daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #901
ddp

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I was underwhelmed by the new Fallen Timbers mall in Maumee... It's far outside of town, and the area around it smells of dung for miles.
That's just a silly comment. It's called landscaping, i.e. mulch. The smell will dissipate in a week or two.
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #902
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

I was underwhelmed by the new Fallen Timbers mall in Maumee. Maybe I'm spoiled by Easton in Columbus. Fallen Timbers is 1 million square feet, which is not much smaller than Franklin Park... But it felt tiny. It felt like Levis Commons with 2 department stores. It's far outside of town, and the area around it smells of dung for miles.

Franklin Park is still one of my favorite malls. I'm a big mall nut, and I've been to them all over the country, but I think overall Franklin Park is one of the best. Fallen Timbers is definitely no challenge to Franklin Park.

Well, the dung smell will go away, as said above. Plus, I think it's been like 90 degrees in Toledo over the last couple of days, which would make the smell worse.

Anyways, if Fallen Timbers sucks, that's good for the City of Toledo. Southwyck still has to be renovated, and with a 1 million square foot "shopping towne" only three or four miles away, that is too much competition in the southwest metro area. If Fallen Timbers is underwhelming, then hopefully it will fail. The Toledo market can probably only sustain one mall that size in the southwest area, not two, and I hope the one mall will end up being in the city limits.

Personally, I hate malls in general, but I do think there is something wrong when developers in Ohio think it's appropriate to build outdoor malls (they don't understand how the state hibernates during winter). Granted, Toledo doesn't have the worst winter in the state (Cleveland is certainly worse), but for about four months of the year, it's cold and there are good chances of getting large snow storms. I can't imgaine anyone wanting to be outside during December, January, Februrary, or March in Ohio. Even without a lot of snow, winters in Ohio suck. They're typically overcast and depressing. Not to mention the recent trend has been towards "white Easters". In Athens last year, we had a big winter storm on Easter (an April Easter mind you), and I'm guessing the same may have happened up north. In Ohio, it seems the state sort of slows down and hibernates during winter. A lot of people here just hate cold weather and dreary skies (maybe that's why so many Ohioans move to Florida and Arizona). I don't think it's a northern thing, just an Ohio thing. In Boston and New York, and any area with mountains, winter is not a time to hole up and become a hermit crab. In Ohio, it is. Other than ice fishing on Lake Erie, the state offers very little winter recreation. There are no mountains, and the so-called "ski resorts" are a complete joke (worst in America). Most northern states have more to offer in terms of winter recreation.

I like Ohio during the other three seasons, but during winter, it can be incredibly boring.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #903
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

No that smell is Dung.... I go out this way a lot to fish the jerome rd rapids..... There is a sewage plant on Jerome I believe about a half mile from TSAFT. But yea the smell willbe gone in about a month but it will return when the weather gets warm again.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #904
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

DeVeaux Shopping Center Redevelopment

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #905
nickw311

"Plans for the $2 million, 15,000 square foot facility include a tanning salon, a hair salon, and a coffee bar with a cafÈ. Twelve two-bedroom and three-bedroom apartments will be located on the second floor and parking will be available for 100 vehicles. Limited space is still currently still available."

Bonjour - where did you get this information about the Rocket Plaza? From looking at the sketches outside the building it appears to be a one floor building. It would be nice if it were multi-level and was mixed residential and commercial though.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #906
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
"Plans for the $2 million, 15,000 square foot facility include a tanning salon, a hair salon, and a coffee bar with a cafÈ. Twelve two-bedroom and three-bedroom apartments will be located on the second floor and parking will be available for 100 vehicles. Limited space is still currently still available."

Bonjour - where did you get this information about the Rocket Plaza? From looking at the sketches outside the building it appears to be a one floor building. It would be nice if it were multi-level and was mixed residential and commercial though.
I got the information from the monthly publicated Toledo Business Journal, it does look like a one-floor structure at this phase of the construction but it is not completed as of yet. I could not find any rendering to this project, however, we will have to wait a little bit longer as the construction gets completed and we would see the full extent of what was mentioned of what it will actually be.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #907
nickw311

There is also a building on bancroft being remodeled a little east of the campus. Any idea what is going to happen there?
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #908
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
There is also a building on bancroft being remodeled a little east of the campus. Any idea what is going to happen there?
Are you referring about the area of Maxwell's Coffeehouse, 7 Eleven and Gatorz Club? If so, I've noticed something was starting there a couple of weeks back, they torn down a body shop building and working on the little strip mall that had some sort of Southern Soul food restaurant before. I haven't come across any development news on this one as of yet.
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #909
Bonjourtoledo

Levis Commons Development Update

Levis Commons to add 5 locally owned stores
Posted on Toledo Blade website
Article published Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Levis Commons shopping complex in Perrysburg has announced the addition of five retailers, all of them locally owned.

Emma Louise, a children’s and teen’s furniture store; Kidz Watch, a day-care center; Tri-Coast Title Agency; Fiddle Stix Boutique and Gallery; and C. Sterling Jewelers are to move into sites on Levis Commons’ southern side, where a $7 million building is under construction.
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #910
Bonjourtoledo

Sandusky: Water Park Developments

New water park in Sandusky
Hawaiian-themed indoor waterpark to open in Sandusky
Posted on NBC 24 website Tuesday, October 09, 2007

SANDUSKY, OH (AP) -- Construction is under way on Maui Sands Resort, the new Hawaiian-themed indoor water park set to open in Sandusky this spring.

A 30-million dollar expansion and renovation project will make the resort the second indoor water park in the amusement park town.

Rides at Maui Sands will include the SurfRider, a stationary two-foot-high wave for body surfing, four water slides and a lazy river.

The Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express on the water park's grounds will also undergo island-themed renovations.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #911
Bonjourtoledo

Finalist for Most Livable City in the World

Toledo most livable US city?
UN committee says Glass City under consideration for honor
By Matt Trezza
Posted on NBC 24 website Monday, October 08, 2007

Would you call Toledo one of the world's most livable cities? That's what a United Nations committee is saying. The mayor is headed overseas next month to make his case. But will an award make any difference for residents?

Mayor Finkbeiner was all smiles as he made the announcement. “We just need to get the word out to so many of our brethren who live here, one of the most livable cities of 300,000 in the United States,” the mayor said. So used to being on the bottom of the list, city staff says the Glass City's got the chance to come out on top.

A UN committee's has Toledo in the running with five other cities for the title of most livable. Other five are Edogawa, Japan; Lyon, France; Malmo, Sweden; Manukau, New Zealand and Niagara, Canada. But can a neat title really change the city?

“I think it can make a difference,” says Sue Wuest, Assistant Director of the Urban Affairs Center at the University of Toledo, “especially if we work really hard to make sure that it's true.”

Schools and jobs are important factors in bringing people to a city. But for the people already here, urban affairs experts say morale is important. “You want to wake up every morning feeling good about yourself; people in Toledo want to wake up feeling good about the city. If we can make the top of the list, that's going to be better than being on the bottom of the list,” says Neil Reid, Director of the Urban Affairs Center.

The mayor will lead a delegation to London, England late next month to try and convince the committee that the glass city is the most livable. The mayor is looking for private donors to fund his trip overseas. He says he doesn't want to subsidize the visit with taxpayer dollars.
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #912
Pilliod Njaim

^If there's one thing Toledo has, it's some damn good and affordable housing.
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #913
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
^If there's one thing Toledo has, it's some damn good and affordable housing.
No traffic, decent schools, good water, good recreational opportunities, excellent transportation. Hmmm...it's a pretty awesome place.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #914
Pilliod Njaim

^that too. Don't forget Oak Openings. It's the most ecologically diverse part of Ohio and home to many species not found anywhere else in the Midwest. It also holds an ancient Lake Erie beach and is one of the largest Oak Savannahs on earth. Oak Openings is by far the best metropark I've ever been to. Most state parks can't compare. With the exapnsion of the park and state forest, it's forming Toledo's greenbelt.
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #915
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #916
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Crime Update

Old October 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #917
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development Update

Old October 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #918
Bonjourtoledo

Wal-Mart/North Towne Development

This is the biggest horsesh*t I've ever read in regards to a candidate stating that Wal-Mart is not right for North Toledo. Such HORSESH*T, pardon my language, but this guy defies logic. Wal-Mart is perfect for the area especially for the Alexis Road corridor and the large population of North Toledo and Bedford Township of Michigan. North Towne Square Mall is dead and it is needed to be redeveloped into some sort of commercial activity and Wal-Mart is perfect due to other stores being located far away (i.e. Sylvania Township, Holland, Oregon, Perrysburg, and South Toledo). Menards is building on Alexis Road and new hotel of Marriot Fairfield just opened, so it makes sense to keep tax dollars rolling into Toledo especially if you are going to serve 35,000+ residents of Bedford Township alone.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #919
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Waiting patiently for Dillins anouncement..............
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #920
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development Update

A little blurb from WTVG 13 ABC local affiliate:

New plans for the Marina District to be unveiled

The City of Toledo held up its part of the bargain and today we will find out if developer Larry Dillin held up his. New plans for the Marina District will be unveiled.
The plans are big and expensive for the Marina District. This morning Larry Dillon will hold a press conference to lay down his vision.

It will include more than $75 million in new vertical projects. Dillon will also be unveiling new drawings that will give residents a look at the layout of the Marina District.

Construction will start later this month. Then vertical development will begin next spring. This is all in a plan to fill the area with retail, restaurants and market rate housing.

Still more to come in terms of details and such. Stay tune........