daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1061
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

Names

What the heck were they thinking... walleye, peckers. Do you know how much crap we are going to get for these names. I cant wait until the public voices its opinion on the topic because i think they (the people naming) are going to get a big wake-up call...

St. Joes Maumee
They dont need a brand new school they need to fix up their current schools. St. Pats where i attended for grade school needs a new gym floor.

Monclova
I dont really understand the concept of annexing. Could Toledo annex monclova and add the residents?? or would that be called a merger? I know this would never happen but could it? It would be awesome, for Toledo atleast with its declining population
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #1062
ilovetoledo

Cosi

I think that Ford's idea to keep Cosi open under the TPS schools would benefit in the long run espically for Toledo's need for science and research jobs. If this does need to go into effect then Cosi needs to move out of its current location. Cosi is located in a essential building to downtown Toledo. They should move into one of the abandon warehouses. A riverfront property like that should be open to buisnesses because riverfront properties like that are scarce across the country. Cosi would definatly do better in the abandon warehouse across from fifth third field. Two downtown attractions right next to eachother and also with short walking distance. They need to let a buisness or resturaunt take over that property. Someone with a keen sense of where their future might be headed.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #1063
BGFalcon

I am not a big fan of the team name Peckers, but I don't mind Walleyes. It will be cool if they get football and hockey.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1064
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Could Toledo annex monclova and add the residents?? or would that be called a merger? I know this would never happen but could it?

It won't happen, becuase Toledo is already supplying water to that area. The reason Columbus can still annex suburbs is because they threaten to withold water from new developments. Join Columbus or lose water. Toledo hasn't done this, though it did annex quite a bit of land (40 square miles) between 1950-1970. It stopped by 1970 though, and Toledo hasn't been able to annex anything since. It's probably too late to pull the water card since most of the suitable annex areas are already developed and/or incorporated.

A city-county merger would be more likely (similar to Louisville).
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #1065
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Could Toledo annex monclova and add the residents?? or would that be called a merger? I know this would never happen but could it?

It won't happen, becuase Toledo is already supplying water to that area. The reason Columbus can still annex suburbs is because they threaten to withold water from new developments. Join Columbus or lose water. Toledo hasn't done this, though it did annex quite a bit of land (40 square miles) between 1950-1970. It stopped by 1970 though, and Toledo hasn't been able to annex anything since. It's probably too late to pull the water card since most of the suitable annex areas are already developed and/or incorporated.

A city-county merger would be more likely (similar to Louisville).
Toledo should probably move toward a city-county combination sooner rather than later. For now, the city is still home to about half of the metro area population, if that dips too much, I fear that suburban voters, in their numerical superiority and fear of a chocolate city, would never allow it. Toledo should move in the next decade to merge with Lucas County; Toledo's population would jump to at least 150,000 to about 450K. Toledo would then probably be...Ohio's second largest city, assuming the Cleveland Slide continues.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #1066
ilovetoledo

Merger

So if we do move to a city-county merger then would everything be called Toledo instead of Maumee, waterville, etc.? Would Toledo have say in everything that went on in the old maumee or would the old maumee still have a say? Would maumee police then be called toledo or maumee??
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #1067
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Downtown General Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #1068
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
So if we do move to a city-county merger then would everything be called Toledo instead of Maumee, waterville, etc.? Would Toledo have say in everything that went on in the old maumee or would the old maumee still have a say? Would maumee police then be called toledo or maumee??
There have been a lot of discussions underway for the past few years about unigov by combining Toledo and Lucas County that will still give the suburbs and townships a position on the unigov level to have fair representation. It's a matter of cutting down duplications and redundancy of services throughout the county and cutting down tax burden, streamlining efficiency, and regional transit system to give the entire county a new level of regionalism. It will be sooner than later for this area to have everyone merge together within Lucas County.
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #1069
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Toledo should probably move toward a city-county combination sooner rather than later. For now, the city is still home to about half of the metro area population, if that dips too much, I fear that suburban voters, in their numerical superiority and fear of a chocolate city, would never allow it. Toledo should move in the next decade to merge with Lucas County; Toledo's population would jump to at least 150,000 to about 450K. Toledo would then probably be...Ohio's second largest city, assuming the Cleveland Slide continues.
Don't be surprised if it happens because it's long overdue. Just look how UT and MUO merged together as one university and how efficient it is one year later.
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1070
ilovetoledo

Merger

No one really answered my question. Will there still be maumee, monclova, waterville, etc. or will it all be toledo?
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #1071
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I read somethin interesting on a Cedar Point website i go to called Guidetothepoint.com about a Marina District in Sandusky at Battery Park. Theres an article about it in the Sandusky register. There calling for 300 residential condominiums, retail space, a hotel and a marina and to revamp battery park area
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #1072
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
No one really answered my question. Will there still be maumee, monclova, waterville, etc. or will it all be toledo?
ilovetoledo, I certainly DID TOO answer your question. Now let me copy & paste for you: There have been a lot of discussions underway for the past few years about unigov by combining Toledo and Lucas County that will still give the suburbs and townships a position on the unigov level to have fair representation. It's a matter of cutting down duplications and redundancy of services throughout the county and cutting down tax burden, streamlining efficiency, and regional transit system to give the entire county a new level of regionalism. It will be sooner than later for this area to have everyone merge together within Lucas County. So it might not be a direct answer to your question because it is not that simple to say "all" would be Toledo.

Now as far as Maumee Police being named it will probably be still Maumee as goes for Waterville fire, so on, so on. The only thing it will change would be elected official's representation, city's population, level of funding from federal government, county-wide public transit, city, county, township road and highway department would be merged, city, county, township water/sewer department would be merged, so on, so on. Library, Health Department, Children's services, Planning Offices, etc, etc have already been merged as city-county wide services.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; November 12th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #1073
Bonjourtoledo

GM Powertrain Development Update

Toledo plant could build transmissions for SUV
November 12, 2007 - TOLEDO, Ohio (AP)
Posted on WTVG 13 ABC website

A General Motors transmission plant could be producing parts for gas-electric hybrid vehicles by 2011, a newspaper reported Saturday.
The plans are included in a new four-year contract the company ratified with the United Auto Workers last month, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported. The contract calls for the plant to begin making the "Gen II Hybrid" rear-wheel-drive transmission by 2011 or 2012, the newspaper said.

GM will begin selling next month is first generation of the system - several models of full-sized sport utility vehicles for the 2008 model year.

GM spokesman Tom Read would not comment on details of the company's product plans but confirmed that GM has only one rear-wheel-drive hybrid system in the works that could reach a second generation by 2011. A message seeking comment was left at UAW Local 14 in Toledo on Saturday.

GM plans to begin making the first of its truck hybrids in the Chevrolet Tahoe next month. GM has said the vehicle will get about 22 miles per gallon, a 30 percent increase over the gas-only version. The same system will show up on the Cadillac Escalade and several other GM SUVs.

The company plans to launch a similar system for cars next year.

GM calls the system a "two-mode" hybrid because the vehicles operate on electricity alone at low speeds, and electricity boosts power output at high speeds.

On the big vehicles, GM has coupled the hybrid with advanced engine advancement such as displacement on demand, a system that shuts down four cylinders of a V-8 engine at highway speeds when it doesn't need as much power.

Adding such a system to Toledo would be the latest commitment GM has made to the plant, which employs 3,400. In two separate announcements earlier this year, GM outlined plans to spend $832 million to upgrade portions of the plant.

The upgrades will allow GM to produce six-speed truck transmissions next year and six-speed car transmissions by 2010.

Moving to six-speed systems for the current four-speed models could boost miles per gallon by about 10 percent, GM officials said in announcing the plans.

In addition to the hybrid systems, the UAW contract says Toledo should get another new product in 2012 - a racing-inspired transmission for the next version of the Corvette.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #1074
Bonjourtoledo

Portside Marketplace should make a comeback????

Now with COSi on it's way out by end of this year as they depart the 100,000 square foot Portside Marketplace facility. It's time to restore the marketplace into a shopping mall that would cater to downtown, central city residents, and out-of-towners. This will pump in new jobs, tax revenue, and economy into the downtown area as the new arena opens in fall of 2009 and the large-scale development of the Marina District.

You have the Crowne Plaza Hotel that will undergo a $6+ million makeover, the One Seagate Tower attracting new tenants after Fifth Third Bank is relocating in the tower, HCR Manor Care is committed in staying in Toledo, and the Water Street Steam Plant converting into market-rate housing which is all around the Portside Marketplace. Keep in mind, the Portside is connected through the CitiWalk (underground "city") to Seagate Convention Centre, One Seagate Tower ground level promenade, Crowne Plaza Hotel, ample of parking garages, and Key Bank which should be popular with pedestrians especially during rainy and snowy days.

Here are some of the retails/restaurants that I've mentioned before about what is needed for downtown and it would be perfect for Portside:
1) Game Stop Store
2) Books-A-Million or Borders Book Store
3) Starbuck's Coffee
4) Scrambler's Marie Cafe
5) FedEx Kinko's
6) Walgreen's with Pharmacy
7) Radio Shack
8) Panera Bread
9) Cinnabon
10) Chipolte
11) GNC store
12) Ben Franklin Store
13) Steve & Barry's University Sportswear
14) Caribou Coffee
15) Chico's
16) Bath & Body Works
17) Victoria's Secret Beauty
18) Hallmark's Store
19) Apple Computer Store
20) Dakota Watchworks
21) Sunglass Hut
22) Osterman Jewelers
23) LensCrafters
24) Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
25) Great Steak & Potato Co.
26) Jamba Juice
27) Einstein Bros. Bagels
28) Pinkberry
29) Eddie Bauer
30) Eddie Bauer Home Store
31) Aveda Environmental Lifestyle Store
32) Chick-fil-A
33) Crabtree & Evelyn
34) Nordstrom Rack
35) The Andersons Market
36) UT Rockets Store
37) Cheesecake Factory Restaurant

Portside Marketplace with the shining blue roof:

HCR Manor (across the street from Portside Marketplace):

Key Bank (south side of Portside):

Water Street Steam Plant (south side of Portside):

Soon-to-be Crowne Plaza Hotel which is connected to Portsideon the north:

One Seagate Tower (largest structure that is connected to Portside):

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #1075
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Something is off about this picture. Clearly, this was taken from across the river since Disalle Government Center (330 feet tall) is completely dwarfed by One Seagate (440 feet tall). The 14-story hotel (taller than whatever is being built in this picture) is to the left of One Seagate, not the right. What are they building to the right of One Seagate in this picture? Did they just flip the picture? Was something being torn down? I don't remember any buildings between One Seagate and Cherry Street for as long as I can remember (that section of Cherry Street was sadly leveled/"urban renewed" in the 60's and 70's). The area where those cranes are is an atrium/park for the tower, not a mid-rise like in this picture. I'm assuming it's a demolition, but I can't remember anything being torn down there after One Seagate was built. I'm baffled.

As this picture clearly shows, there's nothing between One Seagate and Cherry Street other than the tower's two-story atrium which is blocked by the trees.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; November 13th, 2007 at 06:24 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #1076
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post

Something is off about this picture. Clearly, this was taken from across the river since Disalle Government Center (330 feet tall) is completely dwarfed by One Seagate (440 feet tall). The 14-story hotel (taller than whatever is being built in this picture) is to the left of One Seagate, not the right. What are they building to the right of One Seagate in this picture? Did they just flip the picture? Was something being torn down? I don't remember any buildings between One Seagate and Cherry Street for as long as I can remember (that section of Cherry Street was sadly leveled/"urban renewed" in the 60's and 70's). The area where those cranes are is an atrium/park for the tower, not a mid-rise like in this picture. I'm assuming it's a demolition, but I can't remember anything being torn down there after One Seagate was built. I'm baffled.

As this picture clearly shows, there's nothing between One Seagate and Cherry Street other than the tower's two-story atrium which is blocked by the trees.

That is quite interesting that you pointed it out and I never thought of it, I think I can came up with three structures that I believe it may be in construction during the early 80s (if I were to judge on the distortment of the photo).

1) Vistula Parking Garage

or

2) The Madonna Homes

or

3) Maritime Plaza

or something was about to be built but never came to a finish. Sounds like a great research project.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1077
Bonjourtoledo

GM Powertrain Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #1078
Bonjourtoledo

COSi Latest Development

Old November 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1079
Bonjourtoledo

Lagrange Neighborhood Development Update

Old November 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1080
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Now with COSi on it's way out by end of this year as they depart the 100,000 square foot Portside Marketplace facility. It's time to restore the marketplace into a shopping mall that would cater to downtown, central city residents, and out-of-towners. This will pump in new jobs, tax revenue, and economy into the downtown area as the new arena opens in fall of 2009 and the large-scale development of the Marina District.

You have the Crowne Plaza Hotel that will undergo a $6+ million makeover, the One Seagate Tower attracting new tenants after Fifth Third Bank is relocating in the tower, HCR Manor Care is committed in staying in Toledo, and the Water Street Steam Plant converting into market-rate housing which is all around the Portside Marketplace. Keep in mind, the Portside is connected through the CitiWalk (underground "city") to Seagate Convention Centre, One Seagate Tower ground level promenade, Crowne Plaza Hotel, ample of parking garages, and Key Bank which should be popular with pedestrians especially during rainy and snowy days.

Here are some of the retails/restaurants that I've mentioned before about what is needed for downtown and it would be perfect for Portside:
1) Game Stop Store
2) Books-A-Million or Borders Book Store
3) Starbuck's Coffee
I think the days of Portside as a commercial center were over before they began. Downtown is an event destination, not a shopping destination. Plus, most of the stores you named can also be found at other malls in the area - why drive five miles out of your way to pay to park to shop at the same old stores? An Apple Store, Trader Joe's, etc might draw some people, but why should those stores locate in an office district surrounded by low-income neighborhoods, rather than around Franklin Park? It would be a bad business decision. The city should, as it is, focus first on residential construction in downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, and the retail will eventually follow.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote