daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1401
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Chrysler-Jeep Plants Development UPDATE

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1402
Bonjourtoledo

Fremont: FirstEnergy Corp Development

Very, very interesting news in regards to the bankrupted Calpine Corp. and you can see a huge energy plant that was almost finished from U.S. Route 20 as you are heading into Fremont eastbound.

Old January 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #1403
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Is Lourdes College also bad for UT and BG? Davis? I just read in the paper the other day that UT's enrollment was up.

No, Lourdes and Davis are too small to make a big dent in UT or BG. Owens, however, has over 20,000 students in the Toledo area, and thousands more elsewhere in Northwest Ohio.

not all of us can afford "real college" like all these rich Cleveland kids at BG

lol at the "rich Cleveland kids" comment. BG is mostly a working and middle class school, and it's cheaper than Miami and OU. Miami and OU are more the "rich kids" in Ohio.

Truthfully, most of us can't afford college, and that's why Owens has grown so damn big. For some majors, it's a cheap way to get out of two years of university tuition, which is higher in Ohio than almost anywhere else.

I just read in the paper the other day that UT's enrollment was up.

Thank God for that, but it's still nowhere near capacity. The Bancroft campus can handle upwards of 25,000 students. It's currently around 20,000 students. UT's total enrollment was larger in the 1990's and that was without MUO. UT's total right now is about 24,000 for all campuses.

Owens has arguably hurt UT more than BG. BG has held steady at around 20,000 students for quite some time. In terms of Lourdes and Davis, I would imagine Owens has hurt them as well, but I don't have a clue what their numbers are like. I think Lourdes is only around 2,000 students.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:44 AM   #1404
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

It's probably worthwhile to note that there is also competition b/t UT and BG for students. The BG numbers are down this year because a state budget agreement not to increase tuition (agreed to by all public uni's in Ohio, I believe) caused BG to offer fewer scholarships. UT went a different direction, and offered more scholarships. That explains the more recent swings in enrollments at the two campuses more than Owens, at least from what I hear.

The growth of commcolls everywhere are causing third and fourth tier unis like BG and UT to reevaluate their missions, and likely expand their international and graduate programs.
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1405
Bonjourtoledo

Valentine Theatre UPDATE

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1406
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Coking Plant Project Update

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1407
Bonjourtoledo

Dana Corporation Development Update

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1408
Bonjourtoledo

Wood Co Hospital Expansion Development UPDATE

Cure for hospital - County issues $47M in bonds for expansion
By JAN LARSON Sentinel County Editor

With Wood County Hospital juggling its beds this week to care for all its patients, the request for $47 million in bonds came with even more urgency.
“We’re struggling to figure out where we’re going to place patients,” Wood County Hospital Administrator Stan Korducki told the county commissioners Thursday morning as he asked them to authorize $47 million in bonds for an expansion to the hospital.

The commissioners voted to issue the bonds, with Jim Carter abstaining since he serves as president of the hospital board of trustees. By issuing the bonds, the county will take a sublease on the facility and lease it back to the hospital. No county money will be used to pay off the debt, with the hospital being solely responsible, explained John Fischer, bond counsel.

The $47 million will pay for the construction of 100,000 more square feet to the hospital, renovation of some existing areas in the facility, and the equipping of the new areas.

If all goes as planned, construction will begin at the end of March. The new construction is expected to take approximately 20 months, followed by the renovations which will take another 16 months or so.

The new construction will be added to the front of the hospital, creating more medical-surgical units, a new outpatient surgery area, a recovery room, outpatient diagnostics and a patient registration area.

Renovations to the existing hospital space will allow for an expansion of the emergency department, plus 56 more private patient rooms. Since some of the existing two-bed patient rooms will be converted to private rooms, the renovations will result in a total of 30 additional patient beds.

The hospital currently has about 78 patient beds — which is not enough during peak patient times of fall and winter.

“This problem comes up every year,” Korducki said of the bed shortage.
In addition to more building space, the hospital’s plan also calls for more parking spaces being paved in front of the building. The parking plan will go before the city next week for the necessary zoning change.
“We’ve very excited about the project,” Korducki said. “We think it will allow us to provide more services to the community.”

He doesn’t expect the construction to get in the way of hospital services, with the staff being accustomed to operating around construction.

“We’re very experienced at working in a living, breathing building,” he said, noting the major renovations a few years ago to the obstetrics area of the hospital. “We had to do the construction the same time we were delivering babies up there.”
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:13 AM   #1409
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

BUSINESS
Downtown coffee shop aims for ‘Ann Arbor feel'
By Lori Golaszewski
Special to Toledo Free Press
[email protected]

http://www.toledofreepress.com/?id=7120

A coffee shop catering to business people on the go has opened in the Edison Plaza in Downtown Toledo.

Mo Joe's is a full-service Seattle's Best Coffee shop serving lattes, cappuccinos and other specialty drinks, as well as soups, salads and sandwiches from Focaccia's Delicatessen. Mo Joe's is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The coffee shop offers more than drinks and paninis, said owner Ed Beczynski. Mo Joe's sells flower bouquets from Bartz Viviano and is a dry cleaning pick-up site for Lasalle Cleaners. Wi-Fi access is available.

“It's a very service-oriented location where people will be able to come in, grab a latte, a sandwich or soup and flowers if you need them for your wife or girlfriend,” said Beczynski, who also owns Focaccia's Delicatessen and the Blarney Irish Pub. “It's sort of like the airport, where you grab what you need and run.”

Mo Joe's, located at 301 Madison Ave., occupies 1,300 square feet in the Edison Plaza where the former Focaccia's Express was located. Beczynski had operated Focaccia's Express for eight years, but at only 200 square feet, he said he outgrew the space and needed to expand. He said he thought a Seattle's Best Coffee shop would be a “great fit.”

“Before, we were limited on what we could sell because we were so small,” Beczynski said. “Now we can offer more items. It's a great relationship we've put together with the Starbucks people, who own Seattle's Best Coffee.”

Beczynski said he's looking forward to springtime when he plans to put patio tables outside Mo Joe's. The Edison Plaza is next to Levis Square, where live music is played on Thursdays during the summer, he said.

“I'm really looking for an Ann Arbor-Chicago feel, with people sitting outside, drinking a cappuccino and listening to music,” Beczynski said. “There are a lot of great things happening Downtown, and I'm glad to be a part of it.”

A grand opening celebration for Mo Joe's is planned for early February. The date has not been determined.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1410
Bonjourtoledo

Fitness Center Developments

Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1411
Bonjourtoledo

Dana Corp. Development UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM   #1412
ilovetoledo

CONGRATS!

I think that a congrats are in order for one of Downtown's biggest contributors. Ed Beczynski had 3 buisnesses downtown and i personally know him and hes not planning on stopping anytime soon. His new buisness Mo-Joes will be a big hit in the summer where people will go downtown to get a coffee listen to music and enjoy the river. I know some think that people wont actually do this but i got Downtown with my friends all the time just to hang out by the river and have fun. One thing that i do believe that Downtown needs is music from speakers maybe on the lamp post so when you are walking you can listen to music. I think that people would find this as an attraction when walking down by the river and in Toledo's most famous Downtown. But first we need to BRING BACK PORTSIDE. I do believe that Portside is a jewel of the city. With few modifications you could make that into a coffee shop with some stores in there nothing too big but not too small. We need to think Medium sized because that is what size our downtown is. This would be a HIT. During the day we could do a coffee shop by the glass windows or even on the patio that Cosi provided. At night. we could totally transform it into a dance club. This would attract people from UT, BG and all of the colleges near. I was thinking with live bands playing all the time. A Headliers but for the middle-upper class and more for the adults. This is actually perfect because a dance club would not interfear with the new arena or seagate center because it would only attract bands/musicians for teens and adults that want to dance and no go to a concert type of attraction. Im really glad that CitiFest is done with planning events. Toledo needs to think big and more festivalish. Everyone on the South Side looks forward to the St. Patrick of Heatherdowns festival, why? Because during the day parents feel that they can take their kids to the festival to ride rides, etc. And at night they go to drink at a big Beer tent in a SAFE enviroment. Would you care if Toledo had little get togethers in Promanade? NO people want one BIG event that Alot of people would come to. Something to make Toledoans and people from everywhere be proud of their city and have fun. Fireworks, Rides for the kids, beer tent, live music, ribs. All of this at one event. Sponsored by Jeep, Pepsi, Dana, Toledo Edison, Owens Corning. Lets get our businesses to be apart of our community....
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1413
ToledoProgrammer

Someday, when I've got the capital, I'd like to fund some ventures as well. I really am looking forward to Mo Joes, especially the outside patio, it will be a welcome addition to downtown. With the addition a few more housing units, such as Waterstreet Station, we'll start to see more retail popping up downtown to accommodate those people.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #1414
ilovetoledo

Water Street?

So when is this whole Water Street going to happen again?
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1415
ToledoProgrammer

Well, they are on record saying if they received the tax credits that they would begin sometime this spring. However, I'm curious if they'll push that date back with the city's stupid, non-business friendly lawsuit against them.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:58 AM   #1416
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Tired of hearin about this Water Street Station. I was looking forward to this project happening since I heard about it atleast 7 years ago. I think Jimmy Jackson got in over his head on this one.. WOuld be nice if they actually did some work on it.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #1417
Bonjourtoledo

Water Street Plant Development

Be patient folks, the developers just received the tax credit less than a month ago and we are in the middle of winter. Patience...patience.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #1418
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Restaurants Development

Interesting article, it's not all doom-and-gloom especially the restaurant industry is a very competitive field no matter where you are. Toledo has a reputation of having one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in the nation.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1419
ToledoProgrammer

"In the suburbs, he explained, 'you can have instantaneous success because you’re closer to people’s houses.'"

Yea, instant success for about a month or two until the 'New' wears off, like Carson's steakhouse. I know Tony Packo's is always busy during lunch, and Home Slice is generally busy most nights. Mo Joe's is the result of expansion due to good business and Jimmy John's seems to always be busy as well.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #1420
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Restaurants Development

The Golden Lily did not fold because of slow business, they closed up due to the construction of the new downtown arena. They have yet to determine their new location to reopen. Big Boy's on Summit/Oliver Street changed their hours from 24 hours to 6am-3pm 7 days a week few months back.

Some of the restaurants that were not mentioned are doing well:
Rockwell's
Mutz Pub
Downtown Latte
Pam's Corner
Murphy's
Michael's
Glass City Cafe
Mano's
Manhattan
Madison Bistro
PJ's Deli
Zia's
Real Seafood Co.
Erie Street Chowder House

Coming soon will be the PizzaPapalis on Monroe and Huron Streets. We usually go to local restaurants and will return if good service and food. For the most part, most downtown restaurants are pretty good and we go frequent.

I'm quite surprised Spaghetti Warehouse is the 3rd busiest restaurant in their 21-store chain in the nation. I know it's busy but not that busy.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; February 4th, 2008 at 04:12 AM.