daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #1101
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

does anybody know what is going to be put in by the property by the zoo that was just leveled? Is that the zoo's? and if so are they planning to expand because i think that would be highly supported by the community
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #1102
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

^It was the Haughton Factory. I don't think there are any plans for the property.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1103
Pilliod Njaim

Im sorry to say that Maumee does have a downtown and a very sucessful one at that. Almost at full ocupancy with a wide range of bars, shops, and resturaunts.

I said that unlike what you see in Oregon, Maumee, Perrysburg, and Sylvania have downtowns. You must of misread what I said. Maumee and Perrysburg have great downtowns. Sylvania's is smaller, but cute. Though really, Bowling Green, Monroe, and Port Clinton are the best downtowns in the region outside of downtown Toledo.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #1104
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

UT Development & News

UT named among best employers in academia
By Jon Strunk Nov 13, 2007
Posted on the UT Website

The University of Toledo has been named to the 2007 list of the 40 Best Places to Work in Academia by The Scientist, a magazine that focuses on the life sciences.

UT is ranked 27th in the nation, and the magazine identifies the University’s environment and research infrastructure and compensation levels as the two primary strengths highlighted by employees.

Dr. Brian Ashburner, UT associate professor of biological sciences, said rankings such as these generate exposure that helps recruit top faculty and students to the University.

“Once people realize that we have these active research programs on the Main Campus and the Health Science Campus, it really makes UT very attractive,” Ashburner said. “Faculty positions are really competitive, and any time you’re on the same list as institutions like Massachusetts General or Duke University, it’s a definite advantage.”

Dr. Doug Wilkerson, vice president for research administration, said the listing was just one more example of the way the perception of UT was changing.

“The availability of research space is something we’re always conscious of, something we’re always working to increase and enhance,” Wilkerson said. “I think that commitment is being recognized among our own faculty, and rankings like those in The Scientist serve to highlight that for potential faculty or students interested in research.”

While agreeing with Wilkerson that there are always enhancements that can be made, Ashburner said that his research space was as good as he’s experienced anywhere.

“One thing faculty candidates are always surprised about is the amount of high-quality research taking place at UT,” he said. “It’s important to get word out.”

The data for the rankings were gathered from responses from tenured and tenure-track life scientists to a Web-based questionnaire issued by The Scientist.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #1105
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Im sorry to say that Maumee does have a downtown and a very sucessful one at that. Almost at full ocupancy with a wide range of bars, shops, and resturaunts.

I said that unlike what you see in Oregon, Maumee, Perrysburg, and Sylvania have downtowns. You must of misread what I said. Maumee and Perrysburg have great downtowns. Sylvania's is smaller, but cute. Though really, Bowling Green, Monroe, and Port Clinton are the best downtowns in the region outside of downtown Toledo.
Don't forget Findlay. They even have Scrambler's Cafe in downtown Grrrrrrrr.
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1106
Pilliod Njaim

^I never really considered Findlay part of Toledo's region. The MSA is Lucas, Ottawa, Wood, and Fulton Counties, and Toledo media saturates Monroe and Adrian. Findlay? Not so much. It's more cut off, and at 40 miles away is stretching the limit. They have an amazing downtown, though. In the state of Ohio, only Athens has a better downtown than Findlay. It's the best non-college downtown in the state by far- healthy, occupied, and the functional heart of the city. The irony of this is that Findlay is conservative, a group of people not typically associated with such strong urban development. Findlay is the Grand Rapids mindest in Ohio- influenced heavily by big business, but preserving urban structure. Most people associate conservatives with suburbia (which is usually true), but cities like Findlay and Grand Rapids buck the trend.

Findlay's downtown is also HUGE for a city its size, and all the nearby neighborhoods are healthy, walkable, and historic. It's like a larger, more conservative, non-Great Lakes version of Monroe, Michigan. They both have healthy cores, outstanding architecture, great nearby neighborhoods, and still relatively limited sprawl (though I-75 is starting to change that in both cities).

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; November 15th, 2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #1107
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District: Ferry Terminal Development News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:02 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1108
Pilliod Njaim

^Awesome
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1109
ilovetoledo

COSI...

I dont mean to tell you my life story. But today i got like 8 people together and went to Cosi to see it for the last time and it was the saddest thing. The staff is really hurting by this loss because most of them LOVE their job as teaching children. A worker there was telling me how a little kid said that he had 25 dollars in his piggie bank and was willing to give it to COSI if they could just stay open. HOW DEPRESSING! Im sorry but this is totally hurting everybody. The voters are 18 years and older. How about a vote for 18 years and under. If a vote were to be taken in every TPS to ask students if they want Cosi to stay open. Hands down most if not every student would raise their hand to stay open. I love Cosi and to see it close is going to kill me. I hope, and i pray that god will find some sort of funding for Cosi to be able to stay open. The workers and the children are hoping for a miracle, its up to God to make this happen...
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1110
Bonjourtoledo

Keep praying.....as I always say...when one door closes there's always another door opening.
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #1111
Pilliod Njaim

A worker there was telling me how a little kid said that he had 25 dollars in his piggie bank and was willing to give it to COSI if they could just stay open.

Wow, that is really, really sad. It almost brings a tear to your eye.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #1112
ilovetoledo

Please Visit http://www.cositoledo.org/ and do the 3 things that Cosi says that could save them. Please lets get people to write letters to all of the people they listed and voice our great heartbreak and request additional funding in our time of need. PLEASE everyone reading this partisipate and HELP SAVE COSI TOLEDO BEFORE ITS TOO LATE...
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #1113
ilovetoledo

I used to like Mayor Carty Finbeiner but somethings are questionable...

WTVG--November 16, 2007 - A loss of money could mean the end of CitiFest and a Toledo tradition. CitiFest made a big announcement today about its future and what is ahead for the holiday parade. One of Toledo's long-standing traditions will continue in 2007. As for future holiday parades, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner announced yesterday Toledo will no longer fund CitiFest, the parade's organizer. So this year's parade is a go, but CitiFest itself will be out of business effective December 7. The CitiFest board volunteers will remain, but three employees will lose their jobs.
On Tuesday, the city took control of Erie Street Market, which CitiFest once managed or mismanaged according to the mayor. He disputes the group's claim the city owes it $91,000 for losses at the market. The results of an accounting audit into CitiFest's books are due the end of next week. For now, CitiFest hopes sponsors will step forward to keep traditions like the parade, River Fest and the 4th of July celebrations going in downtown Toledo.
We should have those results of the CitiFest audit in about two weeks. The holiday parade is November 24 from 11 to 12:30 downtown. Sam Hornish Jr. will be the grand marshal.

Maybe we should write to the mayor about keeping this tradition. What is going on with Downtown lately. All i hear is bad news and its really depressing
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1114
ilovetoledo

check out the new designs for the new coking plant that is supposed to be going in Toledo... http://www.fdscokeplant.com/
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1115
bhagavadgita

I know this is a development thread but I believe I saw one of the Toledo members post something similar before, what is the current homicide total in Toledo? I know it is alot lower than last year. What do you believe is the major cause/s for the decrease from 35 last year to whatever you are at this year?
bhagavadgita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1116
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
I used to like Mayor Carty Finbeiner but somethings are questionable...

WTVG--November 16, 2007 - A loss of money could mean the end of CitiFest and a Toledo tradition. CitiFest made a big announcement today about its future and what is ahead for the holiday parade. One of Toledo's long-standing traditions will continue in 2007. As for future holiday parades, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner announced yesterday Toledo will no longer fund CitiFest, the parade's organizer. So this year's parade is a go, but CitiFest itself will be out of business effective December 7. The CitiFest board volunteers will remain, but three employees will lose their jobs.
On Tuesday, the city took control of Erie Street Market, which CitiFest once managed or mismanaged according to the mayor. He disputes the group's claim the city owes it $91,000 for losses at the market. The results of an accounting audit into CitiFest's books are due the end of next week. For now, CitiFest hopes sponsors will step forward to keep traditions like the parade, River Fest and the 4th of July celebrations going in downtown Toledo.
We should have those results of the CitiFest audit in about two weeks. The holiday parade is November 24 from 11 to 12:30 downtown. Sam Hornish Jr. will be the grand marshal.

Maybe we should write to the mayor about keeping this tradition. What is going on with Downtown lately. All i hear is bad news and its really depressing
Eh. Erie Street Market will do fine since they have a Farmer's Market and Libbey Glass Outlet has signed a new lease for the next 5-10 years. They are doing great business in the Civic Promenade Banquet Hall.

Non-profit Citifest has been in financial trouble before and they will get themselves out with corporate sponsors taking care of the debt. Holiday Parade, Rally by the River, Ribs on the River and a few others will stay on course if not by some other group. To me it's all an economic cycle, you will go up high and then you go low, it's a matter of time that it will go back up.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #1117
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
check out the new designs for the new coking plant that is supposed to be going in Toledo... http://www.fdscokeplant.com/
Good thing that the U.S. Coking Plant is still a reality. Good paying jobs for the region is much needed.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1118
Bonjourtoledo

Latest U.S. Urban Crime Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagavadgita View Post
I know this is a development thread but I believe I saw one of the Toledo members post something similar before, what is the current homicide total in Toledo? I know it is alot lower than last year. What do you believe is the major cause/s for the decrease from 35 last year to whatever you are at this year?
Last time I've heard it's about 10 or 11 homicide so far for this year versus to 25-28 same time last year. Major cause for decrease in my opinion, active blockwatch efforts city-wide, aftermath of the death of Det. Dressel, economy shaping up, and diverse police efforts (bikes, mount patrol).

MOST DANGEROUS 25:
1. Detroit, 407.2
2. St. Louis, 406.2
3. Flint, Mich., 381.0
4. Oakland, Calif., 338.9
5. Camden, N.J., 323.8
6. Birmingham, Ala., 268.8
7. North Charleston, S.C., 254.3
8. Memphis, 245.6
9. Richmond, Calif., 245.1
10. Cleveland, 244.4
11. Orlando, Fla., 237.4
12. Baltimore, 236.7
13. Little Rock, 233.8
14. Compton, Calif., 223.6
15. Youngstown , 222.0
16. Cincinnati, 218.3
17. Gary, Ind., 214.0
18. Kansas City, Mo., 203.4
19. Dayton, 201.5
20. Newark, N.J., 197.3
21. Philadelphia, 192.9
22. Atlanta, 189.9
23. Jackson, Miss., 188.8
24. Buffalo, 187.8
25. Kansas City , 187.6

SAFEST CITIES
A list of the least dangerous cities with at least 75,000 residents. The danger score uses zero as the national average.

1. Mission Viejo, Calif., -82.1
2. Clarkstown, N.Y., -81.0
3. Brick Township, N.J., -78.7
4. Amherst, N.Y., -75.4
5. Sugar Land, Texas, -75.4
6. Colonie, N.Y., -74.6
7. Thousand Oaks, Calif., -73.8
8. Newton, Mass., -73.5
9. Toms River Township, N.J. -72.7
10. Lake Forest, Calif., -71.7
11. Irvine, Calif., -71.1
12. Orem, Utah, -70.6
13. Round Rock, Texas, -69.4
14. Cary, N.C., -68.6
15. Greece, N.Y., -68.5
16. Chino Hills, Calif., -63.2
17. Coral Springs, Fla., -62.0
18. Troy, Mich., -61.8
19. Farmington Hills, Mich., -61.7
20. Centennial, Colo., -61.3
21. Glendale, Calif., -59.2
22. Broken Arrow, Okla., -58.8
23. Parma, Ohio, -58.8
24. Sterling Heights, Mich., -58.5
25. Simi Valley, Calif., -58.5

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1119
Bonjourtoledo

Levis Commons Development Update

Old November 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #1120
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Metro: Solar Tech Boom