daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1301
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc2e View Post
I don't understand why a junkyard being located in an already industrial area would cause Connectronics to need to move to Perrysburg or Michigan. Does anybody else have any insight?
I think the perception of a typical scrap/junk yard is not appealing to the residents and businesses. It is quite understandable that the folks are raising the ruckus of another scrap yard coming in.

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #1302
Bonjourtoledo

The Melting Pot Development News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1303
Bonjourtoledo

Regency Hospital Development Update

I've posted this development news about a year ago in this thread about a new private hospital opening in the northwest area of Toledo.

http://www.regencyhospital.com/locat...io-toledo.aspx

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #1304
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1305
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Development Update

The old Arbuckle property which is located on Monroe & Ontario Streets looks like it has been sold. I noticed the "For Sale" sign has a "Sold" banner on it yesterday for the first time. If you recall, there was a big fire a couple of years ago as a result the beautiful Arbuckle building was destroyed.

According to the county real estate report, Rumpf Development Ltd has bought the 0.275 acre property for $175,000 on 1/4/08. The Rumpf Dev. are the same owners of the The Glass Centre building on the corner of Erie & Jefferson Streets which is on the opposite corner of the same block. Stay tune of what this property will become....

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; January 12th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1306
Bonjourtoledo

Arbuckle Fire in 2005

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1307
Bonjourtoledo

Sunday Special: Google Images of Toledo

I'm sharing a variety of Google images of Toledo, credit is given to many photographers and webmasters who posted via internet:

Old January 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1308
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Credit to The Toledo Blade for the photos:

God, what a tragedy. I loved that building. Hopefully the property will turn into something nice and urban and not a strip mall or gas station.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #1309
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Anyone know where I can find some pics of the Toledo Zoo from the 80's and 90's? Was up there yesterday and was reminiscen about the days when thr tigers were in the cages where the Carnivore cafe is and when they had the rock formations u could walk up and the seals would swim around u down below... anything from before they expanded across the trail would be cool
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1310
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1311
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Anyone know where I can find some pics of the Toledo Zoo from the 80's and 90's? Was up there yesterday and was reminiscen about the days when thr tigers were in the cages where the Carnivore cafe is and when they had the rock formations u could walk up and the seals would swim around u down below... anything from before they expanded across the trail would be cool
Try the downtown library which they store an abundance of photo archives.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1312
Bonjourtoledo

UT Development News

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #1313
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

County Commissioner Ben Konop yesterday said "Woodpeckers" and "Peckerheads" would not be suitable names for the teams.

"I have received an overwhelming response to the community forum I started on my blog," he said. "We received at least 100 calls and letters, and hundreds of people stopping me on the street and anywhere I go."

He needs to relax. I personally think it's hilarious, and I know equally as many people who love the name. The complainers are always the first ones to make their voices heard. Give it time and independent surveys, and I have a feeling it will catch on due to its originality and comedic value. They're just trying to build on the Mud Hens.

Walleye is the best of all the names though, and it's very suitable for the Walleye Capital of the World. I don't see how the hockey team could be named anything else. Arena football? Well, I could care less about football...

"We want a team to rally behind and that is certainly not Woodpeckers," he said.

It'd be funny and would certainly bring a lot of press coverage to Toledo. Granted, I understand naming a sports franchise that will be part of the community for decades to come is not supposed to be a PR stunt, but Woodpeckers works since they're birds like Mud Hens...and Toledo is a one of the continent's top birding destinations. There is a local connection with any bird name, just a less obvious one.

Still, I like Walleye best since it has a strong connection to Toledo's better-known walleye fame, and will still probably get press coverage for its sheer quirkiness and originality.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; January 16th, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1314
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #1315
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Express Airport Development

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1316
Bonjourtoledo

Flower Hospital Campus Development

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #1317
Bonjourtoledo

Alternative Fuel Development Update

Old January 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1318
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee: Westhaven Development Update

More new jobs to be added on top of the expansion and new offices which is very good news for both Maumee and Perrysburg Township.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Perrysburg Twp. tax break to create jobs
By CHRIS MILLER Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted on BG-Sentinel Tribune website 12-18-2007

LIME CITY — A planned business expansion promises to bring new jobs to Perrysburg Township.
Westhaven Services LLC, a division of Omnicare Inc., plans a $1.9 million expansion of its Cedar Business Park site that will include $1.5 million in new equipment.

The company provides pharmaceutical care for senior citizens through a nationwide network of more than 100 facilities, including the expanding hub here in Perrysburg Township.

Township trustees Craig LaHote, Bob Mack and Gary Britten on Monday night agreed to grant a 100-percent tax abatement on the $1.9 million real estate improvements.

The property tax abatement will last 10 years under the township’s enterprise zone program.

Wade Gottschalk, associate director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission, told the trustees the expansion will preserve 250 existing jobs and bring another 75 to the business park along Ohio 795.
Westhaven is part of the Omnicare network of pharmaceutical service providers for senior citizen living centers. The company has 160 pharmacies and serves 47 states plus Canada. Omnicare says it serves about 1.4 million seniors every day.

The company is undergoing a reconfiguration of its existing network to increase efficiency, and Perrysburg Township’s facility is expanding and upgrading to cover a larger service area.

Part of the expansion project includes the addition of new automated equipment at the Cedar Business Park facility.
“We’ll be a regional hub pharmacy,” explained Rolf Schrader, regional vice president for Omnicare.

He said the company plans to add 75 jobs within the next 12 months which will represent $2.5 million in new payroll. Positions being sought will include pharmacists and medical technicians.

The Westhaven facility has been in Cedar Business Park since the early 1990s.
In other township news Monday night, the trustees agreed to renew the township’s membership in the Wood County Economic Development Commission at a cost of $1,500. LaHote noted the commission continues to provide valuable assistance in preserving jobs and bringing new employment to the township.
New jobs coming to Maumee
Omnicare Westhaven Services is moving into an office building in Maumee, and expanding in Perrysburg Township
Rob Packard Posted on NBC 24 website

MAUMEE, OH -- Approximately 200 new jobs are coming soon to Wood and Lucas counties as a major medical company expands giving an economic boost, officials announced Tuesday.

Omnicare Westhaven Services is moving into an office building in Maumee. Company officials say it will be home to a new billing center creating 125 white collar jobs that will mean $4.2 million in additional payroll.

John Jezak, Maumee city administrator says with Ford leaving this is important news.

"I think what a lot of people will recognize, it helps bring diversity to our economy that will bring skilled jobs to the area that will balance out jobs we are losing in the auto industry," he said.

Omnicare is also beginning a $3.5 million expansion of their operations in Perrysburg Township. That will mean more than 75 new jobs and $2.5 million in payroll.

If you're planning to apply, put down your pen for now --- The company may not start hiring until spring>

Maumee, Perrysburg Township and the state of Ohio provided the company tax breaks inxchange for a promise that the company will stay at least the next 14 years.

Omnicare provides pharmaceuticals and medical supplies.

Maumee leaders say the new jobs will pay an avererage of $33,000 a year.
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1319
Bonjourtoledo

UT Savage Hall Redevelopment Update

$250,000 gift to help build new weight room in athletics complex
By Paul Helgren
Posted on UT News website Jan 15, 2008

The University of Toledo Athletic Department Jan. 14 announced a $250,000 gift from Charlie and Nancy Creech for the Building Champions Capital Campaign. A portion of the gift will go toward the construction of a new weight room in the athletics complex that is being built alongside Savage Hall on Main Campus.

“Charlie and Nancy Creech are great friends of UT and longtime supporters of our athletic teams,” said UT Athletic Director Mike O’Brien. “Their incredibly generous gift will have a big impact on our program. The new weight room will be a tremendous boost for our student-athletes and help them in their quest for athletic excellence. We are very grateful for Charlie and Nancy’s support of this important piece of the capital campaign.”

The Creeches have been fans of The University of Toledo for years. Charlie graduated with a degree in engineering in 1965. He played on the freshman basketball team in the 1959-60 season. Nancy is a 1972 graduated of the School of Education. She was a cheerleader during the glory years of the UT football teams that went 35-0 from 1969 to 1971. The Creeches are Rocket Fund donors, season ticket holders and Downtown Coaches Association members. Charlie is the current president of the association.

“The University has given me so much. I had a great time and many wonderful memories,” Charlie said. “I’m just happy to be able to give a little bit back.”

“We are very happy to be able to make this contribution for Savage Hall,” Nancy said. “This project has been talked about for a long time, so it’s nice to see it happen. We’re glad we are able to help.”

O’Brien said the weight room will be 6,000-square-feet and will be located in the new athletics complex, which is under construction. It will feature all the latest weight training and conditioning equipment in a modern, glass-wall setting.

The $250,000 contribution from the Creeches is the most recent major gift in the Building Champions Athletics Capital Campaign that is raising funds for the construction of the athletics complex, the renovation of the Savage Hall arena and the construction of an indoor practice facility. In December, the University announced a $1 million gift from Hail and Susan Fetterman that was earmarked for the construction of an indoor practice facility. The overall campaign was kicked off in July 2006 by a $5 million gift from Chuck and Jackie Sullivan.

The athletics complex and renovated arena is scheduled to open for the 2008-09 basketball season, while the indoor practice facility is set to debut in time for the 2009 football season.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1320
Bonjourtoledo

BG: BG Public Schools "Go Green" Development

‘Green’ school for BG
Construction of middle school to start in spring
By MARIE THOMAS BG Sentinel-Tribune website

Construction will start this spring on Bowling Green’s new middle school and auditorium, and the finished product will be one of the first “green” schools in the state.

The school board gave the go-ahead Tuesday for Rudolph/Libbe, the construction management firm in charge of the project, to go out to bid later this month. Final design plans also were presented and approved.
Approval also was given to hire Heapy Engineering, in Dayton, at $59,529 to oversee the commissioning process to achieve Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design (LEED) certification, which attests the building has minimized impact on the environment by meeting specifications for land use, water and energy efficiency, construction materials and indoor air quality.
“I think the process has been really an exciting one so far,” said board member Dr. Tom Milbrodt, who has served as a representative on the monthly owners, architects and managers meeting.

Kent Buehrer said his architectural firm tried to give Bowling Green its own unique facility without copying any other district.
Bids will be opened in February. Groundbreaking likely will be in April; the plan is to have students in the building for the 2009-2010 school year.
That can’t be soon enough for junior high Principal Lee Vincent, who said the new school will give her teachers a chance to use technology that’s not available now. The design also will provide a “more conducive learning environment” by supporting team teaching and block scheduling, and will minimize disruption from music and physical education classes by placing them away from the academic wings.

The estimate for construction, technology, furnishings and equipment is $23,325,000, according to Ron Dulay, of Rudolph/Libbe. Soft costs, such as fees and improvements to Fairview Avenue, along with a contingency fund, add another $4,652,000 to the project, bringing the total base bid estimate to $27,977,000.

“It’s a scientific formula, but it is an estimate,” said Dulay, adding they’ll know more once bids are in and contracts are awarded.
The new school, to be situated north of the Bowling Green High School, will be attached to the high school’s band and choir rooms via a hallway. The new auditorium and music rehearsal rooms are situated closest to the high school, to allow for dual usage by performing arts students.
The auditorium lobby will seat 100 for meetings and events, according to Buehrer. Seating in the auditorium will be between 730 and 750.
The academic wing will have two floors, one for seventh-grade students and the other for eighth-graders. Total space for the new facility is about 105,000 square feet.

Superintendent Hugh Caumartin said there will be some disruption at the high school while the project is under way, but a plan has been developed by district personnel to try to minimize the impact on students and families.
Proceeds from the sale of bonds, as well as interest earnings, means there is more than $28 million available for the project, said district Treasurer Rhonda Melchi.

Milbrodt added that additional funding sources, such as seat sponsorship in the auditorium, are being considered to help raise money for extras such as an art gallery in the auditorium lobby.
Voters approved in 2006 a 2.93-mill bond issue for the new facilities. According to Melchi, due to increased valuation throughout the district, taxpayers this year will pay 2.3 mills.

Some bond income already has been spent to move the high school track to the football stadium to make room for the construction project.