daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1501
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

That's funny. Try to be a little informed before you spout off nonsense like that. Where exactly is there a junkyard in Swanton? There are some junkyards in rural areas between Holland and Swanton. There is also at least one in Sylvania Township but Sylvania has that dirty look that Toledo does not.

Im not saying toledo isnt dirty but toledo doesnt have that need for it. and if it did then residents in toledo would've welcomed it instead of started a petition to get it out.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1502
ilovetoledo

A Dying Downtown?
by SHAUN HEGARTY FOX Toledo News
Posted via website 2-14-2008
Yet another Downtown Toledo business shut its doors for good Thursday - Brenda's Chocolates of Toledo on Superior Street.
You may remember the candy shop as Superior Chocolate, but this latest close of another downtown business is becoming an alarming trend in the heart of the Central Business District.
"We've been here for six years and when I first arrived it was, I mean I thought it was great," says Brenda Reynolds. "But we've seen businesses continue to move out of town and the foot traffic gets worse and worse all the time."
Daily business has gotten so bad recently, especially since Superior Street was shut down for the new arena construction.
"The foot traffic is so bad," she says. "Business is so slow. I'm shocked how many businesses have left."
Bellacino's Pizzas and Grinders, on the corner of Huron and Adams streets, and Scarpe on North Michigan, a women's shoe store that was voted one of the Glass City's top businesses in 2006, also shut down recently.
But it's not all that bad. The flames are still burning strong inside Swan Creek Candle Company, across the street from Fifth Third Field. Ann Albright, the owner, admits 2007 was a little slow, but February is already looking great.
Albright is remaining optomistic about downtown.
"I know of three businesses right now, which I'm not at liberty to release, that are looking at downtown."
Businesses, though, seem to thrive and die in different parts of downtown all the time.
"They seem to be more noticeable when they're in a downtown because everybody is so sensitive to the renewal of a downtown," Albright tells FOX Toledo News.
But the situation a few blocks up at Brenda's Chocolates is not so rosy.
People are terrified to come down here at night," Brenda says. "The only thing that's down here are the clubs the homeless people and the panhandlers."

This is quite funny because i know a buisness owner downtown that has one resturaunt and one bar and is now opening up a coffee shop in The Edison Plaza. A dying downtown? NO. people just need to know how to get to the people, by catering and offering a good buisness that will keep people comming back for more.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1503
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I don't think anywhere in the region is appropriate for this development project except for the northern corridor of Detroit Avenue nearby Hoffman Landfill.

Your talking near Headliners right?if so then i totally agree wth ya Bonjour..... Nothin over that way except warehouses factories and open land
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #1504
ilovetoledo

Downtown Metropark

WTOL EDITORIAL
Toledo Area Metroparks is planning a new park. The nearly 30 acre wilderness park is going to be downtown, right on the banks of the Maumee river.

I like this idea. If you stood beneath the high-level bridge looking upstream, that's where it will be. I believe this is a chance to turn some pretty ugly property into a nice, riverside attraction.

And best of all, this beautiful new addition to downtown Toledo will come at less cost to taxpayers. Thanks to Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, a federal grant provided the money to buy the land and to clean up thousands of pounds of debris.

This is a great example of Toledo utilizing and improving a marvelous natural asset that most cities would love to have.
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #1505
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
A Dying Downtown?
by SHAUN HEGARTY FOX Toledo News
Posted via website 2-14-2008
Yet another Downtown Toledo business shut its doors for good Thursday - Brenda's Chocolates of Toledo on Superior Street.
You may remember the candy shop as Superior Chocolate, but this latest close of another downtown business is becoming an alarming trend in the heart of the Central Business District.
"We've been here for six years and when I first arrived it was, I mean I thought it was great," says Brenda Reynolds. "But we've seen businesses continue to move out of town and the foot traffic gets worse and worse all the time."
Daily business has gotten so bad recently, especially since Superior Street was shut down for the new arena construction.
"The foot traffic is so bad," she says. "Business is so slow. I'm shocked how many businesses have left."
Bellacino's Pizzas and Grinders, on the corner of Huron and Adams streets, and Scarpe on North Michigan, a women's shoe store that was voted one of the Glass City's top businesses in 2006, also shut down recently.
But it's not all that bad. The flames are still burning strong inside Swan Creek Candle Company, across the street from Fifth Third Field. Ann Albright, the owner, admits 2007 was a little slow, but February is already looking great.
"I know of three businesses right now, which I'm not at liberty to release, that are looking at downtown."
Businesses, though, seem to thrive and die in different parts of downtown all the time.
"They seem to be more noticeable when they're in a downtown because everybody is so sensitive to the renewal of a downtown," Albright tells FOX Toledo News.
But the situation a few blocks up at Brenda's Chocolates is not so rosy.
People are terrified to come down here at night," Brenda says. "The only thing that's down here are the clubs the homeless people and the panhandlers."

This is quite funny because i know a buisness owner downtown that has one resturaunt and one bar and is now opening up a coffee shop in The Edison Plaza. A dying downtown? NO. people just need to know how to get to the people, by catering and offering a good buisness that will keep people comming back for more.
You must certainly be talking about Ed Beczynski, who owns the now Mo Joe's, The Blarney Irish Pub, and Foccacio's. What a great man for investing in downtown. I make the long cold walk to Mo Joe's every morning to grab a Mocha to support his business.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #1506
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

How bout them Rockets beatin the Bobcats?

yeah, Toledo ruined our season. It's payback for last year when we destroyed their perfect MAC record.

Yea Weezer sux

They used to be good, but after Pinkerton, it was all downhill. Still, "Tired of Sex" remains one of the rawest post-punk songs to come out of the 90's, and proved that Weezer was not all sunshine and frat-soaked rainbows. "Only In Dreams" has that epic buildup and incredible guitar solo at the end, and it is just a beautiful song. It has one of the best closings to a rock song in history. And you can damn well bet on "Say It Ain't So" being covered by college bands for decades to come. Weezer certainly put out some good music, just not lately.

"My Name is Jonas" is on Guitar Hero. That's certainly not one of their stronger works.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; February 16th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #1507
Pilliod Njaim

Care to clarify what you mean by this? I'm quite curious of your comment.

Toledo gets some of the tax money it will generate. Normally, when businesses open in the suburbs, the central city completely misses out. At least Toledo set up some JEDZ.

I still think this new hospital is completely a waste though.
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #1508
Pilliod Njaim

Bonjour, the Channel 36 story wasn't that bad. They at least showed both sides of the story:

BTW, who cares about Channel 36? It's all about Channel 11, baby. Channel 11 is the highest-rated and best quality news station in Ohio.

Truthfully though, I watch Channel 13 for Sashem Brey (hottest news chick in America), and because it's decent quality news. Channel 13 is the second best in the market.

Occasionally, I'll watch Channel 24 for Kylie Conway (pretty damn sexy too), but it's amateur as all hell and has pathetic production values. Channel 24 looks like news from Columbus, and Columbus is legendary for its jokingly bad broadcast journalism across the entire market.

Channel 24 also carries the most conservative bias in the Toledo market (which really is moderate when compared to rest of the state, or even liberal compared to Cincinnati). The only reason to ever watch 24 is Kylie- she's just really cute. Channel 11 and Channel 13 offer much slicker and higher quality news. I never really watch Channel 36, and don't have much to say about it.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; February 16th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1509
ilovetoledo

You must certainly be talking about Ed Beczynski, who owns the now Mo Joe's, The Blarney Irish Pub, and Foccacio's. What a great man for investing in downtown. I make the long cold walk to Mo Joe's every morning to grab a Mocha to support his business.

Yes i am so i guess we agree on something. 3 buisnesses he has opened in the downtown area and Fox wants to make a report on how our downtown is dying? Tell Ed that because apparently he has beat the odds that no one seems to be able to beat downtown. I dont really see him stopping anytime soon so hopefully he opens a dance club or something closer to the new arena that will be fun. Anyone going to the St. Pattys party at the Irish Pub? It's so much fun.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1510
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Arrowhead: Marriott Residence Inn Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1511
rustbeltrevival

Quiznos...

On a somber note, Quiznos downtown has apparently closed its doors. This is especially bad timing next to the recent ridiculous reports of business leaving downtown left and right (if the Free Press and the City Paper can mention new businesses that open downtown, why can't The Blade? Does it make better business sense to bring people negative news? I'd rather read positive news, which is why I check this forum daily!).. Hopefully something will take its place soon. They always seemed to be doing fairly well, so this suprised me a bit, especially as I know the owners and had heard nothing of this until I saw it today... Of course, there is a certain "critical mass" at which downtown businesses that are primarily opened for lunch can operate with the number of people working downtown. We who work downtown still have at least 15 good lunchtime options that I can think of, and I'm sure there are at least 5 more. Nonetheless, Quiznos, you will be missed.

In positive news, the apparent opening of the Ottawa Tavern on Adams April 3 is one step closer to the creation of a true Arts/Entertainment district on uptown Adams Street. There is a local theater group out of there, and a few artist studios, a frame shop, and four solid bars/restaurants within 1/3 of a mile. Its actually starting to remind me a little of Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh between East Liberty and Lawrenceville, if anyone is familiar with that area.
rustbeltrevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #1512
Bonjourtoledo

Thanks Rustbeltrevival for your post, I am glad to hear about the progress of the Adams Street Development especially the Ottawa Tavern. It's been quite some time (I think almost 2 years) since the announcement that they are FINALLY opening. I love to see the former Studebaker Car Dealer building to be rehabbed as a loft-style residence which is located on Adams in between 13th and 14th Streets.

As for Quizno's, I'm quite surprised by the closing so sudden since they always seem to get good business. I know with the Fifth Third Bank headquarters moving to One Seagate Center and the downtown arena construction, I wonder if they are the actual cause for the shuttering. With Superior Street closed off it had to impact the flow of traffic, along with the opening of City Hall Grill and with the new location of Subway. It certainly does not help with the stagnant national economy, renovating of the Valentine Theatre (since the explosion) and the closing of COSi.

To give a serious jolt to the downtown area, it's time for the following things to happen:
*MLK Jr. Bridge to be completed,
*Reopen the former Portside Marketplace back to its shopping destination,
*Sell the Erie Street Market to entrepreneurs,
*New downtown arena to be completed,
*Proposed TARTA/TARPS Intermodal project to begin,
*Move Greyhound station to the MLK Jr. Union Station,
*Proposed Water Street Steamplant Loft project to begin,
*The Hytower Fiberglass building to be sold and rehabbed,
*Downtown Metroparks to be completed,
*Expand the Seagate Convention Center for the ballroom atrium,
*Open a Toledo-Lucas Historical Museum in the Pythian Castle building,
*Open a University of Toledo Downtown Campus,
*A major employer (500+ employees) to move in from outside of the region
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1513
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Bonjour, you idea of a museum in the castle building..... Was that something you came up with or have you heard they are planning on doing that? I like the sound of that idea... Always have wanted to go thru that building...... Isnt there something similar to the castle in Detroit? I wanna say somewhere near Comerica Field a few blocks away across woodward?
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1514
Bonjourtoledo

Mercy Health Partners: Monclova Hospital Development

Strayer Road Hospital Approved By Monclova Township Trustees
BY NANCY GAGNET MIRROR REPORTER
Posted on Maumee Mirror Website

After a public hearing, the Monclova Township trustees voted unanimously to approve a site plan for a proposed $73 million medical facility at the corner of Strayer Road and US20A.

The medical facility is a joint venture between Mercy Health Partners and a group of physicians, who want to bring their medical facility closer to patients who reside in southwest Lucas County.

Although the proposed facility is only two miles from St. Luke’s Hospital, the purpose of the hearing was not to address whether or not the area needs medical buildings, trustees said.
“It’s not within our jurisdiction to pass judgment on that,” trustee Gary Kuns said.

“Just because we support this project, doesn’t mean we don’t support St. Luke’s Hospital,” Kuns said, addressing several St. Luke’s employees who were in the audience.

The Lucas County plan commission and the Monclova Township zoning commission had already approved the site plan – with 52 conditions attached – prior to sending it to trustees for a vote. One of those conditions was the removal of a proposed helipad.

Trustees attached two additional conditions: that the applicant could not request a tax exemption on the land and property; and that standing water on the northeast corner of the property be removed.

Mercy Health Partners agreed to all conditions and the plan was approved.
The medical facility would sit on the corner of a 28-acre parcel and consist of a physician-owned medical office building and a short stay surgical hospital.
The 190,000-square-foot facility would house 34 beds, four surgical suites, two procedure rooms, a laboratory, radiology, a pharmacy and an emergency room along with other diagnostic care units.

Following the public hearing and vote regarding the site plan a public hearing was also held in regard to a zoning issue within the site.

The project is part of a joint economic development agreement with the cities of Toledo and Maumee and the township would receive both real estate and income tax revenue from it.

According to Mercy Health Partners the facility would also generate $826,000 annually to the Anthony Wayne School District.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1515
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Bonjour, you idea of a museum in the castle building..... Was that something you came up with or have you heard they are planning on doing that? I like the sound of that idea... Always have wanted to go thru that building...... Isnt there something similar to the castle in Detroit? I wanna say somewhere near Comerica Field a few blocks away across woodward?
The museum in the castle was my idea, but I wish it was in the works in that fashion. However, I have heard "rumors" in the past that the building was to be rehabbed into some sort of residential-loft or retail-office type building. I truly believe a Historical museum would be a perfect fit for that building.

The Pythian Castle (according to the Lucas County Auditor's office) is currently owned by Toledo's Pythian Castle LLC on 2223 Robinwood Avenue which is located in the Old West End neighborhood.
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #1516
Pilliod Njaim

The 190,000-square-foot facility would house 34 beds, four surgical suites, two procedure rooms, a laboratory, radiology, a pharmacy and an emergency room along with other diagnostic care units.

34 beds is an extremely small hospital. St. Luke's, which is a small hospital in the Toledo market, has 185 beds. Maybe this new hospital won't be that much competition after all...
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #1517
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Arena Development UPDATE

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1518
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Retail Developments

IMHO, the construction of the new downtown arena, the loss of three parking lots and closing up the portion of Superior Street in between Madison and Jefferson Streets is impacting these businesses in a huge way.

Yes, the national economy can be the reason but the ongoing construction of the arena is really changing downtown fast, along with the closing of COSi and the temporary closing of Valentine Theatre due to the last December's explosion. Ken's Flowers should've bought the former Hill Florist Building on Superior across from Tony Packo's at the Park restaurant which has abundance of parking and they would do well at that location.

Also Diva (which I love the place) should've looked at the properties along Adams Street or even St. Clair Street by Downtown Latte and Home Slice which have abundance of free parking as well. As I have always say in the past when a door closes usually another door opens.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1519
ilovetoledo

Oh my god if i hear about one more downtown buisness closing im going to loose it. What is happening down there? I thought the arena would've made buisnesses think about relocating downtown not closing up shop.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM   #1520
Pilliod Njaim

^this is perhaps more closings than usual in such a short time period. Ken's and Diva's are big shocks to me, and they will be missed.

Downtown business owners have complained about a lack of free parking.

This is not the root problem. The problem is that we live in a country that has sprawled to kingdom come and is completely reliant on the automobile. Americans have abandoned their cities, and the effects are still being felt, even as downtown's population starts to rebound. Toledo, like most American cities, also has a poor mass transit system. 50 years ago, nobody complained about parking downtown, and there were hardly any spots outside of what was available on the street. Downtown was still thriving by any measure.

The anti-walking attitude in this country is the problem. Many times, there is cheap (or free after 5 or 6pm) parking on the street within a short walking distance from these places. The problem is some people are too damn lazy to even walk a block or two (and cold weather doesn't help). They don't realize that they actually walk just as far when they park in giant surface lots at Franklin Park or Fallen Timbers.

I would say economy is a big factor too, as things are not good in Ohio right now. Flowers and high-end dining are expendable in these trying times. The sooner that arena opens, the better.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; February 21st, 2008 at 01:53 AM.