urban, not suburban.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #784
Pilliod Njaim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 947
Likes (Received): 2

From my understanding, it will be 9,000 seating for basketball, arena football and hockey, then for concerts and others will be 12,000.

I was informed 10,000 for hockey (a little more for basketball) and up to 14,000 for concerts. It actually will be just a little larger than the renovated Savage Hall at UT.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #785
jpIllInoIs
Registered User
 
jpIllInoIs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
I would second most of what cjfjapan mentioned above. But however, the only two buildings around the arena that I know of are empty are Fiberglass Tower on St. Clair/Jefferson and Madison Building on Huron/Madison. They are both for sale and ripe for major job market to move in or expand into. The Lake Erie Center on Huron/Jefferson, Ohio Building on Madison/Superior, National City Bank Building on Madison/St. Clair, Western Union Building on Jefferson/Huron, Commodore Perry on Jefferson/Superior, Hotel Secor on Jefferson/Superior, Gardner Building on Superior/Madison, and Spitzer Building on Madison/Huron which surrounds the entire proposed arena are either full or almost full with mixed establishments (commercial, retail, residential, arts studio, education, law firms, misc. firms, etc, etc, etc).

Well, Bonjour this is a litle bit on the glossy side. The fact that the Fiberglass Tower is the 2nd tallest building at 30 storeys and is completely vacant is significant. Also with 5/3 moving to Seagate, that will leave the old Madsion street HQ with a HUGE vacancy. And to describe the Spitzer as full or nearly full is also a reach since most of retail is vacant. In fact with Owens/Illinois moving to Perrysburg, the building vacancy in DT Toledo is a major issue, and is the catallyst for the conversion to residential.

Here is a report fromn the Blade
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ESS05/70505027

Office 'musical chairs' creates vacancies in downtown Toledo

Rental experts are closely watching the situation at One SeaGate as a result of the pending departure of prime tenant Owens-Illinois Inc.
Vacancy rates for prime buildings are not bad, he said, although the signature 32-story One SeaGate will still have more than 175,000 square feet empty once Fifth Third Bank moves its headquarters to the tower on the riverfront.

Plus, another prime office building called Four Seagate is more than 40 percent vacant, with 95,000 square feet empty.

Those and other prime offices downtown rent for $16 to $20 a square foot per year.

Marty Gallagher, an office specialist with Toledo’s Michael Realty Co., said the problem is that downtown office space in Toledo is a no-growth market.
“The suburbs and downtown usually experience the same problems. When one makes a nice gain, the other loses.”

Overall at the end of last year, the vacancy rate for downtown Toledo offices was 20.4 percent, up from 16 percent thecent, up from 16 percent the year before and the highest in three years, according to a CB Richard Ellis report.

Those rates don't include the former Fiberglas Tower, which has been vacant for nearly a decade and which many real estate professionals have written off as not rentable.

When UBS moves out of One SeaGate this year and before Fifth Third moves in, the tower’s vacancy rate will soar again to much more than 50 percent.

Four SeaGate 224,000 sq. ft. 42% vacant rent: $18.50/sq. ft.

Other prime office space downtown includes One Maritime Plaza, with a 12 percent vacancy rate, and Edison Plaza, 10 percent vacant.

Empty space in prime offices gathers attention. Allowing One SeaGate to become more than half-empty, as it is now, makes it hard for downtown overall, experts said.

To head that off, the city allocated $75,000 in cash incentives to attract businesses to One SeaGate’s ground floor, which once was lined with restaurants, stores, and services. It also gave cash incentives to four tenants upstairs for renewing leases.

In what is considered second-tier office space downtown, vacancy rates are higher. The long-empty Fiberglas Tower, with nearly 400,000 square feet, is considered unfit for renting. The Louisville Building is 47 percent vacant, One Lake Erie Center is 35 percent vacant, and Fifth Third Center will have at least 50 percent vacancy when the bank moves this year to One SeaGate, the Michael Realty report shows.

“I’m not going to lead you to believe it’s a wonderful environment downtown. But overall it’s good downtown,” said developer Dave Ball, owner of the Ohio, Woolworth, and Hylant Group buildings.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #786
cjfjapan
Registered User
 
cjfjapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,261
Likes (Received): 131

I had read here and elsewhere that Fiberglass tower is completely empty, and just walking around I got the sense that other buildings were less than full. Part of that was the empty feeling on the streets on weekends. I havent spent much time there - in part because I didnt feel there was much to do, or even many places just to hang out with other people.

It might be wise to start thinking of UT and BGSU as a pair - and think of the opportunities BGSU has as part of Toledo. Im saying this because there is talk of combining a lot of their programs under Fingerhut's new University System of Ohio. Though I doubt it will happen, there is even talk of creating a "new" two-campus University of Northwest Ohio. I don't think that name would fly, but in a way its exciting to think of Toledo having one 45,000 student university with urban and suburban campuses. Owens and the other community colleges are really cutting into the traditional 4-year market.

While the board is so active, let me ask - is there a small, urban commercial strip in Toledo? Not necessarily downtown, but Ive been looking around for one of those old, intact neighborhood commercial strips. Are there any in Toledo? The few that I've seen so far - maybe Five Points? - seemed dead or just starting to revive. Any really active ones?
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #787
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Well, Bonjour this is a litle bit on the glossy side. The fact that the Fiberglass Tower is the 2nd tallest building at 30 storeys and is completely vacant is significant. Also with 5/3 moving to Seagate, that will leave the old Madsion street HQ with a HUGE vacancy. And to describe the Spitzer as full or nearly full is also a reach since most of retail is vacant. In fact with Owens/Illinois moving to Perrysburg, the building vacancy in DT Toledo is a major issue, and is the catallyst for the conversion to residential.

Here is a report fromn the Blade
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ESS05/70505027

Office 'musical chairs' creates vacancies in downtown Toledo

Rental experts are closely watching the situation at One SeaGate as a result of the pending departure of prime tenant Owens-Illinois Inc.
Vacancy rates for prime buildings are not bad, he said, although the signature 32-story One SeaGate will still have more than 175,000 square feet empty once Fifth Third Bank moves its headquarters to the tower on the riverfront.

Plus, another prime office building called Four Seagate is more than 40 percent vacant, with 95,000 square feet empty.

Those and other prime offices downtown rent for $16 to $20 a square foot per year.

Marty Gallagher, an office specialist with Toledo’s Michael Realty Co., said the problem is that downtown office space in Toledo is a no-growth market.
“The suburbs and downtown usually experience the same problems. When one makes a nice gain, the other loses.”

Overall at the end of last year, the vacancy rate for downtown Toledo offices was 20.4 percent, up from 16 percent thecent, up from 16 percent the year before and the highest in three years, according to a CB Richard Ellis report.

Those rates don't include the former Fiberglas Tower, which has been vacant for nearly a decade and which many real estate professionals have written off as not rentable.

When UBS moves out of One SeaGate this year and before Fifth Third moves in, the tower’s vacancy rate will soar again to much more than 50 percent.

Four SeaGate 224,000 sq. ft. 42% vacant rent: $18.50/sq. ft.

Other prime office space downtown includes One Maritime Plaza, with a 12 percent vacancy rate, and Edison Plaza, 10 percent vacant.

Empty space in prime offices gathers attention. Allowing One SeaGate to become more than half-empty, as it is now, makes it hard for downtown overall, experts said.

To head that off, the city allocated $75,000 in cash incentives to attract businesses to One SeaGate’s ground floor, which once was lined with restaurants, stores, and services. It also gave cash incentives to four tenants upstairs for renewing leases.

In what is considered second-tier office space downtown, vacancy rates are higher. The long-empty Fiberglas Tower, with nearly 400,000 square feet, is considered unfit for renting. The Louisville Building is 47 percent vacant, One Lake Erie Center is 35 percent vacant, and Fifth Third Center will have at least 50 percent vacancy when the bank moves this year to One SeaGate, the Michael Realty report shows.

“I’m not going to lead you to believe it’s a wonderful environment downtown. But overall it’s good downtown,” said developer Dave Ball, owner of the Ohio, Woolworth, and Hylant Group buildings.
jpIllinoIs, I posted this article in this thread back in May. I'm not disputing the "theme" of vacancy in downtown but Toledo Blade is not the most accurate paper even on their good days. So I appreciate the reporting that the Blade covers, but I always stay subjective about their reporting (same goes for all medias) because they are not necessarily non-bias or have a good record in covering all sides of the story.

I live and work in downtown so I'm quite familiar of the developments and activities. The Blade did not cover all the facts of the shifting of corporation from one building to the next as it allows existing tenants to expand.

The Fifth Third Center is 17 floors and 5/3 regional bank offices only occupies 7 of those floors which leaves 10 floors of mixed offices that are occupied with law firms, financial firms and etc. The 5/3 Bank will still keep their retail banking on the first floor as they will expand another retail banking on the concourse of One Seagate Tower. The vacancy opportunity of 7 floors in Fifth Third Center will open opportunities for existing businesses to expand and new businesses to relocate since the building is in excellent condition.

Spitzer is full yet their retail first floor is spotty yet there are ample of opportunity to open small businesses. Quizno's, Madison Bistro, and some floral shop has opened up in the last few years. Subway's old location was demolished for the new arena, they will be opening at the vacant building at the corner of Superior and Adams across from the Valentine Theatre. Another business which is the Libbey Glass Corporate store and it was demolished to make way for the new arena, will be relocated to a space on St. Clair and Adams across from HCR Manor world headquarters.

With 5/3 regional office moving into One Seagate Tower with 50 financial advisors from Sylvania joining them as well will occupy 8 floors, what the Blade has failed to report even though UBS is moving to Sylvania, the other existing firms in One Seagate is expanding and they've gained new tenants as well. This is something that the Blade does not like reporting because they'd rather report on something about a corporate company to expand thousands of jobs instead of 50 or 60 here and there. I think generating new jobs at a scale of 10-100 is wonderful considering the globalization economy and the sluggish economy across the country.

One Erie Center, Ohio Building, National City Bank tower, and all the buildings around the new arena are nearly full or full, and I will vouch for that. Yes, the Fiberglass Tower and Madison building is vacant but I always say..."when one door closes, there's another door opening.." I see a viable bright future because with the addition of Seagate Convention Center in 1985, the Erie Street Market in 1996, Fifth Third Field in 2002, the Marina District currently coming along and now the downtown arena for 2009, which they all have and will transform downtown in many ways. Residential developments are in full swing as it will build the retail scenes and support existing restaurants as well as opening new ones.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #788
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Man, the Bass Pro Shop renderings look like ass. How sprawltastic. Maybe it's best they didn't come to the Marina District with their disgusting surface lots and all. The Marina District needs to be urban, not suburban.
I agree with you about the sprawlish development of the Bass Pro Shops, however, I don't believe the Marina District will be suburban setting, it will be very urban and integrated with the existing nearby Garfield neighborhood which is on the north side of Waite High School.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #789
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
I had read here and elsewhere that Fiberglass tower is completely empty, and just walking around I got the sense that other buildings were less than full. Part of that was the empty feeling on the streets on weekends. I havent spent much time there - in part because I didnt feel there was much to do, or even many places just to hang out with other people.

It might be wise to start thinking of UT and BGSU as a pair - and think of the opportunities BGSU has as part of Toledo. Im saying this because there is talk of combining a lot of their programs under Fingerhut's new University System of Ohio. Though I doubt it will happen, there is even talk of creating a "new" two-campus University of Northwest Ohio. I don't think that name would fly, but in a way its exciting to think of Toledo having one 45,000 student university with urban and suburban campuses. Owens and the other community colleges are really cutting into the traditional 4-year market.

While the board is so active, let me ask - is there a small, urban commercial strip in Toledo? Not necessarily downtown, but Ive been looking around for one of those old, intact neighborhood commercial strips. Are there any in Toledo? The few that I've seen so far - maybe Five Points? - seemed dead or just starting to revive. Any really active ones?

cjfjapan, I understand your feeling about downtown when there's an empty feeling but it's truely eye-opening experience for me after I moved to downtown a few years back realizing that is not the case at all. From the weekend festivals, boating, The Docks, Adams Street restaurant corridor, Farmer's Market, Warehouse District activities, Promenade Park, Oliver House activity, COSi (it may look dead on the outside but check it out once you are inside, it is a mad-house with screaming kids), downtown library opens on weekends, Oak Openings trail park along the river by OC heaquarters, etc, etc...I found quite a bit of activities (depending on the season) after living so long down here and I was just in your position of thought of "empty feeling"...I'm wrong.

Some of the areas with small, urban commercial strip (which will have abundance of old, gorgeous buildings) in Toledo (outside of downtown) you should check out:

1) Five Points area which starts from Phillips/Detroit intersection along Haverhill to Sylvania Avenue corridor to Secor Road (longest commercial strip in the region, IMO)

2) Point Place area which starts 101st Street to 131st Street along the Summit Street corrdior

3) River East area which starts Front/Main intersection to E. Broadway/Starr Avenue intersection

4) Old South Toledo which starts Broadway/Segur intersection along Broadway to Prouty Avenue

5) Lagrange area which starts Lagrange/Manhattan intersection along Lagrange to E. Delaware Avenue

6) Harvard Terrace which starts Glendale/Anthony Wayne Trail interesection for about 2 blocks east toward Abbott Avenue

7) Pickford Neighborhood which is about 2 blocks along S. Detroit Avenue at Medford Drive

8) Highland Park Neighborhood which is about 2-3 blocks at South and Spencer Street intersection

9) Old West End Neighborhood at the intersections of Collingwood and Delaware
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #790
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

SSOE Inc. Developments

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #791
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Downtown Arena Project Development

Here are today's (9-14 at 10:20a.m.) real-time camera shot of the continuation of demolitions to make way for the new downtown arena:

Credit to Buckeye Cablesystem Live Webcam


Facing west from top of the Secor Hotel Building on Jefferson Avenue:


Facing south from top of the Ohio Building on Madison Street:
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #792
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Sylvania Enhancements Development Project

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #793
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Bedford Twp Gov't Center Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 26th, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #794
BGFalcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 52
Likes (Received): 0

Bedford

It was pretty ridiculous that Bedford is considered in the Detroit Metro. It is clearly Toledo Metro and not having makes the Toledo Area seem smaller. It be like saying Maumee was not in the Toledo metro area.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #795
BGFalcon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 52
Likes (Received): 0

FedEx

According to Channel 13, FedEx has delayed their decision on whether to move to Wood County or not. I wonder if this means they are looking at other sites (i.e. near Toledo Express) or if they are just hoping things will cool off. Hopefully it doesn't mean they are thinking of moving out of the Toledo Metro area entirely.


http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=5656749
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #796
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
According to Channel 13, FedEx has delayed their decision on whether to move to Wood County or not. I wonder if this means they are looking at other sites (i.e. near Toledo Express) or if they are just hoping things will cool off. Hopefully it doesn't mean they are thinking of moving out of the Toledo Metro area entirely.


http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=5656749
I saw the story too, but I feel it's all pure speculation knowingly that Fed Ex will more than likely either stay on Reynolds Road with the expansion or simply move to Buck Road in Perrysburg Township. Other media has said, that there will be a tax-sharing agreement with Toledo and Perrysburg Township, 13abc is very good at making their stories a shock-like narration.

The delay of making a final decision based on Carty's latest comments back in July, IMO may not be a bad thing because the City of Toledo, State of Ohio, and Lucas County is going all stars and moons to keep Fed Ex in Lucas County, in result of that, there are more viable locations and packages to consider. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, despite of the media giving us a play-by-play speculations of what might or might not happen based on their "source". If my hunch is correct, Fed Ex will stay in the region either way on Reynolds Road or Buck Road or somewhere in Lucas County.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #797
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcon View Post
It was pretty ridiculous that Bedford is considered in the Detroit Metro. It is clearly Toledo Metro and not having makes the Toledo Area seem smaller. It be like saying Maumee was not in the Toledo metro area.
I agree, I think Erie, Whiteford, and Bedford Townships should be part of the Toledo MSA and leave the rest of Monroe County to Detroit MSA. MSA boundary is typically designed on commuting patterns (job-wise), local business network, media market, and where most people spend their money and time in. If Toledo does get those three townships, it will add 50,000 people count to the metro population of 640,000 (Lucas, Fulton, Wood, and Ottawa counties).
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #798
Pilliod Njaim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 947
Likes (Received): 2

Some of the areas with small, urban commercial strip (which will have abundance of old, gorgeous buildings) in Toledo (outside of downtown) you should check out:

1) Five Points area which starts from Phillips/Detroit intersection along Haverhill to Sylvania Avenue corridor to Secor Road (longest commercial strip in the region, IMO)

2) Point Place area which starts 101st Street to 131st Street along the Summit Street corrdior

3) River East area which starts Front/Main intersection to E. Broadway/Starr Avenue intersection

4) Old South Toledo which starts Broadway/Segur intersection along Broadway to Prouty Avenue

5) Lagrange area which starts Lagrange/Manhattan intersection along Lagrange to E. Delaware Avenue

6) Harvard Terrace which starts Glendale/Anthony Wayne Trail interesection for about 2 blocks east toward Abbott Avenue

7) Pickford Neighborhood which is about 2 blocks along S. Detroit Avenue at Medford Drive

8) Highland Park Neighborhood which is about 2-3 blocks at South and Spencer Street intersection

9) Old West End Neighborhood at the intersections of Collingwood and Delaware


Those were the ones I would list too. My favorites are the La Viva/Old South End corridor along Browdway, as that's the heart of Ohio's largest Mexican enclave, and I love LaGrange (the old Polish enclave).

I agree, I think Erie, Whiteford, and Bedford Townships should be part of the Toledo MSA and leave the rest of Monroe County to Detroit MSA. MSA boundary is typically designed on commuting patterns (job-wise), local business network, media market, and where most people spend their money and time in. If Toledo does get those three townships, it will add 50,000 people count to the metro population of 640,000 (Lucas, Fulton, Wood, and Ottawa counties).

Honestly, Toledo should (and will probably will) have Monroe County in the near future. MSA's are measured by whole counties, which is stupid, but that's how the government wants it. Commuters in Monroe County split pretty evenly between Toledo and Detroit, though the majority work in Monroe County. Monroe is an employment center in itself, but I'd say the city of Monroe is more Toledo than Detroit. It's closer to Toledo (20 miles) than Detroit (35 miles), and it gets the Blade, all Toledo media, etc.

MSA and DMA (media market) are completely different measures. Monroe County is in neither Toledo's MSA or DMA. Toledo actually gets Lenawee County in its DMA (as it should), but it should also have Monroe.

MSA is strictly measured on work commuting patterns, nothing else. It's a very weak measure of a "metro" size, because most commuting is actually suburban-suburban. To qualify for being part of an MSA, the county has to show commuter exchange with the core county (including all suburbs there), or just a county ADJACENT to the core county! That's ridiculous. MSA mainly measures suburban-suburban commuting today, and this is greatly amplified in 15-county MSA's like Cincinnati.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #799
Mudhen419
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 3,570
Likes (Received): 115

Sad sight on that webcam pic. Only about a wall left of the old bijou. Many good memories there. Great place to see a concert and probly was good for movies way back when they used to do that there... The last concert i saw there was Too Live Crew back in January, some of my friends opened for them an we got to see a lot of the club a lot of people dont get to see. Blazin backstage was always fun. Even though its sad to see this place go I'm glad the arena is finally being built...
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #800
Bonjourtoledo
Registered User
 
Bonjourtoledo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1

Fed Ex Development News

Here is the latest news in regards to Fed Ex as they talked about it today on the news radio.

Fed Ex Still Considering Options
Extends Decision Deadline to October
Posted on WSPD 1370 AM Newsradio on 9-14-2007


A Fed Ex spokesman tells WSPD political in-fighting is not behind its 30-day delay in making a decision whether to move out of Toledo. David Westrick emphasizes there are other main factors to consider such as highway access, a large employee pool and location. Westrick wouldn't say whether Fed Ex is considering a move out of state or not. Its decision affects 600 local jobs.
__________________
"HOLY TOLEDO!!!"
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu