daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1261
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Lenawee County, MI: Wind Power Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1262
djc2e

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Finally the project got the tax credits it needed! What a coincidence of timing if you are aware of the past post in regards to this steam plant project.

DOWNTOWN REDEVELOPMENT
Steam-plant owners get Ohio tax credits
Posted on Toledo Blade website 12-29-2007

Businessmen planning residential redevelopment of Toledo Edison's former downtown steam plant received their long-awaited tax credits yesterday from the Ohio Department of Development.

The steam plant and the old Port Clinton City Hall were among 11historic buildings that were awarded tax credits yesterday through the Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit program, which provides recipients with up to 25 percent of their qualified rehabilitation costs.

Water Street Station Development LLC qualified for an estimated $3.1 million in tax credits on the $21.9 million project.

About $12.5 million in rehabilitation costs qualified for the tax credit.

Developers David Ball and Jim Jackson, who plan to convert the 1895 building to apartments and condominiums, are embroiled in financial and legal disputes with the city of Toledo that have prompted their firm to withhold $64,000 in property-tax payments to Lucas County.

Mr. Ball said Wednesday that a city lawsuit filed in April against Water Street Station, demanding that the redevelopment start immediately or the property deed be returned to the city, demonstrated unrealistic expectations on the city's part.

He indicated that securing the historic preservation tax credits was an important prerequisite to proceeding with the project.

He could not be reached for further comment last night.

The state's announcement yesterday said some 110 applications have been submitted for the preservation tax credits, most recently one for the renovation of the 1884 Seneca County courthouse.

The former Port Clinton City Hall, which was purchased by private investors in 2006, is to receive a tax credit estimated at $625,000 on a $3.7 million project that will create condominiums and a coffee shop inside the long-vacant building.

Approximately $2.5 million of rehabilitation expenses qualified for the tax credit.
Hello, I'm a long time viewer, first time poster... This is great news! I'm curious to see if work really begins on the steam plant now that the credits have been granted. It seems like the developers have been saying all along that the holdup was solely a result of not having those credits in place.

I wonder if it is really a great idea to turn the steam plant into apartments and condos. Are there many windows in the building? The apartment side of the structure won't have great views of the river - they will be facing the relatively ugly key bank building, which also lacks windows.
djc2e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1263
Bonjourtoledo

Bay View Treatment Plant Development

Old December 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1264
Bonjourtoledo

Water Street Steam Plant Development Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc2e View Post
Hello, I'm a long time viewer, first time poster... This is great news! I'm curious to see if work really begins on the steam plant now that the credits have been granted. It seems like the developers have been saying all along that the holdup was solely a result of not having those credits in place.

I wonder if it is really a great idea to turn the steam plant into apartments and condos. Are there many windows in the building? The apartment side of the structure won't have great views of the river - they will be facing the relatively ugly key bank building, which also lacks windows.
Welcome djc2e, I have followed this project for the past couple of years in this thread with endless of posts. You can view them in previous pages, however, I have a link for you to look at the preliminary renderings of the steam plant with "bells & whistles".

Water Street Steam Plant official website:
http://http://www.waterstreettoledo.com/

Be sure to click on "Residences" link on the top of the website to see the actual development plans. From my understanding, the windows and views will be solely facing the river not the back end which is the purpose of people investing in this project.
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1265
ddp

New Dussel/Salisbury Interchange drawings

Not sure if anyone has already posted a link to these interchange drawings yet, but, being the building geek I am, I found them quite intersting (even if I can't make heads or tails of any of the markings / engineering data on it ).

http://www.arrowheadpark.org/interchange.htm

Seems this project is going to take the better part of three years to complete (2010). What struck me was how wide the lanes will be (three lanes per direction, a la Airport Hwy.), and, how deep into Salisbury (west side of 475) and Dussel (east side of 475) the reconstruction will be. This project is going to claim (i.e. eminent domain) property from no less than 80 land owners, ProMedica being the largest looser (based solely on how much of their land will gobbled up b the new east-side cloverleaf and ramps). Perhaps this is why they have yet to build the new medical center? They probably new this procjet was coming, and wanted to wait until it was done (or does someone have info to the contrary?).

Also, can anyone confirm or deny a little bet I have with my wife that Salisbury Road is going to be straightened in front of the creek/golf course, all the way to the next T-intersection light? That "wiggle" is mighty dangerous, and it's bends should be eased, even just a bit. I've seen markings and some utility trucks out there in the recent weeks, digging here and there. Maybe they're planning to work on it at the same time ODOT is doing teh interchange?

So, for those of you (like me) who use that interchange daily, I say, "Happy 2008 New Year!", and "Happy 2009 New Year!," and "Happy 2010 New Year!." My new friends are going to be country roads to the A.W.Trail/Waterville interchange. Oh, what fun
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM   #1266
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
Not sure if anyone has already posted a link to these interchange drawings yet, but, being the building geek I am, I found them quite intersting (even if I can't make heads or tails of any of the markings / engineering data on it ).

http://www.arrowheadpark.org/interchange.htm

Seems this project is going to take the better part of three years to complete (2010). What struck me was how wide the lanes will be (three lanes per direction, a la Airport Hwy.), and, how deep into Salisbury (west side of 475) and Dussel (east side of 475) the reconstruction will be. This project is going to claim (i.e. eminent domain) property from no less than 80 land owners, ProMedica being the largest looser (based solely on how much of their land will gobbled up b the new east-side cloverleaf and ramps). Perhaps this is why they have yet to build the new medical center? They probably new this procjet was coming, and wanted to wait until it was done (or does someone have info to the contrary?).

Also, can anyone confirm or deny a little bet I have with my wife that Salisbury Road is going to be straightened in front of the creek/golf course, all the way to the next T-intersection light? That "wiggle" is mighty dangerous, and it's bends should be eased, even just a bit. I've seen markings and some utility trucks out there in the recent weeks, digging here and there. Maybe they're planning to work on it at the same time ODOT is doing teh interchange?

So, for those of you (like me) who use that interchange daily, I say, "Happy 2008 New Year!", and "Happy 2009 New Year!," and "Happy 2010 New Year!." My new friends are going to be country roads to the A.W.Trail/Waterville interchange. Oh, what fun
From the regional priority road project standpoint (via TMACOG), Dussell/Salisbury interhchange is one of the four major road projects (i.e. new Promedica Parkway interchange, I-75/475 split expansion, and new U.S. 24) to be done in the next 3-5 years since the new I-280 bridge is now complete.

The Salisbury road portion (west of I-475) will only be taken care of from the freeway to Briarsfield Boulevard and anything west will be untouched because of the local opposition. I dislike that area so much because the roads are not up-to-par in terms complimenting the current sprawling developments. It would make sense for them to widen Salisbury Road and rename it as Dussell Drive all the way to the airport, but in reality, the subdivision homeowners, township trustees, and Brandywine country club golf course will play their political connection card to stop it. I don't think the roads on Dussell on the Maumee side should be widen, only to take care of the traffic light timing issues. Maumee has one of the worst traffic light times in the region, IMO, because you hit every light from Dussell to Reynolds and you wait for a considerable amount of time for each one of them (seems like you are there all day). Ultimately, I think they should leave Dussell/Salisbury alone and just build an interchange at Illinois/Western-Maumee (U.S. 20 Business loop route) which makes logistical sense for traffic and the connections to the airport.

I know that through the planning process at TMACOG, widening I-475 from Perrysburg to Douglas Road in Toledo is a high priority to widen the freeway it's a matter of when which would probably start anytime after 2010. On top of that project, they are looking at adding two additional interchanges (i.e. potential ramps at Hill, Bancroft, Dorr, Illinois/Maumee-Western Road).

About ten years ago, the Promedica property in Maumee was slated to be the "new" Toledo Hospital campus as they were going to shut down the main hospital and move it to Maumee. But with population being still strong in the central-western portion of Toledo and City of Toledo ties, they've decided to invest in their existing location with the new interchange to be built on I-475.

I think Promedica will basically use the Maumee property for some medical developments with the growing population in the west and sell portions of the land for other developments (retail, commercial-wise) to make money.

Happy New Year to you and the rest of the gang of the Toledo thread.
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #1267
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Development Update

I'm quite surprised Bellacino's (located on Huron & Adams) closed up because they were busy all the time. There is not one day during the weekday that they didn't have a long line, and as I usually say, as one door closes there's usually another one opening. Maybe this will pave the way for Gino's Pizza to come to downtown which they've been scoping for quite some time.

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #1268
Bonjourtoledo

Jeep Plant Development

IMO, This would definetly alleviate the burden of the unemployment. Once the national economy picks up, there will be new line of orders and new job creations at the new plant for third shift. It's time to end the war and start focusing on national economy.

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #1269
Bonjourtoledo

Jeep Plant Development No. 2

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #1270
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Development Update

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1271
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development

There is a rumor that someone is thisclose in buying the former Durty Bird Building at the corner of St. Clair and Washington. The rumor is that the owners of the Golden Lily Chinese Restaurant which used to be on Superior as it was demolished to make way for the new downtown arena. Stay tune........
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1272
Bonjourtoledo

Westgate Development Update

It has been announced in past post of this thread, The Fresh Market is making its way to the Westgate Village Shopping Center in between Stein Mart and Costco. You can see banners, signs, and movements that they will be opening soon. Here is the direct link: http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

Also Bassett's Whole Food Market which used to be at the original Westgate and they moved to a strip plaza on Secor a couple of years ago to nearby MC Sports store has now officially moved across the street of where Claudia's Market used to be. Claudia's Market moved out on Monroe Street in between Toledo and Sylvania. It's good to see some grocery markets strengthening in the Westgate area.
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #1273
ToledoProgrammer

The Golden Lily at the Durty Bird? That'd be terrific. Where'd you hear about that one?

By the way, isn't it like music to ears to hear construction actually taking place downtown again? I work right across from Fricker's by the ball park, and its' great to walk by and watch the construction from blocks away.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1274
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
The Golden Lily at the Durty Bird? That'd be terrific. Where'd you hear about that one?

By the way, isn't it like music to ears to hear construction actually taking place downtown again? I work right across from Fricker's by the ball park, and its' great to walk by and watch the construction from blocks away.
I heard the rumor through several people who are business owners and residents in the Warehouse District recently. However, not too long ago, the owners of Mano's/St. George Pub was looking for property along St. Clair as well.

I do agree with you that it is great to see construction and developments such as:
  • Marina District
  • Water Street Steam Plant on Water Street
  • Triangle Building Condo/Apartments at Lafayette & Erie
  • Condo/Apartments at Michigan & Madison
  • Western Union Building on Jefferson & Huron
  • TARPS Administration/Maintenance Facility on Wade & Knapp
  • MLK Jr. Plaza Union Station Intermodal Facility on Emerald
  • Downtown Arena on Jefferson & Huron
  • Wonder Bread Building Condo/Apartments on Summit
  • U.S. Federal Building on Constitution
  • Swan Creek Candle Distribution Center & Offices on Huron/Lafayette/Superior
  • Pizza Papalis on Monroe & Huron

I like to see Hytower Building and Portside Marketplace to be on that list.
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1275
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

The Golden Lily at the Durty Bird?

Wait, what happened to the Durty Bird?!

...keep in mind I don't live in Toledo, but visit family up there occasionally.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #1276
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
The Golden Lily at the Durty Bird?

Wait, what happened to the Durty Bird?!

...keep in mind I don't live in Toledo, but visit family up there occasionally.
The original owner had personal problems and decided to sell it end of 2006, then the owners of Home Slice Pizza entered an agreement to lease-to-own the business as they reopened before the 2007 baseball season. By mid-fall 2007 original owner's family and Home Slice owners parted ways as Home Slice did not want the business anymore so it's up for sale again.

Durty Bird is in a prime location and it's always busy during the warm season baseball or no baseball.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #1277
ToledoProgrammer

I'd say it'd be nice to have the Durty Bird back at its' current location and the Golden Lily at the warehouse across the street from Tony Packo's where Ted Strickland ran his district office out of.

Home Slice. The owner's are good people. They're talking about possibly expanding out into the building next to them. Its' good to see them busy, and St. Clair St. is finally seeing buildings being turned around.
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1278
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
I'd say it'd be nice to have the Durty Bird back at its' current location and the Golden Lily at the warehouse across the street from Tony Packo's where Ted Strickland ran his district office out of.

Home Slice. The owner's are good people. They're talking about possibly expanding out into the building next to them. Its' good to see them busy, and St. Clair St. is finally seeing buildings being turned around.
The former flower shop building across from Tony Packo's on Superior is a great looking building with great location. To my bias, I'd love to see an all-round-the-clock lofty coffeehouse with bookstore (new & used) at that location. Or even a Scrambler's restaurant since Findlay downtown has one, I am a huge breakfast fan.

Interesting to hear about Home Slice possibly expanding, where to? It looks tight to me. I know that Ahava Wellness Center has expanded recently into the former St. Clair Market for a juice bar and exercise space.

Not to veer off the topic, the two buildings on St. Clair in between Washington and Monroe is in need to rehab and get filled up with businesses. The building on the corner of St. Clair & Washington next to the Mud Hens office and the building on St. Clair in between Monroe & Perry seems to be at a standstill and I would love if the owners would take down the "For Lease" sign and just sell it to the ones who are willing develop.

IMO, businesses nowadays are in the market to buy buildings and properties not leasing. The building on Monroe & Perry would be perfect for apartments and lofts; the building at St. Clair & Washington would be more for retail/boutique stores and restaurant-zoning (think Jamba Juice, Panera Bread, or Einstein Bros. Bagels). If that doesn't work, how about a Toledo-Lucas County Historical Museum or even an Ohio Baseball Hall of Fame?
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #1279
ilovetoledo

good idea... With the new arena taking place i have a feeling Panera and other compaines are going to want to eat up all the space downtown. Time will tell...
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #1280
ToledoProgrammer

I'm up at Home Slice all the time. I work on Perry St. (Nemsys LLC). Home Slice is looking to expand to the building right next to them up in the loft area. They'd like to create a stage for music possibly, and I believe one of the brothers wants to develop an ebay type store on the bottom floor.

I wasn't aware the building on the corner of St. Clair and Washington (The Purpleish Building) was being looked at for development (AND BEING TURNED DOWN BY THE OWNERS). That is ridiculous. I've had fantasies of opening up a Mongolian Barbecue restaurant right there. In fact, I have a few ideas of business I'd like to start in downtown and could see being very profitable. Coffee house/book store type deal was definitely one of them.