daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1141
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

UT Science & Technology Corridor Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1142
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

Holy crap that is really good news. So does that mean more jobs? More oeople relocating to Toledo...? I really just wanna watch this renewable energy thing take off. I hope and pray to god that it will happen soon
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1143
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Sale of historic Perrysburg building is likely

good, good, good. That's one of the best buildings in historic Perrysburg.

Now that I'm home for winter break, I'm going to be exploring the new projects in metro Toledo, and Uptown Maumee is looking sweet with its Christmas lights.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1144
ilovetoledo

Southwyck Update (Council Second Guesses)

TOLEDO -- The City of Toledo wants to buy property at Southwyck Mall, but that plan is coming under the microscope.

Legislation for the city to purchase more than 11 acres of the mall property is going before council for approval, reports News 11's Rob Wiercinski.

At least one member of council and a soon-to-be councilman tell News 11 they have serious concerns about the city spending a little over $1 million to buy the Dillard's Store and a portion of the parking lot at Southwyck.

They fear the quick timeline for this purchase might end up costing the city.

Councilman-elect Mike Collins has sent a letter to the mayor and members of council saying there's a disconnect between comments made by the mayor and what's on paper.

"He alludes that Dillin or some other person within 30 days is going to purchase the property. That is not found within the ordinance," Collins says, referring to developer Larry Dillin.

Councilwoman Betty Shultz also has her concerns. She's worried the city could end up being on the hook for environmental clean-up.

"My understanding is that we haven't yet made an environmental study, so I'd rather have that before we put out money that belongs to the taxpayers for it," Shultz says, adding that considering the city continues to pay for real estate deals from the past, she has every right to raise a red flag about a $1 million transaction.

"We need reasonable assurances that we're not going to be risking those dollars in that manner again, because if that's the case, we won't have any capital improvement money," Shultz says.

Collins says he's hoping the administration will provide answers before council is expected to approve the deal in two weeks time. "I am going to hold the administration accountable for every single penny it spends."

The only response coming from the mayor's office is confirmation that they received the letter from Collins.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #1145
nickw311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Sale of historic Perrysburg building is likely

good, good, good. That's one of the best buildings in historic Perrysburg.

Now that I'm home for winter break, I'm going to be exploring the new projects in metro Toledo, and Uptown Maumee is looking sweet with its Christmas lights.

How is that good that the building was bought? My understanding is that the developer is going to tear down the building and put in a strip mall.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1146
ilovetoledo

its better than looking at an old building that has no use anymore...
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #1147
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
How is that good that the building was bought? My understanding is that the developer is going to tear down the building and put in a strip mall.
Oh jesus, you're right. I didn't read the whole article. This is terrible! I guess Perrysburg is no longer interested in historic preservation.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:43 AM   #1148
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Penta Center to open a year early...... This was from the neighbors east section of the blade yesterday... I heard the old penta will go to Owens.... anyone hear anything about this?? If so it will be a nice addition to the already thriving campus of Owens Community College
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1149
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Penta Center to open a year early...... This was from the neighbors east section of the blade yesterday... I heard the old penta will go to Owens.... anyone hear anything about this?? If so it will be a nice addition to the already thriving campus of Owens Community College
Yes, Penta will be opening a year early and the old Penta will be adding onto the existing campus of OSCC. I certainly hope they improve the access road (Buck Road) from I-75 to the campus through the Aimpoint Industrial Park.

IMO, OSCC should consider opening a full-time Lucas County campus perhaps downtown Toledo or West Toledo, even as they just recently opened up a Training class center at the Source on Monroe & 14th Street.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1150
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee: The Boulevard

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1151
Bonjourtoledo

First Solar Inc. Development News

It's time for First Solar Inc. to relocate their world headquarters from Phoenix to the Toledo metro so they can be closer to their only gigantic solar plant(s) in North America. Since the economic development team/elected officials are tight-lipped about it, they should consider either downtown Toledo, Arrowhead Business Park, UT Health Science Campus or nearby First Solar plant on Route 795 to build a world headquarters. My first choice would be downtown Toledo as they should buy/rehab the Hytower Building; or move into One Seagate Tower or Lake Erie Center for centrality purposes.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #1152
Bonjourtoledo

Solar Tech Boom Development Update

Oh Boy, a North American headquarters in downtown Toledo or the UT Health Science campus would be a great boost for this region. Let's hope they consider state of Ohio and particularly our region for their choice and since Toledo region is becoming a Solar Tech booming region of the nation it would make sense to choose Toledo.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM   #1153
Bonjourtoledo

BGSU Convocation Center Development

Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1154
Bonjourtoledo

BGSU Development News

BGSU ‘dream’ quietly comes true: Campaign reaches $120 million goal; trustees announce $150 million in building projects
By HAROLD BROWN Sentinel City Editor
Posted on BG-Sentinel website

HURON — Bowling Green State University’s $120 million Building Dreams Campaign broke through its announced goal Friday with little fanfare.
Later Friday the university quietly announced $150 million worth of building and renovation projects intended to enhance academics, the arts and athletics. The projects will be funded by private gifts, state funds and bonded debt.

“Sometime this afternoon (Friday) we’ll reach that $120 million goal,” Trustee Robert Sebo told the board meeting at the BGSU Firelands campus. “But it’s no big deal. We’ve still got a year-and-a-half to go and a lot of big projects in that goal have not been fully funded. It’s still alive. We’ve got more goals to meet.”

One of those goals is $14 million in private gifts toward an estimated $36 million for a convocation center. To be constructed east of Mercer Road in the vicinity of the Ice Arena and Doyt Perry Stadium, the center will be the new home for men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, commencement, student concerts and other student-related events. Those events have been held in Memorial Hall’s Anderson Arena since 1961.
Construction is to begin early in 2010 with occupancy planned about September 2012.

Although no seating capacity has been announced, the number is rumored to be no more than 5,500.
“I think we have a decent mix of academic and athletic enhancements,” Board President Mike Marsh said Friday night.
“I know we’ve scaled back the convo center more than some people would like to see, but we’re not going to be able to build a mini Schottenstein Center (Ohio State). It’s not in our universe.”

Marsh said he was among those who pressed for a renovation of the existing Memorial Hall, but the cost was as much or more as starting over. “The Title IX and ADA issues in that (old) building just make it too expensive.”
The convocation center has been the subject of several studies the past several years that also looked at the possibility of including a sheet of ice for hockey.

However, the university has chosen to go with a multi-million-dollar renovation of its Ice Arena.
The work will begin with infrastructure and exterior building work in spring 2009. Funds provided by private gifts will pay for team and fan amenities. The arena was opened in 1967.
There’s been no secret about the $38.5 million Wolfe Center for the Arts that will be built where Saddlemire Student Services Building was demolished last summer.

Housing the Department of Theatre and Film, the Wolfe Center should be ready for occupancy by the end of 2010.
“Each of these projects will add to the enrichment and quality of student life and learning on campus, as well as provide a positive impact on the community,” BGSU President Sidney Ribeau said in a press release.
Renovation projects are planned for University, Hanna and Moseley halls, academic buildings that date to the earliest days of the university.
A $22.7 million renovation and addition are planned for the Student Health Center. That work should start late in 2009.
McDonald dining hall is scheduled for renovation and additional studies are under way for improvements and renovations to residence halls and small group living units.

Provost Shirley Baugher, who joined the staff this year, is reviewing a facilities audit and will also make use of a nearly-completed strategic planning document to help set priorities for academic facilities.
“A superior learning experience is a long-standing tradition at BGSU, from our eminent faculty to the quality of our facilities,” she said.
“Through this process we will continue to invest in academics.
Upgrading classrooms and science laboratories, as well as enhancing the overall learning environment for our students, are top priorities,” she said in a statement.

Friday the trustees authorized spending more than $2 million to upgrade the electrical infrastructure of McDonald Quadrangle and to rebuild and relocate the McDonald and Offenhauer cooling tower.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM   #1155
Bonjourtoledo

Penta Vocational Development Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
It's official
Penta Career Center to open new school next fall
Posted on The Messenger-Journal website 11-28-2007

Months of rumor and conjecture were put to rest on November 14, when the Penta Career Center Board of Education announced that the new career center will be open to students for the start of the 2008-09 school year.
Superintendent Fred Susor said the school expects to take possession of the building by mid-July 2008.

"We are very pleased that the construction project has progressed at this pace to be able to open earlier than originally expected," he said, adding, "We've been fortunate throughout the construction process."
Joel Nedrow, Rudolph Libbe project manager, said several factors contributed to the early completion of the building, including the ability to perform site work several months ahead of schedule and ideal weather conditions. "We were able to take advantage of the weather," he said.

Mr. Nedrow also credited the construction crews and 13 prime contractors. "The big thing was the cooperation of the contractors." He added, "We have great trades people in northwest Ohio."

The project manager acknowledged that the time frame for completion did allow leeway for "unforeseen circumstances."
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1156
Bonjourtoledo

Commodore Building Development Update

Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1157
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

What are the latest high-rise proposals for Toledo right now?
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1158
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
What are the latest high-rise proposals for Toledo right now?
None at this time. But the Marina District might have some hi-rise development in the long-run, it's a matter of the national housing market and economy to improve in order to enable such developments.

However, I am hopeful for the rehabilitation of the former OC Hytower Building (second tallest hi-rise in the Toledo metro) that has been vacant since 1997. Maybe once the new downtown arena opens in fall of 2009, it will breathe new life into the building.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM   #1159
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

Yeah, that would be totally cool! Thanks!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM   #1160
ilovetoledo

Hytower

In 10 years this building will not be empty still espically when we have a lot of things going in downtown toledo such as
  • The New Arena
    Marina District
    Growth of the Warehouse District
    Possible Location for a World Headquarters and much more with renewable energy companies looking to build their empires