daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #961
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Seagate doesn't get anything of any substance, if that is what you are asking.

Bonjour Toledo: My post did not break any rules. If you don't like what I asked, ignore it and move on. By the way, I'm still waiting for a legitimate answer.
Who cares if your post didn't break any rules, but you didn't have to downgrade the thread with your silly comments. Your question have been answered in numerous of responses and if you don't see that, may God help you.

If you can't be constructive in the post with your statements, views, and questions, you will be ignored for sure. Usually by being constructive in discussions will enable a healthy ongoing dialogue not some ignorant comment like "who would want to live by crap, etc, etc".

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; October 20th, 2007 at 03:58 AM. Reason: wording
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #962
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
is there any pictures of what this might look like?
does segate really get that many people there to expand?
double post

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; October 20th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #963
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
is there any pictures of what this might look like?
does segate really get that many people there to expand?
Nope, not that I have seen.
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #964
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk29 View Post
I heard about plans for the old national amusements theater property on Monroe St a few weeks ago on 13ABC. They mentioned it would be torn down in the spring and some type of national retailer would replace it. They also said the other theater property on Secor was just put for sale.
Are you referring to the National Amusements theatre in front of Target? I've heard that same story more than a year ago and I'm still waiting.

Former Showcase Theatre on Secor Road should be a viable location since Westgate is now resurging with new developments and newly-opened Costco. Whole Foods Market or Giant Eagle would be good there since the Kroger on Monroe & Secor is crowded 24/7.
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM   #965
tk29

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Are you referring to the National Amusements theatre in front of Target? I've heard that same story more than a year ago and I'm still waiting.

Former Showcase Theatre on Secor Road should be a viable location since Westgate is now resurging with new developments and newly-opened Costco. Whole Foods Market or Giant Eagle would be good there since the Kroger on Monroe & Secor is crowded 24/7.
Yes Bonjour, they mentioned that the entire shopping plaza including Target would be renovated.

I think Whole Foods would be perfect for that area!
tk29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #966
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Found a pretty cool headline and article while lookin up info for the new arena.... How does an 80,000 seat arena sound for toledo?http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...B0668382609EDE
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #967
ilovetoledo

I think thats cool that we were in the new york times. If only those people knew how much this arena is going to redevelope our downtown. Maybe they should write a story on that...
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #968
ilovetoledo

How about that empty fiberglass tower?
Whats going on with that because it just sits there with no tennants?
I heard possible demolition plans.
I dont understand how a skyscrapper like that can just sit empty.
Cant any smaller tennants go in like a law office of something? What would be perfect is a resturaunt at the top with housing on the lower floors.
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #969
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Found a pretty cool headline and article while lookin up info for the new arena.... How does an 80,000 seat arena sound for toledo?http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...B0668382609EDE
Great find in a historical article, thanks so much! Toledo was thinking "big" in the 1800s and early 1900s which was orginally was supposed to be the "Chicago" of the midwest.
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #970
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
How about that empty fiberglass tower?
Whats going on with that because it just sits there with no tennants?
I heard possible demolition plans.
I dont understand how a skyscrapper like that can just sit empty.
Cant any smaller tennants go in like a law office of something? What would be perfect is a resturaunt at the top with housing on the lower floors.
We've covered this issue many times in this thread, there will be no demolition to the "Hytower" building because they are making huge profits on it due to satellites, antennas, and wireless on the top of the building and also the parking garage.

At one time, when Owens Corning occupied the building they had a high-class restaurant at the top floor and considering it is vacant there is so much potential to this building. Eyde company is the current owner since Owens Corning moved to the waterfront. I strongly feel it will change very soon once the downtown arena and Marina District is constructed.

A few ideas that IMO it would be great to bring life into the 30-floor building:
1. Condominiums at the top 10 floors then hotel the next ten floors and then commercial space the bottom ten floors which would be a mixed development style.

2. Charter One Bank or First Merit Bank could buy the building to expand its regional mark since Huntington has bought out Sky Bank.

3. Owens Corning could expand its research development department by moving into the Hytower building and redevelop it with other tenants.

4. HCR Manor expanding its world headquarters by adding workforce into the building.

5. Ever since the federal building was torn down at Summit & Jefferson in 2000, it hasn't had a home since then so perhaps they should move into the building along with the state government's committment to bring regional offices to Toledo instead of all their offices in Columbus something that Governor Strickland and Lee Fisher is strongly considering.

6. County offices to move out of the Government Center and create a Government Center II to centralize the location instead of spreading offices throughout the county--this would reduce cost of paying multiple locations by having one centralize location.

7. Dana Corporation will be emerging out of bankruptcy soon, perhaps they should bring back all corporate/research jobs outside of the region and bring them into the Hytower Building.

8. Market to the corporate companies in Detroit metro, Chicago metro and NYC metro to move their headquarters to Toledo with tax abatements and other business-incentives
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #971
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Isn't there a problem with asbestos in some of those downtown highrises?

It's not surprising since Toledo was something of an asbestos capital.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #972
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

Yes, the Hytower building has asbestos but I think they cleared it out because you can see ceiling tiles, insulations, and etc removed which is in position to be redeveloped with a new potential owner.

As far as Toledo being asbestos capital, that is the first I have ever heard of in my lifetime.
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #973
Hanker
Hometown Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

The building is still full of asbestos, together with having sustained severe water damage throughout (the owner forgot to turn off the water one winter when he decided not to heat the building), that the structure is economically unsuitable for any form of renovation. To make matters worse, with the asbestos, to tear down the building would cost a fortune.

The current owner covers his bills through the rental of rooftop space for communications equipment. Sad to say, the Hytower building will likely remain the way it is for some time.
Hanker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #974
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanker View Post
The building is still full of asbestos, together with having sustained severe water damage throughout (the owner forgot to turn off the water one winter when he decided not to heat the building), that the structure is economically unsuitable for any form of renovation. To make matters worse, with the asbestos, to tear down the building would cost a fortune.

The current owner covers his bills through the rental of rooftop space for communications equipment. Sad to say, the Hytower building will likely remain the way it is for some time.
Thanks for the update and detailed statement about the HyTower building, I totally forgotten about the incident in regards to the water damage. The building IMO is still relatively new since it was built in the late 60s, and perhaps something could be done about it in terms of rebabbing inside and outside of this structure.

I know there has been numerous of talks about demolishing the tower for years but they backed off in terms of rehabbing it instead since the talk of building a downtown arena few years back. Perhaps they take an advantage of this building's vitality since the downtown arena will be making its debut in fall of 2009.

There has to be something happening to this building in terms of needing to rehab it incrementally with the revenue from rooftop communications and parking garage.
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM   #975
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Yes, the Hytower building has asbestos but I think they cleared it out because you can see ceiling tiles, insulations, and etc removed which is in position to be redeveloped with a new potential owner.

As far as Toledo being asbestos capital, that is the first I have ever heard of in my lifetime.
Hell I'd be surprised if it wasn't their marketing slogan back in the 1970's.

Toledo: The Asbestos Capital of the World!
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM   #976
ilovetoledo

what is up with all the negative threads on toledo lately?
How about toledo the GLASS CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. i think that many of you need to rethink why you are downtalking the place that you call home?
Toledo is a great city working up slowly to its full potential. Maybe someday the Hytower will be redeveloped and it will prove all of you wrong.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM   #977
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

In the 1970's, Owens Corning made pipe insulation called Kaylo that contained asbestos (hence why they had all those lawsuits in the 1990's and went into bankruptcy), but that doesn't mean Toledo has more asbestos-laden buildings than other cities. Every city has some asbestos left in its older buildings, but they've mostly been abated. It's the same story in Toledo. The Fiberglas Tower (aka Hytower) is far from the norm. Most of the downtown office buildings have been rehabbed, even the vacant ones. The Fiberglas Tower is one of the only, if not the only downtown building with an asbestos problem.

Last I saw, the Fiberglas Tower's asbestos abatement was estimated to cost $2-3 million. That's far less than the cost of demoltion (that would cost $10-12 million). It makes a lot more sense to renovate the tower than to tear it down. It is right in the heart of the CBD and has great views of the cityscape, river, and bay. It also is not overly ugly when compared to other skyscrapers from the 60's and 70's. The building has its own parking garage and high-speed elevators (fastest in the world when built), so it certainly has a lot of potential. It is still for sale on the Eyde website. The price is negotioable:

Thirty-Story Office Building, magnificent views of the Maumee River, Lake Erie and CBD abound! Fantastic site for conversion to condominium, luxury apartment, mixed use development. Attached 519 +/- space parking garage. Building is linked to cities walk-way system. Former Owens Corning world headquarters, built in 1969. 11 passenger/1 freight high-speed 1,000' per minute elevators serve the building. (Building contains asbestos fireproofing/pipe wrapping, remediation estimated btwn 2-3 million, monies are available at state level to assist in removal)

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...5081&STID=eyde

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; October 22nd, 2007 at 06:12 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM   #978
ilovetoledo

Lets take a poll... Do you think, in your opinion, that Toledo will house another (Toledo's 3rd real skyscraper) skyscraper in the next 20 years?
Feel free to voice your opinion on the matter in the upcomming threads.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM   #979
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

yes

I think we will get another skyscraper in the future... however, it will take a big company (i.e. google or microsoft or dana or toyota etc..etc..) to make this a reality. The cost of building skyscrapers in this day in age is somewhere around 3-5x what they cost to build in the 60's/70's. I am excited to see that once the arena is up and running what new businesses/company's it will bring to the Toledo area.

We need some high tech businesses downtown. A YouTube or Google headquarters in toledo so to speak. Or an Experience Music project (see seattle for more info) downtown. Tons of Ideas, I wish I had millions of dollars.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #980
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Lets take a poll... Do you think, in your opinion, that Toledo will house another (Toledo's 3rd real skyscraper) skyscraper in the next 20 years?

What do you mean "third real skyscraper"? The National City Tower is a skyscraper at 370 feet tall. It's only 30 feet shorter than the Fiberglas Tower. Toledo's tallest, One Seagate, is 440 feet tall (sometimes printed at 411 feet), so that's not much taller than the 400-foot Fiberglas Tower or 370-foot National City Tower. National City (370 feet), Disalle Government Center (330 feet), and Toledo Trust (about 320 feet, though sometimes printed at 290 feet excluding the top two floors) are all skyscrapers in my book. Toledo has five of what I'd call "bona fide skyscrapers," and then about a half dozen other buildings over 200 feet tall (HCR Manor Care, Toledo Edison, Commodore Perry, Pilkington, Nicholas Building, Hotel Seagate, etc.) that straddle the skyscraper line. There are a good number of buildings around 100-200 feet tall as well. Even some of the warehouses in Toledo are over 100 feet tall (Bartley Lofts, Commerce Paper, Triangle Building, etc.).

It all depends on your definition of "skyscraper." I consider a building over 300 feet tall to be skyscraper. 200 to 300 feet tall is a transitional zone. Depending on design, a building in this height range can be a skyscraper if it emphasizes its vertical elements. Buildings between 100 and 200 feet tall are always what I consider to be regular high-rises. Under 100 feet tall is a low-rise or mid-rise to me. This seems to apply to most cities excluding NYC and Chicago (maybe double the numbers in those two cities due to the sheer enormity of their skylines). In Toledo, I'd say a building looks like a skyscraper if it's over 250 feet tall. Toledo has six or seven buildings that fit the bill (One Seagate, Fiberglas Tower, National City, Disalle Government Center, Toledo Trust, HCR Manor Care, Edison Plaza).

Now will Toledo house another skyscraper in the next 20 years? That's tough to say. The economy will probably turn around since Toledo is heavily invested in alternative energy, so I'd imagine a few new companies will set up headquarters downtown. I'd say it's more likely Toledo gets another regular high-rise before it gets another skyscraper. First off, there are still vacant office buildings downtown, so the market would need to be more saturated before anyone would put up a new office tower. If the Fiberglas Tower and Madison Building fill up, then new buildings could go up. I'd imagine the Fiberglas Tower will be renovated into the following:

floors 1-4: retail, restaurants, bar or club, pool, gym
floors 5-19: offices, maybe corporate HQ
floors 20-28: residential
floors 29, 30: maintenance/communications (it's already there)

The Fibeglas Tower and Madison Building will probably need to be renovated and occupied before any new high rises will go up. I think most of the new buildings within the next 10 years will be low-rises and mid-rises. They'll include residential and retail (hopefully at the former Federal Building site along Summit), small businesses (maybe at the former Paramount Theater site which is Toledo's worst surface lot), and possibly other uses. I think most of the buildings added downtown will be 2-10 stories tall within the near future. I don't expect any high rises soon, and that's not a bad thing. Infill is most important in Midwestern cities right now. Far too much has been torn down for surface lots. That is the most pressing problem facing urban neighborhoods in America.

A large anchor would be needed for the construction of a new tower. That would require a large corporation relocating to downtown Toledo or just incredible demand for high-density residential. That will probably not happen until the economy turns around completely and America gets off its suburban sprawl, oil obsession. Since Toledo is already a leader in the green economy, I can see lots of re-urbanization coming to the core neighborhoods. This will mostly take the form of shorter buildings with mixed uses (residential, retail, office, light industrial, etc). You will see a resurgence of pedestrian activity, and less dependance on cars. Toledo's new economy is banking on efficient living, not wasteful living. These upstart alternative energy industries will change the mindset of Toledoans, especially since they will be giving Toledoans jobs- jobs they may have lost from the auto industry. Toledo is on the brink of a major economic and cultural shift, a shift away from the wasteful mindset that has dominated America for the last 60 years. Toledo's new economy will likely push the region towards sustainable and green living, similar to what Portland has done. Toledo will still largely be an industrial city, but a much cleaner, high-tech, and more efficient industrial city- a model industrial city with one the continent's most diversified transportation infrastructures and outstanding cultural amenities.

Skyscrapers aren't all that important. Toledo has a great skyline as it is and needs to focus on filling surface lots Downtown and Uptown (especially Uptown). Toledo's skyline already has a good mix of height, a beautiful waterfront locale, and two big landmark bridges north and south of the downtown. Toledo looks damn impressive considering its metropolitan size and the economic problems facing similar industrial cities in America. You commonly hear visitors say that Toledo is surprisingly clean, and they marvel at the riverfront and integration of the city with its waterfront parkland. The lack of a freeway seperating the downtown from the waterfront is constantly a positive for Toledo. It's mostly moving in the right direction, despite recent job losses due to the Detroit auto industry. Toledo is one of the ONLY cities in the Midwest that did not build a freeway along its waterfront, and that gives it many advantages not found elsewhere. It was a great decision, because Toledo enjoys easy pedestrian access to its most valuable asset. That alone gives me the feeling that Toledo's redevelopment prospects are great. Most of the new projects in old Toledo are urban, pedestrian-friendly, and GREEN. Many of these projects are a short and easy walk from the mighty Maumee River. The big players are making smart moves and I expect to visit Toledo in ten years and see a much healthier city, a city that will hopefully be bucking America's suburban trends. America can't keep going on like it is. There just aren't enough resources to sustain our limitless level of consumption. We need to implement sustainable ways of living, and cut back on our use of land and fossil fuel. Toledo's alternative energy industries are one step in the right direction. New urbanism is another step, and the Marina District looks like a model example. The Marina District will be looked at by other cities as a prime example of infill, brownfield remediation, and new urbanism. I think it is the single most important and progressive project taking place in Ohio today.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:59 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote