daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #1421
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
"In the suburbs, he explained, 'you can have instantaneous success because you’re closer to people’s houses.'"

Yea, instant success for about a month or two until the 'New' wears off, like Carson's steakhouse. I know Tony Packo's is always busy during lunch, and Home Slice is generally busy most nights. Mo Joe's is the result of expansion due to good business and Jimmy John's seems to always be busy as well.
ITA, Champs, Smokey Bones, and Lone Star restaurants in the Franklin Park Mall area closed up. Carson's Steakhouse used to be Stixx and Bill Knapp's and now it's going to be some Fondue-type restaurant later this year. So whether if you are close to residential homes in the city or suburbs, ALL restaurants face the same fate whether they survive or not. IMO, If you have good service, food, atmosphere, and management, you will survive in the long run, i.e., look at Mancy's on Sylvania Avenue.

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1422
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

Yea, I'm looking forward to seeing PizzaPapali's opening. I'll certainly be going there from time to time.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #1423
ToledoProgrammer

The University of Toledo continues to play a positive role in Economic Development in Northwest Ohio

MBA students, professor team up to create business
By Matt Lockwood
Feb 1, 2008

Since 1987, Dr. Carlos Baptista, associate professor of neurosciences, has dreamed of creating a business using his method of preserving human and animal organs for use as teaching tools.

Dr. Carlos Baptista posed for a photo with an example of his organ preservation method, a plastinated cow heart, on the Health Science Campus.
The method, called plastination, involves multiple steps in which water in tissue cells is replaced with a specialized plastic. It takes two to three months to plastinate an organ, but the result is a highly accurate, long-lasting model. The process has been popularized lately through the popular Body World exhibits.

Baptista said besides having trouble finding the time to pursue the idea, he didn’t know where to start with a business plan.

Twenty years later, he is finally exploring his dream with the help of MBA students Scott Haas and Gregory Metzger.

The professor, based on the Health Science Campus, and the students, based on Main Campus, united through a new program in the College of Business Administration’s Center for Technological Entrepreneurship and Innovation that teams entrepreneurs both inside and outside the University with MBA students and faculty advisers. Under the leadership of business faculty members, students help startup companies with everything from business and marketing plans to financial analyses and organizational planning.

Haas and Metzger spent about 15 hours a week each last semester gathering information about human organ plastination, meeting with Baptista and visiting the University of Michigan plastination lab. At the end of last semester, they handed Baptista a business plan.

“People have great ideas, but they’re not sure how to implement them,” Haas said. “Where we come in is putting things on paper so they can convey the feasibility of their business proposal.”

The University is currently reviewing the business plan and contemplating investing in Baptista’s idea. The plastinated organs would be used by hospitals, medical schools, veterinary schools and high schools.

“For somebody like me with absolutely no clue how to start a business plan, to have students help with this has been fantastic,” Baptista said. “The students are very knowledgeable and the advice of Dr. Sonny Ariss has been very helpful.”

Ariss, a professor of management who along with Dr. Tom Sharkey, associate professor of marketing, coordinates the entrepreneurial projects, said, “The University needs to play a role in economic development of the region and with this program, students help play a role in driving the economic development engine. We think the future of northwest Ohio is tied to the knowledge economy and breakthroughs from area universities.”

Baptista said he hopes his idea will generate revenue for the University, but he’s more excited about UT becoming known as a force in the field of plastination.

If that happens, Haas and Metzger will have played an important role while gaining valuable experience.

David Chatfield, director of the MBA program, said, “Personal contact with real inventors and entrepreneurs itself is a great learning experience. Along the way, students learn about the technology commercialization process and get a hands-on opportunity to apply it.”

Haas agreed: “As a student we get a lot from books, but with this project I’ve learned a lot about the little questions that have to be asked that can make or break a project. It’s been a great opportunity to learn and to provide a service to the University.”

Currently, several other entrepreneurial projects for MBA students are being explored inside and outside the University. In addition, Ariss and Sharkey are teaching classes focused on exploring entrepreneurial opportunities in the areas of wind, solar and ethanol energy.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #1424
ToledoProgrammer

In addition to the above article, here are a few other notable start-ups brought to you by the Research department of the University of Toledo.

Gene Express Inc.
http://www.geneexpressinc.com/index.asp

Cognitive Pharmaceuticals, Ltd.
http://www.cognitivepharma.com/

Hi-Genomics
http://www.higenomics.com/contact.htm

The Turning Point, LLC

Xunlight Corp.
http://www.xunlight.com/

Spinal Designs

Suganit Systems, Inc.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1425
ToledoProgrammer

Http://www.toledoblade.com

Public asked for input on Toledo riverfront Metropark

Two additional public meetings have been scheduled for residents to offer thoughts about what they’d like to see at a proposed county park near downtown Toledo.

The two newly scheduled meetings will be Feb. 11, from5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Lagrange branch library, 3422 Lagrange St.; and Feb. 18 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Kent branch library, 3101 Collingwood Blvd.

The next meeting, previously announced, is from 4 to 8 p.m. tomorrow in the Locke Branch of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, 703 Miami St.

The Toledo Area Metroparks plans to develop a park on the downtown Toledo riverfront on part of the Middlegrounds site near the Anthony Wayne Bridge.

Another public meeting is anticipated for July to present design alternatives.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1426
djc2e

Quote:
Http://www.toledoblade.com

Public asked for input on Toledo riverfront Metropark

Two additional public meetings have been scheduled for residents to offer thoughts about what they’d like to see at a proposed county park near downtown Toledo.

The two newly scheduled meetings will be Feb. 11, from5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Lagrange branch library, 3422 Lagrange St.; and Feb. 18 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Kent branch library, 3101 Collingwood Blvd.

The next meeting, previously announced, is from 4 to 8 p.m. tomorrow in the Locke Branch of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, 703 Miami St.

The Toledo Area Metroparks plans to develop a park on the downtown Toledo riverfront on part of the Middlegrounds site near the Anthony Wayne Bridge.

Another public meeting is anticipated for July to present design alternatives.
I went to one of those meetings last week at the library on Broadway. They displayed photos and historical information about the site. Clipboards with a survey attached were also available for the public to fill out.

It was exciting to visualize a new park downtown, and it is great that Metroparks is taking suggestions on how to make it a great downtown park. Here were a couple of my suggestions:

-Most importantly, make the park as integrated as possible with the surrounding neighborhood. It needs to be open and inviting to the public. There should be multiple entrances.

-Should be pet and family-friendly. I have neither a pet nor family in the area, but I think it is important to have a place that welcomes pets and children so that more people will be persuaded to move downtown.

-A circular walking path. Maybe it could be connected to Walbridge Park and Promenade Park?

-Of course, lots of trees! But there also should be open areas for frisbee, croquet, badminton, etc...

-Miscellaneous: Chess boards? Kayacking dock of some sort?

If anyone is interested, here is a recent article I read that is about what makes a great downtown park: http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2008/01/24/coverstory.html

What would you all like to see at the park? If you can make it, I'd highly suggest letting Metroparks know what you think!
djc2e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1427
Bonjourtoledo

IMHO, I like the idea of hiking-walking-biking trails connecting to Walbridge Park and Promenade. I would like it to be connected to the boardwalk along Swan Creek by the Erie Street Market as well then extend the boardwalk into a trail straight to Swan Creek metropark.

A few ideas for the downtown metropark: dog-friendly area, outdoor ice-skating rink, and bird-watching deck.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1428
Bonjourtoledo

Value City Department Development News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1429
Bonjourtoledo

Chrysler-Jeep Development News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #1430
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

“I'm really looking for an Ann Arbor-Chicago feel, with people sitting outside, drinking a cappuccino and listening to music,” Beczynski said. “There are a lot of great things happening Downtown, and I'm glad to be a part of it.”

Great news. Mo Joe's sounds awesome, and whenever I visit downtown, I'll support it. I like the Ann Arbor attitude. For anyone who's been there, you know Ann Arbor has a ridiculously good coffee shop scene. I've never been to another college town with so many good coffee shops. It's almost as if everyone in the city drinks coffee.

It was exciting to visualize a new park downtown, and it is great that Metroparks is taking suggestions on how to make it a great downtown park. Here were a couple of my suggestions:

-Most importantly, make the park as integrated as possible with the surrounding neighborhood. It needs to be open and inviting to the public. There should be multiple entrances.

-Should be pet and family-friendly. I have neither a pet nor family in the area, but I think it is important to have a place that welcomes pets and children so that more people will be persuaded to move downtown.

-A circular walking path. Maybe it could be connected to Walbridge Park and Promenade Park?

-Of course, lots of trees! But there also should be open areas for frisbee, croquet, badminton, etc...

-Miscellaneous: Chess boards? Kayacking dock of some sort?

I agree with these, but I'd also add:

-docks along the river.

-boardwalk along the river

-visitor center with history of Toledo's industrial prominence (particularly rail and shipping which was what the Middlegrounds was known for)

-grills and picnic tables

-maybe a snack shop and little gift store with stuff from Toledo

-ability to walk from nearby neighborhood to park with a good sidewalk system.

-bike/running path connected to Promenade Park. Should not be too difficult considering the proximity and how narrow a bike path is. It can go under the bridge along the river.

-boat tours of the Maumee River/Bay with a dock at the park. There already is a tour boat in Toledo called the Sandpiper. It was built by Andersons and holds 100 people. It runs six months of the year (May through October). Maybe just have that pick up people at the park:

http://www.sandpiperboat.com/
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1431
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Is there an article on the blade for the middle grounds park? I couldnt find anything on it at the blade site. Is it currently private property? Id like to go check it out sometime. How far does this area go? I have been down by the river south just south of the 75 bridge Isnt that train yard still used?

And on some other stuff... Oregons Menards should be open anyday now. All the signs are up and I believe they started hiring last week. I also drove by the new industrial park or whatever is going in on courduroy rd between Wynn and Lallendorf. From what I could see theres about a 2 or 3 story skeleton of a building going up that looks similar to the other bussinesess out that way (Fersinius or the ivy steel building) It was dark so I couldnt tell if there were any other foundations laid out.

And finally, Clay High School has begun to tare down there out dated buildings. Im pretty sure all construction on the new sections of the high school are complete. When I drove by the old Clay Elementary building was just a pile of rubble. The East annex building will come down next.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #1432
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Is there an article on the blade for the middle grounds park? I couldnt find anything on it at the blade site. Is it currently private property? Id like to go check it out sometime. How far does this area go? I have been down by the river south just south of the 75 bridge Isnt that train yard still used?

And on some other stuff... Oregons Menards should be open anyday now. All the signs are up and I believe they started hiring last week. I also drove by the new industrial park or whatever is going in on courduroy rd between Wynn and Lallendorf. From what I could see theres about a 2 or 3 story skeleton of a building going up that looks similar to the other bussinesess out that way (Fersinius or the ivy steel building) It was dark so I couldnt tell if there were any other foundations laid out.

And finally, Clay High School has begun to tare down there out dated buildings. Im pretty sure all construction on the new sections of the high school are complete. When I drove by the old Clay Elementary building was just a pile of rubble. The East annex building will come down next.

Middle Grounds Park is owned by Owens Corning from Fort Industry Square to the Anthony Wayne "Hi-Level" Bridge--anything south of the bridge will be the new downtown metropark.

As far as Menards on Brown/Curtice Roads, so is Alexis Road location across from Meijer near I-75. Do you know what outlots will be outside of the Oregon/Northwood's Menards?

Thanks for the update on Oregon developments, anything on when they will construct a downtown for Oregon? (inside joke)
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #1433
ilovetoledo

OK this may sound a little ridicilous but i want to see a waterfall at the new park with lights and music possibly water going into a pond with a trail going around it or into the Maumee river itself. I would love to see FIRE PITS down by the river. How cool would it be to go downtown with your friends and have a bonfire and just chill listen to music and have fun. I think this park needs to be open 24hrs a day with a boardwalk and lighting so that it is able for you to walk at night. What are your opinions on the fire pits down by the river? a big hit or what?
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #1434
djc2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
I don't think the park extends south of I-75. Here is the Metroparks website that has a description and some photos:
http://www.metroparkstoledo.com/metr...bj=development

Here is an article in the Blade that describes the park in more detail:
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...ST42/801270334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim

I agree with these, but I'd also add:

-visitor center with history of Toledo's industrial prominence (particularly rail and shipping which was what the Middlegrounds was known for)

-ability to walk from nearby neighborhood to park with a good sidewalk system.
I think these are great ideas. Sidewalks leading from the neighborhood to the park should be a priority. Docks and a boardwalk also sound good.

Bonjourtoledo's idea of a trail leading to the erie street market sounds good, although I wonder if there is already a convenient way to get there via streets and sidewalks. Regardless, there should be signs at the Erie St Market pointing the way to the park, and maybe some bike lanes leading to the park as well.

For that matter, signs should be placed all around downtown pointing the way to the park and other attractions.
djc2e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1435
Bonjourtoledo

Value City Department Development UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1436
Bonjourtoledo

Chrysler-Jeep Plants Development UPDATE

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #1437
ToledoProgrammer

I could not find the news article on this, as it was 'new' news on Channel 11 last night, but the Madison building that housed 5/3rd has sold. I'm curious if there are any outside tenants that would come with that sale.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1438
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
I could not find the news article on this, as it was 'new' news on Channel 11 last night, but the Madison building that housed 5/3rd has sold. I'm curious if there are any outside tenants that would come with that sale.
Are you referring to the Madison Building on Madison/Huron across from Huntington and next to the TARTA Park Station? Or the building that used to be the Fifth Third Center building that house banking, law firms, and Ken's Flower Shop?

According to the county records, the former Fifth Third Center was sold on 1/18/2008 to Ergur Private Equity Group out of San Francisco.

The Madison Building across the street is still for sale as of yesterday which City of Toledo is selling.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; February 5th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #1439
Bonjourtoledo

SSOE Expansion News Update

Gotta love them and they are a good firm to work with. I am quite in awe of their commitment to grow in downtown and the region. Since they've expanded out from their original location to the Hylant Building I wonder if they are expanding to another building somewhere in downtown?

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #1440
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Club News

Toledo Club is located on Madison/14th Streets with a gorgeous building and I have yet to go inside. I hear it's pretty good, however, I am tempting to whether to check out the place because of its amentities and reaching out the younger generation like myself.