daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #881
nickw311

Likes (Received): 1

I'm pretty excited to see these developments around the campus area since I am in law school at UT. The Rocket center with the mixed residential/commercial looks particularly interesting. I like how they are putting it close to the road rather than 100 yards back with a huge parking lot in the front. The Campus village development also looks interesting but I can't get real excited about that because I lived there last year and it was the most dreadful living experience ever. I wouldn't wish upon my enemies to have to live at Campus Village.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #882
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I was wondering since the groudbreaking for the arena was monday does this mean there are final plans drawn up? Or are the most recent drawings we have seen on the Lucascountyarena site going to be it? i've been thinking about this since sunday night when a friend and i walked the blocks around the arena and saw the stage and chairs set up for the event....... Go Tribe!!!!
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #883
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Went out to Fallen Timbers today and had lunch at PF Chang's...its nice and I think I actually like this mall better than Levis Commons.

I'm curious why Cousino put his son-in-law's name on the offer to buy the docks. Considering that their bid is the lower of the two, you'd think Cousino's name would be needed since he was the first to take the Dock's gamble.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #884
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Campus Village Center
At the corner of Secor Road and College Drive, Campus Village Communities is building a $3 million mixed-use facility to include 13 apartment units and approximately 5,000 square feet of commercial space. The apartments will range from one-bedroom to four-bedroom and sit on the two stories above the first floor commercial space.

YES, that is EXACTLY what UT needs. Just look at Athens, Oxford, and Bowling Green to see how a college area is supposed to be.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #885
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I'm pretty excited to see these developments around the campus area since I am in law school at UT. The Rocket center with the mixed residential/commercial looks particularly interesting. I like how they are putting it close to the road rather than 100 yards back with a huge parking lot in the front. The Campus village development also looks interesting but I can't get real excited about that because I lived there last year and it was the most dreadful living experience ever. I wouldn't wish upon my enemies to have to live at Campus Village.
I'm an Alumni from UT, and I've heard stories about Campus Village from fires, multiple break-ins of cars, etc, etc. Perhaps with the infuse of developments with retail and residential will make it more safe, friendly, and secure. It's all about residential complexes should have security in place (i.e. cameras, alarms, etc) and students do have to work together as a "Block Neighborhood" but again, they need "time" to be part of that. But I'm all for developments and more retail/restaurants around the campus. Caribou Coffee should be looking at these sites at either Campus Village or Rocket Plaza.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #886
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
I was wondering since the groudbreaking for the arena was monday does this mean there are final plans drawn up? Or are the most recent drawings we have seen on the Lucascountyarena site going to be it? i've been thinking about this since sunday night when a friend and i walked the blocks around the arena and saw the stage and chairs set up for the event....... Go Tribe!!!!
I think the current designs and architecture is a sure thing but it will be enhanced over period of time through the construction. They will heavily emphasize on "going green" of all the aspects of the building which includes solar, energy turbine, recycable water, etc, etc. Whatever you see on the website will be what they will be doing and will provide any updates to the progress of the project.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #887
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Campus Village Center
At the corner of Secor Road and College Drive, Campus Village Communities is building a $3 million mixed-use facility to include 13 apartment units and approximately 5,000 square feet of commercial space. The apartments will range from one-bedroom to four-bedroom and sit on the two stories above the first floor commercial space.

YES, that is EXACTLY what UT needs. Just look at Athens, Oxford, and Bowling Green to see how a college area is supposed to be.
I agree and in the long-term I would like to see that development to go from UT Main Campus along the Dorr Street corridor expanded into downtown. Similar to High Street in Columbus in between OSU campus and their downtown.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #888
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Went out to Fallen Timbers today and had lunch at PF Chang's...its nice and I think I actually like this mall better than Levis Commons.

I'm curious why Cousino put his son-in-law's name on the offer to buy the docks. Considering that their bid is the lower of the two, you'd think Cousino's name would be needed since he was the first to take the Dock's gamble.
IMO, Levis Commons caters to the entertainment and upper middle-class folks for their retail and restaurants, because you cannot really shop anything for guys like me at Levis Commons. Fallen Timbers is good because it will restore loss of revenue and jobs from the Southwyck Mall and also it is in Lucas County which means restore of taxes and they are located in the JDEZ district with City of Toledo. It's a win-win all around.

Cousino and his family is all involved in the business, however, they work well with the Main Street Venue company who owns Zia's Real Seafood, Ciao's and several A2 businesses. So they both compliment to one another with their success of the Docks. I would love to see the "curse" to be removed from Gumbo's-Oasis space and fill it with a new exciting restaurant. I think a Chinese Bistro similar to P.F. Chang would do well at that location.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; October 5th, 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #889
Bonjourtoledo

FedEx Expansion Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #890
Bonjourtoledo

UT Business School Development

Old October 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #891
Bonjourtoledo

Arts thru Warehouse District

Group brings art to Warehouse District
By John Dorsey Toledo Free Press Staff Writer
Posted on Toledo Free Press website

Toledo's Warehouse District is about to get a bit of an artistic facelift, thanks to the members of the Toledo Warehouse District Assocation. The community group, which is composed of volunteers who live and work in the area, recently unveiled its latest work in progress, window art located at 411 Washington St. across from Fifth Third Field.

Diane T. Keil-Roe, vice president of Knight Crockett Miller Insurance, who also serves as the Warehouse District Association's secretary, coordinated the project.

Things first got started after building owner Carol Caple told her insurance agent she was interested in offering her window space to a community arts project and funding was secured through Knight Crockett Miller. Brent Lohmann, owner of the B Creative graphic design company, created the artwork. Roe said Lohmann donated a large amount of his time to the design, much like he did when helping to create the logo for the Uptown area.

“Our goal was to come together and to help raise the profile of the Warehouse District,” Roe said.

The Warehouse District Assocation has also been involved in the development of St. Clair Village, events such as Wander the Warehouse District, the creation of free walking maps of the area and has done neighborhood advocacy work with city government.

Lohmann's work isn't done yet — the Warehouse District Assocation is asking that area businesses and individuals consider coming forward to help fund the design of artwork in the six remaining window panes in Caple's building. The cost is $175 per pane. Lohmann has offered his design services for the artwork on the remaining panes.

“Funding really is the hard part in taking on a project like this — the actual artwork can be completed rather quickly,” Roe said.

The group is planning to place similar artwork in the windows of Otto Buehler's old building, which is located at 24 N. Erie St. next to Knight Crockett Miller. Other future projects include a Web site to be used for community networking purposes.
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #892
Bonjourtoledo

Councilman R. Ludeman take on Southwyck

*Standing Ovation* Great article in regards to the Dillards being a "stick-in-the-mud" for Southwyck's development:

GUEST COLUMN
Dillard stalls Southwyck progress
By Rob Ludeman Special to the Toledo Free Press
Posted on Toledo Free Press 10-5-2007

In last week's Toledo Free Press, President and Publisher Tom Pounds made special note that I had called for a boycott of Dillard's locations in Toledo. I challenged Mr. Pounds' analysis of this issue and thank him for offering me the opportunity to clarify and expound on the Dillard's/Southwyck issue.

At an Environment, Utilities and Public Service committee hearing of Toledo City Council on Sept. 24, regarding the status and future of Southwyck, I stated that “I would not set foot in the Dillard's store at Fallen Timbers as a ‘personal protest.' ” That is my choice, and I will stick to it. This was apparently misconstrued by some, including Mr. Pounds, that I was calling for a full boycott of Dillard's in the Toledo area. Although many in our community, especially those who live near Southwyck, have expressed that they support a boycott; that was not my purpose. My statement of personal protest, however, does not come close to the feelings of extreme frustration I have had in trying to deal with Dillard's for the past seven years.

In 2001, I was contacted by Susan Russell of Sears, Roebuck and Co. in Chicago, who was interested in a new Sears store in the vacated Montgomery Ward building at Southwyck. I, and others, worked diligently with Ms. Russell to make that a reality and use Sears to help redevelop Southwyck and Reynolds Road. To that end, I created an Enterprise Zone and received quick State of Ohio approval to allow assistance in future financing for the ventures. The State of Ohio Department of Development, Toledo Lucas County Port Authority, the Lucas County Commissioners and the City of Toledo all worked cooperatively on this venture. I pushed legislation, which was passed in 2002, to waive the “living wage” requirement of the city for the Southwyck mall to stimulate the project. That project, unfortunately, did not come to fruition in great part because of Bill Dillard.

Shortly thereafter, Westfield announced it intended to purchase and redevelop Southwyck to complement the Westfield Franklin Park project. The May Company was interested in a major anchor store at Southwyck. However, Mr. Dillard had a controlling interest in Southwyck, did not want that competition, and this deal also fell by the wayside.

Then in July of 2005, Larry Dillin announced plans to develop Southwyck with a mixed-use concept. This was an exciting opportunity with a successful local developer. I, and many others, have worked since that time to bring Larry Dillin's concept to reality. But at every opportunity, Bill Dillard and his team, while acting interested in Southwyck, moved full steam ahead with the Fallen Timbers project, knowing that they had no intention to stay at Southwyck. At this point, the Southwyck redevelopment is stalled simply because of Bill Dillard and business associate Buddy Herring and their over-inflated value of a nearly abandoned property. The city is discussing eminent domain in an attempt to leverage these two men out of that site.

I have personally met with Bill Dillard, his associate Wes Cherry and Buddy Herring. In the past, hundreds of neighbors and customers of Dillard's have sent letters of support for them to stay at Southwyck. But as I write this article today, all attempts to work with Dillard's have failed. They have not been a good corporate partner in the Toledo area. They are more responsible for the demise of Southwyck than any other entity, while exercising their control of South Toledo from corporate offices in Little Rock, Ark. They have not been forthright and honest with the citizens of our community. So, at this point, the city must use every tool available to move the Dillard-led coalition out and let Larry Dillin move forward to bring about a real rebirth of the Southwyck area.

In conclusion, I believe in the free market and competition to be the best for the citizen and consumer. But there has been no free market at Southwyck for some time. Dillard's has seen to that. So if any of you reading this article visit the new Fallen Timbers development and stop in to Dillard's to see their new store, you will not see me there. My “personal protest” is firm. And I will continue to do everything possible to assist in the Villages of Southwyck to make that project a reality.
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #893
Bonjourtoledo

Photos of Warehouse District 10-4-2007

A lot of changes to the Warehouse District that is located south of downtown Toledo. I went for a walk on Thursday early evening and took some shots:

Before shot of St. Patrick's Church (with no steeple):

After shot of St. Patrick's Church with the steeple (I loooooove it, it really brings back the skyline):

Redeveloped old Toledo Heater Company on Saint Clair Street and still redeveloping the rest of the block with businesses moving into the neighborhood:

Soon to be condominiums to be built on (facing) Lafayette in between Saint Clair and Depot Streets next to the redeveloped Toledo Heater Company building:

Shot of Superior Street in the Warehouse District with the skyline of downtown (looking north):
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #894
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

The Warehouse District is looking great! Even in the face of tough economic times (though that should change soon), Toledo's core neighborhoods continue to revitalize.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #895
Bonjourtoledo

Fostoria: ThyssenKrupp Development

Such welcoming news since ThyssenKrupp decided to stay and expand in Fostoria. Fostoria is located about 35 miles southeast of Toledo within the MSA district and has a population of about 14,000.

ThyssenKrupp to remain in Fostoria and add jobs
Posted on Toledo Blade website
Article published Saturday, October 6, 2007

FOSTORIA – After a year of uncertainty about its future in Fostoria, ThyssenKrupp Crankshaft Co. said yesterday that it planned to stay and add employees.

Mayor John Davoli said officials at the company formerly known as Atlas Crankshaft contacted him and told him they planned to maintain their manufacturing plants in both Fostoria and Danville, Ill., rather than consolidate operations as had been feared.

Jim Bischoff, director of Fostoria Economic Development Corp., said ThyssenKrupp recently called back 45 laid-off employees, bringing the total work force in Fostoria to 356.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #896
Bonjourtoledo

The Docks Development Update

Old October 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #897
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Having known and worked with both parties involved in the "bidding war", I'd have to suggest going with Mainstreet Ventures. Gibbons and Co. just do it better and more professionally.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #898
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I was underwhelmed by the new Fallen Timbers mall in Maumee. Maybe I'm spoiled by Easton in Columbus. Fallen Timbers is 1 million square feet, which is not much smaller than Franklin Park... But it felt tiny. It felt like Levis Commons with 2 department stores. It's far outside of town, and the area around it smells of dung for miles.

Franklin Park is still one of my favorite malls. I'm a big mall nut, and I've been to them all over the country, but I think overall Franklin Park is one of the best. Fallen Timbers is definitely no challenge to Franklin Park.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #899
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I was underwhelmed by the new Fallen Timbers mall in Maumee. Maybe I'm spoiled by Easton in Columbus. Fallen Timbers is 1 million square feet, which is not much smaller than Franklin Park... But it felt tiny. It felt like Levis Commons with 2 department stores. It's far outside of town, and the area around it smells of dung for miles.

Franklin Park is still one of my favorite malls. I'm a big mall nut, and I've been to them all over the country, but I think overall Franklin Park is one of the best. Fallen Timbers is definitely no challenge to Franklin Park.
That's why I prefer "enclosed" mall over open-air mall anytime. I see open-air mall nothing more than a glorified shopping center. Toledo metro can support 2-3 enclosed mall with the year-round weather that we have, Franklin Park, Woodville (they need to renovate and rebirth), and whomever is next would be sufficient to support the region.
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #900
Bonjourtoledo

Fifth Third Center at One Seagate Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:10 AM.