daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1161
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

What are the latest high-rise proposals for Toledo right now?

There are no realistic high-rise proposals right now. Some guy who made a documentary on the new bridge proposed a new 14-story building next to it, but he never had funding.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #1162
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Yea I was hopin that glass city skyway center would happen but looks like it will be a no go.... So will BGSU keep Anderson Arena and use it for a field house? I hope they do keep it the buidling has seen many great players and i believe they hold classes there as well so it has also held many great minds..... Anyone see the news today? the story about the interior of the arena? Not much was shown just a few shots of some tile carpet color schemes. Was hopin for the actual drawings of the inside and what the final plan for the outside will be. Is there any time line for them to put out the final drawings? I remember 5th 3rd switched there plans up some after construction started.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1163
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Solar Tech Boom Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1164
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Yea I was hopin that glass city skyway center would happen but looks like it will be a no go.... So will BGSU keep Anderson Arena and use it for a field house? I hope they do keep it the buidling has seen many great players and i believe they hold classes there as well so it has also held many great minds..... Anyone see the news today? the story about the interior of the arena? Not much was shown just a few shots of some tile carpet color schemes. Was hopin for the actual drawings of the inside and what the final plan for the outside will be. Is there any time line for them to put out the final drawings? I remember 5th 3rd switched there plans up some after construction started.
I do think they will keep Anderson Arena and usually the convocation center are used like a Student Recreation Center (i.e. UT Rec Center) and other multi-purpose activities, but I could be wrong.

I want purple color...no I want pink....NO I WANT ORANGE! I can see it now, lol!
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1165
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Yea I was hopin that glass city skyway center would happen but looks like it will be a no go.... So will BGSU keep Anderson Arena and use it for a field house? I hope they do keep it the buidling has seen many great players and i believe they hold classes there as well so it has also held many great minds.
I heard something about the gymnastics team using it. Right now they are in a regular building that has classes in it.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1166
Pilliod Njaim

Yea I was hopin that glass city skyway center would happen but looks like it will be a no go.... So will BGSU keep Anderson Arena and use it for a field house?

No offense to BG, but the BG arena needs a serious renovation or a new venue entirely. It's pretty bad compared to some other MAC areans. My school's arena is three times the size of Anderson. UT's renovated Savage Hall will be large by MAC standards and also quite nice. BG deserves something better and more comparable.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1167
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Federal Courthouse Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #1168
Bonjourtoledo

BP-Husky Oil Refinery Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #1169
BGFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Yea I was hopin that glass city skyway center would happen but looks like it will be a no go.... So will BGSU keep Anderson Arena and use it for a field house?

No offense to BG, but the BG arena needs a serious renovation or a new venue entirely. It's pretty bad compared to some other MAC areans. My school's arena is three times the size of Anderson. UT's renovated Savage Hall will be large by MAC standards and also quite nice. BG deserves something better and more comparable.
There is an article on the last page or 2 saying that BG is building a new convocation center where the basketball and volleyball teams will play.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1170
Bonjourtoledo

BP-Husky Oil Refinery Development UPDATE

Old December 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1171
Bonjourtoledo

BG: Cla-Zel Redevelopment Update

Cla-Zel will become venue for live music
By DAVID DUPONT Sentinel Arts & Entertainment Editor
Posted on BG-Sentinel website 12-6-2007

The marquee on the Cla-Zel in downtown Bowling Green will be ablaze again.
A group of investors CLA-ZEL Encore has purchased the movie theater from the community corporation that has owned it since 2000.

Andy Halleck and Tony Dishop, two of the new owners, said they are planning to convert the movie theater into a bar and venue for live music.
“We plan to create an upscale entertainment facility here,” Halleck said.
The idea, Dishop said, is to appeal to baby boomers, especially 30-somethings like themselves who have few entertainment options in town now and who have fond memories of going to movies at the Cla-Zel.
Dishop said he saw his first movie, “Star Wars,” here.
Halleck remembers going out on his first date with his wife Deena (Roe) when they were in ninth grade.

For them seeing the building sit idle has been hard.
“We’ve just been watching it go down hill,” he said. “I’ve been driving by it for years thinking something should be done.”
CLA-ZEL Encore paid $275,000 to Cla-Zel LLC for the theater. That group has tried in vain to generate community support to revive the theater as a community arts center. It stopped showing films regularly in spring, 2005, after several years of losing money. Since, it has been used sporadically mostly for class reunions, the Black Swamp Arts Festival and university events.

“The building was just sitting, deteriorating,” said Richard Newlove, the president of Cla-Zel LLC. In addition to the purchase price the group invested thousands more in trying to maintain the theater.
Cla-Zel LLC paid $240,000 in 2000 to buy the 80-year-old theater, which was designed by Jack Raney, after it was learned a church group was interested in buying it. Downtown businesses were concerned at the time about losing the theater as a daily operation.

The initial community support for the project to make it into a community arts venue was strong, Newlove said. But it faded over time.
“Nobody came to the movies, nobody came to the performances,” said Floyd Craft, one of the original Cla-Zel investors. “It was the same few people every time.” The investors, he said, were thankful for their support.
Now “I’m hopeful that it’s an asset to the community,” he said.
Halleck expects some people may object to the new owners’ plans. But he said the group has worked hard to put together a plan that fits the building. They took three months, he said, to get the financing all arranged.
And the new owners plan to maintain as much of the look of the building as possible, including maintaining the deteriorating marquee, Halleck said.
They plan to make significant investment into the building and plan to open for business in mid-July, 2008, he said. “There’s a tremendous amount of work.”

Inside handicapped accessible rest rooms need to be installed. The wall between the theater and the lobby will be removed, though the concessions counter will be retained. Upstairs the screening room, balcony and a storage room will be converted into a room to host small receptions and meetings.
The owners will draw on local restaurants to cater those events since the theater will not have kitchen facilities.
Halleck said the plan was to have jazz and blues featured earlier in the night, drawing on talents from Bowling Green State University. They plan to purchase a grand piano, Halleck said.

Later at night, the venue will host shows by national touring artists, the type of act that makes the fair circuit in the summer, he said. He plans for a minimum of two such performances a month. A night featuring local bands is also a possibility.
Opening as a brew pub would be one way for securing a liquor license, Halleck said, but the owners are exploring other options as well.
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #1172
ddp

Columbus Dispatch article on Toledo

For what it's worth...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_HF8M4C8.html
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1173
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development Update

Old December 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1174
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Coking Plant Development Update

Old December 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1175
ilovetoledo

That was a great article from the Columbus Dispatch promoting Toledo!
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1176
Pilliod Njaim

^They were pretty nice on Toledo compared to the other cities. I loved that whole series. Bravo for that well-researched and grimly accurate portrayal of Ohio's cities, including "thriving" (annexing) Columbus.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1177
Bonjourtoledo

Energy-Friendly Plant Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #1178
Bonjourtoledo

Fed Ex Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #1179
Bonjourtoledo

Fallen Timbers Development: Staybridge Suites

$10M+ hotel to locate in
Fallen Timbers Business Park
Posted on Toledo Business Journal website 12-2007 Edition

Construction has begun on a Staybridge Suites extended stay hotel near The Shops at Fallen Timbers in Maumee. Fargo, North Dakota-based Tharaldson Development is the owner of the hotel and is working with General Growth Properties, Inc. (GGP), developer of The Shops at Fallen Timbers. According to Jared Schillinger, land acquisitions for Tharaldson, the hotel will be finished around August.

The hotel will be located in the new Fallen Timbers Business Park. Owned by Tom Duvall, the development includes the 0.33-mile long Choctaw Drive with concrete curbs and gutters, storm and sanitary sewers, and waterlines. The business park will be on 20 acres south of The Shops at Fallen Timbers and across Russell Road. It will have two four-story buildings with 208,000 square feet of offices, a bank, and the Staybridge Suites hotel.

Jerry W. Malek, CCIM, Michael Realty Company is the exclusive commercial real estate representative for the business park.

“With the completion of Choctaw Drive as well as its infrastructure, we are excited about the future of the Fallen Timbers Business Park,” Malek stated. “Its proximity to US 24 and I-475 / US 23 and flexible lot sizes ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 acres will draw a great mix of businesses.”

Schillinger explained that the hotel site selection was strongly influenced by the new mall. “We like high density population areas, and we like [locating near] new retail with freeway visibility,” he stated.

Industry sources advise that the project investment will be approximately $10 to $15 million. The four-story hotel will include 117 rooms and 110,000 square feet. It will be designed similarly to existing Staybridge Hotels.

A new feature recently launched by the Staybridge Suites brand is free “Wireless Anywhere.” The hotels offer wireless Internet access that is available anywhere on their premises.

“We want our guests to be comfortable wherever they choose to access the Internet during their stay,” stated Robert Radomski, vice president, brand management, Staybridge Suites. “Many of our guests enjoy wireless Internet access at home, so why should they be limited at their home-away-from-home?”

Additionally, Staybridge Suites recently unveiled a new design of the buffet area for its hotels. The redesign will open the wall between the great room and the buffet area, and stools will surround a bar-height, granite-topped island.

“We’ve found through customer research that travelers feel more comfortable in hotel public space that is comparable to the layout of their own home,” added Radomski. “Opening the buffet area to the Staybridge Suites great room while adding an island for seating and conversation is intended for our guests to feel as comfortable as they would in the kitchen of a family member or friend.”

Upgrades such as pendant lighting and stone wall accents in the buffet area will also be part of the new design.

Similar to the “Wireless Anywhere” feature, the new design is intended to provide additional community space in the public areas inviting guests to spend time outside their suites. Bar height tables in the great room, wall-mounted televisions, and a community bulletin board featuring hotel activities are designed to increase guest interaction.

Part of the brand’s latest prototype design, the buffet area enhancements are expected to launch at several of the brand’s hotels this fall and winter.

Staybridge Suites amenities also include three suite types with fully equipped kitchens, a 24-hour convenience store, complimentary 24-hour business center with high-speed Internet access, complimentary guest laundry room, complimentary daily breakfast buffet, and evening Sundowner receptions three days a week.

Staybridge Suites entered the extended-stay market in December 1998 when its headquarters opened in Alpharetta, Georgia. More than 100 Staybridge Suites hotels are currently open and more than 100 are under development.
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1180
Bonjourtoledo

Holland: Schindler Elevator Corp. Development

Schindler’s Holland consolidation to add 80 jobs
Posted on Toledo Business Journal website 12-2007 Edition

Schindler Elevator Corporation (SEC) plans to consolidate its Sidney, Ohio and Morristown, New Jersey operations into the 116,000 square foot Holland, Ohio plant that it currently owns.

“[Schindler] has announced plans to strengthen its service business by consolidating operations into its Center for Service Excellence (CSE) in Holland,” a Schindler corporate communications representative explained. “As part of a strategic improvement, [Schindler is] transferring certain functions from Sidney and Morristown into Holland.”

For example, the Schindler Customer Service Network (SCSN) and Service Engineering (SE) operations currently located in Morristown will move to Holland. These operations will be consolidated into Holland’s existing SCSN and SE operations. Additionally, all operations at the Sidney plant will be integrated into Holland, including PC board repair and SE jobs.

SEC plans to expand in Holland and invest in new building renovations; on-site infrastructure; and new machinery, equipment, furniture, and fixtures. According to the company, the Holland facility is a high-tech after-market service facility where considerable research and development and technical field support solutions will be headquartered.

Ohio was in competition with other states for this more than $4 million project, which is expected to create 80 jobs and retain 176 positions at the site. The company anticipates that employees from Morristown and Sidney will be moving to Holland as a result of the consolidation; Schindler’s total employee headcount in the US will remain at approximately 6,100 people.

According to Schindler, specific information regarding additional machinery and equipment has not yet been established. However, plans are in place to continue growth at the Holland facility over the next several years, and machinery and equipment will be added as it is needed.

For the consolidation, Schindler has been awarded a 55% tax credit for an eight-year term estimated at $527,137. According to officials at the Lucas County Improvement Corporation (LCIC), the former head of the organization, Shawn Ferguson, was instrumental in assisting Schindler with its investment.

“The CSE was established in 2002 after the internal merger of Millar Elevator Service Company into Schindler,” added Schindler’s corporate communication representative. The site “was chosen because, with minimal site adjustments, this existing facility is large enough to accommodate all the anticipated expansions that we have for people in operations. The facility has a legacy of technical elevator and escalator expertise that stretches back to the late 19th century. Schindler feels that, with the history [in Holland], the existing building, and the facilities, that it’s an excellent base for their enhanced operations.”

According to Schindler, it is initiating these changes to strengthen its market competitiveness by improving service delivery levels and customer satisfaction.

The transition of these service functions will be completed by mid-year.

Founded in 1874 in Lucerne, Switzerland by precision engineer Robert Schindler, SEC is the North American operating entity of the Swiss-based Schindler Group, an elevator company and escalator supplier. Schindler’s US operations were established in Toledo in 1979. It moved to Morristown, New Jersey, its current US headquarters, upon acquisition of the elevator and escalator business of Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1989. In 1990, Schindler formed the Millar Elevator Service Company, the first nationwide company specializing in service and modernization of all brands, according to the company. In 2002, Schindler and Millar consolidated operations. SEC currently employs approximately 6,100 full-time people in more than 250 locations in North America.

Schindler manufactures, installs, services, and modernizes internal transport systems for a range of building requirements worldwide. According to the company, it also provides latest-technology engineering as well as mechanical and micro-technology products.

Schindler products can be found in many well-known buildings throughout North America, including office buildings, airports, shopping centers / retail establishments, and specialty buildings. For example, it provided a total of 22 escalators and 19 elevators to the $360 million, 1.2 million square foot Short Pump Town Center’s main structure and five anchor stores in Richmond, Virginia. Short Pump is a two-level, open-air regional mall.

Additionally, Schindler has provided service for The White House (Washington, D.C.), Rockefeller Center (New York, New York), Sears Tower (Chicago, Illinois), and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland, Ohio).