daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:50 AM   #1521
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
Oh my god if i hear about one more downtown buisness closing im going to loose it. What is happening down there? I thought the arena would've made buisnesses think about relocating downtown not closing up shop.
Like I mentioned before, the construction of the arena is making waves by taking away available parking lots (3-4 of them which I know of are gone) and property owners are raising their rents and value because they know the arena is going to a boon such as Fifth Third Field. IMO, new and relocated businesses will start opening up around the arena close to its grand opening (Fall 2009) or sometime afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:05 AM   #1522
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
^this is perhaps more closings than usual in such a short time period. Ken's and Diva's are big shocks to me, and they will be missed.

Downtown business owners have complained about a lack of free parking.

This is not the root problem. The problem is that we live in a country that has sprawled to kingdom come and is completely reliant on the automobile. Americans have abandoned their cities, and the effects are still being felt, even as downtown's population starts to rebound. Toledo, like most American cities, also has a poor mass transit system.

I would say economy is a big factor too, as things are not good in Ohio right now. Flowers and high-end dining are expendable in these trying times. The sooner that arena opens, the better.
I agree it may not be the root problem but it's one of the major factor because we live in a society where people want abundance of available parking with no hassle (i.e. Wal-Mart, Meijer, mall, etc).

However, poor mass transit system (TARTA) in this region because it's fragmented based on what jurisdiction they serve. TARTA is about to be the only urban transit system in the state of Ohio that rely on property tax (which entails by current supported jurisdictions) versus Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Akron transit authorities which derives from sales tax.

Typically sales tax generates more funding than property tax and by having sales tax, the transit authorities are able to serve "countywide". Currently, TARTA only serves nine communities such as Toledo, Perrysburg, Rossford, Ottawa Hills, Maumee, Spencer Township, Waterville, Sylvania and Sylvania Township and it's extremely fragmented IMO.

The public transit is not served in Monclova Township, Springfield Township, Oregon and Perrysburg Township where there's huge growth and it's causing a transportation/economic barrier in making the connections between jobs and large population that can serve the employment needs. I.e., you cannot work at Best Buy in Springfield Township at $9/hour and be able to afford a car (insurance, fuel, maintenance) and live in the cul-de-sac homes in the townships. Most folks who need to get to Best Buy will come from where the majority of the population reside (TOLEDO!).

If TARTA has the tax mechanism like Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, and others, the public transit would be 110% better with more available funding since federal and state dollars are shrinking every year.

Yes, the sooner the arena opens, the better. With hockey on its way and the pending announcement for arena football in a couple of weeks nothing can be better than this.
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM   #1523
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Retail Developments UPDATE

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:30 AM   #1524
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

Hail to Ed. hahah. Downtown buisnesses need to ADVERTISE. I've never really heard of Diva until now. And i wouldnt because i dont go downtown everyday. So to get people to come from the suburbs to your resturaunt wouldnt you want to advertise there to attract people. With out the public's awareness that you are there, you do not exist. The only people who have HONESTLY heard of Diva are the people that live downtown and work downtown. Occassionally you will have some others but honestly this is a major problem. The reason the docks get such good buisness is because it is reconized by the public and everyone knows and has heard of it. How many times have you seen Tony Paco's adds in the paper of what have you. Look at Ed Beczynski he advertises at the Mud Hens (great idea!). They need to get their name out on the street or else you will see what happens. I swear that this is the root of the problem.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:51 AM   #1525
ToledoProgrammer

Ed does a good job too of cleaning up his storefront and making it presentable. Diva, from the outside, didn't look of much. If I can't see inside, I think twice about going in. Blarney there is an abundance of signs off of Monroe Street, with a nice outdoor patio for the summer, and live music. Foccacio's and Mo Joe's are in high foot traffic areas.

These businesses might be failing, but that's not a blow to downtown. Less parking spaces means we need to build more mid-high end living spaces like the Bartley Lofts and the Townhomes because those are the people most willing to make the walk for food, flowers, etc.

I also agree with Bruce Rumpf that the city needs to make downtown more attractive financially for business start-ups. A 500+ employer coming in is doubtful for some time, but we can nurture and encourage small business from within to retain people and dollars in the downtown area.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1526
rustbeltrevival

Diva and such...

First of all, I agree with Bonjour on the whole sprawl issue.. but this has simply baffled me for years, and for whatever reason, a whole lot of people just don't seem to get it.. I hope more than anything that we find a solution to this energy crisis, but one would think that rising transportation costs would reverse the trend based purely on efficiency. That just doesn't seem to be happening on a large scale right now, but I hope that it will at some point.

The people who live close to downtown and or work downtown, like myself, are stunned at the closure of an establishment like Diva. Diva was arguably the best restaurant in the city. However, what has been brought to my attention is that some people, many people who live in the suburbs or surrounding towns, simply won't come to downtown because they consider it dangerous or difficult to navigate. The "parking" problem, while I agree people are lazy, might be more of a "my car may get broken into" problem, because people are simply unaware of what downtown is actually like. But this is why the warehouse district is booming while the business district is struggling: the Stadium has introduced so many people to downtown who would not typically be exposed to it. That is why the arena is such a good idea. While it may not do a ton to directly bring downtown back up, in the sense that its not going to be a huge employer, it will do great work to make more people comfortable with the idea of going downtown, which will help to revitalize that part of the neighborhood. The third part is dominated by government, the northern part, so that will always be relatively stable. So the way I see it, we have the southern and northern part of downtown doing well, we just need to work on that center part, which is where the arena will be. We also have the benefit of having a geographically small downtown, which makes it easier to concentrate efforts.

On a political note, whatever your affiliation, it's pretty awesome to have all three major candidates coming into town in the next four days. I hear McCain is staying the night at the Park Inn downtown with his 40 person entourage. Nice little shot in the arm!
rustbeltrevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1527
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

How does everyone feel about the Walleye as the new name of our hockey team? I personally like it cant wait to see what the jerseys will look like.... The fish logo could be a lil better i think.... People at ToledoTalk are dissin the name hard. Why cant they call them the Storm? Is that Gladieux's doing?

And also I read in Mondays paper that the Curtice rd ramps and overpass will be closed for up to 60 days soon. This will be to finalize the upgrades that Menards had to do to the roads to be allowed to build where they are. I drove by today and some of the traffic lights are already up. Im not sure if this means Menards will be open by then or not because there is anotehr entrance off Brown rd.... Also in that same article it talked about how Wheeling will be widened from 280 to woodville..... That will help out the 280/navarre/ woodville area hopefully we can see somethin boom in that area
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1528
Bonjourtoledo

rustbeltrevival, thanks for your insights which I agree as well. McCain staying at Park Inn is quite a coup, I'm surprised they weren't staying at the Hilton at UT Health Science Campus.

MudHen419, people at Toledo Talk and Swampbubble DISS about EVERYTHING period. The people from both of these sites do not know how to have a constructive dialogue and they b*tch endlessly that's why I don't even bother reading it because it's so negative.

I personally love the Walleye name, logo, and mascot--it's quite a perfect fit for Toledo. Toledo Storm logo is a Gladieux trademark and I think the artistic aspect of the logo looks very amateurish. Bottom line, the name Storm has nothing to do with Toledo region and it was a smart move to ditch it.

Menards will be facing the I-280 freeway whereas there will be main entrances from both Brown and Curtice Roads since they sit right on the Oregon/Northwood line.

Wheeling to be widened in between I-280 and Woodville is looooong overdue. Plus communities of Northwood and Oregon needs sidewalks, pedestrian-friendly access, and public transit to be able enhance those area.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1529
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment UPDATE

Old February 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1530
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
rustbeltrevival, thanks for your insights which I agree as well. McCain staying at Park Inn is quite a coup, I'm surprised they weren't staying at the Hilton at UT Health Science Campus.

MudHen419, people at Toledo Talk and Swampbubble DISS about EVERYTHING period. The people from both of these sites do not know how to have a constructive dialogue and they b*tch endlessly that's why I don't even bother reading it because it's so negative.

I personally love the Walleye name, logo, and mascot--it's quite a perfect fit for Toledo. Toledo Storm logo is a Gladieux trademark and I think the artistic aspect of the logo looks very amateurish. Bottom line, the name Storm has nothing to do with Toledo region and it was a smart move to ditch it.

Menards will be facing the I-280 freeway whereas there will be main entrances from both Brown and Curtice Roads since they sit right on the Oregon/Northwood line.

Wheeling to be widened in between I-280 and Woodville is looooong overdue. Plus communities of Northwood and Oregon needs sidewalks, pedestrian-friendly access, and public transit to be able enhance those area.
SwampBubbles is ridiculous. If you want to argue about a smoking ban or taxes, thats your place. Its' like the Blade sometimes, they focus on the doom and gloom and never balance it with what good is going on in the community.

I like the team logo. I was a little weary of it at first, but seeing the logo and mascot it really does look pretty slick. I'm walking by the arena everyday just waiting for some vertical development, I'm really excited for its' completion.
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1531
BGFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
How does everyone feel about the Walleye as the new name of our hockey team?
I like it too. I am not really sure why so many people are so against it. It fits well with the region and is unique.

And, I believe Menards will open in March with the one on Alexis in May maybe.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM   #1532
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Greetings -
The Blade says that Obama and Clinton will be making stops in Toledo in the next four days - and Bill Clinton will be in Bowling Green this Sunday...FYI.

Also, can anyone tell me about the plan to build a new city west of Toledo in, I believe, the 1970s? I heard something about this somewhere, and maybe read a little bit about it here - I also heard that the developer of that canceled project went on to build Portside. Anyone know of any articles that might talk about the fated new town west of Toledo?

Thanks -
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1533
ilovetoledo

I like the the name its fits Toledo.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:52 AM   #1534
ilovetoledo

I heard that the commisioners had discussed something about a big screen on the outside of the arena to emulate Times Square in New York. Is this true? And they still dont kno exact price of the arena they have estimated, so i guess my question is are we hoping they spend more on it to make it look nice or what?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM   #1535
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
I heard that the commisioners had discussed something about a big screen on the outside of the arena to emulate Times Square in New York. Is this true? And they still dont kno exact price of the arena they have estimated, so i guess my question is are we hoping they spend more on it to make it look nice or what?
I'm pretty sure there will not be a big screen out front....but if they do....it would certainly look nice near the big artwork they will have on display in honor of Art Tatum.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #1536
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Greetings -
The Blade says that Obama and Clinton will be making stops in Toledo in the next four days - and Bill Clinton will be in Bowling Green this Sunday...FYI.

Also, can anyone tell me about the plan to build a new city west of Toledo in, I believe, the 1970s? I heard something about this somewhere, and maybe read a little bit about it here - I also heard that the developer of that canceled project went on to build Portside. Anyone know of any articles that might talk about the fated new town west of Toledo?

Thanks -
This sounds interesting....... The part about the new city. Hopefully someone here can recall something about it.......

And on the arena....... I also remember hearing about the big video board on the outside.... Im not sure if its necessary but if other arenas similar to ours have something like it then im all for it... It definatly would look cool... Not sure what the price tag on those sorts of things are but if its a reasonable price then i say take it....

I've been hearing reading about a lot of people who dont agree with where the arena is going and or how big the arena will be..... Issues with super blocks, parking, or what side of the river it should have went on are probly the most commonly talked about. But I read something about the new arena not being big enough to host NCAA tournament games? Is this true? I was hoping we could have March Madness in Toledo but if that doesnt work is there any way we could get the MAC tournament back? I think it would fit pretty good in Toledo now..... Back when we hosted in the mid 90's there was nothing downtown. I liked the way Seagate handled the events and with the new arena you could have games going on at both venues at once. It make the tournament more centrally located now since NIU and Buffalo are in the MAC
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1537
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

the whole sprawl issue.. but this has simply baffled me for years, and for whatever reason, a whole lot of people just don't seem to get it.. I hope more than anything that we find a solution to this energy crisis, but one would think that rising transportation costs would reverse the trend based purely on efficiency

We live in a culture that does not care about the future. Americans live for the here-and-now, and they don't think about the consequences of their actions. I think by the time people do finally "get a clue", it may be too late...

Part of the reason our counterparts in Europe have grown so distant from us is that they see our lifestyle choices (suburbs, oil-guzzlers, fast food, big box chains, obsession with beauty/sex, rampant consumerism, etc.) and think we're killing ourselves both on a physical and emotional level. And they're right. When it comes to lifestyle, Europeans are healthier than us. Based on almost any measure, we are the unhealthiest people in Western culture. We have the highest obesity rates, highest STD rates, highest infant mortality rates, highest teen pregnancy rates, highest abortion rates, highest violent crime rates, highest rates of depression/anxiety/ADD, highest car accident rates, highest drunk driving rates, etc., etc., etc.

We are a people that desperately need to change the way we live.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; February 22nd, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1538
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

People at ToledoTalk are dissin the name hard.

ToledoTalk is pathetic. The posters tend to be extremely pessimistic and afraid of change. Many live in the suburbs, not the city, and some go on there just to rant about how their boring, crappy suburban locale is better than Toledo for whatever sad reason they can come up with. Many posters do nothing but complain. Skyscrapercity is a much better place to discuss the urban happenings of Toledo. We have a very good thing going on this development thread.

With that said, I like the name "Walleye". It fits the city perfectly and is quirky enough to stand side-by-side with "Mud Hens."

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; February 24th, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM   #1539
ilovetoledo

AGREED!
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1540
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Shipyard Development News