daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1341
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

I'd like to see the Mongolian Barbecue that is going in by Franklin Park mall be downtown rather than by the mall. The Mongolian Barbecue concept of a fun environment just makes more sense in a downtown environment I think.

So whose about ready for spring and for the Mud Hens? I just bought my season tickets and opening day tickets. I can't wait for some tailgating.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:52 AM   #1342
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I know im ready to get back to 5th 3rd... Hopefully we have some guys to fill in our gaps since detroit traded most of its prospects away. Wonder what the new arena will look like then? Hopefully we'll see some verticle constrution by that time.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1343
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
I'd like to see the Mongolian Barbecue that is going in by Franklin Park mall be downtown rather than by the mall. The Mongolian Barbecue concept of a fun environment just makes more sense in a downtown environment I think.

So whose about ready for spring and for the Mud Hens? I just bought my season tickets and opening day tickets. I can't wait for some tailgating.
Where around Franklin Park is this Mongolian Barbecue going to be at?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1344
Bonjourtoledo

BG: BG Middle School Go Green Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1345
Bonjourtoledo

UT Development News

Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM   #1346
Bonjourtoledo

Northwood: Great Eastern Development

Northwood shopping center
Great Eastern renovation gets preliminary approval
By J. Patrick Eaken Press Staff Writer
[email protected]

Northwood city officials would like nothing better than see the renovation of Great Eastern Shopping Center and Woodville Mall. The first step toward one of those goals is being taken.

The city’s planning commission last week approved a preliminary site plan proposal from Centro Properties Group of Farmington Hills, Michigan.
“I think its fantastic news for the City of Northwood. I think its going to be the start of having all of that revitalized down there and make it a lot more attractive for people to come down there and shop,” said Northwood Mayor Mark Stoner.

Andrew Cottrell of Centro told commission members that his company is in the stages of closing a deal with a national tenant for the shopping center. The color scheme proposed for the renovated center is to match the national tenant’s color scheme.

“We realize that Northwood had Great Eastern for some time. It shows its age,” said Cottrell. “I’m not from Toledo, but I’ve heard stories that this was the destination shopping center at one time. We’ve pursued this property along with a few others in Toledo.”

Cottrell went so far to say his company is interested in bringing back some of Great Eastern’s history, such as a Christmas celebration where Santa Claus arrived on a helicopter.

“Even I remember way back when they used to have the festival during the summer time,” said former Northwood resident and City Engineer Dave Kuhn of Feller, Finch, and Associates. “They used to have all the rides and everything and that was really nice.

“They’re going to upgrade that whole shopping center and bring in some better nationwide retail establishments. It will be a more viable shopping center and more like a center attraction for the City of Northwood.”
Centro owns approximately 700 shopping centers worldwide, including 65 in the United States. Centro owns Miracle Mile and Southland in Toledo, and the company has followed up with renovating both of them.

“It’s going to have a similar look to those,” Kuhn continued. “They have upgraded them. Supposedly, they are going to upgrade it a lot like that. They use a lot of brick and stone — stuff like that — a nicer look.”
Mayor Stoner says he “honestly does not know who the national tenant is,” but guests attending last week’s commission meeting were speculating it is Kroger’s.

“Last year I heard that they were going to move down here. Well now we’re a year down the road. I’m hoping down the road further we can get maybe a Target or a Kohl’s or something like that in there,” said Stoner.
“I think everybody in the city is exciting about this. A grocery store could be coming be back to Northwood, you know — it’s going to come home where it belongs,” Stoner added.

Kuhn said, “Everybody’s assuming that (Kroger’s). We haven’t seen anything in writing. It’s the rumor going around.”

Three Phases

The three phase plan also includes landscaping, new lighting, islands, irrigation, and a renovated entrance into the shopping center.
“Our goal is to join and partner up with Northwood and take this to the next level,” Cottrell explained. “We’re coming into third base now and getting ready to slide into home.”

“They’ve got a good start on a concept,” Northwood city engineer Dave Kuhn said. “What we’re trying to do is incorporate their renovations with what the town is trying to do to create that central business district.”
Mayor Stoner said the next step for Centro is to return with several requested amendments and get final approval on the site plan. Phase I construction and demolition, Cottrell said, could begin as early as spring or summer.

The first phase involves demolition of the center area, which Cottrell refers to as center field, for the national tenant. First, however, Cottrell plans to build a new building to allow current tenants an opportunity to relocate.
“They are taking care of the tenants that are there. They are going to build one building over by where the old Kroger’s was, so the tenants can be relocated there while they demolish the center section,” Stoner said.
Current major tenants at Great Eastern are Aldi Food Store, Dollar General, Goodwill, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Super Dollar Tree, The Pharm, Value City Department Store, and Value City Furniture. Centro lists a total of 36 tenants in 339,394 square feet of commercial space.

Cottrell said Centro is negotiating with tenants, and many could move into the new building temporarily or permanently, depending on each tenant’s lease agreement.

“That’s why we’re being proactive and throwing everything on the table,” Cottrell said.

Phase III involves the end of the shopping center which houses Aldi, Dollar General, and Value City Department Store. Cottrell said since those businesses are on long-term leases and popular destinations, the only changes to that area could be renovation and landscaping.

“Phase III is to please Northwood, too,” said Kuhn. “Northwood is trying to create that village type of setting along Northwood Road and they would encourage something like that at one of their main entrances. Then they can incorporate sidewalks so they can tie in the main buildings in the back with the sidewalks along Woodville Road.”
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1347
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
I know im ready to get back to 5th 3rd... Hopefully we have some guys to fill in our gaps since detroit traded most of its prospects away. Wonder what the new arena will look like then? Hopefully we'll see some verticle constrution by that time.
I'll post some photographs once I start to see some vertical construction. They've had quite the headstart with the recent weather (not including today).
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1348
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Where around Franklin Park is this Mongolian Barbecue going to be at?
Where the apartments used to be at off of Sylvania. They demolished that and are beginning construction on some stores. Word on the street is there will be a Mongolian Barbecue going in over there.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1349
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 952

Quote:

I don't know if anyone here has been to a Mongolian BBQ, but I do agree that it would fit better in Downtown than near the mall. It draws in a lot of business and never seems to die off. So it would be beneficial to have it closer to where the nightlife is the best because that is the theme you get.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1350
ilovetoledo

Why? (LOL!) There's the Blarney, Manhattan's, St. George Pub, Diva's, Bronze Boar, Fusion Lounge, Home Slice, Fricker's, Mutz Pub, The Docks, Wesley's, Michael's, Madison Bistro, etc, etc. But if it means to fill in the vacant space across from the new arena, I am all for Dave & Buster's to come to downtown

Being a teenager in Toledo, Ohio can be fun if you like going to movies, going bowling, mall, and over to people's houses everyweekend. Dave and Busters offers a type of entertainment that you really cant get anywhere else. Its the Chuckie Cheeses for adults. I think that it is highly needed and if it were to be placed in Toledo i would want it Downtown. This would draw tons of people to the Downtown area. To me that doesn't seem like a problem. Bonjor, to an adult those places you listed may seem fun but all they consist of is dinner. Dave and Busters offers entertainment with a wide variety. I want one but i really dont know how to get them to come here. I know that there is one in Columbus, Cleveland, and i believe Cincinatti. I think that they could make it here in Toledo, Ohio's 4th largest city. Help me get them to come here.

Ayyy Pizza lovers try out Denados pizza on Conant St. in Maumee right by Miejer. You'll love it.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1351
ilovetoledo

Centro owns Miracle Mile and Southland in Toledo, and the company has followed up with renovating both of them.

They are going to do this or they already have. Southland needs it bad. I think they could put some lighting shining on the bricks up at the building. I think that a Target at Southland where the old JC Pennys would be a good move. They need something in there besides Kroger because you know that there is a Kroger 1 minute down the road. (STUPID). That shopping center has a really good potential but it needs some improvements. BTW what are they building right in the middle of the parking lot in Southland? I saw something that looked like a gas station but i wasnt sure.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:36 AM   #1352
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres_of_2036 View Post
I don't know if anyone here has been to a Mongolian BBQ, but I do agree that it would fit better in Downtown than near the mall. It draws in a lot of business and never seems to die off. So it would be beneficial to have it closer to where the nightlife is the best because that is the theme you get.
Is this the place you guys are referring to????? http://www.gomongo.com/index.php
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM   #1353
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Where the apartments used to be at off of Sylvania. They demolished that and are beginning construction on some stores. Word on the street is there will be a Mongolian Barbecue going in over there.
Ahhh..the new addition of the "open-air" mall to the existing enclosed Westfield Franklin Park. Thanks for the update.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM   #1354
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
Centro owns Miracle Mile and Southland in Toledo, and the company has followed up with renovating both of them.

They are going to do this or they already have. Southland needs it bad. I think they could put some lighting shining on the bricks up at the building. I think that a Target at Southland where the old JC Pennys would be a good move. They need something in there besides Kroger because you know that there is a Kroger 1 minute down the road. (STUPID). That shopping center has a really good potential but it needs some improvements. BTW what are they building right in the middle of the parking lot in Southland? I saw something that looked like a gas station but i wasnt sure.
Kroger is very competitive in Toledo, especially after when Food Town closed up they moved in right away. I am all for Target to come to Southland because it is close to the UT Health Science Campus and in a very populated area. Who the heck wants to drive all the way out to Airport Highway? Certainly not me.

Once the Southwyck Mall goes under a huge makeover, Kroger is looking to replace their outdated grocery store on Glendale behind Reynolds Road which they might possibly move over to Southwyck as a major anchor.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:14 AM   #1355
ilovetoledo

I really hope they dont. Thats not what i envisioned for southwyck at all. Kroger would make the new southwyck look trashy. Kroger has a way of doing that to where ever it relocates too. Of course Target would do wonders at Southland because there are so many people in a 2 mile radius of Southland that many people would come to it. We would get people from South Toledo, Maumee, Probably Downtown residents. But honestly what are the chances of them moving in there. Slim to none.

Anyone know whats going on at Southland there is some developement going on and havent heard anything about it...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1356
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

About the Great eastern project.... The rumor or kroger going in there... theres a kroger down woodville next to Cousinos.... Not sure if this is considered Oregon or toledo but would that mean this kroger is goin down? If not there would be 3 krogers within 4-5 miles of each other... 2 on woodville one on navarre.....

and on the Dave n Busters.... They have been playin there comercials in toledo lately and i dont think i saw one kid in it... all adults
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #1357
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
About the Great eastern project.... The rumor or kroger going in there... theres a kroger down woodville next to Cousinos.... Not sure if this is considered Oregon or toledo but would that mean this kroger is goin down? If not there would be 3 krogers within 4-5 miles of each other... 2 on woodville one on navarre.....

and on the Dave n Busters.... They have been playin there comercials in toledo lately and i dont think i saw one kid in it... all adults
I think if they open a Kroger at Great Eastern, it will be more like Miracle Mile's newly remodeled or the brand new Suder Avenue stores with fueling station which they are like the "Super Kroger" to me. IMHO, they will keep the Kroger on Woodville on the Oregon/Toledo line because it's a "Sav-On" Kroger and they just added a drive-thru for the pharmacy. Perhaps they would tear down the old El Camino Sky restaurant and put in the fueling station. I've seen many Krogers stay open despite of close proximities.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1358
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
Anyone know whats going on at Southland there is some developement going on and havent heard anything about it...
Not that I heard of thus far, but I know that Kroger got a "green'light" few months back to put in the fueling station somewhere on the Southland property. I think if they put a Starbuck's or Caribou Coffee there, it would do well considering Panera Bread and Beaners are already in the area.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1359
Bonjourtoledo

MLK Jr. (Cherry Street) Bridge Redevelopment Project

Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1360
Bonjourtoledo

City Celebration News: Solar Capital