daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #941
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Who exactly are these 700 residents with disposable income that will WANT to live in this Marina District??? Poor schools, an inept city government, all surrounded by the crap on the East side...what is the attraction???
b1gh0u5e, I will try to be straight-forward with you and thus far we've maintained positive, open-dialogue (after 40,000 hits) about development in our region. Let's not start bringing in negativities into this forum and it's totally unfair of you to call East Toledo crap. East Toledo is truely blue-collar, older neighborhood with tight density of housing and yes it is not a la' Levis Commons like, and it has a lot of older, ripe-to-be-developed buildings in the neighborhood.

Keep your politics and your dislikes out of this forum because some of us may disagree on certain development projects but we don't "dog" the entire system in our community based on personal ideologies. TPS is not poor, it is a huge school district (30,000+ students) and it's urban-setting and yes they do have challenges but what big schools doesn't? There are ample amount of great schools around the Marina District such as Toledo School for the Arts, Central Catholic Schools, Old West End Academy, other parochial schools, Maritime Academy, and yes even TPS have something to offer whereas many other rural or suburban schools does not offer.

Inept city government? No one's disputing that but we certainly do not bring that topic into this forum because with the ongoing developments in our region most businesses cannot exist without government assistance of some sort. In most cases, businesses would not be able to grow or retain without tax abatements, infrastructure improvements and support, and assistance. There are other websites for you to mingle on about city government, but this site is not the place.

As I have said in many, many posts of this thread, Marina District will cater to the singles, young couples, empty nesters, professionals, small family, urban dwellers, and others. There is a demand for it because Toledo and its region is dominated with suburbuan-style housing. With Larry Dillin's track record and the magnitude of the residential developments it will take steam in the long-run along with the new I-280 bridge, new downtown arena, redeveloping Warehouse District neighborhood, The Docks and International Park, new ferry terminal, new Locke Library, etc, etc. However, with the new developments of Marina District it will increase the new higher income population which will infuse a gentrification process into the neighborhood, and the retail and commercial will certainly follow because it is #1 rule in all of urban planner's books.

This is not some "flash-in-the-pan or an over-night" project to take place at the Marina District, this is a long-term developmental project that will change the face of East Toledo and river forever.

Too bad your negativities has clouded your thinking and with that type of attitude is what truely keeps this region back from its full potential. If you don't have anything constructive to post, don't post anything at all. I guarantee that you will be ignored.

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #942
ddp

Quote:
Who exactly are these 700 residents with disposable income that will WANT to live in this Marina District??? Poor schools, an inept city government, all surrounded by the crap on the East side...what is the attraction???
Re-gentrification in any city takes commitment, assumes risk, and demands time. If governments, private developers, and individuals consistently took the position that "bad areas" should be left to rot, just because the "place" is not perfect, imagine what our society would be left with at the end of the day.

I, for one, am all for positive efforts that help to advance an area. All of the points you raise are fixable, but stating the past and current does nothing to improving the future. If not now, when?
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #943
ToledoHokie
ToledoHokie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes it will be risky and all 700 are not going to sell or be rented in 3 months, but despite what many people think the Toledo region has a great quality of life with many opportunities for recreation and a great potential for long-term business development. Creating a waterfront residential development in Toledo is sorely needed and making it an urban setting is even better.

I have lived in Connecticut, Virginia, and Alaska and everywhere has its great attributes, but Toledo as a whole has more to offer to greater portion of its population than any of these other places do either due to cost, distance, or crowds.
ToledoHokie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #944
ilovetoledo

I just wanted to say that i am new to this and am glad to be on here voiceing my opinion to other people that love toledo!
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #945
ilovetoledo

I think that 700 is perfect due to the lack of population growth in the city. Downtown toledo is becomming a place where everyone wants to live work and play. This will draw middle to upper classes to the inner city to live. And if we take away from Perrysburg, who cares. Toledo is growing vastly with many projects such as the marina district, the arena, southwyck shopping center, new downtown developments (warehouse district), model block program, and the expansion of Toledo's premeir mall. Many things are happening here in Toledo i dont see why you wouldnt want to be apart of a growing community...
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #946
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

Bonjour

Any update on if the proposal for Deveaux expansion/revitalization?! I know that Little Caesars is moving from their current location to next door to playmakers (making room for future expansion!?) and I have heard the LIFESTYLES on Monroe have been trying to sell their building and relocate to the plaza but were or are unable to sell the building. Any word on this?

I hope they tear down the old friendly's and build a little "community shops" place, with a cafe, coffee shop, small grocery store and or convenient store...

I love this place. I love this city.

Love Toledo.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #947
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
I just wanted to say that i am new to this and am glad to be on here voiceing my opinion to other people that love toledo!
Welcome! We look forward to your constructive dialogues about our regional and local developments along with educating each other about the happenings in our area to emphasize growth and positiveness.
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #948
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25 View Post
Any update on if the proposal for Deveaux expansion/revitalization?! I know that Little Caesars is moving from their current location to next door to playmakers (making room for future expansion!?) and I have heard the LIFESTYLES on Monroe have been trying to sell their building and relocate to the plaza but were or are unable to sell the building. Any word on this?

I hope they tear down the old friendly's and build a little "community shops" place, with a cafe, coffee shop, small grocery store and or convenient store...

I love this place. I love this city.

Love Toledo.

Hey toledo25, from what I gathered they are moving Little Caesars and a toy store down to the south side of the plaza while they will raze this portion to make room for the new Cedar Creek Church. It will infill the grass area toward the vacant Food Town Plus building and they wanted the Cedar Creek Church to be an anchor-like structure of the redeveloping shopping center. Also they will be building storefront, strip building along Sylvania Avenue west of where the vacant Friendly's is located and they had interest of a cafe, coffeehouse, and a small retail to occupy the new space.

Yes, Lifestyles have been wanting to go into DeVeaux to be closer to their clients and high population of the surrounding neighborhoods (Sylvania/Douglas/Laskey area), and I haven't heard anything different as of yet. IMO from what I see they seem to be doing well in business of where they are located at, but if they ever move away from the Monroe site, that property will be extremely valuable due to the forever-expanding mall across the street.
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #949
Bonjourtoledo

Promedica: Toledo Hospital Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:14 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #950
Bonjourtoledo

FedEx Expansion Development Update

Old October 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #951
Bonjourtoledo

Mercy Health Partners: St. Anne Development

Old October 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #952
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Toledo is growing vastly with many projects such as the marina district

It's not growing vastly, but is has an incredible amount of investment right now (one of the highest dollar amounts in the Midwest). Also, Toledo has added housing units since 2000, even if population estimates (and they are just estimates- wait until the real census) show population loss. Simply put, there is more housing going up than being torn down. City Council made sure to mention this when the census estimated population decline since 2000. It's great to see the Marina District taking off. This has happened much faster than in other cities with comparable projects (like The Banks in Cincinnati). The Marina District will add population and re-urbanize what was previously a wasteland.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; October 19th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #953
Bonjourtoledo

Rossford: Country Inn & Suites Development

Keep in mind, there is already a Hampton Inn & Suites project under construction nearby to the approved plans for Country Inn & Suities where the Bass Pro Shops will be making its debut next year.

Site plan for new hotel approved
Posted on Rossford Record Journal website 10-18-2007

Another hotel to be located in the Crossroads area received approval from the Rossford Planning Commission last week to proceed with construction.
Country Inn and Suites will be located at 9790 Clark Drive, on the cul-de-sac in between Courtyard by Marriott hotel and the former North Coast motorcycle shop.

The three-story, 80-unit hotel is owned by brothers Robert and William Nofar of Michigan.
Robert Nofar asked for the planning commission's approval for an 80-foot sign to be erected on their property along I-75.
Because the exit for State Route 795 is combined with the Ohio Turnpike entrance, he said motorists often are confused about where to exit.
"If you're going south, you don't see it until you get to it," Mr. Nofar said. "The exposure, being 80 feet, would be helpful for whoever is driving through."

The hotel hopes to attract guests from out of state and Canada, he added.
The city's zoning code limits signs to 65 feet in height.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #954
ilovetoledo

now whats going on with this arts district. Everybody kind of made a big deal about it then i hear nothing about it. I hope that this will make people wanna live downtown and be apart of an arts based community. I hope that it will grow to one day be like Columbus'
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #955
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

My question is what is going on with the Seagate Center renovation that was talked about a few years back? With the construction of the new arena underway, a renovated Seagate Center would compliment it nicely.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #956
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
now whats going on with this arts district. Everybody kind of made a big deal about it then i hear nothing about it. I hope that this will make people wanna live downtown and be apart of an arts based community. I hope that it will grow to one day be like Columbus'
This is a long-term project whereas properties will be bought, buildings will be rehabbed, and it will continue the momentum of this district. Keep in mind, this was just announced not too long ago and there are already abundance of artists and galleries in this zonal area. The Warehouse District is in the center of it all and it's coming along very nicely. The old Park Hotel nearby the Union Station will be converted into artists living quarters with studios and new TARPS/Intermodal facility will be built around Union Station will be constructed in a couple of years. There are a lot of things that are happening which will come through like Short North did since they began their redevelopment back in the early 80s.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #957
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
My question is what is going on with the Seagate Center renovation that was talked about a few years back? With the construction of the new arena underway, a renovated Seagate Center would compliment it nicely.
Seagate Convention Center has a year or two as it will be paying off its 25-year loan bond and they will be beginning soon. As a redeveloping project, they will be adding another floor on top of the convention center as part of the "Ballroom" Auditorium, adding a tunnel/skywalk to the new downtown arena, and recently they've added gas turbines which is environmentally friendly and does not have to pay utility. The convention folks does not really promote their redeveloping efforts of their facility.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #958
ilovetoledo

is there any pictures of what this might look like?
does segate really get that many people there to expand?
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #959
b1gh0u5e

Seagate doesn't get anything of any substance, if that is what you are asking.

Bonjour Toledo: My post did not break any rules. If you don't like what I asked, ignore it and move on. By the way, I'm still waiting for a legitimate answer.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #960
tk29

I heard about plans for the old national amusements theater property on Monroe St a few weeks ago on 13ABC. They mentioned it would be torn down in the spring and some type of national retailer would replace it. They also said the other theater property on Secor was just put for sale.
tk29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote